SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» League Table Week 21
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 22
Yesterday at 8:48 pm by canary-dave

» What about us? Come on son you will love Roker
Yesterday at 8:42 pm by gil t azell

» Results Week 21
Yesterday at 8:11 pm by gil t azell

» RIP Jimmy
Yesterday at 8:03 pm by canary-dave

» Sunderland v Hull City--Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 4:46 pm by cyprussyd

» A Good read IMO
Yesterday at 2:12 pm by cyprussyd

» Robin Ruiter
Yesterday at 1:07 pm by Hieronymus

» Will we stay up with no reinforcements?
Yesterday at 11:26 am by Billy D

» Thanks Syd, thanks Billy
Yesterday at 11:20 am by Billy D

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd, Kipper

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Coleman appointed

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Coleman appointed

Post  paddocklad on 2017-11-17, 10:47 pm

I would doubt he would come with very little money to spend
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-11-17, 11:12 pm

paddocklad wrote:I would doubt he would come with very little money to spend
Makes you wonder. Why on earth would he come here? I don't expect huge money but surely Short has now seen that the team needs a bit more money put into it. I neve  really thought that coleman would come here so haven't given much ghought to whether he'll do a good job. Difficult to predict whether his international form will continue into club management but I have great hope and  I think bain has pulled off a canny one. I hav  high hopes an  I think he will command respect. Although Grayson spoke positiv  words this will be the first manager  with any sort of aura around  him since Allardyce.

Verdict: happy with some trepidation. Oh sod it, just happy then.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-11-17, 11:22 pm

From the reports in various sites he has had on-going negotiations with us and Wales and they have said they are sorry to lose him and were willing to accede to his request to back-room changes, whatever they were. In demand is a nice position to be in, possibly leading to his conditions being met by us and he has time from now until the end of the January window to persuade new players in.

The club have gone bout this appointment in their own way without revealing too much and whilst he may not be considered a huge name at club level he is about the best we can attract.  He has something to prove and we are a big enough vehicle for him to achieve that.

Could become a very good period, again, for both parties but only time is going to tell us that. I am more optimistic with this appointment than some of those bandied about and look forward to a resurgence.   ack

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-11-17, 11:44 pm

If it comes about....

like like like like like like
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-11-17, 11:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chris Coleman leaves Wales role for Sunderland job

Chris Coleman has left his job as Wales manager to take over at Championship club Sunderland.
Coleman will succeed Simon Grayson, who was sacked after 18 games in charge.
The Football Association of Wales (FAW) confirmed: "Regretfully, Chris Coleman has resigned from his position with immediate effect."
Ex-defender Coleman, 47, succeeded the late Gary Speed in 2012 and guided them to an historic appearance at Euro 2016, where they [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Disappointment followed as Wales failed to reach the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia.
Coleman's assistant Kit Symons has also left his role of Wales coach.
Ex-Wales winger Ryan Giggs and West Bromwich Albion's Welsh manager Tony Pulis were among bookmakers' early favourites to succeed Coleman.

FAW 'extremely disappointed' by Coleman departure

FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford said: "We are extremely disappointed to see Chris' tenure as Wales manager come to an end.
"The FAW and Wales as a nation will be eternally grateful for the job he has done over the last six years as national team manager, from travelling the length and breadth of Wales outside of the media spotlight to talk to players and supporters, to guiding us to the semi-finals of the European Championships.

[size=20]It is understood the Football Association of Wales made significant improvements in their offers to Coleman on Friday and were ready to accede to his demands over backroom staff

Rob PhillipsBBC Wales football correspondent[/size]

"We wish Chris the very best of luck for the future as he returns to club management, a desire for which he has always been honest and open about."
After Wales' qualifying campaign for the 2018 tournament ended in defeat by the Republic of Ireland, Coleman's last two games in charge were a 2-0 loss to France and 1-1 home draw against Panama in November, 2017.
Negotiations between Coleman and the FAW continued after the game against the Central Americans.
Those talks ended with Coleman leaving. He had often spoken about hoping to return to the day-to-day demands of club management amid a career that has included being in charge of Fulham in the Premier League.

'I'm gutted, really disappointed' - Gabbidon

Ex-Wales defender Danny Gabbidon told BBC Sport Wales: "I'm gutted, really disappointed. I know all the fans will be, the players will be as well.
"I know how much they thought of the manager - he was more than just a manager.
"There was a kind of player relationship between the squad and the manager so they'll be gutted hearing that news as well."
Coleman's reign began with Wales 48th in Fifa's world rankings and it ends with them in 14th place.
He will take over at Sunderland, who are bottom of the Championship with one win, seven draws and eight defeats so far this season.
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-17, 11:59 pm

Chris Coleman will be announced as Sunderland's new manager after agreeing a £750,000-a-year contract to be the Black Cats' boss. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 12:04 am

I am delighted he is coming, his technical ability is not something I bother about, its a given for me he has it but its two things that excite me.

1. He seems an excellent man manager who takes players with him
  2. He is a big personality on and off the field.

Our most successful managers of late have been Reid, Bruce, Allardyce and maybe Keane. All had both of the above.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 12:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 12:20 am

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 12:50 am

Revealed: Real reason why Chris Coleman left Euro 2016 heroes Wales for Championship strugglers

The inside story of why Wales' most successful went to a club rock bottom of the Championship and staring League One football in the face
By
Paul Abbandonato

• 23:16, 17 NOV 2017
  • UPDATED23:47, 17 NOV 2017

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"
That's a quote from Chris Coleman - Wales' most successful boss - after his side were knocked out of Euro 2016 at the semi-final stage.
Wales supporters were upset, but never really dreamed they'd ever get that far. However things didn't go to plan after that, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
After that there was always the danger that Coleman would walk away from Wales after almost six years in the job.
But Sunderland?
We say it again. Sunderland AFC? Rock bottom of the Championship and staring League One football in the face.

Chris Coleman has left his role as Wales international manager (Image: null)

Chris Coleman consoles Wales' forward Gareth Bale after they lost to Portugal (Image: AFP)
READ MORE

From managing in the Euro 2016 semi-finals, Coleman could be taking his team to Rochdale, Fleetwood and MK Dons next season.
As it is, one of his first games in charge of his new club will be away to Burton Albion next Saturday.
Hardly the glamour of the Uefa Champions League that Coleman openly stated was his big ambition in club football in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Panama.

Coleman leaves the Wales job with the goodwill of the Welsh public, having given us an unprecedented journey of incredible and never to be forgotten highs.
But there will be thousands of fans out there questioning the choice of club Coleman has made as he parts company with Wales.

We understand Coleman told the FAW hierarchy in the aftermath of the Panama match that he had another job offer.
Turns out that was Sunderland.
Desperate not to lose their man, the FAW worked frantically to try to put in place a package that would enable them to keep their manager.
Coleman wanted improvements to the Wales team’s training HQ. Agreement was given. He also wanted full-time deals for members of his backroom staff.

When it became clear Coleman was prepared to walk if he wasn’t given his way, the FAW attempted to come up with various packages that would persuade him to stay.
The FAW historically do not pay their managers big bucks, not by football standards anyhow. But they were ready to push the boat out to make Coleman easily the highest paid manager in Wales’ history. By a country mile, in fact.
However, even those sums on offer could not match the £1m a year Coleman will be netting with Sunderland - that's why he left.
Financially, Wales simply cannot compete with club football.
The FAW’s typical annual turnover is around £10m. They are a not for profit organisation. They are responsible for the game as a whole throughout Wales, helping fund every aspect of the sport from youth and grassroots, through the women’s game, to Coleman’s senior men’s side.

The FAW budget could only stretch so far. Unfortunately, it was never going to stretch enough.
The FAW’s five-man executive did meet in Cardiff on Friday to try to crunch the numbers. But Coleman pretty quickly rejected what was on offer and grudgingly there has been a parting of the ways.
Deep down, Coleman always wanted to call it a day with Wales after our World Cup fate was known. He has been open in stating his desire to return to club management, admitting he misses the day to day involvement.
But the public love displayed from his players, who pleaded with Coleman to stay, and the fans, who sung ‘We don’t want you to go’, tugged at his soul. Coleman was bound to be swayed by that.

He was further energised by the emergence of teen talents such as Ben Woodburn and Ethan Ampadu, players who suddenly gave the Wales team a much-needed extra dimension.
But at the back of his mind Coleman must also have wondered if he had taken the team as far as he could. I mean, how on earth does it get better than the joy he helped give us in France 2016?
Coleman admitted on Tuesday night he didn’t know whether or not he had taken charge of his last game with Wales. Unfortunately, very quickly it became clear that he had.
He informed the FAW on Friday of his decision to go.
So what happens next? Well Sunderland, at some point, will officially announce Coleman as their new manager, although the cat is well and truly out of the bag on that one!
Since Coleman was appointed Wales boss in 2012, the Black Cats have had seven different permanent managers - Martin O’Neill, Paolo di Canio, Gus Poyet, Dick Advocaat, Sam Allardyce, David Moyes and Simon Grayson.
Whether Coleman can spend more time in the hot-seat than they did remains to be seen.
Wales, in the meantime, will begin the hunt for their own new boss.
Ryan Giggs is already red-hot favourite. He is the man the FAW have coveted before. Suddenly, Manchester United playing and coaching commitments out of the way, Giggs is available.
Whoever gets the job though is going to have one heck of a task matching the feats of Chris Coleman.
He is a Welsh managerial legend. His exploits have already gone into Welsh football folklore.
Farewell Cookie... and thanks for the memories.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 12:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] · [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] · 

I understand Chris Coleman will be Sunderland’s new Manager. In place for trip to Aston Villa.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2017-11-18, 1:55 am

cyprussyd wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] · [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] · 

I understand Chris Coleman will be Sunderland’s new Manager. In place for trip to Aston Villa.
Were in the shit
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-11-18, 8:25 am

Not sure about this one limited club manager with a squad playing two games a week, decent if not very good international manager using the best players from his country playing twice every couple of months. If Short has lied to him about funds as he has done with all previous managers then we will be looking again in January.
Coleman must realise we are a basket case of a club with players who are either just not good enough or just not motivated if, he can sort that out then we should start climbing out of the clarts. Get it wrong however and the calls for his head will start after a few games. As for me 10 games to see some improvement any improvement would be fine.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 10:18 am

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 10:49 am

Some fans are already predicting automatic promotion this season, from one extreme to the other.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-11-18, 10:55 am

A big plus for me is that in a previous life he was a centre back..... so should be able to organise our back line and bring about improvement..
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-18, 10:57 am

Silvers wrote:A big plus for me is that in a previous life he was a centre back..... so should be able to organise our back line and bring about improvement..
God help us if he cant

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2017-11-18, 11:57 am

Looks like a great signing to me.

He’s gained plenty of experience, passionate, hard working and appears a good guy as well.

Put it this way, how many other teams in the Championship would he go to?  I’d hazard a guess - not many, if any.  He must see your potential and surely must have been offered funds to fulfill it.  Fingers crossed.
Sid MCFC
Executive(VIP)
Executive(VIP)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-11-18, 9:52 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:Looks like a great signing to me.

He’s gained plenty of experience, passionate, hard working and appears a good guy as well.

Put it this way, how many other teams in the Championship would he go to?  I’d hazard a guess - not many, if any.  He must see your potential and surely must have been offered funds to fulfill it.  Fingers crossed.
The more I read about him the more I like but your comment about coming to a Championship team says a lot.  Either the club have given him a broad plan of how and where they want to go which trumps the FAW or he wanted out anyway. Hopefully it will be a win/win for both parties.

I am quietly confident he is capable of achieving things with us in the longer term and that it will be bankrolled if it makes sense, just as the other managers were.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-11-18, 11:29 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Some fans are already predicting automatic promotion this season, from one extreme to the other.
Opinions are always interesting when a lack of basic maths is involved.

That would require us to win at least 27 of our 29 matches left last year!

At best we'll be around 15th or so with 60 points which would be a miracle 14/15 wins plus draws from 29.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-11-18, 11:40 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
Sid MCFC wrote:Looks like a great signing to me.

The more I read about him the more I like but your comment about coming to a Championship team says a lot.  Either the club have given him a broad plan of how and where they want to go which trumps the FAW or he wanted out anyway. Hopefully it will be a win/win for both parties.

I am quietly confident he is capable of achieving things with us in the longer term and that it will be bankrolled if it makes sense, just as the other managers were.

Let's hope Short has not been speaking with fork tongue !  That really would be a surprise....

Very Happy
Silvers
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-19, 9:17 am

Chris Coleman will fly to the North East in the morning and is expected to take training at the Academy of Light [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[ltr]#SAFC[/ltr]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

“We knew already... but Coleman confirms he will arrive on Wearside tomorrow |@Phil__Smith [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
TWITTER.COM

He said: "That's the idea. I've got an early flight tomorrow [Sunday] then up and straight into it. Then it is a big game on Tuesday night against Aston Villa at Villa Park.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-19, 10:13 am

He is here

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: