SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com
Latest topics
» And the award for daftest question goes to..
Today at 10:08 am by sunderpitt

» I dare you
Today at 9:49 am by Hieronymus

» Catts
Today at 8:49 am by sunderpitt

» Quiz 106
Today at 7:56 am by Mackemneil

» League Table Week 02
Today at 5:31 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 02
Today at 5:29 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Quiz 105
Today at 5:19 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Well, well, well
Today at 12:14 am by cyprussyd

» Results of week 1 and fixtures for week 2
Yesterday at 11:11 pm by cyprussyd

» Predictions Week 03
Yesterday at 11:10 pm by Mackemneil

Thoughts about the squad? Are we good enough

Go down

Thoughts about the squad? Are we good enough

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-23, 10:14 am

I reckon this is one of the weakest squads I have known on 50+ years

We usually have a good keeper.. Atm both of them are dodgy and their howlers have cost us points.. please let them get better.

CBs JoS is needed to marshall them and that says it all really. I am discounting Kone on the assumption his heart is not in it or he will be away 

Ovideo is a decent LB and Matthews is not awful as RB (not sure why Jones get picked other than he heads on the goal keepers clearances)

Midfield is a mixture of misfiring/intermittent experienced players and a few lively youngsters. Gibson was okay until injured Catts has generally been awful.. others are sicknotes

Up front two promising young players (a lot is on their shoulders)

Will we drop? I guess a lot will depend on how bad others are around us.. we will not be great, a several game winning run is umlikely.. but hopefully we will scrap for points

We are Sunderland
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts about the squad? Are we good enough

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-23, 10:53 am

sunderpitt wrote:I reckon this is one of the weakest squads I have known on 50+ years

We usually have a good keeper.. Atm both of them are dodgy and their howlers have cost us points.. please let them get better.

CBs JoS is needed to marshall them and that says it all really. I am discounting Kone on the assumption his heart is not in it or he will be away 

Ovideo is a decent LB and Matthews is not awful as RB (not sure why Jones get picked other than he heads on the goal keepers clearances)

Midfield is a mixture of misfiring/intermittent experienced players and a few lively youngsters. Gibson was okay until injured Catts has generally been awful.. others are sicknotes

Will we drop? I guess a lot will depend on how bad others are around us.. we will not be great, a several game winning run is umlikely.. but hopefully we will scrap for points

We are Sunderland
In reality we are piss poor.
That said the young lads give me a bit of hope as they seem up for a battle.
Will Coleman keep them in when the walking wounded return?
He seems like a level headed, sensible bloke so I think he will.
Will we stay up? Who knows?
I think not.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-23, 11:07 am

Billy D wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:I reckon this is one of the weakest squads I have known on 50+ years

We are Sunderland
I think not.

Usually I would argue that our fate needs to be in our own hands, but frankly we require all the Bs, Barnsley, Bolton, Birmingham and Burton plus Hull to lose a lot of games and for us to win several.

Our next game IIRC is at Birmingham a proverbial 6 pointer
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-01-23, 11:08 am

Billy D wrote:

We are Sunderland
I think not.
Well I agree it’s the worst sunderland team I’ve ever seen.
There is not much fight there .
However the kids are giving it a go 
I think it depends on cookies addition in this transfer window 
We need strengthening in all areas but this will not happen 
Let’s hope he can get some bodies in to bolster our squad 
Get this season out the way and build fo the future 
I THINK WE WILL STAY UP 
Just
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  lesmac on 2018-01-23, 12:03 pm

On Saturday against Hull I felt, for the first time this season, that I was watching a side that was beginning to play together as a team. The youngsters were excellent and worked extremely hard. The old boys, Catamole and O'Shea did their job well while the youngsters did the leg work as well as the creative stuff. Coleman is getting rid of the rubbish in the squad as has figured out a team plan and has a bunch of players who can make it work. I think we will have a few anxious days along the way but we will stay up and hopefully have a new owner next season who will give Coleman the funds to start rebuilding the team and the club.
lesmac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://lesmcleanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-23, 12:11 pm

lesmac wrote:On Saturday against Hull I felt, for the first time this season, that I was watching a side that was beginning to play together as a team. The youngsters were excellent and worked extremely hard. The old boys, Catamole and O'Shea did their job well while the youngsters did the leg work as well as the creative stuff. Coleman is getting rid of the rubbish in the squad as has figured out a team plan and has a bunch of players who can make it work. I think we will have a few anxious days along the way but we will stay up and hopefully have a new owner next season who will give Coleman the funds to start rebuilding the team and the club.
TBF your opinion is tainted by actually watching the game on Saturday  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-01-24, 7:46 am

Whilst being a poor squad I don't think this is the worst I've seen as others are saying...it's  refreshing to see a manager come in and say "if you don't want to be here leave"  actually mean it and act upon it....Grabban has gone back to obscurity, Vaughan back to a lower league where he's proved he can score goals, Rodwell back to sitting on his arse and not gracing us with a token poor appearance here and there....others that don't want to be here will soon be gone....only problem I see for the future is that even though Coleman is building a decent team, no matter how good a job he does he will have to start again next season when all our loan players return to their clubs....if/when we stay up Short or hopefully the new owners will need to give him some cash to buy permanent players to compliment our emerging youngsters otherwise we will possibly find ourselves in the same predicament next season
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-24, 8:03 am

oldblackcat wrote:Whilst being a poor squad I don't think this is the worst I've seen as others are saying...it's  refreshing to see a manager come in and say "if you don't want to be here leave"  actually mean it and act upon it....Grabban has gone back to obscurity, Vaughan back to a lower league where he's proved he can score goals, Rodwell back to sitting on his arse and not gracing us with a token poor appearance here and there....others that don't want to be here will soon be gone....only problem I see for the future is that even though Coleman is building a decent team, no matter how good a job he does he will have to start again next season when all our loan players return to their clubs....if/when we stay up Short or hopefully the new owners will need to give him some cash to buy permanent players to compliment our emerging youngsters otherwise we will possibly find ourselves in the same predicament next season

Yes I agree   Colemn by not putting up with any crap from players who are being fannies as to whether they are giving 100% effort and commitment are dropped and that alone will increase moral. Provided those coming in have the quality.

I guess we could debate the poor team of the 80s and this one as to which one is worse. Probably with the money sloshing around in the Premier League the differene between the rich and poor is greater.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-24, 9:26 am

sunderpitt wrote:
oldblackcat wrote:Whilst being a poor squad I don't think this is the worst I've seen as others are saying...it's  refreshing to see a manager come in and say "if you don't want to be here leave"  actually mean it and act upon it....Grabban has gone back to obscurity, Vaughan back to a lower league where he's proved he can score goals, Rodwell back to sitting on his arse and not gracing us with a token poor appearance here and there....others that don't want to be here will soon be gone....only problem I see for the future is that even though Coleman is building a decent team, no matter how good a job he does he will have to start again next season when all our loan players return to their clubs....if/when we stay up Short or hopefully the new owners will need to give him some cash to buy permanent players to compliment our emerging youngsters otherwise we will possibly find ourselves in the same predicament next season

Yes I agree   Colemn by not putting up with any crap from players who are being fannies as to whether they are giving 100% effort and commitment are dropped and that alone will increase moral. Provided those coming in have the quality.

I guess we could debate the poor team of the 80s and this one as to which one is worse. Probably with the money sloshing around in the Premier League the differene between the rich and poor is greater.
I think we did indeed have a poor team but because of Coleman replacing poor attitude with good the team we saw on Saturday, yes I know just one game, was a decent team.

Next summer will be interesting after reading Baines comments about debt. Many seem to have missed it nut me reading is we are gambling on staying up and going through lots of pain this season, Cookie fully bought into plan. The austerity of this season is reducing the debt in a big way and Bain expects it to...

a) Is the club confident that this will be achieved by July 2019 and can you tell us how the club plan to achieve this? MB confirmed SAFC are committed to repaying or refinancing by July 2019. This secured debt is one of the outgoings that must be serviced, and the owner is committed to servicing that debt. b) Is the current lack of spending on player transfers related to this need? Not in itself but as one of a number of things that is resulting in an inability to invest as much into player recruitment as he would like. The owner is still “writing cheques” to cover deficits in running the club.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My reading of that is money will be available in the summer, not a lot but some and who knows we may even have new owners.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-24, 9:42 am

I suppose money is an even bigger influence and factor in how good your team is than it used to be. If you want to be a top team.

It also seems that we have bought too many poor players who want the money but could not care less for playing for the 'shirt'... hence bad attitudes and poor pergormances. Coleman is he'l bent on getting rid of them... or changing their attitudes?

Survival this season is going to be tricky and it is foolish of Short to service the debt but not provide a little seed mony for players. 

The Birmingham game is almost bigger than a 6 pointer..
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum