SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» League Table Week 21
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 22
Yesterday at 8:48 pm by canary-dave

» What about us? Come on son you will love Roker
Yesterday at 8:42 pm by gil t azell

» Results Week 21
Yesterday at 8:11 pm by gil t azell

» RIP Jimmy
Yesterday at 8:03 pm by canary-dave

» Sunderland v Hull City--Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 4:46 pm by cyprussyd

» A Good read IMO
Yesterday at 2:12 pm by cyprussyd

» Robin Ruiter
Yesterday at 1:07 pm by Hieronymus

» Will we stay up with no reinforcements?
Yesterday at 11:26 am by Billy D

» Thanks Syd, thanks Billy
Yesterday at 11:20 am by Billy D

Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 1 Bot

Nostalgic

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Apathy towards football.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Apathy towards football.

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-08, 9:42 am

Anyone else feel it?
Not just towards our club but football in general?
I just don't give a f*ck anymore.
I hate the way teams are seeded in cup draws to stop the big boys meeting each other half way.
FIFA, still as corrupt as f*ck even though Sepp Twatter has gone.
I'd rather watch none league or Sunday pub football these days.
FA do my tits in as well. Jobs for the old boys with the right school tie.
Arseholes, always have been, always will be.
That's why England are shit.
I could go on & on about my gripes with the sport but you'll get the gist.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Apathy towards football.

Post  Hieronymus on 2018-01-08, 10:43 am

I feel the same Billy, have hardly watched any football last few weeks despite it being wall to wall. Haven't watched MOTD or our Champonship roundup either although did catch the second half of the Forest vs Arsenal match yesterday and that was okay. But I was still not really 'watching', with the kids around and so many other draws on my time.

It all just seems so unimportant and as you say so corrupt. £140m for Coutinho? It's obscene Crying or Very sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-08, 11:04 am

Hieronymus wrote:I feel the same Billy, have hardly watched any football last few weeks despite it being wall to wall. Haven't watched MOTD or our Champonship roundup either although did catch the second half of the Forest vs Arsenal match yesterday and that was okay. But I was still not really 'watching', with the kids around and so many other draws on my time.

It all just seems so unimportant and as you say so corrupt. £140m for Coutinho? It's obscene Crying or Very sad
Indeed.
A wild horse couldn't drag me to the SOL.
If there's football on I'll put the radio on but that's about it.
I listened to our match v Barnsley & then watched the highlights later on.
The lad that got the winner scored with a header & his feet never left the pitch.
Didn't need to jump cos he's 6'4".
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2018-01-08, 11:04 am

Yes me too, my interest in football has died the death.
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2018-01-08, 11:11 am

No... It's part of my DNA..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-08, 12:15 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:No... It's part of my DNA..

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-01-08, 12:44 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
MrRAWhite wrote:No... It's part of my DNA..

like like

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2018-01-08, 1:31 pm

Billy D wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:I feel the same Billy, have hardly watched any football last few weeks despite it being wall to wall. Haven't watched MOTD or our Champonship roundup either although did catch the second half of the Forest vs Arsenal match yesterday and that was okay. But I was still not really 'watching', with the kids around and so many other draws on my time.

Indeed.
A wild horse couldn't drag me to the SOL.
If there's football on I'll put the radio on but that's about it.
I listened to our match v Barnsley & then watched the highlights later on.
The lad that got the winner scored with a header & his feet never left the pitch.
Didn't need to jump cos he's 6'4".
Yeh mate the ball bounced up to him 
Then he stooped to head it no challenge 
No one anywhere near him
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-08, 2:39 pm

I have to admit to becoming for the first in over 50 years apathetic towards Sunderland and visits to the Sol are depressing atm.

But football generally no, quite enjoyed the Arsenal v Chelsea game last week and thought it fun that Forest beat Arsenal.

I watch the rugby, the ashes is dire.

Last edited by sunderpitt on 2018-01-08, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-01-08, 2:52 pm

sunderpitt wrote:I have to admit to becoming for the first in over 50 years apathetic towards Sunderland and visits to the Sol ate depressing atm.

But football generally no, quite enjoyed the Arsenal v Chelsea game last week and thought it fun that an First beat Arsenal.

I watch the rugby, the ashes is dire.

I thought we did well at the cricket, we came second, that's pretty good  Laughing

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-08, 5:03 pm

Well one thing has cheered me up.
Waldorf & Statler are still alive & kicking.  Very Happy
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2018-01-08, 6:08 pm

In one way or another I have always loved or been connected to football. I must admit I have been slowly fallen out of love with it as the full impact of TV and the web have unfolded along with the imbalance that it, and money, have impacted it.  A case in point is the loan system whereby elite clubs prevent their more promising, but not quite good enough, players from permanently moving on as youngsters to the likes of us or lower divisions only to emerge as quality players.  Talk about having your cake and eating it.

Secondly is player power through performance for club, Costa at Chelsea wanting to go home, the Arsenal two looking to go to ManC and elsewhere, within the last year of their huge contracts impacting on position of the club, supporters and manager.

Finally the owner system that has created a selfish system just as bad as the players where they have to please sponsors, justify spending their zillions etc.  Back in the day club chairmen were locals with the good of the team, club and supporters in mind and they were supporters themselves with the good of football in mind by ensuring wages were controlled and not many players were paid higher than others.

The heart of the game as many of us knew it has gone to be replaced by the wallet.

Having said all that, I will be watching the cup-tie soon from this part of the world, so what does that say about me?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-10, 12:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-10, 7:52 am

cyprussyd wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Means what?
Absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-10, 8:03 am

The so what is a simple so what that shows that despite the apaphy with football and the general demise of our team we still pull in top crowds.

The so what and I would suggest relevance to the OP is that football and following a team is a far more complex state of mind than many think. I can and will give a complete answer to the OP and say at the outset that I agree with most comments, just cant be bothered right now.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-10, 8:19 am

cyprussyd wrote:The so what is a simple so what that shows that despite the apaphy with football and the general demise of our team we still pull in top crowds.

The so what and I would suggest relevance to the OP is that football and following a team is a far more complex state of mind than many think. I can and will give a complete answer to the OP and say at the outset that I agree with most comments, just cant be bothered right now.
Aye ok, nee bother.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-10, 8:35 am

cyprussyd wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Interesting... I wonder if it her clubs have their attendance boosted by season ticket holders not turning up?

Notwithstanding that the fees paid by Sky BT etc would also indicate that football is very popular  (armchair viewing) otherwise they would not pay the exorbitant cost

Last edited by sunderpitt on 2018-01-10, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-10, 2:04 pm

I find this a difficult topic but so far apathy has not set in but I find it hard to say why.

I agree that the money now being paid is obscene particularly when you look at the amount of need in the world but I wonder just how obscene it would be if Sunderland were buying 100 mil players?
Add to that how I still love to watch the Cities of this world play but in short, the money is now a million miles from Sunderland so it does not affect me.

Now how about the shambles that is Sunderland, I'm surprised any of us have hair or fingernails left.
Short has been a disaster although I'm not sure if he is a bad man or simple a rich man who has had is fingers burnt once to often. In truth, does it matter, he will go when he goes and not before.

Bain I have no gripe with, he has been handed an impossible job and is doing is best IMO.

So why do I still go to games, not for pleasure I assure you.

I arrive at the ground at 1.10 and the gates dont open until 1.30 so 20 minutes sitting on a low barrier and prayers it won't rain.
In at 1.30 and no option but taking my seat, I cant stand around so 1.5 hours sitting doing nothing.
At 3 the game starts and usually I get 20 minutes of entertainment before we concede and its then sit and shake my head.

So why do I do it, one answer, Chris Coleman.

I like everything about our manager, I know he is not universally liked but he is liked by me.

He seems to be trying hard to do what we have been calling for, a rebuild in personal and attitude and he is doing it with both hands tied behind his back.

I want to help and the only way I know how is to turn up and say you are not alone Cookie, I appreciate you and will suffer with you.

Nieve, silly, foolish, daft, use whatever words fit but it's just something I want to do for him and my club.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-10, 2:18 pm

The reason why Bane is part of the problem not part of the solution is simple.. he is Shorts creature... it is blindingly obvious that we need some quality players.. Bane has to argue with Short for funds something he is very wary of doing as he wants his salary and does not give a stuff about Sunderland

His legacy at Rangers is that they at me about to go into administration again

Last edited by sunderpitt on 2018-01-10, 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-10, 2:26 pm

sunderpitt wrote:The reason why Bane is part of the problem not part of the solution is simple.. he is Shorts creature... it is blindingly obvious that we need some quality players.. Bane has to argue with Short for funds something he is very wary of doing as he wants his salary and does not give a stuff about Sunderland
Simple question Sunders, "How do you know"? Bain is Shorts creature is a very strange comment IMO and I'm not sure what it means.

If it means that Short is his boss well yes, that's how it works and I wonder how many of us would take the boss on full blast and risk our job and families future. I can hold my hands up and say I have done and paid a very heavy price and when the going got tough I looked at all of my supports and guess what, they weren't there.

You say he should be arguing for investment, how do you know he is not doing just that.

So no I dont buy it, speculation and putting two and two together and getting the answer 5 wont do it for me.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-10, 2:28 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:The reason why Bane is part of the problem not part of the solution is simple.. he is Shorts creature... it is blindingly obvious that we need some quality players.. Bane has to argue with Short for funds something he is very wary of doing as he wants his salary and does not give a stuff about Sunderland
Simple question Sunders, "How do you know"? Bain is Shorts creature is a very strange comment IMO and I'm not sure what it means.

If it means that Short is his boss well yes, that's how it works and I wonder how many of us would take the boss on full blast and risk our job and families future. I can hold my hands up and say I have done and paid a very heavy price and when the going got tough I looked at all of my supports and guess what, they weren't there.

You say he should be arguing for investment, how do you know he is not doing just that.

So no I dont buy it, speculation and putting two and two together and getting the answer 5 wont do it for me.

As Brian Clough once said... if somebody disagrees with me, we sit down and discuss the matter.. . Then agree that I am right

The relation between Mr Burns and Smithers (Simpsoms) is similar to Short and Bane  (although I do mot know if Bane is gay)
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2018-01-10, 2:36 pm

I have to say I am firmly with Syd on this, my love is for my team, not the players or the manager or the owner but for the team itself. 

If we are going through a bad patch then I won't be happy but I will stick with them and do all I can to improve their fortune. I will not abandon them, I will not stay away, I am not a fairweather fan who I regard as nothing more than a plastic glory hunter. 

Rant over.

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-10, 2:37 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

As Brian Clough once said... if somebody disagrees with me, we sit down and discuss the matter.. . Then agree that I am right

The relation between Mr Burns and Smithers (Simpsoms) is similar to Short and Bane  (although I do mot know if Bane is gay)
A strange way of discussing, a little like I dont have the answers to the question so will just talk gibberish.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2018-01-10, 2:40 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

A strange way of discussing, a little like I dont have the answers to the question so will just talk gibberish.

Dear Syd you must be ill.. cannot handle banter or losing  an argument 

Burns/Smithers is perfect for Short/Bane.. but then it is not Corrie
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-10, 2:50 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

Dear Syd you must be ill.. cannot handle banter or losing  an argument 

Burns/Smithers is perfect for Short/Bane.. but then it is not Corrie
I cant see how I am losing any argument, you posted, I asked questions and got a reply I dont understand. I have no idea who Burns and Smithers are.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: