SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» UFOs/Aliens
Today at 1:56 am by niceonemarra

» That McNair goal
Yesterday at 7:34 pm by oldblackcat

» Predictions Week ..
Yesterday at 7:31 pm by oldblackcat

» Sunderland v Burton
Yesterday at 2:56 pm by cyprussyd

» Meeting between SAFC and Supporter Groups Collective Thursday 12th April 2018, Stadium of Light
Yesterday at 12:55 am by cyprussyd

» Sunderland ticket policy shift to keep out Newcastle United fans
2018-04-19, 11:47 pm by MrRAWhite

» Safe standing
2018-04-19, 11:25 pm by Hieronymus

» No news is good news!
2018-04-19, 2:20 pm by canary-dave

» Alonso named PFA left back of the year
2018-04-19, 1:04 pm by cyprussyd

» To V or not to V.
2018-04-19, 12:54 pm by Hieronymus

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Cookie and the young guns!

Go down

Cookie and the young guns!

Post  Mackemneil on 2018-01-07, 10:12 am

It is clear that Cookie has now had time to assess his squad and review the way previous managers have tried to address the 'safc disease' that has lead to our current predicament. Poyet and others identified a real problem and a core of players that were in effect holding back the club. Investment in has-beens on inflated wages have burdened the club with ridiculous levels of debt and each manager added to the problem through poor transfer policies.

Cookie and Bain have a clear financial framework to work withinand thereby curtailing panic investment in more players like Rodders, Fletcher etc.

I believe that Cookie will get rid of the dross and particularly those lacking the desire and passion that our supporters have and is needed to get out of this mess. His approach is not without risk and on another post Sunders reminded us of Alan Hansen's quote of 'you can't win owt with kids'. We desperately need to have a solid spine of experience surrounded by the enthusiasm of kids with quality and potential to grow, either on loan or coming through our own ranks.

A new keeper is essential, only Ruiter comes anywhere near approaching the standard of keeper on which many of our moderately successful teams have been based. In a three man defence O'Shea still has much to offer and to have the pace of Browning and Clarke-Salter around him looks good. Cookie will be looking for a holding midfielder with experience, having lost the improving Gibson and the poor performances of alternatives like Catts. If the rumours are true, the introduction of Ampadu from Chelsea, an impressive performance from Ethan Robson and the promising Embleton are just examples of the youth policy I believe he will adopt. Honeyman, Gooch et al have been put under considerable pressure of late and perhaps our expectations of them have been unrealistic. Add to the above the likes of Maja, Asoro, Watmore (next season) and Woodburn alongside a Chris Smith or Cameron Jerome may just work.

There are a lot of players to get rid of, Rodders, Kone, Ndong (sadly), Galloway, Vaughan, Macmanaman, McGeady (too inconsistent) et al.

A risky business but we must back him for taking an alternative route to that taken by more recent managers (excluding Sam).
avatar
Mackemneil
MODERATOR
MODERATOR

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2012-08-10
Age : 63
Location : Holme on Spalding Moor, York

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-07, 10:36 am

Mackemneil wrote:It is clear that Cookie has now had time to assess his squad and review the way previous managers have tried to address the 'safc disease' that has lead to our current predicament. Poyet and others identified a real problem and a core of players that were in effect holding back the club. Investment in has-beens on inflated wages have burdened the club with ridiculous levels of debt and each manager added to the problem through poor transfer policies.

Cookie and Bain have a clear financial framework to work withinand thereby curtailing panic investment in more players like Rodders, Fletcher etc.

I believe that Cookie will get rid of the dross and particularly those lacking the desire and passion that our supporters have and is needed to get out of this mess. His approach is not without risk and on another post Sunders reminded us of Alan Hansen's quote of 'you can't win owt with kids'. We desperately need to have a solid spine of experience surrounded by the enthusiasm of kids with quality and potential to grow, either on loan or coming through our own ranks.

A new keeper is essential, only Ruiter comes anywhere near approaching the standard of keeper on which many of our moderately successful teams have been based. In a three man defence O'Shea still has much to offer and to have the pace of Browning and Clarke-Salter around him looks good. Cookie will be looking for a holding midfielder with experience, having lost the improving Gibson and the poor performances of alternatives like Catts. If the rumours are true, the introduction of Ampadu from Chelsea, an impressive performance from Ethan Robson and the promising Embleton are just examples of the youth policy I believe he will adopt. Honeyman, Gooch et al have been put under considerable pressure of late and perhaps our expectations of them have been unrealistic. Add to the above the likes of Maja, Asoro, Watmore (next season) and Woodburn alongside a Chris Smith or Cameron Jerome may just work.

There are a lot of players to get rid of, Rodders, Kone, Ndong (sadly), Galloway, Vaughan, Macmanaman, McGeady (too inconsistent) et al.

A risky business but we must back him for taking an alternative route to that taken by more recent managers (excluding Sam).
APPL APPL
Very good and I particularly like the Bain inclusion, I have no idea why he gets so much stick.

We have a tough road ahead but IMO It's  the right road and needs supporting.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 44710
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-07, 10:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 44710
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  oldblackcat on 2018-01-07, 11:23 am

I saw an earlier interview with Coleman and he stated that we would be looking to bring in  players on loan not just to bulk up the squad but add quality.He admitted that even selling players wouldn't give him a wad of cash to spend and that young hungry players are what he's looking to bring in
On another post people are questioning why bring in other club's young player's why not use our own?Well we have some good youngsters who are getting the chance but that dosen't mean we can't borrow youngsters from other clubs who have already had experience playing whereas ours haven't.
One thing I do believe is if/when we survive this season the experience our youngsters are getting will benefit us next season!
avatar
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Posts : 2246
Join date : 2012-08-20
Age : 57
Location : washington

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  TNT on 2018-01-07, 11:38 am

That’s peoples points about playing our own young players OBC, we play ours and they are still ours next season with all that experience. Using other teams young players means they get all that experience and return to their parent club then we have to start all over again. Loaning too many players has been our downfall, it probably seemed a good idea at the time or should that be the cheap option at the time? but, without the option to buy there is no point.

________________________________________________________
"If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or shagging Miss World , it would be a hard choice.
Thankfully I've done both"
George Best

TNT
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 3109
Join date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-07, 11:39 am

oldblackcat wrote:I saw an earlier interview with Coleman and he stated that we would be looking to bring in  players on loan not just to bulk up the squad but add quality.He admitted that even selling players wouldn't give him a wad of cash to spend and that young hungry players are what he's looking to bring in
On another post people are questioning why bring in other club's young player's why not use our own?Well we have some good youngsters who are getting the chance but that dosen't mean we can't borrow youngsters from other clubs who have already had experience playing whereas ours haven't.
One thing I do believe is if/when we survive this season the experience our youngsters are getting will benefit us next season!
Yes we are in the mire but the long overdue rebuild is under way.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 44710
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-07, 11:40 am

What talc says up here. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
avatar
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 3677
Join date : 2013-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  Billy D on 2018-01-07, 11:42 am

cyprussyd wrote:
oldblackcat wrote:I saw an earlier interview with Coleman and he stated that we would be looking to bring in  players on loan not just to bulk up the squad but add quality.He admitted that even selling players wouldn't give him a wad of cash to spend and that young hungry players are what he's looking to bring in
On another post people are questioning why bring in other club's young player's why not use our own?Well we have some good youngsters who are getting the chance but that dosen't mean we can't borrow youngsters from other clubs who have already had experience playing whereas ours haven't.
One thing I do believe is if/when we survive this season the experience our youngsters are getting will benefit us next season!
Yes we are in the mire but the long overdue rebuild is under way.
Really? Where?
avatar
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 3677
Join date : 2013-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  cyprussyd on 2018-01-07, 11:43 am

talcnturnip wrote:That’s peoples points about playing our own young players OBC, we play ours and they are still ours next season with all that experience. Using other teams young players means they get all that experience and return to their parent club then we have to start all over again. Loaning too many players has been our downfall, it probably seemed a good idea at the time or should that be the cheap option at the time? but, without the option to buy there is no point.
The point is very simple, indeed two points.


  1. We are bringing in young players yes but better than what we have
  2. Its all about this season, if they help keep us up and improve our own players then job done.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 44710
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookie and the young guns!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum