SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Quiz 95
Today at 3:55 pm by cyprussyd

» Next target
Today at 3:51 pm by cyprussyd

» Well I wonder how long...........
Today at 3:08 pm by Billy D

» North East musicians
Today at 1:40 pm by Billy D

» Picture Quiz 5
Today at 12:08 pm by oldblackcat

» What odds could you have got
Today at 12:03 pm by Sid MCFC

» All set for
Today at 10:30 am by sunderpitt

» Quiz 94
Today at 10:19 am by oldblackcat

» No news is good news!
Today at 3:46 am by canary-dave

» We could have a SunderMad team
Yesterday at 10:12 pm by Billy D

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

SAFA Mackem

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Relegation article with a difference

Go down

Relegation article with a difference

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-04-22, 2:36 pm

Read this article in the Guardian today and it sums up the gallows humour of SAFC fans, while telling the dire tale of how we ended up where we are today. Some of the comments BTL are 'interesting' Very Happy

The most d
amning statistic for me was that we were only ahead in three home games in all of 2017 - and in total only for 20 minutes! And out of those 20 minutes we ended up losing two of those games. No wonder so many fans said enough was enough.

And yes I too think this feels far far worse than 1987. At least then we had some decent players - Gary Bennett, Eric Gates, George Burley, John MacPhail, Gordon Armstrong and Gary Owers. Plus we acquired Denis Smith and he brought Marco and the rest is history Plus we knew we did not really deserve to have been relegated. But who can honestly say we don't deserve it this time?

But repining gets us nowhere. We all know what needs doing to get us on the up again so for me its very much waiting for the club sale to go through and take it one day at a time. But I have no doubt we WILL rise again. SAFC may be down, but we are not out! love sunderland

Sunderland’s feckless decline was coming. At least fans have a parrot
Jonathan Wilson

The club’s drop to the third tier is far worse than that of 1987 and for many locals it got to the point where staying in the pub become more appealing than going to the Stadium of Light

Sun 22 Apr 2018 11.19 BST   Last modified on Sun 22 Apr 2018 11.27 BST  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sunderland fans shout at the linesman after a disallowed goal deep into injury time. Photograph: Richard Lee/BPI/REX/Shutterstock

The King’s Arms perches on the south bank of the Wear behind the waste ground where the Vaux brewery used to be. It’s a proper pub, at least 150 years old, with a fine range of beers, ancient octagonal tables and draughty toilets widely rumoured to be haunted. We always go there before the home game nearest to Christmas. Nothing much changes. You notice the odd dad who isn’t there any more, the odd kid who’s joined the group, but essentially it’s the same group of blokes catching up, having much the same conversation they have every year. Except this season, there was something different. This season there was a parrot.
I’m not sure anybody had realised the King’s needed a parrot but now it’s there it’s obvious it belongs. This is a pub that reeks of the docks and the shipyards and the city’s seafaring heritage. Of course it should have a parrot. And so Peter now sits on top of his cage, cynical and grey, brutally assessing the drinkers in his domain.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sunderland relegated as Liam Boyce’s injury-time winner gives Burton hope  

The previous home game, I was told, Peter had attacked a bald man. “Why divvin yer put it inside the cage?” he’d asked the barmaid as he dabbed at the wound. “Look,” she’d supposedly replied. “He’s here ahl the time. Ah’m not lockin’ ‘im up just cuz we’ve got customers.”
The story, I suspect, has been exaggerated in the telling, and it has been told a lot. I heard it at least four times that afternoon as the clock ticked round to ten to three. “Another round, lads?”
The Stadium of Light lies just across the river but it’s about a 15-minute walk from the King’s, round behind the B&Q and over the bridge. Nobody was in much of a hurry to get there. I don’t get to many games as a fan these days. I’d assumed Sunderland would be alright despite their poor start to the season. It didn’t take much of that game against Birmingham to realise how complacent I’d been. They were awful. They conceded a soft goal, equalised soon after and then did nothing, not even when Birmingham had a man sent off midway through the second half.
But worse was the sense of flatness. There should have been fury, virtuoso explosions of effs and cees, but there was a numb acceptance. This was just how it was. When a mate rang his wife to ask her to come and pick up their seven-year-old who, just after half-time at his first ever game, had decided he was bored and wanted to go home, most of us would happily have left with him.
In the whole of 2017, Sunderland took the lead three times in home league games. The first time, against Bolton, it lasted three minutes and within 10 minutes they were behind. The second time, against Millwall, it lasted four minutes and within eight minutes they were behind. The third time, against Fulham, the goal came after 77 minutes and Sunderland held on. They were ahead for 20 minutes at home in an entire year. Get battered around the head often enough and you lose the capacity to care.
This is far, far worse than Sunderland’s only previous relegation to the third flight, in 1987. Then, at least, there was a heroic last stand in a play-off, which that season involved the side third-bottom of the second flight and the teams third, fourth and fifth in the third. After a 3-2 defeat at Gillingham, Sunderland won 4-3 at home (after extra-time) to be relegated on away goals.
The night before the second leg, I had dinner with my mam and dad at the Roker Hotel where, it turned out, the Gillingham team were staying. We saw them, in their tracksuits, wandering along the seafront. The next time we went to the Roker, we got home to find our budgie dying in the bottom of her cage. We never went back.
It hasn’t just been the football this season. There’s been a pervasive sense of fecklessness and incompetence encapsulated by James Vaughan’s reaction to scoring at Burton. As he cupped a hand to his ear while running towards sceptical away fans, the club’s official Twitter feed congratulated him on getting his first for the club. That evening, he pointed out it was his second. The official feed apologised, noting it had been so long since his previous goal that they’d forgotten.
Darron Gibson crashed a wedding after a 5-0 defeat to Celtic in a friendly to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the opening of the Stadium of Light and drunkenly insisted to anybody who’d listen that most of the squad didn’t care. His contract was terminated six months later after an incident on his way into the training ground on St Patrick’s Day. Three times over the limit, he driven his Mercedes 4x4 into four parked cars.
And then there was the 17-year-old fan who dropped his trousers in the North Stand during the 3-1 defeat to Reading at the beginning of December and was alleged to have had defecated in his seat. He insisted he’d only urinated and blamed his pre-match consumption of 12 beers, six ciders and two Advent calendar chocolates.
The details, frankly, were largely irrelevant. It just added to the sense of a ludicrous club hell-bent on embarrassing itself. But on the plus side the King’s now has a parrot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: Relegation article with a difference

Post  Billy D on 2018-04-22, 2:42 pm

Excellent stuff.
I think Jerry's sister used to work at that pub.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry the Jinx on 2018-04-22, 3:29 pm

Billy D wrote:Excellent stuff.
She does again - and she's no fan of the parrot
Jerry the Jinx
Admin & Predictor Queen
Admin & Predictor Queen

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-04-22, 5:15 pm

Jerry the Jinx wrote:
Really, why not?
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-04-22, 5:17 pm

Billy D wrote:
Jerry the Jinx wrote:
Really, why not?

She's a bit low in the pecking order  Smile

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum