SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

It seems its not always about money

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It seems its not always about money

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-18, 9:12 am

A topic that will be close to some hearts in North Sunderland.

Watching the summer transfer window with some envy I watched what is a good manager take Pickford away and that was just the start.

Mr H will give exact figures but we know a few bob was then spent by Everton to make massive improvements to the Everton team but results and league position show that so far it's not working, I'm sure it will but right now they are in the bottom three.

Undoubtedly if we had had the cash to bring in a striker, McCormack for example we would be better off now because we have created chances but balance and time are often needed, balance we cant buy right now but time we can.

But Mr H, what is going wrong at Everton?

Everton fans are questioning their club's decision to sign a sleeve sponsorship deal with Angry Birds as they are worried the logo may contain red. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: It seems its not always about money

Post  Silvers on 2017-09-18, 11:02 am

In a nutshell.
If every team in a division each spent £100m to bring in better players, at the end of the season three teams still get relegated.

So the game is to have better quality than at least three others,

SAFC are not very good at this !

Very Happy

Saw all this before in 57-58
First seasons after relegation  were a real struggle.

From the reserves we unearthed a young Ian Lawther. 

Not prolific but got us enough goals to keep us safe.
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-09-18, 1:21 pm

No Mr H has ben very very quiet last few weeks. I think he is more disillusioned than we are if I am honest because Everton never had moeny to spend and this season was the first in many a year they have splashed any cash on new signings. So he and his mates were all excited about it. But he and others were very concerned when they did not bring in an out and out striker (sound familiar!) after selling Lukaku and their fears have borne fruit.

Their summer transfers inwards totalled £150m: 

Jordan Pickford- £30m
Michael Keane - £30m
Davy Klaasen - £24m
Gylffi Sigurdsson - £45m
Sandro Ramirez - £9m
Nikola Vlasic - £5m
henry Onyekuru - £7m
Cuco Martina - Free
Wayne Rooney - Free

But they got £75m for Lukaku, £10m for Deulofeu and £8m for Tom Cleverly plus odds and sods (even got £250k from us for mcgeady after all!) so Net Spend is £55m. A lot of money but, in the scheme of Premier League spending is not massive.

With that big gap up front, and now leaking goals, Mr H and his fellow supporters are very concerned indeed. They are not convinced by the  managers tactics, as they vary between back 3 and a back 4 with 3 out of 5 defenders being new to the club. He also tends to play defensive midfielders allowing opposition to control the Everton attacking third. Koeman did switch it yesterday after Man Utd scored first goal, and they played well until he took Rooney off, at which point Everton collapsed and let three more goals in!

There is also a concern at their lack of pace when Calvert-Lewin or Mirallas do not play, given Koeman sets the team up generally to play on the counter attack. Plus Koeman appears to have fallen out with Mirallas and vice versa, despite him just signing a new contract, so that situation does not help. Sigurdsson is continuing to disappoint, as I suspected he would - some players only do well as big fish in small ponds and he was poor when he went to Spurs. Mr H would like to see Sandro get a run in the team as he fels he can develop into the main front man they need, but he needs minutes on the pitch and time to learn, which we know all too well, players and managers get little of these days.

So far the main success is Pickford, despite his mistake yesterday, his saves have also saved points in previous games, and for outfield players the best 'buy' so far is proving to be Martina who was a free! They are also generally happy with Michael Keane, but he has a weakness if players come at him with pace as he is not quick on the turn or at getting back. So that is an area for attacking teams to exploit, as Man Utd did yesterday.

Hope Simon is reading all this for Wednesday! If any of these players are even in the Everton cup team, which I doubt.

PS the 'fans' worry, about a logo having RED in it, is just awful tabloid click bait as it is white text only if you look) ! I think it is funny though since given Wayne Rooney's recent indiscretions, and his subsequent marital difficulties, it is quite ironic for him to wear a logo saying "Angry Birds" on his sleeves Laughing
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-18, 1:44 pm

Hieronymus wrote:No Mr H has ben very very quiet last few weeks. I think he is more disillusioned than we are if I am honest because Everton never had moeny to spend and this season was the first in many a year they have splashed any cash on new signings. So he and his mates were all excited about it. But he and others were very concerned when they did not bring in an out and out striker (sound familiar!) after selling Lukaku and their fears have borne fruit.

Their summer transfers inwards totalled £150m: 

Jordan Pickford- £30m
Michael Keane - £30m
Davy Klaasen - £24m
Gylffi Sigurdsson - £45m
Sandro Ramirez - £9m
Nikola Vlasic - £5m
henry Onyekuru - £7m
Cuco Martina - Free
Wayne Rooney - Free

But they got £75m for Lukaku, £10m for Deulofeu and £8m for Tom Cleverly plus odds and sods (even got £250k from us for mcgeady after all!) so Net Spend is £55m. A lot of money but, in the scheme of Premier League spending is not massive.

With that big gap up front, and now leaking goals, Mr H and his fellow supporters are very concerned indeed. They are not convinced by the  managers tactics, as they vary between back 3 and a back 4 with 3 out of 5 defenders being new to the club. He also tends to play defensive midfielders allowing opposition to control the Everton attacking third. Koeman did switch it yesterday after Man Utd scored first goal, and they played well until he took Rooney off, at which point Everton collapsed and let three more goals in!

There is also a concern at their lack of pace when Calvert-Lewin or Mirallas do not play, given Koeman sets the team up generally to play on the counter attack. Plus Koeman appears to have fallen out with Mirallas and vice versa, despite him just signing a new contract, so that situation does not help. Sigurdsson is continuing to disappoint, as I suspected he would - some players only do well as big fish in small ponds and he was poor when he went to Spurs. Mr H would like to see Sandro get a run in the team as he fels he can develop into the main front man they need, but he needs minutes on the pitch and time to learn, which we know all too well, players and managers get little of these days.

So far the main success is Pickford, despite his mistake yesterday, his saves have also saved points in previous games, and for outfield players the best 'buy' so far is proving to be Martina who was a free! They are also generally happy with Michael Keane, but he has a weakness if players come at him with pace as he is not quick on the turn or at getting back. So that is an area for attacking teams to exploit, as Man Utd did yesterday.

Hope Simon is reading all this for Wednesday! If any of these players are even in the Everton cup team, which I doubt.

PS the 'fans' worry, about a logo having RED in it, is just awful tabloid click bait as it is white text only if you look) ! I think it is funny though since given Wayne Rooney's recent indiscretions, and his subsequent marital difficulties, it is quite ironic for him to wear a logo saying "Angry Birds" on his sleeves Laughing
What a great answer H and I love the angry bird bit.

I guess my point for posting is how hard it is for clubs and managers to get it right, mind few can get it as wrong as we do.

Oh to be a footy fan

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-09-20, 7:39 pm

Fascinating listening to the pundits on Sky, previewing our game and they are mentioning many of the same things I described above Very Happy Mind not sure I am happy to agree with Phil Thompson Laughing
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum