SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland Til I Die
Today at 7:42 pm by sunderpitt

» Happy Christmas
Today at 7:41 pm by Kipper

» Sunderland v Bristol Rovers
Today at 7:37 pm by Kipper

» Predictions Week 18
Today at 2:56 pm by oldblackcat

» Weekend Weather.
Today at 10:00 am by cyprussyd

» From the Don
Today at 8:58 am by sunderpitt

» Need Help in Identifying Some Sunderland AFC Autograph's on a shirt
Yesterday at 2:40 pm by Hieronymus

» Sartori
Yesterday at 12:08 pm by sunderpitt

» The bad old days
2018-12-13, 10:16 pm by cyprussyd

» The South Stand
2018-12-13, 8:57 pm by gil t azell

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

Backing the manager

Go down

Backing the manager

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-12, 1:00 am

Backing the manager is something we all would like to do but being a Sunderland fan with our history with managers means it's easier said than done.

But Saturday showed us all that backing this manager may well be the chance we have all been looking for to finally get the brighter future we crave.

We like a good scapegoat here at Sunderland and we dont usually have to look far to find one with the performances of Mr D Gibson putting him up there with Kone and Rodwell but on Saturday he managed to change that. Now keeping it going is a new challenge but at least he justified the managers faith on Saturday.

It's very doubtful he would have started if we had had a fit NDong and McNair available but start he did, how often do we find a savour through luck, or in this case a teammates bad luck.

If Gibson can maintain his new found form it could signal the departure of NDong, one of our few saleable assets who could release funds for reinforcements because reinforcements are badly needed.

Cookie is quietly and quickly changing the Sunderland mentality and it looks like he learnt from the Reading performance, two home games on the trot could really turn our season.

I wont be alone sitting with everything I can crossed well and truly crossed on Saturday, can anyone remember how it feels to win at home?

Three points gained at full time will see a release of emotions from us all that have been bottled up for over a year, let's not go down the we lose route, keeping the faith is a little easier right now but still takes some effort.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Backing the manager

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-12-12, 10:00 am

I agree Coleman is starting to get the best out of the players, and yes maybe partly forced by injuries and suspensions. But maybe the difference on Saturday was also partly because being away from home and the underdogs allowed GIbson and all the players to play with less pressure than when at the SOL?

It does not matter what the players are paid, they are human beings and nervousness makes everyone make mistakes. Could you do your job if 30,000 people were screaming how rubbish you are? Yes, everyone has the right to free speech, and I appreciate that people pay hard earned money to go and be entertained, but that does not give anyone the right to be abusive.

Anyway we all know it works the other way, no one plays better for being abused! And, as I know from personal experience, having people sitting around you jumping up and down screaming and effing and blinding (and worse) when you are just trying to watch and enjoy the match, makes the day out a miserable experience for everyone.

I am not starting up the argument about going or not going again, but I have always felt that if you DO go to the SOL and don't support the lads wholeheartedly then you may as well stay away. That means don't boo mistakes even if repeated, don't shout abuse at the latest scapegoat, don't scream at the players if the opposition score and don't leave 15 minutes early.

Instead be positive; applaud the good things, yell 'well done' at a great shot or run with the ball, or a strong tackle, a great cross or a save, whatever. Shout and clap 'come on lads' when their energy is flagging, especially for the young players. Concentrate on boosting confidence not destroying it and yes, with luck and a fair wind, we will win and get three precious points on our journey to safety.
KTF lads and lasses love sunderland
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-12, 10:39 am

Not sure what brought that on H because it was nothing to do with going or staying away more about us all trying to trust Cookie and his judgement.

Home games are certainly like a powder keg ready to explode but against Reading I noticed one small but at the same time very big difference. At one point booing started but this time the South stand in particular counted it with cheers and we are Sunderland chants. Maybe the majority know how tense it is and how hard it is and I took the chants as their way of saying back of to the boo boys.

I'm sure three points on Saturday will see more at the Birmingham game and three points against Birmingham, well who knows.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-12-12, 10:48 am

It would have been very hard to cheer the team in the 2nd half of the last home game, although when Asoro came on and looked lively there was some noise.

I would say without exception in the first half the fans were backing the lads, despite Catts and Gibson both having mares.

Personally i have never booed (moaned a lot to my neighbour mind), but I understand the folk that do... at times it looks as if the players want to anywhere but playing football in front of a crowd, 99% of the crowd which will be lucky to get paid in a year what they get paid in a week. When you see lack of effort, inability to pass ball 5 yards etc etc

We have had some good managers and some bad ones... Coleman is shaping up to be good one... a win (please) on saturday will help. He has my backing and needs some from Short too, in a months time.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT on 2017-12-12, 11:17 am

How much of this improvement is Coleman and how much is new manager bounce?
Wouldn’t say Gibson had a good game maybe compared with his efforts previously it did look good. We defended for 90 % of the game against Wolves which was the game plan and I’m fine with that at this stage of our frankly terrible season so far. This meant Gibson had very little to do except defend, no telling passes no running about so basically his game, that will not be the case in the next game where a win is all that will do.

TNT
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-12-12, 5:34 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Not sure what brought that on H because it was nothing to do with going or staying away more about us all trying to trust Cookie and his judgement.

Home games are certainly like a powder keg ready to explode but against Reading I noticed one small but at the same time very big difference. At one point booing started but this time the South stand in particular counted it with cheers and we are Sunderland chants. Maybe the majority know how tense it is and how hard it is and I took the chants as their way of saying back of to the boo boys.

I'm sure three points on Saturday will see more at the Birmingham game and three points against Birmingham, well who knows.
Was just my mind wandering Syd, agreeing with you that Coleman has made a big difference, but also the fact our best performances have been away from home made me think of our discussions on the atmosphere at the SOL and I put two and two together. Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-12-12, 6:46 pm

The fans have little choice in the matter and getting it right is the biggest single factor all round.  Their past records are always there to be analysed and in some cases it is difficult to understand why some keep getting re-appointed.  The successful ones are hard to come by unless the board/owners have deep pockets, but even finishing second now brings enough huge rewards to keep people in a jpb through finance rather than ability.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum