SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Academy of Plight?
Today at 8:28 am by cyprussyd

» Is it time for Tom Beadling to be given his chance?
Today at 8:22 am by cyprussyd

» Predictions Week 10
Yesterday at 8:53 pm by Mackemneil

» Results of week 8 and fixtures for week 9
Yesterday at 8:51 pm by Mackemneil

» Special day Tuesday!
Yesterday at 8:43 pm by Mackemneil

» Classic Clough
Yesterday at 6:21 pm by canary-dave

» Craig Shakespeare: Leicester City sack manager four months after appointment
Yesterday at 4:54 pm by cyprussyd

» Is it payback time?
Yesterday at 2:43 pm by sunderpitt

» Quiz 68
Yesterday at 11:14 am by MrRAWhite

» Death of Working Men's Clubs
Yesterday at 9:07 am by Sid MCFC

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

Vincemac, vinkel

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Does 442 work in this league?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does 442 work in this league?

Post  Mackemneil on 2017-08-27, 10:30 am

I am not sure that the traditional 442 works in modern football, here is an extract from a RokerReport that pretty much echoes my thoughts on the subject.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]So far this season Sunderland gave employed a 4-4-2 in their league games, and early doors the system looked really impressive. Cattermole and Ndong looked more than capable of holding down the centre of midfield whilst Honeyman and McGeady provided creativity from out wide. Up front, Vaughan and Grabban looked dangerous and caused defences a lot of problems. 

The issue is, however, that a 4-4-2 is quite simple to play against - especially if your creativity comes from out wide. 
Both Leeds and Barnsley played with a three man central midfield, and that extra presence in place of a striker enabled them to nullify the threats of McGeady and Honeyman by simply doubling up on Sunderland’s widemen. Factor into the equation that our full-backs really don’t offer enough going forward in order to support the wide midfielders, and straight away we’ve lost our most potent attacking force. 
To add insult to injury, both Cattermole and Ndong aren’t exactly blessed with flair, vision or creativity, and they struggle to add another dimension to the Sunderland attack. 
Ideally if your 4-4-2 isn’t functioning you sacrifice a striker and add an offensive midfielder who offers a creative outlet in the middle of the park whilst also being able to track back and add another body in the middle of the pitch. Gibson isn’t dynamic enough, Khazri doesn’t seem up for the season ahead, and Gooch is still raw. We just don’t have anybody to fill the role. We could even accommodate them in a central two if we really had to, but again we just don’t have a creative central midfielder. 
We are also desperate for a speedy, wily striker who will have the pace and movements to stretch defence; Maja looked good before his injury, but Asoro just doesn’t look experienced enough. It’s clear to see that Grayson simply doesn’t have enough options to really alter his tactical approach. Either plan A works, or it doesn’t and we just graft in the hope that it’s enough. Unfortunately, that just won’t cut the mustard in the Championship. 
Ellis Short and Martin Bain simply have to free up funds this week if they want a fighting chance at success this season. Simon Grayson has noted we’re “vulnerable” to losing players this week, and if we aren’t active in strengthening this side then we could face an uphill struggle as side after side comes prepared to combat our style of play. 
We need quality reinforcements, and we’re walking a tightrope as to whether we’ll get them. 
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Does 442 work in this league?

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-08-27, 11:05 am

I know what you mean mackemneil. First few games we played well but teams have done their homework and last two matches our opponents have kept Honeyman and McGeady quiet and there has been nothing for Vaughan and Grabban to get hold of. So this may be right on the evidence of the games so far. Now we have to see if Grayson acknowledges it and changes things around?

Trouble is we have been cryng out for a decent creative midfielder since the days of Don Hutchison. And given these straitened times who might be affordable, and willing to come to us?

Or do we hope Watmore can do the wide role and Honeyman move inside? Or Watmore plays as a number 10? Or up front and Grabban plays that role? Ooh my brain hurts! Laughing
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-08-27, 11:10 am

It also begs the question - Do Sort and Bain WANT success this season?

Or will they be content with survival ? Will survival be a success?  Perhaps.

Is Short's tactic (once again) the least possible outlay to ensure survival ?

I feel that is the way it is.    Marking time until a new owner is found.

The club is ripe for the picking by some venture capital outfit.

Oh, just a minute.......
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  paddocklad on 2017-08-27, 11:13 am

1. No that will cost money
2. Yes as it's the cheapest option
3.almost certainly
4. I wish I had the time and contacts to be able to take a good in deapth look at the safc finances because it does not smell right
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum