SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Seems insane.
Today at 5:55 pm by Nostalgic

» Sunderland v The Boro
Today at 5:29 pm by vinkel

» Emma Chambers rip
Today at 5:27 pm by vinkel

» Quiz 86
Yesterday at 10:33 pm by Hieronymus

» BREAKING NEWS FROM BBC
Yesterday at 9:51 pm by Billy D

» No news is good news!
Yesterday at 9:40 pm by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 26
Yesterday at 7:12 pm by oldblackcat

» Could have new owner by weekend
Yesterday at 5:53 pm by Billy D

» The concern about Short
Yesterday at 2:21 pm by Billy D

» Stadium of Plight
Yesterday at 7:45 am by Billy D

Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

Nostalgic

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The Carillon Way

Go down

The Carillon Way

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-02-09, 6:39 pm

Three contractors are bidding to refurbish the fence at the 10 Downing street. One is from London, another is from Liverpool, and the third is an ex matelot. All three go with a Downing Street official to examine the fence. The London contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. 
"Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about £900. £400 for materials, £400 for my crew, and £100 profit for me." The Liverpool contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for £700. £300 for materials, £200 for my crew, and £200 profit for me." The ex matelot doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the Downing Street official and whispers, "£2,900." The official, incredulous, says, 
"You didn't even measure like the others! How did you come up with such a high figure?" The ex matelot whispers back, £1000 for me, £1000 for you, and we hire the guy from London to do the job." 
"Done!" replies the government official. 

And that is what Carillion did!!!!
!

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Carillon Way

Post  canary-dave on 2018-02-10, 6:15 am

That is shocking

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-02-10, 9:13 am

This is closer to the truth than anyone will ever admit. While I would not claim government officials are corrupt, many I encountered in my time as an IT management consultant were incompetent and unable to manage professional business lawyers and their fancy commercial contracts. They were easily flattered by 'meetings' with Partners and Directors with expensive lunches, and flashy presentations.

I saw it with my own eyes when I was 'sold' (yes, they use that term!) to various government departments to work on IT projects that their own staff could have done just as well, or better since they knew the existing systems better than an outsider ever could, but who had been 'outsourced' or made redundant'. The fees my employer charged for me (sadly not my salary!) were five times what it cost to have a permanent employee. Disgusting and immoral IMO. Needless to say I only lasted a couple of years before returning to public sector employment with a local council. Took a 40% reduction in salary but I could look myself in the eye again.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum