SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Mr H will be delighted
Today at 8:23 am by talcnturnip

» Grayson out
Today at 8:02 am by cyprussyd

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Today at 7:33 am by cyprussyd

» Some good news
Yesterday at 7:42 pm by cyprussyd

» Universal Credit
Yesterday at 7:30 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland v Bristol City/Bolton
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by sunderpitt

» word is
Yesterday at 6:51 pm by talcnturnip

» Corbyn in Brussels.
Yesterday at 6:18 pm by Silvers

» Tina anybody?
Yesterday at 2:16 pm by cyprussyd

» Big pants
Yesterday at 1:49 pm by gil t azell

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

Kipper, oldblackcat, talcnturnip

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Universal Credit

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Universal Credit

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-11, 6:22 pm

In tears after watching the BBC news and seeing the plight of a young woman with mental health issues, who has had NO money since applying for Universal Credit in February, despite efforts by her family, social workers and others to help her.

It broke my heart to hear her say she sold her TV but was given a broken one to make her house look more homely.

Dear God are we a civilised country or what? it is £54 a week

Even though I certainly had nothing to do with electing this cruel Tory government it made me feel ashamed that anyone, never mind the most vulnerable, should be expected to live like this, in the UK in the 21st century. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: Universal Credit

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-11, 6:57 pm

The government tell us that they are Razz providing more money to the needy if that’s the right word.
However they are giving it to the wrong people.
Infact if you have some one on you side who knows the loop holes you will be able to claim.
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-11, 7:00 pm

In theory it's a good idea but it's implementation is cruel, uncaring  and a telephone charge for the help line at 55 pence a minute justs adds to the misery of those affected.

I watched Liz Trust being interviewed by Andrew Neil, hardly a well known lefty and she was so out of touch with the lives of real people. One thing she highlighted was how good it was for claimants to go from weekly to monthly payments, she seemed totally oblivious to the fact it meant that people with nothing would now go at least 3 weeks with no income.

I'm afraid that my opinion is that anyone who votes Conservative is doing OK and cares not a jot for others.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-10-11, 7:39 pm

The theory of Universal  Credit and PIP is sound the implementation is cruel and Tory like...the least well off and and the disabled vetting beaten down
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-10-11, 8:35 pm

Slowly and stealthily UK seems to be reverting to Victorian times through its poverty, poor housing, low or no wages leaving those at the rear to be supported by an uncaring government.   

My frustration is that those who run the economy do not need the muscle power of the working class as they have gone back to dealing in money in place of commerce.  Even working class who do work place the economy of their lives ahead of those who cannot get on the work round-a-bout.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-11, 8:36 pm

sunderpitt wrote:The theory of Universal  Credit and PIP is sound the implementation is cruel and Tory like...the least well off and and the disabled vetting beaten down
Yeh and all these people getting pip 
That don’t need it.
Then that leads only many other benefits
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-11, 8:39 pm

Vincemac wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:The theory of Universal  Credit and PIP is sound the implementation is cruel and Tory like...the least well off and and the disabled vetting beaten down
That don’t need it.
Never been for a PIP assessment then

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-11, 8:50 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
That don’t need it.
Yeh 
But I know quite a few who get pip and don’t need it

Ohh when I went for pip I was struggling to get back to work 
But got deemed not suitable which I believe I was at the time 
However I have been very fortunate to manage until my retirement
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 9:24 am

[size=34]Minister's comments show Government pressing on with 'dementia tax' - Labour[/size]

By PA  12 Oct 2017, 7:14
Updated: 12 Oct 2017, 9:0

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Labour has accused the Government of pressing on with its so-called "dementia tax" reforms after a minister said taxpayers should not be "propping up" people to keep their own homes while they were generating "massive" care costs.
Video footage obtained by Labour shows Health Minister Jackie Doyle-Price saying that when it came to their homes, people saw themselves as "the custodian of an asset to give to their offspring" and that "they shouldn't be seen as that".

The Conservatives' manifesto proposal for elderly people to pay for their care costs from the proceeds of the sale of their homes after they die was seen as one of the key factors behind the loss of Theresa May's Commons majority in last June's election.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn (Victoria Jones/PA)

The plan was quickly dubbed the "dementia tax" by opponents and the Prime Minister was forced to partially backtrack during the campaign, saying there would be a "cap" on the total costs people would have to pay, as the Government had previously promised.
Ministers have since said they will bring forward proposals to reform the funding of adult social care for consultation, although the Queen's Speech in June setting out the Government's programme for the next two years did not include any provision for legislation.

However, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said Ms Doyle-Price's comments - filmed during a fringe meeting at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester - showed they were still committed to the original plan.
In the footage released by Labour, Ms Doyle-Price says: "The reality is that the taxpayer shouldn't necessarily be propping up people to keep their property and hand it on to their children when they're generating massive care needs.
"We've got to a stage where people feel that they are the custodian of an asset to give to their offspring but actually we need to get back to a stage where actually homes are for living in - they shouldn't be seen as that.
"People are now well into their pension ages sitting in homes that really are too big for their needs and we really do need to start having those conversations about what's appropriate earlier."
Mr Corbyn, who is visiting a community centre in Shipley, West Yorkshire, on Thursday to highlight Labour's plans to invest £8 billion in social care over the next parliament, said the plan was "appalling".
"The idea of a 'dementia tax' was rightly rejected by the public during the general election. It is appalling that the Tories still want to force older people to pay for care with their homes," he said.
"Labour will provide hope for older people and treat them with the respect they deserve by investing an extra £8 billion in social care and establishing a national care service to reverse years of Tory decline
"It can't be right that if you have a heart condition you're treated on the NHS but if you have dementia you have to pay with your home."

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 9:26 am

Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
That don’t need it.
Yeh 

Anyone getting PIPS who does not need it must be very good actors Vince, its certainly not easy to get.
But even if some people are it does not make the unfair treatment of many right.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-12, 9:39 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
That don’t need it.
Yeh 

Anyone getting PIPS who does not need it must be very good actors Vince, its certainly not easy to get.
But even if some people are it does not make the unfair treatment of many right.
Like I say if you have the right people on your side it will happen and I know many who get pip and benefits that don’t deserve it .
 On the other hand many decerving cases can’t get it.
All the government is bothered about is the amount of money ploughed into it.
Of course it keeps the figures correct
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-10-12, 12:33 pm

What's pips?
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 12:48 pm

Billy D wrote:What's pips?
Personal Independence Payments

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 12:49 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Your mum would probably be eligible.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-12, 1:06 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
To help them whilst getting back to work with an ailment or injury 
That’s what I was told 
Although there other benefits under universal credit that you can apply for I think
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 1:36 pm

Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 
Although there other benefits under universal credit that you can apply for I think
Nope it replaces Disability Living Allowance to help people,like Annette, to have some independence in life. I would bet Billy's mother would qualify and the money would help Billy to look after her.

It does I think also replace other benefits.

Annette had to go through a fairly rigorous assessment with a clear indication she was well and she had to prove different. With doctors and senior consultants giving documented evidence it still came down to her passing. 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Care element to help pay for care, adaptations to home, help with dressing and the like
Part Two
Mobility that helps with her getting around, taxi, mobility car, help with shopping or someone doing her shopping.

Annette was awarded both at the highest enhanced level.

I get annoyed when people say some are lucky to get such help, Annette would give every penny back tomorrow to have her health back.

Try for it Billy, they can only say no.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-10-12, 2:01 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 
Nope it replaces Disability Living Allowance to help people,like Annette, to have some independence in life. I would bet Billy's mother would qualify and the money would help Billy to look after her.

Annette had to go through a fairly rigorous assessment with a clear indication she was well and she had to prove different. With doctors and senior consultants giving documented evidence it still came down to her passing. 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Care element to help pay for care, adaptations to home, help with dressing and the like
Part Two
Mobility that helps with her getting around, taxi, mobility car, help with shopping or someone doing her shopping.

I get annoyed when people say some are lucky to get such help, Annette would give every penny back tomorrow to have her health back.

I don't know anything about it Syd.
I've not had a penny for looking after my mam.
I've always worked so don't know how the welfare state works.
Nobody tells you anything, you have to find out for yourself.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-12, 2:21 pm

Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

You cannot begin a new PIP claim for your mam if she is over 65 (existing claimants still get it beyond 65) but if she needs a full time carer, she should be getting attendance allowance and possibly things like pension credit, housing benefit and council tax discounts etc. The process is outlined in this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could get:

• £55.65 a week if you need help either in the day or at night
  • £83.10 a week if you need help both in the day and at night.

These rates apply from April 2017 to April 2018.
Attendance Allowance is usually paid every 4 weeks.

Make sure you do the benefits check at the bottom of the page too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could also be claiming Carers Allowance at £62.70 per week for yourself, even if you are working, depending on your income. Check it out here:

Contact AgeUk in Durham and I am sure they will be happy to help you sort it all out. Really your social worker or contact at the council should have told you about this. If you need any more help let me know Smile
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 2:34 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

You cannot begin a new PIP claim for your mam if she is over 65 (existing claimants still get it beyond 65) but if she needs a full time carer, she should be getting attendance allowance and possibly things like pension credit, housing benefit and council tax discounts etc. The process is outlined in this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could get:

You could also be claiming Carers Allowance at £62.70 per week for yourself, even if you are working, depending on your income. Check it out here:

Contact AgeUk in Durham and I am sure they will be happy to help you sort it all out. Really your social worker or contact at the council should have told you about this. If you need any more help let me know Smile
You have worked all your life and paid in so it's now time to take a little back Billy

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-12, 2:57 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

Your right 
But do you have to be under oap age.
And some cases these payments are essential 
But some get what you have said for nothing because they had people helping them to fill forms speak up for them and like you say be good actors
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-12, 3:01 pm

Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

You are correct you need some one to help you.
I would imagine you would be entitled to some form of careers allowence.
I know some people who claim to look after there partner 
Then the partner claims to look after them 
It’s help to fill the forms in and people who know what there talking about to help you
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-10-12, 3:03 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

You could get:

Good advice but he needs help from others who know the system
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-12, 6:03 pm

Vincemac wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

You could get:

I have offered to help, but Age UK will also help, as can the Citizens Advice Bureau (if they have not also been decimated by the cuts!)
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-10-12, 7:11 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Vincemac wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
It’s for working people 
That’s what I was told 

PIPS comes in two parts,

Part One
Part Two

You could get:

I have offered to help, but Age UK will also help, as can the Citizens Advice Bureau (if they have not also been decimated by the cuts!)
Yes & I appreciate it, thank you.
I will look into it, I just find it all so baffling.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-12, 9:51 pm

Geoffrey Elwell could barely cook, shower or walk without help - yet was given zero points in a humiliating PIP assessment

MIRROR.CO.UK

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: