SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 3:31 pm by Hieronymus

» Keith Chegwin dies
Today at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Yesterday at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Yesterday at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Yesterday at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
2017-12-14, 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
2017-12-14, 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
2017-12-14, 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Final week, final days

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Final week, final days

Post  vinkel on 2017-08-28, 8:06 am

We find ourselves down to will we won't we time again. Still obviously short on talented numbers. Is there any money in reserve or are we relying on shipping out to allow getting in.
After the Leeds and Barnsley games it's clear the present squad isn't good enough for a promotion push, is there any ambition in our owner or is he just intent on clawing back his loans. 

National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Re: Final week, final days

Post  Silvers on 2017-08-28, 8:29 am

We'll soon know !

Very Happy
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-08-28, 8:49 am

It's not looking good atm...even Syd using his best rose tinted specs would struggle to be upbeat atm.

Let's hope some good players do come in....
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-08-28, 9:07 am

It's not looking good atm...even Syd using his best rose tinted specs would struggle to be upbeat atm.

Let's hope some good players do come in....
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-08-28, 9:07 am

Yes, going to be tight.... if at all.
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-08-28, 10:05 am

Our problem was starting well.

None of us expected anything and indeed most of us were hoping for a season without fear of relegation straight thru to league 1. Getting them early points and peoples expectations changed. 

I dont think we will see Graysons SAFC start producing decent good football until around Xmas time. No I dont think were strong enough for promotion but the play offs/fringe etc is imo easily obtainable.
Get rid of the players who dont want to be here and let the manager bring a few more players in who want to be here and things will soon change for the better imo.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-28, 10:13 am

Well my first point is a dose of realism, something many say I dont have, who is trying for a promotion push?

Of course the manager has to say we are trying to get back up and I'm sure that's the ambition but realistically are we anywhere near ready for the premier league?

Vinkle points out how the Barnsley and Leeds games show how bad we are but I also heard how the Derby and Norwich games showed how promising the team is. Of course the rose tinted specs is always an easy hit but I don't own any.

What I do own is a very positive outlook on life, I see all the down sides but also the up sides, despite the rumours I am very much a realist.

In my realistic world I know that no matter how long we shout about investment we will see very little and I expect any incomings to be loans or the result of sales. That said if we say sold NDong for 20mil the vast bulk of that would go to repay debt, Grayson will be very lucky to see 1 mil of it.

Rightly or wrongly the top priority for the club/Short is to reduce debt and the wage bill, IMO. In Grayson he has a manager who has made his career in turning sows ears into silk purses and I have no doubt he will succeed in doing that here.

Its all conjecture and mine is that Short learnt a lot in his talks with the German consortium and he is putting what he learnt into practice.
First lesson was that investors don't like debt the size ours is and by reducing it gets some of his cash back, its his loans and makes us more saleable.

End the season as a top half championship club with a reduced wage bill and debts, a club ready to push for the premier league and we may well be a more saleable club.

Strangely I am happy with that, I look at what is being spent in the premier league and shiver at6 the thought of us trying to compete. That would be another season of defeat after defeat, at lest this season we have the chance of some wins and yes you are all right who are shouting not if we play like we did on Saturday.

Grayson I believe is a hard man who wants success, a man who will not allow many Barnsley performances. I think Khazri and Kone will be gone this week, both very good players but players who want out. N'Dong may also go. Those three will reduce debt and wage bill allowing replacements and McCormack to join us.

The road ahead will have many downs but also I believe many ups, cant remember the ups in the prem, just the downs.

We I believe will end top half and I will have suffered the downs and enjoyed the up's, we will then see what next summer brings.

I will no doubt be now told how everyone is entitled to an opinion, true, and this is just mine, nothing more, nothing less.

Welcome to my happy place.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-08-28, 10:19 am

cyprussyd wrote:Well my first point is a dose of realism, something many say I dont have, who is trying for a promotion push?

Of course the manager has to say we are trying to get back up and I'm sure that's the ambition but realistically are we anywhere near ready for the premier league?

Vinkle points out how the Barnsley and Leeds games show how bad we are but I also heard how the Derby and Norwich games showed how promising the team is. Of course the rose tinted specs is always an easy hit but I don't own any.

What I do own is a very positive outlook on life, I see all the down sides but also the up sides, despite the rumours I am very much a realist.

In my realistic world I know that no matter how long we shout about investment we will see very little and I expect any incomings to be loans or the result of sales. That said if we say sold NDong for 20mil the vast bulk of that would go to repay debt, Grayson will be very lucky to see 1 mil of it.

Rightly or wrongly the top priority for the club/Short is to reduce debt and the wage bill, IMO. In Grayson he has a manager who has made his career in turning sows ears into silk purses and I have no doubt he will succeed in doing that here.

Its all conjecture and mine is that Short learnt a lot in his talks with the German consortium and he is putting what he learnt into practice.
First lesson was that investors don't like debt the size ours is and by reducing it gets some of his cash back, its his loans and makes us more saleable.

End the season as a top half championship club with a reduced wage bill and debts, a club ready to push for the premier league and we may well be a more saleable club.

Strangely I am happy with that, I look at what is being spent in the premier league and shiver at6 the thought of us trying to compete. That would be another season of defeat after defeat, at lest this season we have the chance of some wins and yes you are all right who are shouting not if we play like we did on Saturday.

Grayson I believe is a hard man who wants success, a man who will not allow many Barnsley performances. I think Khazri and Kone will be gone this week, both very good players but players who want out. N'Dong may also go. Those three will reduce debt and wage bill allowing replacements and McCormack to join us.

The road ahead will have many downs but also I believe many ups, cant remember the ups in the prem, just the downs.

We I believe will end top half and I will have suffered the downs and enjoyed the up's, we will then see what next summer brings.

I will no doubt be now told how everyone is entitled to an opinion, true, and this is just mine, nothing more, nothing less.

Syd, I get into trouble on the not606 Norwich board for expressing views similar to yours, I really don't understand where some people are coming from. If you listen to them, we'd have a new manager after every defeat.  Rolling Eyes

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-28, 10:32 am

canary-dave wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Well my first point is a dose of realism, something many say I dont have, who is trying for a promotion push?

Syd, I get into trouble on the not606 Norwich board for expressing views similar to yours, I really don't understand where some people are coming from. If you listen to them, we'd have a new manager after every defeat.  Rolling Eyes
If success, exciting football and winning all the time was my motivation I would have given up on our lot years ago.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-08-28, 10:34 am

I agree with Syd and Gil and think our results show what we are an average team in a competitive league. I donlt expect promotion but not expecting a battle for survival this year either.

Yes we have a few players who don't want to be here and I trust Grayson to deal with that in the next few days, or convince them to give their all to SAFC at least until January.

But I also have hope, as we have Watmore and McNair to come back, who will be like new signings and will certainly improve the team at this level. As long as we don't expect too much when they first come back as full fitness takes quite a while after cruciate injuries. But I think I read Watmore was playing in our Checkatrade Trophy tie vs Scunthorpe on Tuesday night, so may be a chance for Grayson to have a look at him?

Anyway we need at least a striker and another centre half in the next three days and I am quite (but not totally) hopeful we will get them Smile
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-28, 10:46 am

After turning Jordan Henderson and Jordan Pickford into England internationals, could Sunderland resurrect the career of striker Jordan Rhodes?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After turning Jordan Henderson and Jordan Pickford into England internationals, could Sunderland resurrect the career of striker Jordan Rhodes?
ROKERREPORT.SBNATION.COM

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-08-28, 10:48 am

cyprussyd wrote:After turning Jordan Henderson and Jordan Pickford into England internationals, could Sunderland resurrect the career of striker Jordan Rhodes?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ROKERREPORT.SBNATION.COM

Perhaps your club song should be "One more river!"  Laughing Laughing

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-08-28, 10:58 am

Yes Jordan Rhodes would do for me. Lost his way and maybe Grayson is the man to restore his confidence.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-08-28, 10:56 pm

Quiet again... innit..
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-08-29, 4:08 am

silvers wrote:Quiet again... innit..

PARDON??????   Laughing

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-08-29, 7:43 am

No longer shopping at Aldi and Lidl, we are now into charity shops.

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-08-29, 7:48 am

vinkel wrote:
No longer shopping at Aldi and Lidl, we are now into charity shops.
Death Row at the SPCA more like  No

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Spuggy on 2017-08-29, 8:32 am

Syd says : " ....  Grayson I believe is a hard man who wants success, a man who will not allow many Barnsley performances. I think Khazri and Kone will be gone this week, both very good players but players who want out. N'Dong may also go. Those three will reduce debt and wage bill allowing replacements and McCormack to join us. ..... "

Khazri comes clean, but there is no hint he will try harder for us until he goes. 

see :  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] confirms his desire to leave Sunderland 

By
 -
 August 26, 2017

"  It now looks very likely that Whabi Khazri will end up leaving Sunderland this summer after the player himself indicated that he wishes to leave.

Black Cats boss Simon Grayson has revealed that all of his players are available for transfer this summer following the club’s relegation from the Premier League, though sales would only take place if the deals suit the club.

Though Khazri is arguably one of the more talented players in the squad, his attitude has been very questionable at times. Letting him depart could be a good move as his presence could impact squad morale.The 26-year-old Khazri has featured twice this season for the Black Cats, with both appearances coming in the Carabao Cup.He also appeared to bid farewell during the club’s recent 2-1 victory over Carlisle. Khazri has now confirmed that he is hoping to leave the club [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], “In my head, I want to leave. I am open to listening to offers and projects and above all I am looking for a project that allows me to kick-start and enjoy life on the pitch.

“My priority is to stay in the Premier League. When you have tasted the Premier League, you don’t want to leave it. I am open to all leagues and clubs.” end quote.
So PSG, Chelsea, etc., can form an orderly queue here please to release many £millions to go back to the USA.
Spuggy
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-29, 9:08 am

Well with deadline day quickly approaching it's looking like the busiest ever.

I have absolutely no doubt that work will be going on at Sunderland to get players in and out so it could be an exiting last day for we mackems. I will be spending the day by the pool and being 2 hours ahead it's unlikely I will be there at the death.

In the end what will be will be and come Friday morning we will all know the squad we will be working with and can then look forward to seeing Grayson's team take shape and enjoy the highs and suffer the lows.

I still can see a minimum of two in and probably two out.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-29, 9:47 am

Defender linked with Sunderland switch

Motherwell defender Ben Heneghan has been linked with a move to Wearside, according to fresh reports in Scotland.

He is reported to have turned down the offer of a new deal, increasing his chances of a Fir Park exit this summer.

Rangers and QPR have also been linked with the 23-year-old who used to play for Chester before moving to Scotland in the summer of 2016.

£7million price tag for Jordan Rhodes?

It emerged yesterday that Sunderland had inquired about the availability of Sheffield Wednesday striker Jordan Rhodes ahead of the deadline.

And there are fresh reports the Owls would accept £7million for him, with Wolves also said to be keen on the former Middlesbrough man.

It looks like Sunderland would have to sell players first though before they were to reach that fee - unless a loan deal could be struck.

Sunderland continue to cast their net far and wide ahead of Thursday’s transfer deadline - but they are set to be priced out of a move for Jordan Hugill.

Sheffield Wednesday frontman Jordan Rhodes is the latest name in the frame with the Black Cats having made an inquiry about his availability, while Simon Grayson remains hopeful a loan deal for Aston Villa striker Ross McCormack can be struck.

Preston North End striker Hugill, meanwhile, has been on Grayson’s radar all summer.

But the striker’s asking price has steadily risen this summer and Preston are under no pressure to sell, with Sunderland focusing efforts on other targets with Grayson’s list of potential targets updated daily.

Reading, Birmingham City and Wolves had also been keen on Hugill - reportedly the subject of a rebuffed £8million bid from Reading - but Preston boss Alex Neil has made it clear they don’t need to sell.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-08-29, 11:27 am

Tenterhooks atm....Short imho is cutting his nose to spite his face.

Nowt we can do about. It's like a golf buddy of mine, he is from Yorkshire he has principles, being a tightwad is one of his problems, he haggles in charity shops. He has a very nice lady friend who he goes on golf holidays with....he cannot understand why she will not fully committ. She prefers to have her own place. Perhaps Short is like my mate too stubborn with his "principles to see what he needs to do to win the woman"s heart
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Spuggy on 2017-08-29, 11:40 am

FINGERS CROSSED.

see : http://sportwitness.co.uk/forward-sunderland-transfer-talks-move-will-welcomed-black-cats-fans/ 

Forward in Sunderland transfer talks, move will be welcomed by Black Cats’ fans             
By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -

29th August 2017

Turkish club Alanyaspor are showing an interest in Sunderland’s Wahbi Khazri, according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

The Turkish website claim Alanyaspor have started talks to sign the player, but it’s not been confirmed if this is with his agent or directly with the Championship side
The 26 year old is looking for a way out of Sunderland after relegation last season, and Alanyaspor could offer him an escape route. Khazri has been unable to hold down a place in Simon Grayson’s side this season, and leaving Sunderland before the deadline could suit both parties.

[size=11][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from the Sunderland fans last weekend for his performance against Barnsley, and it seems his time at the club is coming to an end. The player has in recent months spoken about his desire to leave, and his exit is likely to be welcomed by fans.
Khazri signed for Sunderland from Bordeaux during the 2015/16 season, and is under contract with the club until June 2020.
[/size]

Last edited by Spuggy on 2017-08-29, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted photo)
Spuggy
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Spuggy on 2017-08-29, 11:54 am

The Chronic live reports on Khazri's declaration of love for the club.

He was decisive, but now he's not so sure.
Spuggy
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on 2017-08-29, 12:57 pm

vinkel wrote:We find ourselves down to will we won't we time again. Still obviously short on talented numbers. Is there any money in reserve or are we relying on shipping out to allow getting in.
After the Leeds and Barnsley games it's clear the present squad isn't good enough for a promotion push, is there any ambition in our owner or is he just intent on clawing back his loans. 
It's not going to happen,because for me we need at least 5/6 new players not one or two.
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Spuggy on 2017-08-29, 2:01 pm

RODWELL to PORTUGAL

Report: West Ham's William Carvalho deal could end Jack Rodwell's Sunderland nightmare

Who would have thought that a potential £35 million deal, one of the most eye-catching moves in Europe this summer, could have ramifications for Jack Rodwell?Yet, one of the most bizarre transfer rumours of the entire window has raised its head with just two days to go until Thursday’s deadline, with[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now, it’s far from certain that Sporting will even need a replacement. A potential move to West Ham has been mooted for some time, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yet, if Carvalho does indeed swap Lisbon for London before the end of the month, it appears there is a real possibility that Rodwell could be playing Champions League football this season after failing to force his way into Simon Grayson’s plans in the English second tier.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to Champions League

How much Sunderland would demand for the big-money flop, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] remains to be seen.

Rodwell was once one of English football’s brightest talents, shining at Everton and earning a move to City in the summer of 2012. However, after failing to make the grade at The Etihad, Rodwell’s career has well and truly gone off the rails.

In fact, Sunderland’s 4-0 trouncing of Crystal Palace in February represented the first time The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] had won a game that Rodwell had started for them – ending a dismal run of 39 league fixtures stretching back three years.

Therefore, Rodwell can consider himself fortunate to be linked with an eye-catching move to Portugal.
Spuggy
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum