SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Is it enough
Today at 9:37 am by talcnturnip

» SUNDERLAND V MILLWALL--Match Day Thread
Today at 8:27 am by sunderpitt

» Coleman appointed
Today at 8:25 am by talcnturnip

» Saturday at The Stadium
Today at 6:27 am by gil t azell

» Universal Credit
Yesterday at 11:25 pm by Nostalgic

» Ally, Ally, Ally
Yesterday at 11:00 pm by Hieronymus

» Must watch TV, IMO
Yesterday at 10:59 pm by Hieronymus

» One more who wont be coming then
Yesterday at 9:22 pm by Lever Malone

» ROBBIE STOCKDALE
Yesterday at 4:20 pm by cyprussyd

» Peter Reid's response when asked about Sunderland job
Yesterday at 3:25 pm by talcnturnip

Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd, talcnturnip, Vincemac

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Moyes appointed at the Hammers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moyes appointed at the Hammers

Post  Argus on 2017-11-07, 9:16 am

West Ham have appointed David Moyes as their manager.
The former Everton and Manchester United boss replaces Slaven Bilic, who was sacked on Monday with the club in the Premier League relegation zone.
Moyes has been out of work since May, when he resigned as Sunderland manager after the club's relegation to the Championship.

Hammers joint chairman David Sullivan said the 54-year-old Scot is "the right man to turn things around".
He added: "We need somebody with experience, knowledge of the Premier League and the players in it, and we believe David can get the best out of the players.
"He is highly regarded and respected within the game and will bring fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm.
"He proved with Everton that he has great qualities and we feel that West Ham United is a club that will give David the platform to display those qualities again."
Moyes' first game in charge will be at Watford in the Premier League on 19 November.
He said: "It's a big job we have in hand now but I'm sure that with everyone together we can get the right result between now and the end of the season.
"I'm really looking forward to meeting the supporters, being in the stadium with them. I'm looking forward to them getting right behind the team and my team also.
"We need their support, we need everybody with us."

Let's see what we've been missing eh?

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Moyes appointed at the Hammers

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-07, 10:39 am

Moyes to WHU, a premier team
Sam looking like Everton, a prem team
O'Neil and Keane a big success at Ireland

Seems like all of our crap mangers are doing better than we are

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-11-07, 11:20 am

M& Louse Taylor just done a hatchet job on Moyes.. saying Wistham have not done their due diligence otherwise they would not have gone near him.

Cannot get on my PC to copy and post article
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-11-07, 11:24 am

cyprussyd wrote:Moyes to WHU, a premier team
Sam looking like Everton, a prem team
O'Neil and Keane a big success at Ireland

Seems like all of our crap mangers are doing better than we are

Short the common problem?

Our current defence is crap.. yet we did not fund van Dyke from Scotland to come to Sunderland when Dick was manager
 Nor did we spend a few quid on Alonso as a LB when we had a chance. Not to mention M'Vila.

Not only have we at times bought very badly...at times we have failed to buy when we should have
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2017-11-07, 11:52 am

sunderpitt wrote:

Our current defence is crap.. yet we did not fund van Dyke from Scotland to come to Sunderland when Dick was manager
 Nor did we spend a few quid on Alonso as a LB when we had a chance. Not to mention M'Vila.

Not only have we at times bought very badly...at times we have failed to buy when we should have

Sunders I think you are assuming that all of these players WANTED to play for us.

I think we have been used by quite a few players who saw us as an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window and others who unfortunately saw SAFC as a bad career move, for a multitude of reasons.

Like it or not, SAFC has not been able to attract the players we wanted for a long time and that won't alter until there is a change of direction by the board.

Short term fixes don't work, we need a long term plan.

It's time to batten down the hatches and find a manager who can bring back some pride and stability to the club.

If we can achieve that, then the other elements of the jigsaw will automatically fall into place.

This next managerial appointment could be the most important decision in the clubs recent history.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-11-07, 12:38 pm

Argus wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:

Sunders I think you are assuming that all of these players WANTED to play for us.

I think we have been used by quite a few players who saw us as an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window and others who unfortunately saw SAFC as a bad career move, for a multitude of reasons.

Like it or not, SAFC has not been able to attract the players we wanted for a long time and that won't alter until there is a change of direction by the board.

It's time to batten down the hatches and find a manager who can bring back some pride and stability to the club.

If we can achieve that, then the other elements of the jigsaw will automatically fall into place.

This next managerial appointment could be the most important decision in the clubs recent history.

I particularly mentioned those 3 players cos they all wanted to come.. Short would not cough up... A pity we could have sold them all  for a good profit
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-11-07, 12:56 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
Argus wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:

I particularly mentioned those 3 players cos they all wanted to come.. Short would not cough up... A pity we could have sold them all  for a good profit
And may be we would not have needed to
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2017-11-07, 4:37 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
Argus wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:

I particularly mentioned those 3 players cos they all wanted to come.. Short would not cough up... A pity we could have sold them all  for a good profit.

How do we know 'they all wanted to come'?

I remember us (and many other clubs) showing an interest in Van Dijk at Celtic but I don't ever recall him proclaiming a desire to sign for us.

The problem is that the media spreads so much speculative news (and a lot of that is conflicting anyway) about potential player movement that most fans have no idea what to believe.

You only need to look at the BBC Sports website to see what I mean - they usually credit newspapers with their news -  and not a day goes by without at least 2 or 3 different 'informed' sources claiming that a certain player is moving on, but it's always to different clubs!

I learned a long time ago to ignore the media speculation, wait for announcements from the club and/or player involved and only then will I let my excitement take hold.

It's not so thrilling but it certainly leads to a lot less disappointment.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-07, 5:00 pm

And the club did the right thing with MVilla 6 months left on his contract and a 8mil plus few. We signed him on a pre contract then He changed his mind

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-11-07, 5:25 pm

Bollocks...
  Van Dyke wanted to come cos of a Dick a fellow countryman and was all set Short would not cough up

We had an option for Alonso of about £3/4 mill..later sold to Chavski for £20M

We paid  £13m + for N'Dong it was stupid not to get Mobile for half that when we had the chance 

Dream on...
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-11-07, 5:41 pm

sunderpitt wrote:Bollocks...
  Van Dyke wanted to come cos of a Dick a fellow countryman and was all set Short would not cough up

We had an option for Alonso of about £3/4 mill..later sold to Chavski for £20M

We paid  £13m + for N'Dong it was stupid not to get M'Vila for half that when we had the chance 

Dream on...
I agree with you Sunderpitt. How things may have been if a certain owner had speculated to accumulate when we had the chance.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-11-07, 6:00 pm

cyprussyd wrote:And the club did the right thing with MVilla 6 months left on his contract and a 8mil plus few. We signed him on a pre contract then He changed his mind
No way did we do the right thing there. He was worth the money. Far better than what we had and far better than what we got in. He'd have made a huge  difference to us. He only change  his mind after Sunderland fannied around and didn't commit to buying him. The message to him: yeah we sort of want you but only if you come for free.

Absolutely shambolic decision making and it cost us.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-07, 6:20 pm

Kipper wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:And the club did the right thing with MVilla 6 months left on his contract and a 8mil plus few. We signed him on a pre contract then He changed his mind
No way did we do the right thing there. He was worth the money. Far better than what we had and far better than what we got in. He'd have made a huge  difference to us. He only change  his mind after Sunderland fannied around and didn't commit to buying him. The message to him: yeah we sort of want you but only if you come for free.

Absolutely shambolic decision making and it cost us.
All about opinions, I will stick with mine if that's OK

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-11-07, 6:39 pm

David Moyes is the new West Ham manager.

Our thoughts and prayers are with West Ham fans at this difficult time.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-11-07, 7:31 pm

For all we went down Moyes did not do that bad a job given what he had to work with at various times over the season.  We lost most of our games by the odd goal whilst fielding an injury ravaged team.  It just became too big a task in the end.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-11-08, 3:03 am

Nostalgic wrote:For all we went down Moyes did not do that bad a job given what he had to work with at various times over the season.  We lost most of our games by the odd goal whilst fielding an injury ravaged team.  It just became too big a task in the end.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only team Moyes has ever managed that won more matches than they lost, Manchester United and we all know how that ended. As Gil humanly said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with West Ham fans at this difficult time".

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-11-08, 12:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Football club executives like to talk up the amount of “due diligence” they routinely undertake before hiring anyone but such boasts sometimes end up ringing hollow.
Anyone who watched Sunderland regularly last season can be forgiven for wondering precisely how much homework West Ham United did before [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[size=16]David Moyes has ‘point to prove’ after being appointed West Ham manager

[/size]
Had they, for instance, talked to Jermain Defoe? In a revealing interview last autumn Defoe, now with Bournemouth but then leading Moyes’s Wearside attack, said he [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] since the Scot [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
“We’ve given away stupid goals with schoolboy errors, the kind of goals we wouldn’t have given away last season,” Defoe said. “From where we were I feel like we’ve gone backwards. We’ve not hit our old levels. We’re trying to play one-twos on the edges of our box. We’re not solid. We need to get back to the mentality we had before.”
At that point the majority of Sunderland’s squad – admittedly not necessarily the most harmonious or high-quality bunch – had already lost faith in the former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad manager.

They duly finished bottom of the Premier League, winning only six top-tier games all season – none at home after mid December – and signed off with a goal difference of minus 40.
The general tone was set as early as August when, following [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Moyes announced that a relegation struggle beckoned. Prophecies can rarely have proved as self-fulfilling. Granted Sunderland were woefully short on pace and creativity but it did not help that he kept describing his players as “limited”.
As senior professionals muttered about training being “old-fashioned”, with inordinate amounts of time devoted to crossing practice, Allardyce’s successor increasingly came across as a bit dated.
Despite deploying multiple formations through the campaign, his tactics often seemed two-dimensional at best. “David couldn’t get inside the players’ heads, particularly the foreign players,” said an insider, citing his sidelining of the previously influential, suddenly underachieving Tunisia winger Wahbi Khazri as a prime example.

It is said that travel broadens the mind but Moyes’s Spanish odyssey appeared to exert the reverse effect. Perhaps his Basque culture shock explains why part of his £30m summer of 2016 spend for Sunderland was invested in several players he had previously worked with at either Goodison Park or Old Trafford, including Victor Anichebe, Adnan Januzaj, Steven Pienaar and Paddy McNair. Last January the arrival of Darron Gibson, Joleon Lescott and Bryan Oviedo boosted the number of old boys reunited. True, money was tight but such signings smacked of laziness.
In mitigation Moyes had been unaware that Ellis Short, Sunderland’s owner, wanted to sell up or that the club was £110m in debt. Such straitened finances led to a mass of redundancies, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Moyes was aware such cuts were looming when, only a week before, he was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], indulging in “boys bonding”, which he suggested could help avert relegation.
It not only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but prompted suspicions that his refusal to cancel the trip when so many support staff were about to lose their livelihoods betrayed a shallow, uncaring character arguably out of touch with the reality of many lower-paid colleagues’ lives.
As the months passed and the disillusion deepened, Moyes’s combination of misplaced complacency and the sense he was doing Sunderland a favour simply by being there heightened.
With no opportunity to moan about the toxic legacy he had inherited or Short’s broken promises passed up, he became regarded as a broken man, shrouded in a cloak of negativity. As winter turned to spring he oscillated between defiance and despair, with his troubles deepening when, taking offence to questions from the BBC’s Vicki Sparks, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] before [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

A coach renowned for dynamism and meticulousness at Everton bristled at the merest suggestion that his own limitations may have been “found out” on the road between Stretford and San Sebastián while persistently blaming others for Sunderland’s failings.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. “I’ll use this to motivate myself.”
West Ham have given him that opportunity but did they get round to consulting Short first? “We’d been in the Premier League 10 years,” Sunderland’s owner said only last Friday. “And I’d always felt like we were fighting. But last season the way we got relegated was particularly frustrating because I didn’t really feel like we had that fight. Getting relegated in last place was particularly galling, especially since the second half of that season before, when we’d survived, was the best half season we’d ever had. We’d been quite good so we’d gone into that summer on a note of optimism.”
Moyes soon put paid to that.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-11-08, 5:58 pm

Yes I read this yesterday and it made me wonder if Louise had been on the end of any of Moyes comments like he said to Vicki Sparks? Quite a hatchet job I would say (but I do agree with her)
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-11-08, 6:48 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:For all we went down Moyes did not do that bad a job given what he had to work with at various times over the season.  We lost most of our games by the odd goal whilst fielding an injury ravaged team.  It just became too big a task in the end.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only team Moyes has ever managed that won more matches than they lost, Manchester United and we all know how that ended. As Gil humanly said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with West Ham fans at this difficult time".
Statistics are fine as far as they go but look behind the stats.  He took over a wreck of a club at Everton and pulled them up by the bootstraps over time and had to sell his biggest asset but still went without money for about five seasons and they made European football. One season at ManU is not a lot to judge him on but VanGaal got longer under the same conditions.

For me now Moyes came and went but in doing so he took over a going concern, kept the back room staff, signed the players Sam had deals going for, but as the season went forward the injuries mounted outside the transfer window.  

I just refuse to bash any bloke because we ended up relegated after three seasons of so called miraculous escapes.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-11-08, 7:44 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Statistics are fine as far as they go but look behind the stats.  He took over a wreck of a club at Everton and pulled them up by the bootstraps over time and had to sell his biggest asset but still went without money for about five seasons and they made European football. One season at ManU is not a lot to judge him on but VanGaal got longer under the same conditions.

For me now Moyes came and went but in doing so he took over a going concern, kept the back room staff, signed the players Sam had deals going for, but as the season went forward the injuries mounted outside the transfer window.  

I just refuse to bash any bloke because we ended up relegated after three seasons of so called miraculous escapes.

There is some truth in what you say..
However as the season progressed and the shit got worse..  Moyes became more miserable and useless as a manager... not the man to lead a relegation fight on little no no money..  He should have resigned or been fired earlier
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-11-08, 10:33 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

There is some truth in what you say..
However as the season progressed and the shit got worse..  Moyes became more miserable and useless as a manager... not the man to lead a relegation fight on little no no money..  He should have resigned or been fired earlier

There is no handbook on how to deal with these situations and  many people chose to see Moyes as lost, bewildered or defeatist when in fact so many things conspired against him.  An unlucky o.g. against ManC, a keeper clanger against Soton and I could carry on, all precious points dropped, but I am sure he accepted these as part of the game along with injuries.  Borini and Watmore were especially big losses to have to deal with.  Adjusting our style of play to compensate for a weak attack was the only answer and Khazri's attitude about helping out was not helpful either.  He played the hand he was dealt.

No doubt if he saves WHU he will be hated even more by some here.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum