SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
NEXT GAME
FcTables.com
LAST GAME
FcTables.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland Til I Die
Today at 7:42 pm by sunderpitt

» Happy Christmas
Today at 7:41 pm by Kipper

» Sunderland v Bristol Rovers
Today at 7:37 pm by Kipper

» Predictions Week 18
Today at 2:56 pm by oldblackcat

» Weekend Weather.
Today at 10:00 am by cyprussyd

» From the Don
Today at 8:58 am by sunderpitt

» Need Help in Identifying Some Sunderland AFC Autograph's on a shirt
Yesterday at 2:40 pm by Hieronymus

» Sartori
Yesterday at 12:08 pm by sunderpitt

» The bad old days
2018-12-13, 10:16 pm by cyprussyd

» The South Stand
2018-12-13, 8:57 pm by gil t azell

Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

old heads could roll

Go down

old heads could roll

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-04, 2:56 pm

Chris Coleman says something has to change, and hints Sunderland's old heads could roll

After seeing the Black Cats extend their winless run at the Stadium of Light to 350 days, Chris Coleman is considering 'resting' his old stagers

By
Stuart Rayner

• 22:30, 3 DEC 2017

Chis Coleman has admitted “something needs to change” for Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, and it could be some of his more experienced players losing their places.
The Black Cats’ next match is at Championship front-runners Wolverhampton Wanderers, followed by home games against Fulham and Birmingham City.
Coleman took charge of his first Sunderland home match on Saturday as they failed to win at the Stadium of Light for a 21st consecutive game.
“I need to change something,” acknowledged the Welshman after the 3-1 defeat to Reading. “We need to be brave. Is that me being brave and changing a lot of it round? Maybe it is. I am not afraid to do that if I think we have to, but something needs to change, that’s clear.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sunderland manager Chris Coleman (Image: Get Reading)
Sunderland’s more experienced players let them down against Reading. Callum McManaman’s sending off for deliberately putting the ball into the net with his hand while on a yellow card left them to play the whole second half with ten men.
Aiden McGeady lost possession in the build-up to two Reading goals, and the first of Modou Barrow’s two went through Robbin Ruiter at the near post. Darron Gibson made little impact standing in for Paddy McNair, who injured his groin in the warm-up, and Lee Cattermole was jeered off when substituted. Teenager Joel Asoro won the penalty Lewis Grabban converted, George Honeyman was the Black Cats’ best second-half outlet and like Asoro, Lynden Gooch injected energy from the bench.
“Maybe I might give one or two (of the experienced players) a rest from it all, the pressure situation they find themselves in,” Coleman reflected. “I thought the kids did quite well, there’s less pressure on them because less is expected of them. They definitely gave us a little bit of energy and played with less fear.

“I don’t think we were positive enough and that was probably down to lacking a bit of belief. (There was) less belief than I saw last week, but that was away from home.

“I can see what they are going through when they are here because of the pressure of not winning here for so long. I can understand how they feel but it doesn’t matter. Whatever has happened before, even if you have won ten on the bounce, the next game is all that matters. The good thing about this league is they do come thick and fast.

“Is it, ‘Oh my God, we are playing at home again’? I don’t look at it like that. I look at it as another opportunity to turn it around and that’s how I’ve got to try and get everyone else to look at it.”
On Asoro, who he has used from the bench in all three of his games to date, Coleman said: “He plays without fear. Sometimes it’s more difficult for the older ones who are experienced and are expected to take the responsibility.”
Sunderland fans lost patience in the second half, many leaving after the second or third goals, scored three minutes apart.

“I understood it, totally,” said Coleman. “You’ve got to feel sorry for the fans as well. Even if they boo for 90 minutes, they’re still here.

“We’ve got to try and look after them, and it’s only us who can change the mood. Up until the sending off it was okay but we’ve got to do better when it goes against us. You can’t be so downhearted and downbeat that you lose the grip of a game.
“This place could be such a powerful place for us, but we’ve got to get them with us. We’ve got to make sure that when they show up next time at home, we send them home with a smile on their face.”

McManaman will be suspended at Molineux, although striker James Vaughan returns from his one-game ban.

Bryan Oviedo, Sunderland’s best player until his injury around the hour mark, provided a positive bulletin on Twitter, declaring it to be only a minor hamstring strain which should not stop him facing Wolves.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: old heads could roll

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-12-04, 3:15 pm

When I looked at the Echo's player ratings for Saturday, by and large I agreed with them, Catts and Gibson were hopeless, (3s iirc). The keeper may have got a 5, but I reckon Vito would have better for at least a couple of their goals. Yes Ovideo was good and McGredy did a couple of runs but tired too easily and gave the ball away too often. Mind the passing by and large was abysmal

Honeyman was about okay and Grabban does not like to head the ball.

So for midfield and forwards give youth a chance, Gooch Asoro etc. Wolves are high flying so we do not have a lot to lose.

I also have read that Embleton(?) another youngster is an okay CB... might as well give him a go as well
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-12-04, 3:34 pm

Been mentioned on more than one occasion on this forum: "put the kids in", "get rid of the old underperforming dross". This won't get any complaints from me. Coleman's dipped his toe in with Asoro and Honeyman. Now time to take the plunge. Let it be the dawn of a new era!
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-12-04, 3:40 pm

Sounds to me that you have a manager who is going places, I really like the sound of him on like

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-04, 4:08 pm

canary-dave wrote:Sounds to me that you have a manager who is going places, I really like the sound of him on like
So do I Daventry and yes talk is cheap but I can see him acting. People complained about him starting Catts and Gibson but maybe he saw two experienced players and needed to see what we have seen.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-12-04, 11:35 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
canary-dave wrote:Sounds to me that you have a manager who is going places, I really like the sound of him on like
So do I Daventry and yes talk is cheap but I can see him acting. People complained about him starting Catts and Gibson but maybe he saw two experienced players and needed to see what we have seen.
thumb

Well said gentlemen

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-06, 8:32 am

Chris Coleman is not afraid to make big selection calls and says the focus has to be on the players fitting into his game-plan. 
The 47-year-old arrived on Wearside with a big reputation after a hugely successful six-year spell in charge of Wales. Coleman has brought with him a wave of positivity and no-nonsense approach to the task of reviving and rebuilding Sunderland. And he is clear that previous experience and reputations count for little when it comes to team selection. It is about what he sees on the training pitches at the Academy of Light on a daily basis and his game-plan for the opposition that matters. 

That’s what will dictate his team selection, with Sunderland travelling to Wolves on Saturday. Coleman, who led Wales to the semi-finals of Euro 2016, admits his approach will inevitably disappoint players from time to time. But the Black Cats boss likes to see that from his players as it shows “they care”. “Whatever the players have done before, I can only pick a team based on what I see through the week,” said Coleman. “I look at the players’ mentality and physicality, and of course technically I know what they can do, and I will pick and prepare what I think is the best team. “I’m not bothered if they have no international caps, 15 caps, or 50, if they’ve played in the Premier League or not, I will pick the team that I think is best ready for the next opposition. “One or two will be disappointed from week to week, but I like that – it shows that they care. 

“I look at individuals and ask whether they can fit into my game-plan, and if I feel they can then they will get a chance. I think that’s just me doing my job properly. “I can’t comment on what has happened before me, last year or the year before with certain players, I can only go with what I see.” Coleman, who has lost to Aston Villa and Reading and beaten Burton Albion since taking over, takes his struggling Sunderland side to league leaders Wolves this weekend. 

And Coleman and his coaching staff have their work cut out at the Academy this week as they look to form a game-plan that can prevent the league’s in-form side, with Wolves boasting the best attack and one of the meanest defences in the division. Wolves, who have 47 points from their opening 20 games, have taken the Championship by storm this campaign and currently lead second-place Cardiff City by four points. Nuno Espirito Santo’s side have scored the most goals with 41 to their name and also boast the second-meanest defence in the second tier with just 17 conceded. Only Cardiff City have conceded fewer goals ahead of Sunderland’s trip to Molineux. Sunderland, who have only won two league games all season, have shipped 38 goals, a league high along with Burton.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-12-06, 8:39 am

we are on a licking to nothing, are we not, so we might as well play those whose heads do not go down after goal has been scored or a sending off.
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-06, 9:16 am

sunderpitt wrote:we are on a licking to nothing, are we not, so we might as well play those whose heads do not go down after goal has been scored or a sending off.
And it seems Coleman agrees, Saturday, IMO, was a good day for Cookie.

League position, past records and training ground attitudes are no substitute for standing on the touch line and witnessing what we have witnessed so many times. All of the fighting words and big reputations count for little, they simply fade away when the going gets tough, indeed for many they fade away when that whistle blows.

Our starting 11 on Saturday was full of experienced players maybe not the best and maybe past their best but experienced premiership players all the same but that counted for nothing. We scored a goal because an inexperienced kid decided to take the ball and attack, basic simple idea, take the ball and attack.

So Galloway may have had a bad start but if he is prepared to have a go, great along with the rest, who knows, it may even inspire the old pros to join in.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-12-06, 10:56 am

cyprussyd wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:we are on a licking to nothing, are we not, so we might as well play those whose heads do not go down after goal has been scored or a sending off.

League position, past records and training ground attitudes are no substitute for standing on the touch line and witnessing what we have witnessed so many times. All of the fighting words and big reputations count for little, they simply fade away when the going gets tough, indeed for many they fade away when that whistle blows.

Our starting 11 on Saturday was full of experienced players maybe not the best and maybe past their best but experienced premiership players all the same but that counted for nothing. We scored a goal because an inexperienced kid decided to take the ball and attack, basic simple idea, take the ball and attack.

So Galloway may have had a bad start but if he is prepared to have a go, great along with the rest, who knows, it may even inspire the old pros to join in.
Hear, hear! Maybe Galloway as an attacking fullback is a better option, than a Galloway who is asked to defend as a traditional fullback. I felt really sorry for him and am hoping he surprises us all. He at least has energy and knows how much he has to prove, as do the other youngsters. We really ought to give then a chance because can they really do any worse?
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-12-06, 12:28 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

Hear, hear! Maybe Galloway as an attacking fullback is a better option, than a Galloway who is asked to defend as a traditional fullback. I felt really sorry for him and am hoping he surprises us all. He at least has energy and knows how much he has to prove, as do the other youngsters. We really ought to give then a chance because can they really do any worse?
The times I’ve seen Galloway at full back he has been dross.
Maybe it’s the way he was told to play by Grayson.
I never moved forward or made any attempt to overlap 
I would like to see him play in an attacking full back position and given a chance 
It could work
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-12-06, 12:50 pm

Vincemac wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

I would like to see him play in an attacking full back position and given a chance 
It could work
I hear what you are saying Vince but would replace the word dross with the word scared and he knew any mistake would be met with jeers, he ended scared but he did indeed look good going forward IMO.

Hopefully a good game on Saturday will boost his confidence.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-12-06, 12:56 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

It could work
I hear what you are saying Vince but would replace the word dross with the word scared and he knew any mistake would be met with jeers, he ended scared but he did indeed look good going forward IMO.

Hopefully a good game on Saturday will boost his confidence.
Hope so Syd
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum