SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» BREAKING NEWS.
Today at 10:08 am by cyprussyd

» Is it enough
Today at 9:37 am by talcnturnip

» SUNDERLAND V MILLWALL--Match Day Thread
Today at 8:27 am by sunderpitt

» Coleman appointed
Today at 8:25 am by talcnturnip

» Saturday at The Stadium
Today at 6:27 am by gil t azell

» Universal Credit
Yesterday at 11:25 pm by Nostalgic

» Ally, Ally, Ally
Yesterday at 11:00 pm by Hieronymus

» Must watch TV, IMO
Yesterday at 10:59 pm by Hieronymus

» One more who wont be coming then
Yesterday at 9:22 pm by Lever Malone

» ROBBIE STOCKDALE
Yesterday at 4:20 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 2 Bots

Argus, cyprussyd, talcnturnip

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

For Stat Lovers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For Stat Lovers

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-26, 7:02 pm

Revealed! The stats that show Simon Grayson’s best back four and keeper – with some big surprises 

MICHAEL GRAHAMSLAW & LUKE VINTON Published: 15:00 Thursday 26 October 2017 

Without a single Championship clean sheet, it’s clear where Sunderland have blotted their copybook most in this miserable season. Black Cats boss Simon Grayson admitted earlier this week that he is still unsure as to his best defence, given the form and injuries which have hit his plans. 

Robbin Ruiter But which defenders deserve the biggest black mark against their name? Who do the stats show should make up the Sunderland manager’s first-choice back four? And what do the numbers say about the apparent Hobson’s choice that Grayson faces between his two struggling goalkeepers? We have dug down into the data of the Black Cats’ season so far to definitively find out. The Black Cats have conceded a league goal every 46.8 minutes in the Championship – a horrendous record for a club fresh from the top flight. Brendan Galloway But who is most to blame of the eight defenders and two goalkeepers used by Grayson? And which players SHOULD be in the manager’s first-choice back four? 

Goalkeepers IN: Robbin Ruiter – Although often on the bench, the stats say the Dutchman has been the lesser of two goalkeeping evils, despite conceding a league goal every 50 minutes. 
OUT: Jason Steele – The Aycliffe-born keeper has fielded as much flak as he has back passes this season, not least for his performance in the 5-2 defeat to Ipswich, and has a miserable record of conceding a league goal every 45 minutes. 

Right-back IN: Adam Matthews – The Welshman, for so long a forgotten man at the Stadium of Light, has mainly played at full-back this season, with Sunderland conceding every 45 minutes with him on the pitch. 
OUT: Billy Jones – Sunderland have shipped Championship goals more regularly (every 40 minutes) with Jones involved than any other player. 

Centre-backs IN: Tyias Browning – The on-loan Everton youngster has made a reasonable impression and statistically been among Sunderland’s most reliable defenders this season, having been party to a league goal against only every 54 minutes. IN: John O’Shea – The skipper may not be up to the standard he used to be, but he remains a relatively solid option in the Sunderland back-line, conceding every 53 minutes. 
OUT: Lamine Kone – The Ivorian has been a pale shadow of the towering presence who helped Sunderland survive relegation in 2016, with the Black Cats leaking 20 league goals - at a rate of one every 42.5 minutes – in his time on the pitch this season. OUT: Marc Wilson – Since arriving for free from Bournemouth, Wilson has found it difficult to adapt to the second-tier, conceding a goal every 51 minutes. 

Left-back IN: Brendan Galloway – Unused by Grayson recently after struggling to convince fans in early season, Galloway – another Everton loanee - is statistically Sunderland’s most solid defender this season by a distance, with only six opposition goals scored in his five appearances at a rate of 69 minutes per goal. 

OUT: Bryan Oviedo – Despite offering an attacking outlet, the Costa Rican has provided little defensive stability this season, and seen a goal given away every 42 minutes he has been on the pitch.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: For Stat Lovers

Post  Billy D on 2017-10-26, 7:07 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Revealed! The stats that show Simon Grayson’s best back four and keeper – with some big surprises 

MICHAEL GRAHAMSLAW & LUKE VINTON Published: 15:00 Thursday 26 October 2017 

Without a single Championship clean sheet, it’s clear where Sunderland have blotted their copybook most in this miserable season. Black Cats boss Simon Grayson admitted earlier this week that he is still unsure as to his best defence, given the form and injuries which have hit his plans. 

Robbin Ruiter But which defenders deserve the biggest black mark against their name? Who do the stats show should make up the Sunderland manager’s first-choice back four? And what do the numbers say about the apparent Hobson’s choice that Grayson faces between his two struggling goalkeepers? We have dug down into the data of the Black Cats’ season so far to definitively find out. The Black Cats have conceded a league goal every 46.8 minutes in the Championship – a horrendous record for a club fresh from the top flight. Brendan Galloway But who is most to blame of the eight defenders and two goalkeepers used by Grayson? And which players SHOULD be in the manager’s first-choice back four? 

Goalkeepers IN: Robbin Ruiter – Although often on the bench, the stats say the Dutchman has been the lesser of two goalkeeping evils, despite conceding a league goal every 50 minutes. 
OUT: Jason Steele – The Aycliffe-born keeper has fielded as much flak as he has back passes this season, not least for his performance in the 5-2 defeat to Ipswich, and has a miserable record of conceding a league goal every 45 minutes. 

Right-back IN: Adam Matthews – The Welshman, for so long a forgotten man at the Stadium of Light, has mainly played at full-back this season, with Sunderland conceding every 45 minutes with him on the pitch. 
OUT: Billy Jones – Sunderland have shipped Championship goals more regularly (every 40 minutes) with Jones involved than any other player. 

Centre-backs IN: Tyias Browning – The on-loan Everton youngster has made a reasonable impression and statistically been among Sunderland’s most reliable defenders this season, having been party to a league goal against only every 54 minutes. IN: John O’Shea – The skipper may not be up to the standard he used to be, but he remains a relatively solid option in the Sunderland back-line, conceding every 53 minutes. 
OUT: Lamine Kone – The Ivorian has been a pale shadow of the towering presence who helped Sunderland survive relegation in 2016, with the Black Cats leaking 20 league goals - at a rate of one every 42.5 minutes – in his time on the pitch this season. OUT: Marc Wilson – Since arriving for free from Bournemouth, Wilson has found it difficult to adapt to the second-tier, conceding a goal every 51 minutes. 

Left-back IN: Brendan Galloway – Unused by Grayson recently after struggling to convince fans in early season, Galloway – another Everton loanee - is statistically Sunderland’s most solid defender this season by a distance, with only six opposition goals scored in his five appearances at a rate of 69 minutes per goal. 

OUT: Bryan Oviedo – Despite offering an attacking outlet, the Costa Rican has provided little defensive stability this season, and seen a goal given away every 42 minutes he has been on the pitch.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Almost gives me a bonk on that.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-10-26, 11:50 pm

Lies, damned lies and statistics.  Mean nowt.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-27, 12:08 am

Interesting read that, and maybe should not be totally discounted. I don't have time to do my own research but in some cases perhaps the stats don't lie.

I have thought Ruiter should be back in for a while

We all know Kone is almost a waste of space.

Oviedo is a bit lke PVA and does get stranded upfield on occasion, so maybe leaves too much space in defence?

Is it time for Galloway to get back to being the exciting prospect Everton believe him to be?

And Matthews has looked better than Jones whenever I have seen him play this season.

As I said, interesting thoughts anyway.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-27, 5:42 am

I think everyone would prefer Ruiter, not sure who is the best keeper but Ruiter seems more confident and commanding and that brings confidence to the back 4.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-27, 5:43 am

I think everyone would prefer Ruiter, not sure who is the best keeper but Ruiter seems more confident and commanding and that brings confidence to the back 4.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-10-27, 7:46 am

Well I would play Ruiter and Mathews but I would leave Oviedo in.....

I wouldn't even put Kone on the bench....he wants to be away but is so thick he doesn't understand that the only way anyone will buy him is if he plays like he did under Alardyce Mad ...we might as well get a youngster in,in his place we would get more effort from them
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-27, 11:00 am

oldblackcat wrote:Well I would play Ruiter and Mathews but I would leave Oviedo in.....

I wouldn't even put Kone on the bench....he wants to be away but is so thick he doesn't understand that the only way anyone will buy him is if he plays like he did under Alardyce Mad ...we might as well get a youngster in,in his place we would get more effort from them
Yes I think most will forgive a OSbea for being slower than he used to be or a Galloway for being poor because for me both give all they have. Its harder to forgive a quality footballer like Kone who does not give his all and at best just goes through the motions.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-10-27, 3:13 pm

Kone has lost interest since last year when Everton were after him he did the same when we were interested in him at Lyon ( I think it was). Totally wrong way to go about it IMO but, th emodern footballer gets away with it.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum