SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» Just an observation
Today at 12:24 am by cyprussyd

» Maguire
Today at 12:23 am by cyprussyd

» Watmore
Today at 12:19 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 12:10 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» N'Dong
Today at 12:07 am by Silvers

» Max Stryjek
Yesterday at 11:59 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» legal action
Yesterday at 11:34 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Hero's and Villains
Yesterday at 8:31 pm by Silvers

» MOTM today
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by Kipper

» Who would have thought it
Yesterday at 6:42 pm by sunderpitt

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

RICHARD MENNEAR asks the questions

Go down

RICHARD MENNEAR asks the questions

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-02-13, 12:12 pm

RICHARD MENNEAR Email Published: 10:00 Tuesday 13 February 2018 

Despite Sunderland’s stunning fight back against Bristol City, manager Chris Coleman had a warning for his players. Having just about calmed down following an exhilarating Championship encounter at Ashton Gate, Coleman warned he wasn’t afraid to make big changes to tactics or personnel ahead of the visit of Brentford. 

The comeback was full of character, spirit and resilience but the opening 45 minutes which had seen Sunderland ship three poor goals was atrocious. With just 15 games left, Sunderland are scrapping for Championship survival, relegation to League One almost unthinkable, the opening half against the Robins can’t be repeated. Coleman warned: “I don’t mind leaving a player out, I don’t care who he is if I think we’re going to get a result and spark a reaction.” With that in mind, these are the big changes Coleman will be pondering ahead of the visit of Brentford: 

To switch to a flat-back four? 
By Coleman’s own admission, he has food for thought when it comes to which system to deploy. His favoured three at the back and wing-back system worked reasonably well to start with but then Sunderland were on the end of defeats to Cardiff City, Birmingham City and Ipswich Town with the win over Hull City sandwiched in between. Sunderland’s defence was all at sea against Bristol City; a ragged defensive line breached all too easily, confusion over when to play the offside trap and an inability to deal with simple through balls. When Coleman switched to four at the back, Sunderland had a solid base from which to build with the players seemingly more confident in their roles and responsibilities. Coleman must be close to starting with a flat back four with 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 two options. Which defender to drop if he switches formation? Given the defensive performances in recent weeks, there aren’t many defenders that are currently first pick. Billy Jones provided a good cross for Lee Cattermole’s header against the crossbar but was unconvincing otherwise. John O’Shea won’t have enjoyed watching Bristol’s goals back, while Tyias Browning and Jake Clarke-Salter, outpaced and out muscled at times, haven’t covered themselves in glory. Bryan Oviedo was poor against the Robins, he was hooked after an hour, with Clarke-Salter moved to full-back. He did okay but it isn’t his natural position. To give the best balance it wouldn’t be a surprise if one of the three centre-backs was dropped should Coleman switch formation. 

To start Aiden McGeady and/or Kazenga LuaLua? 
Both had a positive impact from the subs bench, McGeady with his sixth league goal of the season and while he can frustrate when he loses possession and there are question marks over his defensive work, there is no doubt he is capable of providing something special on his day. LuaLua caused problems when he came on and isn’t afraid to shoot from distance. Switching to a 4-3-3 formation would allow Coleman to shoehorn either LuaLua or McGeady into an attacking role to support Ashley Fletcher and Joel Asoro, who proved a nuisance out wide against the Robins. 

To include any returning players? 
Central midfield has been a problem this season – and last – but Coleman would have been delighted with Cattermole as he led from the front in the second half. Alongside him Ovie Ejaria offers a calmness and poise on the ball but tired second half and was complaining of a calf problem. The return to action of Paddy McNair and Jonny Williams, both of who played for the Under-23s against Exeter City on Sunday, will boost Coleman’s options. It is unlikely either will start against Brentford given how long they have been out but McNair did complete 90 minutes and Williams more than an hour. Crucially, Coleman does at least have good options ahead of a week that could define the season with the visit of Brentford followed by a midweek trip to Bolton Wanderers and then Middlesbrough at home. 

The next three games will go a long way to determining Sunderland’s Championship fate.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: RICHARD MENNEAR asks the questions

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-02-13, 1:36 pm

We have an appaling goal difference, so it is points that will save us.. wins and clean sheets should help the goal diff gap as well.

As I have said before I do not think formation is of crucial importance (It is of course  a contributing  factor ) as it is how the individuals perform  (or not as been our case). I do not blame Camp for any of the goals on Saturday just awful defenders
 I have generally considered Ovideo as the pick of the bunch but apparently he was poor on Saturday whereas Catts who has been hopeless was on form for once.
Coleman must be tearing his hair out with the inconsistency.

Clean sheets are probably the key to avoiding relegation.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-02-13, 2:31 pm

I think formation is very important, particularly in defence.

Our full backs need to be defenders first and attackers second and when we have two centre backs it is a system they understand, one takes the right the other the left,throw a third centre back in and it confuses them.

There is a reason they spend all week being drilled on who does what, nice legs but poor from the neck up.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-02-13, 5:12 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I think formation is very important, particularly in defence.

Our full backs need to be defenders first and attackers second and when we have two centre backs it is a system they understand, one takes the right the other the left,throw a third centre back in and it confuses them.

There is a reason they spend all week being drilled on who does what, nice legs but poor from the neck up.

^^^^^^^ Agree 100%.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-02-13, 6:09 pm

gil t azell wrote:

^^^^^^^ Agree 100%.

You miss the point.. if the players perform badly it does not matter what formation you have. By and large 4 or 5 at the back has and is not  the problem rather it is dire performances.

I hope whatever  formation is tried the players ride to the occasion and we keep a clean sheet
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-02-13, 6:15 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
gil t azell wrote:

^^^^^^^ Agree 100%.

You miss the point.. if the players perform badly it does not matter what formation you have. By and large 4 or 5 at the back has and is not  the problem rather it is dire performances.

I hope whatever  formation is tried the players ride to the occasion and we keep a clean sheet
I understand the point Sunders but my question would be did they play badly first half on Saturday because they could not be bothered or because they could not adapt to the formation.

Now one answer you could give is they played badly because they are bad players. But if that's the case how come they played well second half?

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-02-13, 6:45 pm

We need to play a flat back four imo.
Go 4-4-2 & get some wingers on.
From the start I mean.
We can't play three at the back, we never could.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-02-13, 7:51 pm

Billy D wrote:We need to play a flat back four imo.
From the start I mean.
like like like like like

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2018-02-13, 7:57 pm

From the start I mean.

Yup.

Experimenting with different formations is for pre season.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-02-13, 8:08 pm

gil t azell wrote:
From the start I mean.

Yup.

I like the Coal Man but he sets up like he did for Wales but we haven't the players for that.
I hope he learned some lessons from the Bristol City game.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-02-13, 8:26 pm

Billy D wrote:
gil t azell wrote:
From the start I mean.

Yup.

I like the Coal Man but he sets up like he did for Wales but we haven't the players for that.
Big test for him on Saturday Billy

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-02-13, 8:47 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:
gil t azell wrote:
From the start I mean.

Yup.

Big test for him on Saturday Billy
It certainly is Syd.
Fancy a draw myself. 1-1.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: