SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Bristol Rovers
Today at 6:12 pm by gil t azell

» Weekend Weather.
Today at 3:08 pm by sunderpitt

» Predictions Week 18
Today at 2:55 pm by vinkel

» From the Don
Today at 2:41 pm by Hieronymus

» Need Help in Identifying Some Sunderland AFC Autograph's on a shirt
Today at 2:40 pm by Hieronymus

» Sartori
Today at 12:08 pm by sunderpitt

» The bad old days
Yesterday at 10:16 pm by cyprussyd

» The South Stand
Yesterday at 8:57 pm by gil t azell

» Quiz 120
Yesterday at 6:59 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Santa's already been good to me
Yesterday at 6:29 pm by Nostalgic

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

A fantastic piece by Nick Barnes, IMO

Go down

A fantastic piece by Nick Barnes, IMO

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-04-12, 1:58 pm

So the season is all but over. Four matches left and Sunderland's destination almost certainly League One. Even IF Sunderland pull off a miracle and stay up I for one will be glad for the season to end. What has saddened me most over the past few months is the steady decline not just of this great football club but of the squabbling internecine factions that rather than all pull together and try and look forward and propose practical and pragmatic ways of rebuilding for the future have taken greater delight in the blame game. Players such as John O'Shea and Lee Cattermole have been roundly condemned, only for those players then to lead the way at Derby County for example. Chris Coleman castigated for having no tactical nous, for poor January signings, for an inability to motivate and then condemned on social media for ineptly substituting O'Shea against Norwich - when it turns out he was injured. I'm not defending the players or Coleman per se - the point I'm making is the problems are so deep rooted and historical that this endless stream of vitriol and often ill informed comment is not only mostly juvenile it is actually damaging the profile of the football club. The time to judge Coleman is next season when he's given the tools to work with. The time to judge the players is when we see who stays and who goes - then we'll have an idea of who Coleman believes has the character and strength to rebuild Sunderland. I've heard and read so much that is just wrong I bang my head against the wall in frustration. Rumour and speculation are as damaging as the rebukes. I understand the anger. I understand the frustration. I understand the hurt. But this fantastic football club needs the fans to pull together not fracture and disintegrate.

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2018-04-12, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A fantastic piece by Nick Barnes, IMO

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-04-12, 9:35 pm

Couldn't agree more Syd as I feel that somehow whatever we have touched lately has just turned to ashes, mainly through circumstances conspiring against us then ill intention.  We do not deserve to be relegated but it is now a reality so we have to live with it, we can all look back and say we should have done XYZ.  Simon Grayson turned out to be a failure, but he was a tried and tested championship manager who should have seen us through a season while we regrouped and sorted out our perceived player problems. Look at the enthusiasm when Lawrie Mac or MON arrived, or the clamour to keep Dick Advocaat.

Football is such a fragile thing now, just look at the bottom three of the Premier right now, all well-established clubs who have lost their way with long term managers, an old England failure just might do it for Palace and so on. Anywhere from tweflth downward are looking over their shoulder.

Next season holds no guarantees that we will bounce back with a bright young team playing against seasoned pros so the only thing we can look forward to is the ride, but with the knowledge that continuously kicking the club and team when it is down is not the way.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-04-12, 10:07 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Couldn't agree more Syd as I feel that somehow whatever we have touched lately has just turned to ashes, mainly through circumstances conspiring against us then ill intention.  We do not deserve to be relegated but it is now a reality so we have to live with it, we can all look back and say we should have done XYZ.  Simon Grayson turned out to be a failure, but he was a tried and tested championship manager who should have seen us through a season while we regrouped and sorted out our perceived player problems. Look at the enthusiasm when Lawrie Mac or MON arrived, or the clamour to keep Dick Advocaat.

Football is such a fragile thing now, just look at the bottom three of the Premier right now, all well-established clubs who have lost their way with long term managers, an old England failure just might do it for Palace and so on. Anywhere from tweflth downward are looking over their shoulder.

Next season holds no guarantees that we will bounce back with a bright young team playing against seasoned pros so the only thing we can look forward to is the ride, but with the knowledge that continuously kicking the club and team when it is down is not the way.  like
I fully appreciate your comments but MANY "circumstances conspiring against us then ill intention" is of course opinion based which we're all entitled to.

SAFC has had for a number of years now what some might call incestuous problems from the top right down through to AoL that through fear of failure has resulted in them never having been fully tackled. Relegation not once, not twice but more likely three times might finally allow a rebuild built from the base up on the time honored values of the North East. Opinion of course. 

Quite a number of players will be leaving, both contracted & not so League 1 will be no walk back to the Championship once we know who'll play for us.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-04-12, 10:17 pm

Short's recent parsimony has reduced us to a sorry state.. only when we have some new owners who have enough money to pay off debts and invest players will we be able to start and rebuild the club.. as with Glasgow Rangers it will take years

Like most on here I will trot along to support
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-04-12, 10:25 pm

sunderpitt wrote:Short's recent parsimony has reduced us to a sorry state.. only when we have some new owners who have enough money to pay off debts and invest players will we be able to start and rebuild the club.. as with Glasgow Rangers it will take years
Yes indeed, I quite agree.
And look what happened to Glasgow Rangers.
They had to close the club as a company & start a new one.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-04-12, 10:40 pm

Billy D wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:Short's recent parsimony has reduced us to a sorry state.. only when we have some new owners who have enough money to pay off debts and invest players will we be able to start and rebuild the club.. as with Glasgow Rangers it will take years
Yes indeed, I quite agree.
And look what happened to Glasgow Rangers.
They had to close the club as a company & start a new one.
It was mooted if you believe ESPN

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-04-13, 4:53 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Couldn't agree more Syd as I feel that somehow whatever we have touched lately has just turned to ashes, mainly through circumstances conspiring against us then ill intention.  We do not deserve to be relegated but it is now a reality so we have to live with it, we can all look back and say we should have done XYZ.  Simon Grayson turned out to be a failure, but he was a tried and tested championship manager who should have seen us through a season while we regrouped and sorted out our perceived player problems. Look at the enthusiasm when Lawrie Mac or MON arrived, or the clamour to keep Dick Advocaat.

Next season holds no guarantees that we will bounce back with a bright young team playing against seasoned pros so the only thing we can look forward to is the ride, but with the knowledge that continuously kicking the club and team when it is down is not the way.  like
I fully appreciate your comments but MANY "circumstances conspiring against us then ill intention" is of course opinion based which we're all entitled to.

SAFC has had for a number of years now what some might call incestuous problems from the top right down through to AoL that through fear of failure has resulted in them never having been fully tackled. Relegation not once, not twice but more likely three times might finally allow a rebuild built from the base up on the time honored values of the North East. Opinion of course. 

Quite a number of players will be leaving, both contracted & not so League 1 will be no walk back to the Championship once we know who'll play for us.
That should have read "THAN ill-intentioned. I wasn't being sanctimonious just only bemoaning the way last season went through the injuries, Bodgie and Ndong turning out to be duds after we laid out a fair bit of dosh for them and Khazri deciding he could not play for Moyes.  Maybe things would have turned out different if some of the players had stayed to fight for the club for at least one season but they chose to move on the minute we dropped.  All pie int the sky of course, but they could not wait to move out placing their wallets above loyalty when we needed them.

Sod's law has ruled too long and we deserve a break.

Not going down old argument avenues but feeling that the club made some decent moves that did not pan out. There is no way that we are in the situation you opine we are. We will come good.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-04-13, 8:35 am

We will never know the what if's, all gone and we can now only look forward.

In Coleman I believe we have the right manager, I know many disagree but we simple must stop the never ending sacking of managers, that alone has played a big part in our downfall so stick with him and help him.

This summer's transfer activity will be the key to future success or failure, we must invest, we must rebuild and we must do it properly. Division one brings opportunity, players are cheaper and Sunderland was a also ran in the Premiership but will be a big draw in division 1, players will want to join.

But the elephant in the room, the thing we all want and hope for is a change of ownership and I honestly believe that will take place when the final whistle is blown against Wolves. We won't have millions to invest, we won't have rich oil barons in charge but we will have owners who care, understand the club and have a feasible plan of action.

Before a penny is invested from new owners Coleman, who I hope is still here, will have cash to spend from the sale of players with cash coming in from our loan players before we sell any of the present squad.

Just about every area of the team needs changing or boosting with a goalkeeper top of the list, personally I would keep Ruiter as back up.

I can see O'Shea being offered one more year with a player coach role and again back up. Kone is a problem, does anyone want him?

The list goes on but I for one am looking forward and to read about a further relegation before we end this season makes my heart sink, I could never ever live in a world of such negativity, yes I will be told realism but for me its pure defeatism.

Nick Barnes is a man I admire greatly and he speaks very much for me in the post and next season we will hopefully have a crowd at games who also agree with him and that alone will bring with it a better atmosphere.

I hear about the deep routed problems at the academy but I see Honeyman, Gooch, Robson, Asoro, Maja, Pickering and others and think, it can't be all bad.

Our demise and present problems have come about, IMO not through lack of investment but poor investment and bad advice to Short. This resulted in Short deciding he wants out and that in turn led to the cash tap being switched off and the truth for me is very simple, change manager all you want, they will all fail until the tap is turned on again.

I am a very simple person and it makes life very simple for me, I dont support Short, Coleman or any players, I support Sunderland, a club I have supported all my life, for better or worse. Right now we are in the worse stage but that comes as no surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time but, better times are just round the corner.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-04-13, 9:01 am

cyprussyd wrote:We will never know the what if's, all gone and we can now only look forward.

In Coleman I believe we have the right manager, I know many disagree but we simple must stop the never ending sacking of managers, that alone has played a big part in our downfall so stick with him and help him.

This summer's transfer activity will be the key to future success or failure, we must invest, we must rebuild and we must do it properly. Division one brings opportunity, players are cheaper and Sunderland was a also ran in the Premiership but will be a big draw in division 1, players will want to join.

But the elephant in the room, the thing we all want and hope for is a change of ownership and I honestly believe that will take place when the final whistle is blown against Wolves. We won't have millions to invest, we won't have rich oil barons in charge but we will have owners who care, understand the club and have a feasible plan of action.

Before a penny is invested from new owners Coleman, who I hope is still here, will have cash to spend from the sale of players with cash coming in from our loan players before we sell any of the present squad.

Just about every area of the team needs changing or boosting with a goalkeeper top of the list, personally I would keep Ruiter as back up.

I can see O'Shea being offered one more year with a player coach role and again back up. Kone is a problem, does anyone want him?

The list goes on but I for one am looking forward and to read about a further relegation before we end this season makes my heart sink, I could never ever live in a world of such negativity, yes I will be told realism but for me its pure defeatism.

Nick Barnes is a man I admire greatly and he speaks very much for me in the post and next season we will hopefully have a crowd at games who also agree with him and that alone will bring with it a better atmosphere.

I hear about the deep routed problems at the academy but I see Honeyman, Gooch, Robson, Asoro, Maja, Pickering and others and think, it can't be all bad.

Our demise and present problems have come about, IMO not through lack of investment but poor investment and bad advice to Short. This resulted in Short deciding he wants out and that in turn led to the cash tap being switched off and the truth for me is very simple, change manager all you want, they will all fail until the tap is turned on again.

I am a very simple person and it makes life very simple for me, I dont support Short, Coleman or any players, I support Sunderland, a club I have supported all my life, for better or worse. Right now we are in the worse stage but that comes as no surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time but, better times are just round the corner.
I agree with much of that Syd.
Especially the tap bit.
Russia now supplies most of Europe with gas & can turn off the taps at will thus resulting to folk freezing to death in the winter.
Imagine that. No heating, no hot water, only the microwave to cook with.
I know I have a bleak outlook on life but I despair at times.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum