SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» League Table Week 21
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 22
Yesterday at 8:48 pm by canary-dave

» What about us? Come on son you will love Roker
Yesterday at 8:42 pm by gil t azell

» Results Week 21
Yesterday at 8:11 pm by gil t azell

» RIP Jimmy
Yesterday at 8:03 pm by canary-dave

» Sunderland v Hull City--Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 4:46 pm by cyprussyd

» A Good read IMO
Yesterday at 2:12 pm by cyprussyd

» Robin Ruiter
Yesterday at 1:07 pm by Hieronymus

» Will we stay up with no reinforcements?
Yesterday at 11:26 am by Billy D

» Thanks Syd, thanks Billy
Yesterday at 11:20 am by Billy D

Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

cyprussyd, Lever Malone, sunderpitt

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

FAO Sid MCFC ..... spot a City fan .

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FAO Sid MCFC ..... spot a City fan .

Post  cretanmakem on 2018-01-13, 6:45 am

Back at the end of the 1980's I was a senior manager in Manchester for ASDA in sunny Longsight before moving to Leeds and then restaurants and ending my lifes days here in Crete ( well hopefully a few more years ) . 
Every time you post takes me back to those days when I was a relatively new SAFC supporter ( by marriage ) and the lads there in that store . One lad in particular is always in my mind ,,,, City were nothing then , they had had their glory years before and seemed destined to going nowhere ( similar to our present situation ) . This lad ( haha reckon he was my age around the time late 20's ) was a true blue , didn't matter what the result , every Monday he was up for the banter , defending the impossible position with a team not overly good but loving them all the same . 
Look at you now City fans ,,,, I love to watch you on tv , your players are committed to the cause , your football is superb , you have had your lows but now you have your high again , long may it continue . 
I wonder if that lad is still about ? If he still goes to the games ? I would bet a penny to a pound he is still a loyal supporter and is still in the area , still going ON and ON and ON about City and slagging off Manure and their 'foreign' fans not true Mancs and still going on a Saturday to see HIS team .
Your average gate ???? pretty high without me going off and looking ,,, your task LOL go around and ask em all do they know a lad called JOHN FIELD , little bugger plagued my life , but because of him I have a soft spot for the Blue side of Manchester and 30 years on he is still in my head every time I see the true Manchester team on my tv .

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: FAO Sid MCFC ..... spot a City fan .

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-13, 8:14 am

City have had some great players remember Colin Bell (injury did for him iirc). Also Frannie Lee (along with Stan Bowles) who was good at scoring gpals snd hood at diving to win penalties way before everybody is now doing it

Dennis Tueart went to play there as well
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-01-13, 9:25 am

sunderpitt wrote:City have had some great players remember Colin Bell (injury did for him iirc). Also Frannie Lee (along with Stan Bowles) who was good at scoring gpals snd hood at diving to win penalties way before everybody is now doing it

Not to mention Denis Law! like

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-13, 9:40 am

canary-dave wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:City have had some great players remember Colin Bell (injury did for him iirc). Also Frannie Lee (along with Stan Bowles) who was good at scoring gpals snd hood at diving to win penalties way before everybody is now doing it

Well I always reckon him a Manure player. Although  (I do not have The flu just a heavy cold..i hope) my poor brain is a bit foggy..  did not Law score a backheel goal for City against Manure that relegated them
.. he promptly walked off the pitch and did not play again?
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-01-13, 10:22 am

sunderpitt wrote:
canary-dave wrote:

Well I always reckon him a Manure player. Although  (I do not have The flu just a heavy cold..i hope) my poor brain is a bit foggy..  did not Law score a backheel goal for City against Manure that relegated them

He played for City before and after Manure. I remember the back heel goal but didn't realise it was his final game.

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-13, 12:21 pm

cretanmakem wrote:Back at the end of the 1980's I was a senior manager in Manchester for ASDA in sunny Longsight before moving to Leeds and then restaurants and ending my lifes days here in Crete ( well hopefully a few more years ) . 
Every time you post takes me back to those days when I was a relatively new SAFC supporter ( by marriage ) and the lads there in that store . One lad in particular is always in my mind ,,,, City were nothing then , they had had their glory years before and seemed destined to going nowhere ( similar to our present situation ) . This lad ( haha reckon he was my age around the time late 20's ) was a true blue , didn't matter what the result , every Monday he was up for the banter , defending the impossible position with a team not overly good but loving them all the same . 
Look at you now City fans ,,,, I love to watch you on tv , your players are committed to the cause , your football is superb , you have had your lows but now you have your high again , long may it continue . 
I wonder if that lad is still about ? If he still goes to the games ? I would bet a penny to a pound he is still a loyal supporter and is still in the area , still going ON and ON and ON about City and slagging off Manure and their 'foreign' fans not true Mancs and still going on a Saturday to see HIS team .
Your average gate ???? pretty high without me going off and looking ,,, your task LOL go around and ask em all do they know a lad called JOHN FIELD , little bugger plagued my life , but because of him I have a soft spot for the Blue side of Manchester and 30 years on he is still in my head every time I see the true Manchester team on my tv .
Thank you very much for that post Cretan, I’ve just broke out in goosebumps  Razz   

Sunny Longsight!!!  Bloody hell you must be a brave man.  It’s an awful place now with fairly regular shootings and riddled with gangs.  In the 70s I used to drink in the Packhorse which was further up Stockport Rd just on the boarder with Levenshulme, it was as rough as hell but still decent if that makes sense.

I’ve never heard of ‘the little bugger’ John Field and don’t really have any contacts in that area anymore but I will happily try and find him on a City forum if you so wish.  Just let me know if you would like me to try and establish contact, it’s a long shot but you never know.  Many happy days in the sun.  like
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-13, 12:24 pm

Sunders. I assure you Frannie never ever dived.  Rolling Eyes
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-13, 12:50 pm

canary-dave wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:
canary-dave wrote:

He played for City before and after Manure. I remember the back heel goal but didn't realise it was his final game.
Dennis law did play for City and we sold him to one of the Milan teams, Inter I think.  On his return he had a few crap years playing for them lot and then resigned for City for his final playing year.  He still lives in the Manchester area and probably uniquely is a legend for both teams.

That ‘famous’ back heel was at Old Toilet in 1974.  I was there in the scoreboard end (where the goal was scored) and to put it mildly I had a smile on my face as indeed they were relegated.  Law did walk off and never kicked a competitive ball again, he wasn’t even subbed despite there being maybe 5 minutes to go but it was pretty irrelevant as there were two pitch invasions and tbh just chaos.  I’m pretty sure the full 90 weren’t played.  Marvellous day but marred somewhat by the absolute bloodbath after the game, thank god there were no fatalities but both sides had lots of walking wounded. Luckily the bad days are largely a thing of the past, I’m not sure I would still be going if it was like that every week.
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-01-13, 9:24 pm

It's surprising how intertwined the fortunes of the two clubs are. Colin Bell comes from Seaham Harbour, in addition to Tueart. City also took Dave Watson and Micky Horswill from the the '73 team and Tony Towers came our way and he played a big part in getting us out of DivII.

More importantly, thanks to City's impatient chairman Peter Wears we got Peter Reid when he was sacked by City for an indifferent start to a season.  Had that not happened how drab would our Premier tenancy have been?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-15, 3:08 pm

Nostalgic wrote:It's surprising how intertwined the fortunes of the two clubs are. Colin Bell comes from Seaham Harbour, in addition to Tueart. City also took Dave Watson and Micky Horswill from the the '73 team and Tony Towers came our way and he played a big part in getting us out of DivII.

More importantly, thanks to City's impatient chairman Peter Wears we got Peter Reid when he was sacked by City for an indifferent start to a season.  Had that not happened how drab would our Premier tenancy have been?
I think you might mean Peter Swales. Most city fans think Swales was the worst single thing to ever happen to the club.  We were doing pretty well in the late 60s early 70s but then Swales appeared and just leached off the club for 20 years.

I hope that’s not another connection ie Swales / Short.
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on 2018-01-15, 3:27 pm

Nostalgic wrote:It's surprising how intertwined the fortunes of the two clubs are. Colin Bell comes from Seaham Harbour, in addition to Tueart. City also took Dave Watson and Micky Horswill from the the '73 team and Tony Towers came our way and he played a big part in getting us out of DivII.

Colin Bell was born in Hesleden,County Durham.
My dad played football with him at school
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cretanmakem on 2018-01-15, 3:32 pm

Okay Sid game on , lets see if wee john is still about , mind you he won't remember me but he is in my heeeed every time you buggers are on tv ( which is quite a frequent time ) .

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-15, 3:34 pm

cretanmakem wrote:Okay Sid game on , lets see if wee john is still about , mind you he won't remember me but he is in my heeeed every time you buggers are on tv ( which is quite a frequent time ) .
Ok mate, I’ll give it a go.
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2018-01-15, 5:16 pm

Colin Bell was born in Heselden just up from blackhall
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-01-15, 5:57 pm

OK, I stand corrected twice about Bell, but newspapers at the time had him from from Seaham.  My point at the time was that he was another native that we missed.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2018-01-15, 10:20 pm

Nostalgic wrote:OK, I stand corrected twice about Bell, but newspapers at the time had him from from Seaham.  My point at the time was that he was another native that we missed.
nee bother
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-15, 10:58 pm

The Yakker wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:OK, I stand corrected twice about Bell, but newspapers at the time had him from from Seaham.  My point at the time was that he was another native that we missed.
nee bother

Nobodies heard of Heselden a few may have heard of Seaham  (Byron and all that). So often somebody is said to be from the nearest know place. 

Captain Cook thought to be from ? But actually from !
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-01-16, 12:29 am

sunderpitt wrote:
The Yakker wrote:
nee bother

Nobodies heard of Heselden a few may have heard of Seaham  (Byron and all that). So often somebody is said to be from the nearest know place. 

During some family research I found relatives born in Staithes and lived there during Cook's apprenticeship time.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-01-16, 12:35 am

Sid MCFC wrote:

I think you might mean Peter Swales. Most city fans think Swales was the worst single thing to ever happen to the club.  We were doing pretty well in the late 60s early 70s but then Swales appeared and just leached off the club for 20 years.

I think one of the biggest mistakes in football was City getting rid if Joe Mercer who was the architect of City's rise at that time. Malcolm Allison did a good job of wrecking those achievements.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-16, 5:01 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:

I think one of the biggest mistakes in football was City getting rid if Joe Mercer who was the architect of City's rise at that time. Malcolm Allison did a good job of wrecking those achievements.
Very true but if my foggy memory serves me right Joe Mercer’s health was starting to deteriorate a little. I can’t remember his cause of death a good few years later but I’ve got it in my head it was age related as in dementia or something similar.

Those were the days when a manager and a coach meant something completely different.  The Mercer\Allison partnership was brilliant as their individual roles were defined, when Allison came back a few years later as Manager it was a disaster.  I personally felt Allison just couldn’t step up.

A few years ago I had to put my long gone Dad in an old folks home for a weeks respite stay,  To my surprise Allison was a long stay resident there and had completely lost it mentally wise, I had a few chats with him and it was pretty clear his finances were in a sorry state.  I’m happy to report though he was still smoking a massive cigar,  his language was a bit choice though Wink

I know older fans still revere Joe as you do with Bob.  Both legends.
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-01-16, 7:23 pm

Thanks for that Sid, although I was young at the time I loved Mercer's approach to football. If you haven't already, have a look at him on Wiki and read the Guardian article on his temporary management of England in the '70s.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-19, 3:48 pm

cretanmakem wrote:Okay Sid game on , lets see if wee john is still about , mind you he won't remember me but he is in my heeeed every time you buggers are on tv ( which is quite a frequent time ) .
Sorry Cretan, no luck as yet.  I started a thread on City’s biggest forum and had no response.  It’s gone off the front page now so will bump it in a few days.
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2018-01-19, 3:51 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Thanks for that Sid, although I was young at the time I loved Mercer's approach to football. If you haven't already, have a look at him on Wiki and read the Guardian article on his temporary management of England in the '70s.
Thanks for the info Nostalgic.  If I can keep out of the pub anytime I’ll look it up.  Wink
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2018-01-19, 11:39 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
The Yakker wrote:
nee bother

Google maps
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum