SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Academy of Plight?
Today at 8:28 am by cyprussyd

» Is it time for Tom Beadling to be given his chance?
Today at 8:22 am by cyprussyd

» Predictions Week 10
Yesterday at 8:53 pm by Mackemneil

» Results of week 8 and fixtures for week 9
Yesterday at 8:51 pm by Mackemneil

» Special day Tuesday!
Yesterday at 8:43 pm by Mackemneil

» Classic Clough
Yesterday at 6:21 pm by canary-dave

» Craig Shakespeare: Leicester City sack manager four months after appointment
Yesterday at 4:54 pm by cyprussyd

» Is it payback time?
Yesterday at 2:43 pm by sunderpitt

» Quiz 68
Yesterday at 11:14 am by MrRAWhite

» Death of Working Men's Clubs
Yesterday at 9:07 am by Sid MCFC

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests

Vincemac

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Story of a super fan.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Story of a super fan.

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-17, 9:03 am

In these times of never ending suffering I want to share with you all the story of Ash, a man who sits next to me on our ride to and from games and a man who, IMO deserves the 70 grand a week Rodwell is on.

Ash is in his late 60's, multiple health issues, lives in the same council house he has lived in for years with his wife and has a daughter and grandson, typical of many. Ash has never held a driving licence, is not wealthy and gets full use from his bus pass.

He goes to every Sunderland game, home, away and cup and every under 23 game at Eppleton, he has done for most of his life.

We know the bus is due when we see him turn the corner, same dark trousers, Sunderland scarf round his neck and Asda carrier bag full of his medication and inhaler.

There are games, like Wednesday nights, when we don't have a bus going but that never stops Ash. Our branch secretary Jim ill phone around other branches to find a bus and book Ash on, Chester Le Street bus sees Ash walk to the A1 slip road to be collected and walk back when dropped off. South Shields sees him catch a bus to Peterlee and wait at the A19 slip road and a late bus or taxi home. Jim could not find a bus for Wednesday but Ash got his ticket on Saturday and will get there by bus and train, no idea how he gets back.

I talk to Ash a lot and often ask the same question, why? I always get the same answer,"It's what fans do". Well I consider myself a good fan but I always tell Ash it's not what I could or would do.

There are many like Ash at Sunderland and indeed other clubs, loyal, dedicated men and woman who just turn up no matter what because it's what supporters do.

I wish the Shorts and many players in the leagues could meet with the Ash's of this world and see that dedication, that love and that matter of fact,"Well it's what supporters do". 

Many will think Ash is mad, daft, stupid or even sad but he is happy and simply gives the club his life and his wife and family understand that. He never thinks himself better than me and you, he just cant understand us and why we would want to miss out on following the club. He sees the bad and hurts like us all but will just carry on whatever the future holds because its just what supporters do.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Story of a super fan.

Post  Billy D on 2017-09-17, 9:16 am

cyprussyd wrote:In these times of never ending suffering I want to share with you all the story of Ash, a man who sits next to me on our ride to and from games and a man who, IMO deserves the 70 grand a week Rodwell is on.

Ash is in his late 60's, multiple health issues, lives in the same council house he has lived in for years with his wife and has a daughter and grandson, typical of many. Ash has never held a driving licence, is not wealthy and gets full use from his bus pass.

He goes to every Sunderland game, home, away and cup and every under 23 game at Eppleton, he has done for most of his life.

We know the bus is due when we see him turn the corner, same dark trousers, Sunderland scarf round his neck and Asda carrier bag full of his medication and inhaler.

There are games, like Wednesday nights, when we don't have a bus going but that never stops Ash. Our branch secretary Jim ill phone around other branches to find a bus and book Ash on, Chester Le Street bus sees Ash walk to the A1 slip road to be collected and walk back when dropped off. South Shields sees him catch a bus to Peterlee and wait at the A19 slip road and a late bus or taxi home. Jim could not find a bus for Wednesday but Ash got his ticket on Saturday and will get there by bus and train, no idea how he gets back.

I talk to Ash a lot and often ask the same question, why? I always get the same answer,"It's what fans do". Well I consider myself a good fan but I always tell Ash it's not what I could or would do.

There are many like Ash at Sunderland and indeed other clubs, loyal, dedicated men and woman who just turn up no matter what because it's what supporters do.

I wish the Shorts and many players in the leagues could meet with the Ash's of this world and see that dedication, that love and that matter of fact,"Well it's what supporters do". 

Many will think Ash is mad, daft, stupid or even sad but he is happy and simply gives the club his life and his wife and family understand that. He never thinks himself better than me and you, he just cant understand us and why we would want to miss out on following the club. He sees the bad and hurts like us all but will just carry on whatever the future holds because its just what supporters do.
Nice story that Syd, he sounds like a top bloke.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-17, 9:18 am

Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:In these times of never ending suffering I want to share with you all the story of Ash, a man who sits next to me on our ride to and from games and a man who, IMO deserves the 70 grand a week Rodwell is on.

He is Billy.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-09-17, 9:51 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:

He is Billy.
Nice read
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-09-17, 11:16 am

I concur with Billy, I would be just the same apart from financial constraints.   like

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-09-17, 12:19 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wot CD said.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-09-17, 1:20 pm

sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum