SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V MILLWALL--Match Day Thread
Today at 7:31 pm by cyprussyd

» Defoe
Today at 7:08 pm by Hieronymus

» ASTON VILLA V SUNDERLAND
Today at 7:02 pm by cyprussyd

» We have a new record..
Today at 6:30 pm by Billy D

» CHATBOX
Today at 3:37 pm by Hieronymus

» Quiz 72
Today at 3:34 pm by Hieronymus

» Is it enough
Today at 3:28 pm by Hieronymus

» BREAKING NEWS.
Today at 2:18 pm by canary-dave

» Coleman appointed
Today at 11:57 am by Sid MCFC

» The question needs to be asked
Today at 11:16 am by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 2 Bots

canary-dave, cyprussyd, paddocklad, SAFA Mackem

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-20, 8:45 am

Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong are too similar to operate as a pairing, admits Simon Grayson
Sunderland boss Simon Grayson says he will look at making changes in central midfield, particularly at home, as Black Cats search for winning formula

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• 07:00, 20 OCT 2017

Simon Grayson is ready to break up Sunderland’s central midfield pairing of Lee Cattermole and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Didier Ndong - at least at the Stadium of Light.
The duo have failed to stamp their authority on games this season, leading many to question whether they are too similar and too defensively-minded to operate as a pairing.
Grayson has come to the same conclusion and will look at making changes and the inclusion of Jonny Williams could be one option, although he believes there are games in which the partnership could still work, particularly away from home.
And with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Sunderland playing away at Brentford tomorrow, and with Williams struggling with a hamstring problem, any change may have to wait.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lee Cattermole (Image: Sunderland AFC)
Asked whether Ndong and Cattermole are too similar, Grayson said: “I think its a fair assessment. There are a lot of players who have more to give to get the level that they’re capable of.
“Those two have played at the highest level, what I’ve got to do is get the right options if I do choose to play someone else instead of one of them or alongside them.
“It depends on where you’re playing and who you’re playing against, there’s two arguments to it.

“Someone like Jonny [Williams] gives you a lot more quality on the ball, he sees a pass, makes things happen, has he got the defensive quality?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Lamine Kone's return means Sunderland's central defensive crisis is over
“If you put him in there and you’re overrun then people will say well you should have played two holding midfielders.
“It’s a balance with who and where you’re playing.
“Maybe those two are suited to playing away from home, at home not as much.”
Ndong and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Cattermole were very effective in the games against Derby County and Norwich City earlier in the season, and in the draw at Preston just before the international break.
But they struggled in the home game against QPR last weekend, albeit the visitors’ 3-5-2 formation also made a difference as it meant they had an extra man in central midfield.

Grayson said: “Against QPR they were outnumbered because we went with the 4-4-2 in possession, and QPR had three in there, so its not easy to get on the ball as much, but I do feel in that game both of them probably had to handle the ball a little bit better if we’re going to have sustained periods of pressure.
“I think they’d be the first to admit they’ve different qualities to other players, I thought Didier showed his athleticism and drive in the second half, getting around people and letting others play from there.
“Do we need to handle the ball better as a team? Of course we do, we need more possession to build sustained attacks.”

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-10-20, 9:10 am

First few games I thought they did well however the tactic may have just been sussed out by the other teams ie. no plan B again

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on 2017-10-20, 9:45 am

I have been saying this for weeks,to similar we need one holding and one playmaker/offensive player
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-20, 10:11 am

talcnturnip wrote:First few games I thought they did well however the tactic may have just been sussed out by the other teams ie. no plan B again  

Rovertsafc wrote:I have been saying this for weeks,to similar we need one holding and one playmaker/offensive player
Agree with you both, have been saying the same myself and glad Grayson has finally admitted it.

It's obvious to me, and thousands of other fans, that we need a more creative player in the midfield if we want to go for wins. 

In a team with one holding midfielder, four defenders and a goallkeeper that is more than half the team in nominal defense. Surely that should be enough, with other players helping out as necessary?

I know Sunderland fans and if we see the team having a go, making chances, fighting hard for each other and for points, we will forgive them and try to cheer them on, even when we lose games because the team is not quite good enough

It is the dreary, defensive, trying to stop goals going in, that drains the life from all of us.

So come on Simon. make us eat our words. Go out there and change the habits of a lifetime. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-20, 10:28 am

Everton and Sunderland are very different teams with different expectation and different managers but IMO both share one thing, the pressure of bad results.

Both managers say the right things but the pressure of losing is overtaking the desire of winning.

This feeds through to the players who don't want to be the one who makes the mistake.

Tomorrow at Brentford I have no problem with not losing but we then have two vital and winnable home games and we simply must win, drop Cattermole for these two.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-10-20, 11:02 am

Defensive away from home is fair enough, defensive at home just isn’t on unless Barca or Madrid have dropped in for a kick about.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-20, 11:16 am

talcnturnip wrote:Defensive away from home is fair enough, defensive at home just isn’t on unless Barca(Brum) or Madrid(Middlesbrough) have dropped in for a kick about.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-10-20, 11:50 am

N'Dong much more mobile than Catts... so they ate not similar?

My guess is N'Dong  could play higher up the park if so ordered, Catts is very much a DM. 

So perhaps Grayson is just blowing smoke up our backside
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-20, 1:25 pm

sunderpitt wrote:N'Dong much more mobile than Catts... so they ate not similar?

My guess is N'Dong  could play higher up the park if so ordered, Catts is very much a DM. 

So perhaps Grayson is just blowing smoke up our backside
Or maybe just giving excuses before he drops them 
Or one
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-10-20, 6:32 pm

He obviously read my post last week about being too defensive minded at home playing them two together.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-20, 6:37 pm

gil t azell wrote:He obviously read my post last week about being too defensive minded at home playing them two together.
Stop pissing about and just buy the f*cking club and sort it out.

I hear there is a bar in the boardroom.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum