SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» legal action
Today at 8:48 pm by Vincemac

» SIDMCFC
Today at 8:10 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 7:56 pm by oldblackcat

» Am i imagining this
Today at 7:46 pm by Vincemac

» lucky lucky me
Today at 3:22 pm by Silvers

» N'Dong
Today at 3:21 pm by Silvers

» Predictions Week 8
Today at 9:53 am by Panther

» Who would have thought it
Yesterday at 6:40 pm by cyprussyd

» Soon be Saturday
Yesterday at 3:59 pm by cyprussyd

» Charlie Wyke
Yesterday at 2:55 pm by Kipper

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

A question for the business savvy

Go down

A question for the business savvy

Post  vinkel on 2018-03-20, 4:19 pm

Would it be feasible for say 30000 fans to put in £4000 each to make an offer for the club.

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Re: A question for the business savvy

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-03-20, 4:25 pm

I would say no for many reasons. Buying the club is just the start, at present, without relegation we are losing 30 mil pa and short is writing a cheque for 3 mil a month to cover the shortfall.

We need very good businessman or woman with big pockets and there is a lot of sorting out to do clearing the decks of present players on big contracts, a lot of paying off his needed and that's before we start on transfers in.

When I look on here, not the liveliest of forums and see the differing opinions, football fans seldom agree on the way forward and we all know we are right.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-03-20, 4:37 pm

vinkel wrote:Would it be feasible for say 30000 fans to put in £4000 each to make an offer for the club.

Or alternatively wait until next season when 20000 fans donating £1 each and a Curly Wurly should just about sway the deal.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2018-03-20, 6:11 pm

Anyone looking at Sunderland Football Club with a purchase in mind will at first see an opportunity, as did Coleman, to be part of something huge. A sleeping giant once again!!

With the heart controlled and the brain seriously put into gear, they will then look at the financial practicalities of the challenge ahead.

There will be huge fixed costs, forget players and the actual football aspects. We have a huge stadium complex, the cost of running this alone would be challenging for any third tier club, add to that the premier league standard facilities at the Academy of Light, again huge basic costs of property and staffing. All other activities like hospitality will have to be cost neutral or profit making to continue.

It is so important to clear the decks in terms of the cost of playing staff, particularly the likes of Rodwell, Cattermole etc, who are totally unaffordable. A new wage structure will be paramount and consideration of what we can afford at U23, U21 and youth team level in terms of numbers of players, coaching and support staff. Not many clubs in the third and fourth tier will have anything like our set up.

The revenue income for the club in terms of gate receipts will be down considerably, not just because of attendances, but what we can realistically charge at that level. Good to see ticket prices have been reduced and to a level for kids and concessions that will attract as high a level of support as possible. Big crowds more important than maximising income.

I know that we have more in the way of parachute payments, but that will only be for one more year, I believe, so that can not be considered as a revenue stream for the next five year plan. Assuming we are debt free at the beginning of next season (thanks Ellis) , I hope Coleman can use some of that as a transfer kitty for sensible acquisitions, let's not raise our expectations too high.

All of the above is extremely challenging and unlikely to be a profit making business, so whoever comes in must expect loss making at the beginning and only gradual football success will generate the income and sponsorship to support their investment. To me, this wholly excludes a fan ownership approach alone as a way forward. However, fan involvement with a new owner/investor may be a good way forward from a community perspective rather than a financial one.

Would be interesting to see a sale advert for this!!!
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2018-03-20, 6:43 pm

vinkel wrote:Would it be feasible for say 30000 fans to put in £4000 each to make an offer for the club.
No.

As mentioned by others but in another word, Cashflow.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-03-20, 6:57 pm

Mackemneil wrote:Anyone looking at Sunderland Football Club with a purchase in mind will at first see an opportunity, as did Coleman, to be part of something huge. A sleeping giant once again!!

With the heart controlled and the brain seriously put into gear, they will then look at the financial practicalities of the challenge ahead.

There will be huge fixed costs, forget players and the actual football aspects. We have a huge stadium complex, the cost of running this alone would be challenging for any third tier club, add to that the premier league standard facilities at the Academy of Light, again huge basic costs of property and staffing. All other activities like hospitality will have to be cost neutral or profit making to continue.

It is so important to clear the decks in terms of the cost of playing staff, particularly the likes of Rodwell, Cattermole etc, who are totally unaffordable. A new wage structure will be paramount and consideration of what we can afford at U23, U21 and youth team level in terms of numbers of players, coaching and support staff. Not many clubs in the third and fourth tier will have anything like our set up.

The revenue income for the club in terms of gate receipts will be down considerably, not just because of attendances, but what we can realistically charge at that level. Good to see ticket prices have been reduced and to a level for kids and concessions that will attract as high a level of support as possible. Big crowds more important than maximising income.

I know that we have more in the way of parachute payments, but that will only be for one more year, I believe, so that can not be considered as a revenue stream for the next five year plan. Assuming we are debt free at the beginning of next season (thanks Ellis) , I hope Coleman can use some of that as a transfer kitty for sensible acquisitions, let's not raise our expectations too high.

All of the above is extremely challenging and unlikely to be a profit making business, so whoever comes in must expect loss making at the beginning and only gradual football success will generate the income and sponsorship to support their investment. To me, this wholly excludes a fan ownership approach alone as a way forward. However, fan involvement with a new owner/investor may be a good way forward from a community perspective rather than a financial one.

Would be interesting to see a sale advert for this!!!
FOR SALE
Excellent business opportunity consisting of
State of the art training facilities
Premiership stadium in need of cosmetic refurbishment(pink seats)
One time Bank of England club
Sleeping giant in self induced coma
Comes complete with squatter(Rodwell)

This business opportunity will appeal to a very rich man or a lottery winner who is still drunk

All viewings through sole agent Shorts Estate Agency

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-03-20, 7:20 pm

IIRC there are several German clubs that are wholly or partly owned by fans.

I think 100% ownership would be difficult with ongoing costs.
However if debts were all but cleared then 30,000 @ £4,000 each would be great for start-up costs (New players etc) then some very rich ano to take the club forward. How the shareholding would be split I.e. voting rights for new manager etc. Also who would represent the fans on the board wpuld be a moot point.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-03-20, 7:34 pm

sunderpitt wrote:IIRC there are several German clubs that are wholly or partly owned by fans.

I think 100% ownership would be difficult with ongoing costs.
However if debts were all but cleared then 30,000 @ £4,000 each would be great for start-up costs (New players etc) then some very rich ano to take the club forward. How the shareholding would be split I.e. voting rights for new manager etc. Also who would represent the fans on the board wpuld be a moot poi
For my 4,000 I would want a seat on the board and I am not a team player so the other 29,999 investors would have to do what I tell them.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum