SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 6:17 pm by Vincemac

» Keith Chegwin dies
Today at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Yesterday at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Yesterday at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Yesterday at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
2017-12-14, 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
2017-12-14, 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
2017-12-14, 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 2 Bots

Billy D, Mackemneil, talcnturnip, Vincemac

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Mark Sampson sacked

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mark Sampson sacked

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-20, 6:09 pm

Mark Sampson sacked as England women's manager

I'm not a racist - Sampson
Mark Sampson has been sacked as England women's manager following evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour in a previous role.
The Football Association says it has only just been made aware of details of the allegations made against Sampson when he was Bristol Academy boss.
A 2015 FA safeguarding assessment found Sampson did not pose a risk.
Sampson was also cleared this year of wrongdoing following discrimination allegations made by England players.
The 34-year-old Welshman became England head coach in December 2013 after leaving his role as manager of top-flight side Bristol Academy, now renamed Bristol City Women.
The FA said safeguarding allegations were made a year later and it was found he did not pose a risk, but "the full report of that investigation was only brought to the attention of the current FA leadership last week".
The statement added: "It is our judgement that it revealed clear evidence of inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour by a coach. It is on this basis that we have acted quickly to agree a termination of Mark's contract."
Minister for Sport Tracey Crouch said: "This situation is a mess and raises very serious questions about whether the historic processes that the FA had in place around the recruitment of coaches were appropriate, for something like this to have been missed. The FA are right to have taken action but reassurance is needed to make sure this does not happen again at any level of coaching."
Sampson's England side [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]beat Russia 6-0 in a World Cup qualifier on Tuesday and he led the Lionesses to successive semi-finals at major tournaments.

FA investigation

Last week, the FA announced it was to re-open its investigation into separate discrimination claims against Sampson, first made in 2016.
Sampson was alleged to have asked mixed race England midfielder Drew Spence whether she had been arrested during a tournament in 2015, a claim which he denied.

Eniola Aluko speaks to BBC sports editor Dan Roan
The claim was first made by Spence's England and Chelsea team-mate Eniola Aluko, and Spence has now submitted written evidence to support it.
In a further separate allegation, Aluko said Sampson told her to make sure her Nigerian relatives did not "bring Ebola" to an England game at Wembley in 2014.
Two investigations - one internal FA inquiry and one independent review led by barrister Katharine Newton - cleared Sampson of any wrongdoing.
Senior FA executives are set to face a parliamentary inquiry over the investigations after Aluko initially raised a "bullying and harassment" grievance against Sampson in response to an internal cultural review.
Aluko, who has 102 caps and is a qualified lawyer, and fellow England forward Lianne Sanderson have been invited to give evidence to the select committee hearing planned for mid-October.

Celebration was a statement - Nikita Parris
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Aluko, who 33 goals in 102 games, added that she was content to be out of the England set-up

Support for Sampson

England captain [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Steph Houghton came out in support of her head coach earlier in September but said the allegations had "hit the squad very hard".
"Since Mark has been in charge I've enjoyed every moment," Houghton, 29, told BBC Sport.
"I'm disappointed because women's football has come a long way over the past four or five years and we pride ourselves on inspiring the next generation," she said.
Meanwhile, on the eve of England's opening World Cup qualifier against Russia, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]striker Jodie Taylor said the squad had been brought "together" by the allegations.
She added: "Mark Sampson has been fantastic for my career."
Former England women defender Alex Scott told BBC Radio 5 live that Sampson had "the most open-door policy" she has ever experienced.
Scott, who is of mixed race and played 140 times for England, added: "If anyone ever had a problem he was open to new ideas."

Who's next to coach England?

Tom Garry, BBC Sport
Not only for his recent success at Manchester City, but for his desire to bring through English players, Nick Cushing will be a strong candidate, having won the WSL title in 2016 and the Women's FA Cup in May with a squad built largely with Lionesses.
Yet there will be many within the game who feel the job should go to a female coach and, in that regard, the FA are spoilt for choice.
Chelsea Ladies boss Emma Hayes is the most successful current female boss in the WSL, winning the double in 2015 and the Spring Series in June, but she can be outspoken and may not see eye-to-eye with all at the FA.
From among the recent and current crop of England stars, record goalscorer Kelly Smith and defender Casey Stoney could well be considered, but with their relative lack of coaching experience, appointing either of them would be a gamble.
Reading boss Kelly Chambers is also popular with many current Lionesses, while former Arsenal boss Laura Harvey - currently head coach of Seattle Reign - would be viable, along with ex-Leeds boss Gemma Grainger - part of Sampson's coaching team.
Alternatives include the current Canada women national team boss John Herdman - from County Durham - who has earned good credit for lifting Canada up to fifth in the world, while Englishman Colin Bell won the 2014-15 Champions League with Frankfurt.
But replacing Sampson will not be easy. While the Welshman appears to have divided fans since the Euros, he is held in high regard among other coaches within the game.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mark Sampson sacked

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-09-20, 8:09 pm

From what is available it looks like a good coach has been sacrificed on the Alter of Political Correctness. The FA even went back to a reported incident when he was a coachat one of the Bristol clubs - of which he was also cleared.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-09-20, 8:15 pm

Nostalgic wrote:From what is available it looks like a good coach has been sacrificed on the Alter of Political Correctness. The FA even went back to a reported incident when he was a coachat one of the Bristol clubs - of which he was also cleared.

Not actually cleared nos, he was deemed guilty of inappropriate behaviour but safe to continue coaching!

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-09-20, 8:22 pm

I heard he'd been touching up the lasses.
Mebbes just a rumour but that's what I heard.
Bet he wouldn't touch them up if he was at Benwell 'ladies.'
Hard to tell the difference ower there, lol.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-09-20, 10:10 pm

canary-dave wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:From what is available it looks like a good coach has been sacrificed on the Alter of Political Correctness. The FA even went back to a reported incident when he was a coachat one of the Bristol clubs - of which he was also cleared.

Not actually cleared nos, he was deemed guilty of inappropriate behaviour but safe to continue coaching!
Which presumably means that the FA can lump two incidents and decide that there is a pattern pf perceived incorrectness enough to justify him losing his job.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-09-21, 10:05 am

Billy D wrote:I heard he'd been touching up the lasses.
Mebbes just a rumour but that's what I heard.
Bet he wouldn't touch them up if he was at Benwell 'ladies.'
Hard to tell the difference ower there, lol.

I once helped coach a women rugby team...a bunch of great tough characters.

The worst foul I ever saw was in womens rugby, a forearm smash into the face of a flying winger
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-09-21, 10:06 am

canary-dave wrote:

I presume getting his leg over with the adult players?
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-09-21, 11:45 am

sunderpitt wrote:
canary-dave wrote:

I presume getting his leg over with the adult players?

No idea Sunders, nobody is saying anything about the "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour, though everyone will assume it is sexual!  like

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-09-21, 12:51 pm

Article by Daniel Taylor in the Guardian today (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/20/mark-sampson-fa-england-buck-passing-daniel-taylor ) says that while Sampson was at Bristol Academy:

"some of the club’s trips were more like a coming together of stag- and hen-dos.No doubt more will come out in time but it is not going to be pretty when it involves a football manager, a number of backroom staff, a women’s team and a culture where, according to reliable evidence, some of the more sensible players became increasingly alarmed about what was deemed acceptable."

After the Bristol 'safeguarding' enquiry the FA merely slapped him on the wrist and sent him on a course to learn what the boundaries should be between a coach and players, like any coach does not learn that on Coaching 101!!!!  I am guessing he was not classed a safeguarding risk probably because the women involved were over 16.

Throughout my own life I have also had to put up with creepy men getting too close and taking advantage of their positions of power in the workplace. This behaviour should have set off very loud warning bells in the FA, but instead they buried the report and did not do proper due diligence before they employed him in such a senior position working with young women.

As far as the racism charges go, I don't believe Sampson is racist, but I do think he made inappropriate racist remarks. If my manager had said to me "How many times have you been arrested then? Four times isn't it", I would be offended whether I was male or female, white or black but of course it is far worse if you are black, with all the awful racial stereotypes that abound! I can perfectly well appreciate how a young woman of mixed race, in the England squad for the first time, would have felt very uncomfortable being subjected to such 'banter', and also how she would feel unable to take it further at that time.

When Aluko, a solicitor and senior player, with 102 caps and 33 goals for England, decided to call him out for this, and for making remarks to her such as "be careful your parents don't bring Ebola with them when they come to Wembley" what happened next was what always seems to happen to whistleblowers; the establishment closed ranks, the whistleblower was frozen out, and the allegations swept under the carpet. I perfectly understand Aluko's bitterness at how she was treated, with the £80k payment implying the FA knew she had a case, despite their commissioned 'independent' report exonerating Sampson.

Now the house of cards has fallen down and, as is coming out in the press, the FA has serious questions to answer about its personnel, procedures and processes. They have clearly demonstrated, once again, they are an organisation that is barely fit for purpose in the 21st Century.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-21, 3:15 pm

Now this could be regarded as sexist but its not meant to be, I don't understand why a man is manager of a woman's team.

Simply by the nature of the sport and interaction between manager and players a lot of naked people walking around changing rooms is required and I would have thought a natural awkwardness would come from that.

Or am I just old and out of touch?

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-09-21, 4:13 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Now this could be regarded as sexist but its not meant to be, I don't understand why a man is manager of a woman's team.

Simply by the nature of the sport and interaction between manager and players a lot of naked people walking around changing rooms is required and I would have thought a natural awkwardness would come from that.

Or am I just old and out of touch?

Unfortunately, one on the drawbacks of coaching a women's team for a man is you do not go in the changing room if the women are nude. 101 of the rules
 Yes at half time some might change their kit but they have sports bras and Lyrca etc. Not that sexy especially as like most changing rooms it is a bit smelly

I got briefly into it cos I was coaching my son's team and I was asked by a friend to help out. After a while the gender does not matter they and you just want to win
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-09-21, 9:23 pm

Does this case not hinge around Sampson's remark about visiting family from Nigeria, whilst it may have been totally insensitive it was deemed enough for her to be awarded a payment, presumably  for her "pain and suffering" but not for him to lose his job.  She now appears to be carrying on her revenge by adding racism and bullying leading to his job loss.  

Hopefully he is replaced with a coach of similar ability and this does not lead to Women's football not suffering in the longer term.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-09-22, 4:05 am

Nostalgic wrote:Does this case not hinge around Sampson's remark about visiting family from Nigeria, whilst it may have been totally insensitive it was deemed enough for her to be awarded a payment, presumably  for her "pain and suffering" but not for him to lose his job.  She now appears to be carrying on her revenge by adding racism and bullying leading to his job loss.  

Hopefully he is replaced with a coach of similar ability and this does not lead to Women's football not suffering in the longer term.

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum