SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 6:17 pm by Vincemac

» Keith Chegwin dies
Today at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Yesterday at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Yesterday at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Yesterday at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
2017-12-14, 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
2017-12-14, 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
2017-12-14, 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 2 Bots

Billy D, Mackemneil, talcnturnip, Terrapinic

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Short & Bain, an alternative view.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Short & Bain, an alternative view.

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-11, 2:51 pm

If you read any football forum or social media platform you will be left in no doubt that for the majority of Sunderland fans Short is the antichrist with Bain his bastard son, but is that fair?

Of course there is absolutely no argument against the fact the the club is in the mother of all messes and this happened on Shorts watch and I guess the bottom line is that it makes little difference to Sunderland fans how we got here. Was it shorts well intentioned but ultimately mismanagement or was it a very rich man draining the club dry before moving on?

There again can be no doubt that his decision making has been to say the least inept, his director of football choices failed and in De Fanti we can only assume his appointment was to win a bet. His management decisions however have not been that bad and in O'Neil and Moyes he appointed two of the chosen ones but then tied at least one hand behind their backs with lack of funds.

Short seems like a very astute businessman, you don't become a billionaire through luck but in the world of English football he is out of his depth and short on good advisors. All that said he has put considerable funds into the club just to see those funds, in the main, be wasted. A parting of the ways is the only route that will satisfy everyone and he does not hide the fact he wants out so with that in mind why should he through anymore of his cash at a club he no longer wants to be at?

His task, in my opinion, has hardly been helped when he appointed Margaret Byrne, a no doubt  very clever lady but it would seem again someone out of their depth. Reading between the lines it would seem that many of the clubs problems come from De Fanti recruiting a team of under par footballers then Byrne giving them long contracts on ridiculous wages.

That brings us to the demise of Byrne and the appointment of Martin Bain who can't hide from his record at Glasgow Rangers, a club that was taken to the brink of extinction under his management.

However in putting all the blame on Bain we conveniently forget Sunderland pre Bain, a Premiership club in name, stature, fan base and facilities but a club that had been punching above it's weight for some time. Sunderland have long ago been seen as a successful Premiership club from outside the Durham coal fields and had become famous for their great escapes. 

A common thread that ran through many football forums when discussing the club was that it needed a complete overhaul, a fresh start and maybe, just maybe, a spell in the Championship was needed. At the end of the 16/17 our great escapes ended and many got their wish of a fresh start and rebuild, we just did not realise how big the black hole was and how far Short had distance himself. Bain tells us that Short still coughs up to keep us afloat but afloat seems to be the sum total f his ambition.

So Bain sits in the CEO chair surrounded by problems and at the end of last season those problems included players wanting out, players we wanted out, an owner and boss who also wanted out, a debt that was draining the club of oxygen and no manager although the manager vacancy took a few weeks to materialise, a few vital weeks.

But Bain has in the main moved on the players most wanted out but in Kone we all found that he wanted out but nobody wanted him.
He found the new manager from a daily decreasing list after a nice but unproductive few days in Florida.

And he is I assume working hard on debt reduction, a task that was never going to bring him the, "Most popular man in Sunderland" award.

The transfer window saw us move players the best we could, most on loan and bring in the best we could for the princely sum of around 1.5 million. I saw calls for big investments but we had no cash and Short was unwilling to provide it, it seems his burnt fingers are now deep in his pockets and are staying there.

I read about how we could have bought Daryl Murphy for I believe 2 mil but when his name was mentioned it was met with a chorus of boo's and anyway 2 mil was obviously more that we had.

Bain, again just my opinion is in a no win situation and is doing an almost impossible job in very extreme circumstances.

All Sunderland fans from those who never miss a game home and away to the other end of the spectrum, the ones who have given up on live games but still hurt when we lose, all are hurting and so we all should.

Being a football fan of any team is more than win or lose, it's about emotion. A few years ago I like thousands of others set of early to travel to Wembley to see us play Manchester City. We traveled with hope but no real expectation but we traveled with a big smile on our collective faces, our team, Sunderland, were in a cup final, it was our day or for many weekend at the top of the tree. I well remember the emotion build as all around me all I could see was a sea of red & white, pride, love and a family of like minded mackems,emotions ran high.

Then that moment came, the moment that Borini scored and for that brief moment the dreams of cup winners was ours, pure emotion.Yes we lost and that was no real surprise to anyone  but all of the bad emotions of losing were, for me, worth it for that one moment of bliss when we were beating Manchester City in the cup final at Wembley and I can forever say,"I was there".

Eventually Short will move on, yes I agree, the sooner the better for us and him, Bain will stay or go, our new owners will decide on that but we, the fans, will still, in the main, be here.

Again it's just my opinion but my job and your job is to do all we can to make sure that Sunderland AFC are in the best condition it can be when our new owners arrive and we do that by simply supporting them the best we can.

KTF & FTM
ack ack ack ack

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Short & Bain, an alternative view.

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-10-11, 3:46 pm

Great post. I am in the "Short is the Devil and Bain is Lucifer" camp as you know but accept others have different views.

I agree Margaret Byrne was perhaps a disaster but think perhaps she was not the one offering those long contracts, it was just her name on the paperwork. I would put those errors down to de Fanti, Congerton and Short who, as chairman and owner, always had the final say on price and probably wages, since he is the only investor and it was his money!

I would bet a more experienced CEO or Chairman, like Daniel Levy at Spurs for example, would have been more savvy. Probably why Short got Bain in, thinking to correct that mistake, but I fear he has again been badly advised. Sigh... Crying or Very sad

But, as you say, all we can do is support the team, as best we can, until this gets sorted out. And it will at some point. Until then SAFC will always be in our hearts, as we can see by the passionate views on here. After all, no one would argue, if they truly didn't care, would they?
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-11, 3:53 pm

Simply a post to start debate

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-10-11, 8:52 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Simply a post to start debate
My two pennorth is that we have been sliding towards the relegation door for four seasons or so, took on managers who were probably the best available, or willing to come, all in the name of supposedly kicking on.  The history of this board is littered with the opinions of people who, at the time, were happy with the direction the club were taking but for the last six months have had their poison pens full and not many people have escaped being allocated the blame. 

For what it is worth I would have liked DM to have given us another season to steady us, kept the players we got rid of, welcomed back the long term injiured and who knows we just may not be in the fix we are now.  Pie in the sky maybe but just as good as what we have now.

Of the last four managers we have had the only one I was against for long term appointment was DiCanio, but looking back ain't going to change anything but pulling together just might come in useful.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-10-11, 9:38 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Simply a post to start debate
My two pennorth is that we have been sliding towards the relegation door for four seasons or so, took on managers who were probably the best available, or willing to come, all in the name of supposedly kicking on.  The history of this board is littered with the opinions of people who, at the time, were happy with the direction the club were taking but for the last six months have had their poison pens full and not many people have escaped being allocated the blame. 

For what it is worth I would have liked DM to have given us another season to steady us, kept the players we got rid of, welcomed back the long term injiured and who knows we just may not be in the fix we are now.  Pie in the sky maybe but just as good as what we have now.

Of the last four managers we have had the only one I was against for long term appointment was DiCanio, but looking back ain't going to change anything but pulling together just might come in useful.
xx interesting
xx my thoughts exactly

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: