SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» MAJA GOAL
Today at 4:08 am by canary-dave

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Today at 2:38 am by oxfordshire

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 9:43 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

» Keith Chegwin dies
Yesterday at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

canary-dave, Nostalgic, sunderpitt

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

Same old Sunderland, maybe not.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Same old Sunderland, maybe not.

Post  cyprussyd on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am

For more years than any of us like to remember the positive good times have been overshadowed by the many bad times.

Every high was predictably followed by the "Same old Sunderland" cry, the one guarantee was that any Sunderland team under any manager would flatter to deceive and in the end let us down.

But we are no longer the same old Sunderland, years of great escapes followed by great escapes finally ended in May, relegation was no longer a fear it was now a fact.

Moyes walked before being pushed and for a time it seemed nothing had changed, managerless and rudderless we followed the same routine with one added let down, the sale of the club was there then lost in one extra let down.
Bains flew to the USA to finalise the appointment of our new manager and returned with a tan but no manager, could it get any worse?

Well yes it could, we found out the size of our transfer fund, not the lowest we read, well can anyone point out a lower one?

But suddenly I found a reason to be optimistic, suddenly it seemed that all the fans calls for no more, fresh start and a new way have been answered, more I suspect through luck that good management.

Into town rode Simon Grayson, didn't he once manage Leeds I thought, can't remember anything else about him, how low have we sunk.

Then the shocks started, Grayson was happy and wanted to be our manager for all the right reasons. Grayson was more than willing and it seems capable to work on a shoestring, if he had any negative feelings he hid them, only positives came from his lips.

Over and over I heard fans complain about over paid over hyped footballers who cared more about their new car than our club. Grayson was clear, if you want out I will get you out but on my terms. Loans sales and out of contract players saw the exodus of players. The two exceptions are Kone and N'Dong, both expected to go but both still here, will they commit?

Both but Kone in particular have had a massive shock, world class Kone the £20 mil defender found out that no one wanted him and maybe he will only be world class and valuable if he gets stuck in, I honestly expect to see the Kone who first arrived, if he wants out in January he will have to earn a move.

I think we now have a top championship manager and good championship squad who will work hard and be competitive, a good starting point for me, we are afterall a championship club and some fans need to get used to it, they may then enjoy watching.

I don't expect to win every game or even play well every game but I'm looking forward to watching Grayson's team develop over the season and who knows how we will end, safely would be my bet.

By season's end I do expect the same old Sunderland to have been replaced by the new on the way up Sunderland.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Same old Sunderland, maybe not.

Post  vinkel on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

That seems a pretty good assessment to me,onwards and upwards.

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Yes a very fair assessment.
Mid table will be fine as it would mean that our swallow dive has been halted.

My worry is the failure to land a forward with reasonable quality. Perhaps that may be addressed in January.
Meantime a lack of goals  could cause a few anxious times. We do no have a finisher.
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Good post Syd, I think you have summed up the situation very well. Onwards and upwards Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:08 pm

silvers wrote:Yes a very fair assessment.

My worry is the failure to land a forward with reasonable quality. Perhaps that may be addressed in January.
Meantime a lack of goals  could cause a few anxious times. We do no have a finisher.
I have high hopes for Maja

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Grayson doesn't seem worried:

Grayson added: “Everybody gets carried away that everyone wants a centre forward, the finished article.“It is not feasible sometimes. Why would a football club let a talented centre forward out on loan or permanently to maybe a rival or to a club that you see as competition, ultimately they won’t get a replacement in.“It wasn’t as if we weren’t talking to clubs. I didn’t feel like it was a necessity. Everybody else was talking like it was. We have players in the squad who can play adaptable positions. “Watmore will come back, we have Vaughan and Grabban and could play with one up front or play others as No.10.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have high hopes that goals will come from plenty of players this year.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Kipper wrote:

Grayson doesn't seem worried:

Grayson added: “Everybody gets carried away that everyone wants a centre forward, the finished article.“It is not feasible sometimes. Why would a football club let a talented centre forward out on loan or permanently to maybe a rival or to a club that you see as competition, ultimately they won’t get a replacement in.“It wasn’t as if we weren’t talking to clubs. I didn’t feel like it was a necessity. Everybody else was talking like it was. We have players in the squad who can play adaptable positions. “Watmore will come back, we have Vaughan and Grabban and could play with one up front or play others as No.10.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have high hopes that goals will come from plenty of players this year.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum