SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» legal action
Today at 8:48 pm by Vincemac

» SIDMCFC
Today at 8:10 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 7:56 pm by oldblackcat

» Am i imagining this
Today at 7:46 pm by Vincemac

» lucky lucky me
Today at 3:22 pm by Silvers

» N'Dong
Today at 3:21 pm by Silvers

» Predictions Week 8
Today at 9:53 am by Panther

» Who would have thought it
Yesterday at 6:40 pm by cyprussyd

» Soon be Saturday
Yesterday at 3:59 pm by cyprussyd

» Charlie Wyke
Yesterday at 2:55 pm by Kipper

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Why Stewart Donald?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Stewart Donald?

Post  Argus on 2018-05-01, 9:33 am

Despite all the positive news in recent days, there's a nagging question that won't go away?

Why would someone with no apparent connection to this area want to be involved in the very precarious business of restoring the fortunes of SAFC?

Stewart Donald has openly admitted that his involvement is 'minor' so I presume that his international backers are simply using him as a  front - or a 'fit and proper person' as the EFL put it - but why pick him when I'm sure there are plenty with similar financial and personal CV's from this area who would have jumped at the chance to be involved?

I look forward to seeing the full details disclosed in the very near future.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Stewart Donald?

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-01, 10:07 am

Every man and his dog are so pleased to see Short go that whoever came in would get a massive welcome.

That said there are many unanswered questions still and the concern has to be Donalds life and business is in Oxford and the investors it seems in Spain and the USA so no local connection.

Hopefully all will become clear over the coming weeks

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  oxfordshire on 2018-05-01, 10:50 am

You do surprise me. How many club owners originally have a local connection. My view is this guy has a bigger involvement than just a front man and wants to make the club great again. Some people are never satisfied.
oxfordshire
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-01, 11:06 am

I wonder if Man City fans worried that their backers weren't local?
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-05-01, 11:09 am

oxfordshire wrote:You do surprise me. How many club owners originally have a local connection. My view is this guy has a bigger involvement than just a front man and wants to make the club great again. Some people are never satisfied.

O - you missed my point entirely.

Please look at your second sentence - Donald is NOT the club's owner - that title will belong to a group of international financiers.

I know nothing whatsoever about the man other than what I've read in the media and he could prove to be the 'Messiah' we've been looking for, but at the moment he is a complete unknown. 

What I don't understand is why he has been chosen to 'front' the consortium?

Given the circumstances, it's a fairly reasonable question and one I'm sure will not be limited to this forum.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2018-05-01, 11:14 am

Kipper wrote:I wonder if Man City fans worried that their backers weren't local?

My question was NOT about the backers, it was about their 'front' man.

Personally I couldn't give a hoot where the new owners were based as long as their money was clean and their intentions were honourable.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-01, 11:36 am

Argus wrote:
Kipper wrote:I wonder if Man City fans worried that their backers weren't local?

My question was NOT about the backers, it was about their 'front' man.

Personally I couldn't give a hoot where the new owners were based as long as their money was clean and their intentions were honourable.

OK, take your point. My guess he's going to be Chairman or have a significant influence in the management of the club. This is more than the bit part role that was originally talked about a couple of weeks back. So why him? He's got decent experience of building struggling football clubs. We're different to what he has been involved with but is there anyone local who has his experience?
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  lesmac on 2018-05-01, 11:46 am

Argos raises a interesting point. When the takeover was announced I was delighted to say the least. However, I started to get somewhat concerned when more information became available. For example, he is simply the front man for the consortium of foreign business men, he allegedly spent £10 million trying to get Eastlleigh promoted to the lower football league, he has changed manager a few times during his tenure. During the past few days I have given the situation a lot of thought and then I remembered the guy who announced that he had taken control of Manchester United, I think when Edwards wanted to sell. After a few days of high profile publicity including this guy standing on the pitch at Old Trafford doing keep ups with a football he suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. I hope that I am totally wrong and if I am I will return to my little dark fantasy world and promise never to have such thoughts ever again. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong.  affraid
lesmac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://lesmcleanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-01, 11:53 am

lesmac wrote:Argos raises a interesting point. When the takeover was announced I was delighted to say the least. However, I started to get somewhat concerned when more information became available. For example, he is simply the front man for the consortium of foreign business men, he allegedly spent £10 million trying to get Eastlleigh promoted to the lower football league, he has changed manager a few times during his tenure. During the past few days I have given the situation a lot of thought and then I remembered the guy who announced that he had taken control of Manchester United, I think when Edwards wanted to sell. After a few days of high profile publicity including this guy standing on the pitch at Old Trafford doing keep ups with a football he suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. I hope that I am totally wrong and if I am I will return to my little dark fantasy world and promise never to have such thoughts ever again. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong.  affraid

Don't worry, be happy. All will be well. It genuinely doesn't look like Short just went for the best deal for him. We find ourselves in a far better position than we were 3 days ago.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-05-01, 11:59 am

Kipper wrote:
lesmac wrote:Argos raises a interesting point. When the takeover was announced I was delighted to say the least. However, I started to get somewhat concerned when more information became available. For example, he is simply the front man for the consortium of foreign business men, he allegedly spent £10 million trying to get Eastlleigh promoted to the lower football league, he has changed manager a few times during his tenure. During the past few days I have given the situation a lot of thought and then I remembered the guy who announced that he had taken control of Manchester United, I think when Edwards wanted to sell. After a few days of high profile publicity including this guy standing on the pitch at Old Trafford doing keep ups with a football he suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. I hope that I am totally wrong and if I am I will return to my little dark fantasy world and promise never to have such thoughts ever again. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong.  affraid

Don't worry, be happy. All will be well. It genuinely doesn't look like Short just went for the best deal for him. We find ourselves in a far better position than we were 3 days ago.

Again a know nowt
But I’m sure short new what he is doing
He is a money orientated man
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-01, 12:24 pm

"It’s a great opportunity for a fresh start, especially at the end of such an awful season":

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SUNDERLANDECHO.COM

Prayers for Sunderland: Priest says ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ after SAFC takeover
A Sunderland-supporting priest says he and fellow Black Cats fans have “light at the end of the tunnel” now that the club is to be sold.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-05-01, 12:31 pm

Kipper wrote: love sunderland I wonder if Man City fans worried that their backers weren't local?
I don’t give a monkeys mate.  We had Francis Lee take over many moons ago and it was a bit of a disaster.  

Our present owner has only been to one match since the takeover and it dos’nt bother me in the slightest.  City fans knew then and everybody knows now that we are just a vehicle for putting Abu Dhabi on the map and investing into a failed business and making it profitable, which it is now.  

I understand Sunderland fans concerns about the lack of information re who are the ‘real’ backers, that’s inevitable because of the disaster with Short.

I suppose what I am trying to say if I had a choice of a fan or ex player with some money taking the club over for the love and loyalty etc or a multi billion pound business from Spain taking it over for business reasons then you know which one I’d go for.

If the backers are that Spanish company then it seems a bit pointless taking you over for advertising etc if you are not back where you belong.  Without breaking FFP rules it’s still going to require a fair amount of investment so ‘touch wood’. Happy days
Sid MCFC
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-01, 2:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Getty Images
Two days have now passed since the staggering news that Ellis Short has finally done right by the fans and passed on the torch to a man with fresh ideas and (potentially) bulging coffers, and we’re all on tenterhooks waiting for more more information.
Rumours doing the rounds on social and broader media are contrasting, and everything is still very much up in the air for some, with former player Michael Gray stating rather unequivocally that the deal isn’t as advanced as some believe.
However, Roker Report understands many of those rumours to be far off the mark, as our sources suggest that the deal is very much in the pipeline, with full confirmation only hinging on the standard EFL vetting process.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
As if that weren’t enough to add excitement to the much-needed relief on Wearside, those same sources also suggest that heir-apparent to the Sunderland AFC throne, Steward Donald, may be all that he’s cracked up to be and more, with suggestions of his actual net worth also substantially underestimated.
Indeed: Mr. Donald’s dealings with his former club Eastleigh FC boast a somewhat larger war-chest than the £8m valuation placed on the English businessman by many, considering his investment in squad and facilities alone took his overall spend to £10m. Who knows – we may even see the back of the pink seats?
Furthermore, Roker Report can reveal that the role of Mr. Donald in the takeover group is far more than purely a frontman – it’s safe to say that should the EFL approve the deal in due course, Mr. Donald will have a substantial stake in the club, if not the majority share, alongside an as-yet unnamed Spanish investor.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Photo by Pete Norton/Getty Images
It would even seem that the oft-relied on instability that comes from sharing/dealing equity with various Banking concerns may just be a thing of the past with the introduction of this new, dare I say, dynamic duo.
All of this is surely cause for concern for current CEO Martin Bain, who Roker Report understands is likely to leave the post he has occupied somewhat controversially for the last two years.
There is enough content regarding Bain’s tenure to fill a series of articles, and the legitimacy of his role in “helping” the club in any way is entirely debatable, but that’s for another time - suffice it to say that many fans will undoubtedly be glad to see the back of him and all that he represents as the lowest ebb of the club in decades.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Sunderland AFC via Getty Images
As for what it means for the boardroom in general we can only wait and see, though it seems clear that the new owners come bearing intent, and a resolve the likes of which we haven’t seen in an age. It would be safe to say that nothing is off the table and everyone will have to justify their place in the bright future of Sunderland AFC.
All of this will come as wonderful news to many Sunderland fans; fans that have been wandering through a desert in search of an oasis for far too long. For many of us it’s still sinking in that austerity and obscurity may not be our long-term future, but rather little more than a very temporary bump in the road.
By all accounts there is a shining light at the end of the tunnel we’ve been steaming through headlong for longer than any of us care to remember. Keep an eye on Roker Report for the latest.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-05-01, 2:50 pm

Stewart Donald.. that like a double Scottish name... is it not!

Yikes Crivens as the Broons may say

Short after putting money in for lots of managers

Got fed up and took his bank account away
As yet we do not know all those involved... but atm for me it is a step forward

Last edited by sunderpitt on 2018-05-01, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-05-01, 2:52 pm

sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-01, 3:12 pm

Micky Grays version does not add up me, I can see no way on earth that the club would have posted the statement they did if the deal was not all but rubber stamped.

I can also understand why everyone, including me, have those niggling doubts, the recent past hardly gives everyone reason for optimism, every cloud came with a black lining for we Sunderland fans and false dawns are an annual event for us.

But we, the fans can only hope that this time is the real deal and TBH the new owners dont have to achieve much to improve on the very low bar set but, hand on heart, I think we have exciting times ahead with all the prayers of many answered.

• Short--gone
  • Bain--probably gone
  • Manager in and secure
  • The old guard probably gone
  • Positive recruitment ahead
  • Loan players kept to an absolut minimum
  • Expectation replacing desperation
  • Games won
  • Goalkeeper keeping goal
  • On a personal note, my pink seat turning red.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-01, 3:21 pm

Stewart Donald has been speaking again on Sunderland, finances and how excited he is at taking control of the club

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SUNDERLANDECHO.COM

Stewart Donald reveals ‘competitive budget’ for new Sunderland manager and could sit with fans for Wolves game

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Why Stewart Donald?

Post  donaldfan on 2018-05-01, 4:43 pm

As an Eastleigh fan i can tell you that he is a man with passion,integrity and honesty. He would not have left his beloved Eastleigh if he didn't feel he could make a great impact and lead your club back to the Premiership where it belongs. He is more than a Chairman and often he stood on the terraces and had a beer or two with the fans on away games(although there were far fewer than you would take).
donaldfan

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-01, 4:59 pm

donaldfan wrote:As an Eastleigh fan i can tell you that he is a man with passion,integrity and honesty. He would not have left his beloved Eastleigh if he didn't feel he could make a great impact and lead your club back to the Premiership where it belongs. He is more than a Chairman and often he stood on the terraces and had a beer or two with the fans on away games(although there were far fewer than you would take).
Welcome and thank you for that, cheered me up no end  Very Happy Very Happy

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-05-01, 5:04 pm

donaldfan wrote:As an Eastleigh fan i can tell you that he is a man with passion,integrity and honesty. He would not have left his beloved Eastleigh if he didn't feel he could make a great impact and lead your club back to the Premiership where it belongs. He is more than a Chairman and often he stood on the terraces and had a beer or two with the fans on away games(although there were far fewer than you would take).

sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-05-01, 6:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2018-05-01, 7:33 pm

All good. Let's hope he can shift Eastleigh quickly.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-05-01, 8:57 pm

I am cautious about this takeover based on the information we have so far.  Donald is a stated front man for an alleged consortium and his footballing ability is based on pouring a reported ten million into a non-league club that was the equivalent of South Shields.His personal assets are reported to be less than that, so whose is it. or is it a tax dodge?

If he does take over his main experience will be based on Eastleigh and Oxford and with all due respect there is no comparison to us.  Not many can logically explain how we ended where we are but a big vision is needed to restore us quickly, otherwise we will stagnate into another backwater.  People are comparing us to Wolves and their recent history, but it has taken five years to get back into the Prem. It is either that or we go for a financially restricted build-a-team approach.

Anybody prepared for that?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-05-01, 9:25 pm

Hello Stewart Very Happy

No seriously, welcome and thank you for posting. If you have any knowledge of SAFC and our recent history you will understand our caution and even scepticism, but my goodness if this turns out well for us then Eastleigh will be my second team from now on Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-05-01, 9:54 pm

Nostalgic wrote:I am cautious about this takeover based on the information we have so far.  Donald is a stated front man for an alleged consortium and his footballing ability is based on pouring a reported ten million into a non-league club that was the equivalent of South Shields.His personal assets are reported to be less than that, so whose is it. or is it a tax dodge?

If he does take over his main experience will be based on Eastleigh and Oxford and with all due respect there is no comparison to us.  Not many can logically explain how we ended where we are but a big vision is needed to restore us quickly, otherwise we will stagnate into another backwater.  People are comparing us to Wolves and their recent history, but it has taken five years to get back into the Prem. It is either that or we go for a financially restricted build-a-team approach.

Anybody prepared for that?
I expect it.

His latest interview says he has moved on from being the front man and is now a major player and is worth a lot more that we thought,

Things are coming out by the hour and for me it sounds better and better.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum