SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 3:31 pm by Hieronymus

» Keith Chegwin dies
Today at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Yesterday at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Yesterday at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Yesterday at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
2017-12-14, 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
2017-12-14, 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
2017-12-14, 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 2 Bots

Hieronymus

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Black Cats keen to offload big-name trio during January transfer window

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Black Cats keen to offload big-name trio during January transfer window

Post  Argus on 2017-10-13, 11:47 am

'....I have 4 old pound coins if that helps....'

That's the spirit Syd, just a few million more equally generous fans like you and we're on our way to salvation!!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-13, 12:06 pm

Argus wrote:'....I have 4 old pound coins if that helps....'

That's the spirit Syd, just a few million more equally generous fans like you and we're on our way to salvation!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-13, 2:27 pm

Argus wrote:I'm sorry H but when Short took over our club I don't believe he would know the difference between a goalscorer and a goalkeeper so I don't believe for a single moment that he made the final decisions on buying players.

On the moral issue of how he acquired his wealth, let's not forget that he made his money BEFORE the takeover yet I don't recall anyone on this forum having reservations about him then. Most were only too pleased to have acquired a wealthy owner who would fund our dreams.

Whether or not he is a 'good' and worthy owner will always be a matter of conjecture but I'm sure there are many clubs  with the same problem.

The bottom line is that unless we can rattle up £50 - £100 million between us, we fans have no option but to accept the owners we have.
BIB that is true, and exactly what I said before, that he didn't get, or listen to, good advice before he made these decisions. Maybe he felt he could learn this 'soccer' game as he went along. I mean how hard can it be. Get a good manager in, buy good players. Bob's your uncle!

And to be fair it worked for the first few years while Quinn and Steve Walton (CEO) (i.e. good football men!) were still around. We just had the 'normal' ups and downs of a mid table Premier league club. But then Walton moved on in 2011 and Byrne was promoted to CEO and the end of days began. because Short maybe then thought he knew enough and didn't need all these football people telling him how to do it.

So Quinny also left and soon after that MON was sacked, and we ended up with di Canio our manager and De Fanti as Director of Football! Were they good decisions?  Knowing De Fanti is the son of a good friend of Ellis Short for instance, does anyone really believe Margaret Byrne was responsible for those disastrous appointments?

Would Short really have said "okay you guys are the experts I will leave you to all the big decisions on managers and transfers and contracts and I will just sign on the dotted line when you ask me to?" Of course not. HE is the boss, and HE made the decisions that has gotten our club where it is riight now. The buck literally stops with HIM.

And a quick look at our accounts shows that Short has only loaned the club money; not donated, or given, just loaned. None of 'his' money was used to write off debt for instance, as far as I could find out. 

So, in theory, if a rich enough buyer comes along to pay the full price for the club, i.e. enough to pay off all those loans, then Short will get every penny back that he has paid in, plus all the interest on the loans he has had in the meantime. As I said previously, a decent enough return on investment by anyone's reckoning.

Okay, so that is business. Well done Ellis Short. But if he cannot get the price he wants for SAFC now he wants out,  then he will have to take a loss. That is also business, and one an 'astute businessman' should be prepared for, especially if he takes on a risky prospect like a British football club!

So yes, we can all moan and groan and spit blood at where we are, knowing it certainly is not our fault, but affects us all deeply, as this debate and the many others on forums like these will testify. As supporters all we can do is hold on and wait for a new owenr to materialise and then we start again. Doing what supporters do. Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-13, 2:31 pm

I thought Quinn  left after Bruce was sacked

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-13, 2:45 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I thought Quinn  left after Bruce was sacked
Yeah he did, February 2012, a few months after MON was appointed. Sadly it was immediately after Quinn left that MON's initial starburst effect, and results, faded away after we reached 40 points or so that season. MON was sacked the following season of course, in March 2013, so mea culpa Embarassed
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-10-13, 3:12 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Kipper wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Kipper wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Kone wants out and has for some time
Rodwell I am told everyone wants out
N'Dong for me still has no end product

Not sure why Short gets the blame for agreeing with most fans.

Do most fans think that about N'Dong? I certainly don't. I'm not sure what you mean by no end product. Goals? That's an end product but not what he was brought in for. I think he great and I seem to remember so did you at the begining of the season. What I see is someone who generally puts in more effort than most, is not afraid to get stuck in and who's passing is better than loads we've had. Don't turn your back on him just because he hasn't absolutely maintained early season form and you think he may go anyway. I think he's an asset to Sunderland - unfortunately that's where Short's thinking comes in: Saleable assets= get rid.
I agree with you Kipper, N'Dong is energetic, gets stuck in and is all over the pitch during a game. He has the makings of a very good Premier League player I think, but that is why he is considered an asset to sell I guess. And no I would not expect any income from sales to be put back into the team. Ir is all going to pay off debt so when Short sells up for a reduced price, he still has most of his investment back. Crying or Very sad
NDong is indeed full of energy but after a good start IMO he is not improving, lots of running and accepting the ball but what does he do with it, Mcnair may well be a better option.

What he does with it is pass it better than a whole load of others I've seen play in red and white. If he goes he won't get replaced with anyone better. I'm still in denial about him going and as far as I'm concerned he deserves our support. If he gets that maybe he'll see the season out (if he has a choice). Anyway, there's a lot of games to go to January, he's part of the team and we have seen that he can be very good. I say get behind him.
He gets my support every game and I will be there tomorrow supporting him again. His passing however, in my humble opinion is often sideways, yes he may well come good but I still think McNair will be a better option.

I know you'll give him your support just as I knew you'd take the bait Laughing . For me though, having N'Dong and McNair is the best option for Sunderland.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum