SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Corbyn in Brussels.
Today at 10:56 am by cyprussyd

» I bet they didn't envisage this start
Today at 10:45 am by Hieronymus

» Tina anybody?
Today at 10:42 am by Hieronymus

» Aberfan 21-10-66
Today at 10:39 am by Hieronymus

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Today at 10:31 am by cyprussyd

» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 10:27 am by Hieronymus

» Predictions Week 10
Today at 7:50 am by oldblackcat

» Mr H wont be happy
Yesterday at 10:13 pm by cyprussyd

» Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong
Yesterday at 6:37 pm by cyprussyd

» I am no scholar
Yesterday at 4:14 pm by Hieronymus

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 2 Bots

cyprussyd

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Sorry to bore but..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sorry to bore but..

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-09-07, 10:00 am

I know I can get on peoples nerves going on and on about the Coxhoe branch and why football is only one reason why I keep on going back to games.

You will recall a year ago when we lost a leading light of the branch, Graham Butch Williams. Well to remember the first anniversary of Butches sad death a member of the branch, Bernie Walsh was asked to write a tribute for The Northern Echo, it is so good I thought I would share it.

FOOTBALL FAN
So often we hear of the massive amounts of money generated in football. Players attracting large transfer fees and wages and many fail to live up to their expectations. So often there is the failure to connect. We rarely hear recognition of the football supporter who commits fully to their football club.

As a Sunderland supporter I see so many fans who hope and aspire to success. They are the bedrock through thick and thin. When times are good they treasure the moment, but whatever the result or the fortunes of the club the avid supporter is there. Sadly, in the modern game there isn't that true connection between the players and the fans.
Graham 'Butch' Williams was the ideal supporter. Loyal, dependent and consistent were qualities that were often missing from the team, but Graham was there for every match. On the bus from his own village of Kelloe through Coxhoe and on to Sunderland, his club and culture, his football family. Graham was frustrated like the rest of us. His mood reflected the success and the disappointment, just like every Sunderland fan. He lived and breathed the team. Sunderland fans understand that hunger and passion. But in that mood was an honest and compassionate man full of humanity.
Graham died a year ago. It was a life brought to a close too quickly, but a legacy lives on in the hearts and minds of supporters in Coxhoe and Kelloe and beyond. Graham touched the minds and hearts of so many and will never be forgotten. Footballers might generate a lot of income and wealth, but Graham achieved a lot more in his support. You cannot calculate the measure and strength of what he felt for Sunderland, his football club in financial terms. It was absolute. That is why so many people remember him and will continue to celebrate his memory. Graham was a giant and to his family and friends someone who loved and cared.
The greatest individuals are those that do the simple and most fundamental things. Making sure that you were alright and had a fixture card. Graham wanted to know that people within his football family were alright. Such and endearing quality from a man with a deep soul who genuinely cared who will never be forgotten.
Written by
Bernie Walsh

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sorry to bore but..

Post  Vincemac on 2017-09-07, 10:35 am

cyprussyd wrote:I know I can get on peoples nerves going on and on about the Coxhoe branch and why football is only one reason why I keep on going back to games.

You will recall a year ago when we lost a leading light of the branch, Graham Butch Williams. Well to remember the first anniversary of Butches sad death a member of the branch, Bernie Walsh was asked to write a tribute for The Northern Echo, it is so good I thought I would share it.

FOOTBALL FAN
So often we hear of the massive amounts of money generated in football. Players attracting large transfer fees and wages and many fail to live up to their expectations. So often there is the failure to connect. We rarely hear recognition of the football supporter who commits fully to their football club.

As a Sunderland supporter I see so many fans who hope and aspire to success. They are the bedrock through thick and thin. When times are good they treasure the moment, but whatever the result or the fortunes of the club the avid supporter is there. Sadly, in the modern game there isn't that true connection between the players and the fans.
Graham 'Butch' Williams was the ideal supporter. Loyal, dependent and consistent were qualities that were often missing from the team, but Graham was there for every match. On the bus from his own village of Kelloe through Coxhoe and on to Sunderland, his club and culture, his football family. Graham was frustrated like the rest of us. His mood reflected the success and the disappointment, just like every Sunderland fan. He lived and breathed the team. Sunderland fans understand that hunger and passion. But in that mood was an honest and compassionate man full of humanity.
Graham died a year ago. It was a life brought to a close too quickly, but a legacy lives on in the hearts and minds of supporters in Coxhoe and Kelloe and beyond. Graham touched the minds and hearts of so many and will never be forgotten. Footballers might generate a lot of income and wealth, but Graham achieved a lot more in his support. You cannot calculate the measure and strength of what he felt for Sunderland, his football club in financial terms. It was absolute. That is why so many people remember him and will continue to celebrate his memory. Graham was a giant and to his family and friends someone who loved and cared.
The greatest individuals are those that do the simple and most fundamental things. Making sure that you were alright and had a fixture card. Graham wanted to know that people within his football family were alright. Such and endearing quality from a man with a deep soul who genuinely cared who will never be forgotten.
Written by
Bernie Walsh
Nice  like
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Sorry to bore but..

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-09-07, 11:54 am

A lovely tribute Smile
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver