SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Bristol Rovers
Today at 6:12 pm by gil t azell

» Weekend Weather.
Today at 3:08 pm by sunderpitt

» Predictions Week 18
Today at 2:55 pm by vinkel

» From the Don
Today at 2:41 pm by Hieronymus

» Need Help in Identifying Some Sunderland AFC Autograph's on a shirt
Today at 2:40 pm by Hieronymus

» Sartori
Today at 12:08 pm by sunderpitt

» The bad old days
Yesterday at 10:16 pm by cyprussyd

» The South Stand
Yesterday at 8:57 pm by gil t azell

» Quiz 120
Yesterday at 6:59 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Santa's already been good to me
Yesterday at 6:29 pm by Nostalgic

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

International friendly: Netherlands v England

Go down

International friendly: Netherlands v England

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-03-23, 10:58 am

[th]Well I bet everyone is counting the minutes down until kick off, another fantastic, exciting England friendly.What was that, you are not excited well I never, the wonders of international breaks but at least it gives us a break from our beloved Sunderland. Dare I admit it? will they think I have a mental disorder, probably but, I can't wait for next Friday when we are back in action.Still the England game is something to talk about so here we go.International friendly: Netherlands v England[/th]
Venue: Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam Date: Friday, 23 March Time: 19:45 GMT
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live, online, tablets, mobiles and BBC Sport app. Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

Jack Wilshere's World Cup hopes look to be fading after his latest injury setback ruled him out of England's friendly against the Netherlands.
He did not travel on Thursday after sustaining a knee injury in training.
The Arsenal midfielder, 26, was hoping to win his first England cap since the last 16 exit to Iceland at Euro 2016.
But his latest problem highlighted the risk manager Gareth Southgate would be taking by including the injury-plagued Wilshere in his squad for Russia.
Southgate is hopeful Wilshere will recover in time to play some part in Tuesday's friendly against Italy at Wembley - but admitted his injury situation was "not ideal".
"It's difficult for me to say when he will report back because he's more experienced with it than I am, but it's definitely not a big problem. We just have to see how it settles. It's ongoing," said Southgate.
"It's not uncommon at all for players to experience it. It's disappointing for him in terms of this game, but given the injuries he's had and the progress over the last 18 months, he's made huge strides."

• Wilshere was told he could leave Arsenal last summer

• Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger still wants midfielder to stay

Wilshere's latest injury, however, has clearly offered Southgate food for thought and revives memories of the failed gamble taken by then manager Roy Hodgson at Euro 2016 after he selected him with only 141 minutes behind him in the final three games of Arsenal's season.
"That's the kind of decision we have to make on several players with injury issues. How many can you take with you? That's why I've spoken about physical requirements for a tournament for players to play at the required level," added Southgate.
"There's a level required physically at the top level of domestic and international football, not only in terms of getting on the pitch but performing at a very high level. To express the skills you have, you have to be at peak physical condition or you can't express that talent. For any player in the squad that's an important factor."
Southgate also admitted an eye had to be kept on Wilshere's long-term future, with his contract at Arsenal set to expire at the end of the season.
"It's certainly not ideal for Jack but there's a bigger picture. He's still a young player who has come back from serious injury. His progress over the last year has been notable," said Southgate.
"Whatever happens over the next few months, there is a longer future for Jack Wilshere and that's just as important as what happens over the next few months. Of course we'd want a player of his talent fit and available but he's had to overcome injuries and we have to be sympathetic to that."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jack Wilshere was injured during a training session

Number one shirt 'up for grabs'

One player with the opportunity to stake his claim for a World Cup starting place is Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, 24, who starts against the Netherlands and currently appears to be ahead in the race to be Southgate's first-choice in Russia.
Southgate insists he is clear on the goalkeeping position, saying: "I know who the World Cup keeper would be if we played tomorrow - but it's a very tight call, form is also important."
Stoke City's Jack Butland, Joe Hart from West Ham United and Burnley's Nick Pope are the other keepers in England's squad for the friendly matches against the Netherlands and Italy.
"If Jordan Pickford does well here then he gives himself a huge boost and gives us food for thought," Southgate added.
And he admitted Pickford's excellence with the ball at his feet and his distribution could have a bearing on his thinking ahead of Russia.
"It's certainly a dynamic," said Southgate. "All goalkeepers have different strengths. That is a particular strength of his and adds to the team in terms of how we want to play, but the pre-requisite is keeping the ball out of the net, so that has to be heavily weighted.
"We've spoken to our defenders about how we want to play but we've seen with Ederson at Manchester City that the goalkeeper is also important with that as well."

Van Dijk 'honoured' with armband

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Van Dijk is the world's most expensive defender
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has been named captain of the Netherlands, taking over from Arjen Robben after he retired from international duty in October following their failure to qualify for the World Cup.
Van Dijk, 26, joined the Reds from Southampton in January for a world record £75m fee for a defender.
He said: "It is great news, for me and my family. I am very happy with it, it is a great honour to be the captain of your country."

Match stats

Head-to-head

• Netherlands have lost just one of their past 13 matches against England (W5 D7) - the 4-1 defeat at Euro '96.

• Southgate, who oversees just his 15th game as England manager (W7 D5 L2), will be the Three Lions' 13th different manager to face the Netherlands.

• Ronald Koeman is the first Netherlands boss to face England in his opening game in charge.

• England have lost only one of their seven away games versus Netherlands, winning two and drawing four. That defeat came in a World Cup qualifier under Graham Taylor in October 1993 (2-0, with Koeman scoring the Dutch's opening goal via a direct free-kick).

Netherlands

• The Oranje have won eight of their past nine matches, winning the past five in a row. They last won six consecutively in June 2014.

England

• England are unbeaten in six matches (W4 D2), after their 3-2 defeat by France back in June 2017, although each of their past two games have ended 0-0. They last recorded three consecutive 0-0 draws back in November 1989.

• England have yet to win a friendly under Southgate (D3 L2). Indeed, England have not failed to win six consecutive non-competitive matches since April 1988.

• England will be without the injured Harry Kane, who has been directly involved in a higher share of the Three Lions' goals under Southgate than any other player (38% - 8/21).

• Jordan Henderson has provided four assists since Southgate assumed control of the England national team, twice as many as any other player.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: International friendly: Netherlands v England

Post  vinkel on 2018-03-23, 11:19 am

If and is still just an IF, we do go down. International breaks don't affect league 1 fixtures. See their is a silver lining after all.

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-03-23, 11:34 am

vinkel wrote:If and is still just an IF, we do go down. International breaks don't affect league 1 fixtures. See their is a silver lining after all.
Hi Oh

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-03-23, 12:01 pm

By nether regions we mean Holland right

Wiltshere is s good player and adds to the squad/team but not if he is a sick note. Same for Hendo with his planter faciiatis, he probably could not play several games in a short period of time.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum