SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» MAJA GOAL
Today at 4:08 am by canary-dave

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Today at 2:38 am by oxfordshire

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 9:43 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

» Keith Chegwin dies
Yesterday at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
2017-12-15, 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
2017-12-15, 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
2017-12-15, 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 1 Bot

Billy D

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The Short Years

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Short Years

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-25, 10:40 am

Now I know that when you type the word Short it releases all sorts of emotions in the reader, anger, despair, disappointment, rage, not a lot of positive words, but do we give Short an unfair press?

I well remember Quinn standing in front of the stadium, scarf held high and him announcing his Drummerville take over and my first sighting of Charlie Chalk on match day.
I forget the bad bit's, there are always bad bit's and all I remember is happiness and excitement and of course the now infamous magic carpet. Ir the credit crunch had never happened then who know what today's Sunderland would have looked like, but it did happen.

The consortium of Irish businessmen suddenly need to cash in and concentrate on their business and Quinn I feel did an excellent sales job and in to town rode the big American with his billions.

The writing was on the wall very early on, Short and Kean clashed and there was only ever going to be one winner, Kean out, Bruce in, and another unforgettable line to join Quinn's magic carpet, "We are now shopping at Harrods".

I don't think even Shorts wife and family could say that so far Shorts reign has been anything but a disaster but the reason for that disaster still divides opinion.

• He is a greedy mercenary who just takes,takes,takes and does not give a toss for SAFC.
  • He is a successful businessman who has been very badly advised.

The truth is probably somewhere between the two views and there is no doubt whatsoever that his appointments have in the main been catastrophic and his decision making amateurish.

There have been good times, for a very short period under Bruce we had a team, Di Canio's knee slide, a cup final and the Gus Bus and of course all those derby wins over our friends from the north. And the final excitement came at the end of each season when we would pull off the great escape. But those good times have been greatly overshadowed by the disappointments and disasters.

Two managerial appointments in particular became massive let downs, O'Neil and Moyes.
Love them or hate them there is no doubt that both came with massive reputations and we somehow managed to destroy both. Sadly both came after what I consider the destructive appointment of De Fanti who managed to sign a team of under achievers on great contracts and massive wages, that one summer of madness is, IMO, the main reason we are in the financial mess we find ourselves in today.

We have a big debt and Short owns most of it so could ease the pressure by stopping the interest or even writing some if not all off. We mere fans look and think come on Shortie, you are worth a fortune so do it. But there is a reason he is worth a fortune and writing debts off is not it.

OK then, keep the debt, use large chunks of cash raised on player sales to reduce the debt but, give some to Grayson and dig into your large pockets before we sell and help him out, we can only speculate on why he wont do that.

Once bitten twice shy is one reason but protecting your asset and improving it is the counter argument.

My hope is that we have hit rock bottom, we are where we are and under Grayson the fight back has started.
My hope is that Grayson makes Sunderland a far more attractive option for potential new owners.
My hope is that the final chapter in the Short years will, bring success, smiles and some excitement.

Early signs are positive with Grayson building a squad of players who at the very least are prepared to put a shift in. The next week will give us a very big clue to the future, players sold and importantly bought will set the standard for this season.

Many don't like Bain but I do, he looks like a proper CeO to me who can do the hard parts of the job but can also drive us forward.
I think Grayson has won us all over, a no nonsense manager who gets us, the fans.

Hopefully these two will take the lead and Short will sit back and follow and those two options,

He is a greedy mercenary who just takes,takes,takes and does not give a toss for SAFC.
He is a successful businessman who has been very badly advised.

I think he is both but far more the second than the first.

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2017-08-25, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Short Years

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-08-25, 10:52 am

Blimey Syd....a well written piece...should be in RR

As for Short, he backed managers, I presume fell out with Disco Pants cos the promise of fame and glory did not emerge and he is now showing his true mean banker traits...which in football terms is 'cutting his nose to spite his face'. Which is a pity as in Grayson, as a manager, he has struck lucky and Bain has his head screwed on. But as we all know the squad is lacking numbers and quality but Short appears to have made some bad strategy decisions and will not be swayed
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-25, 11:01 am

sunderpitt wrote:Blimey Syd....a well written piece...should be in RR

As for Short, he backed managers, I presume fell out with Disco Pants cos the promise of fame and glory did not emerge and he is now showing his true mean banker traits...which in football terms is 'cutting his nose to spite his face'. Which is a pity as in Grayson, as a manager, he has struck lucky and Bain has his head screwed on. But as we all know the squad is lacking numbers and quality but Short appears to have made some bad strategy decisions and will not be swayed
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-08-25, 11:33 am

Great post Syd.

You know my leanings are more to Short being the mercenary. I just don't believe a successful businessman allows himself to be so badly advised time after time. There had to be a plan. And if anyone needs convincing just think back. Why did Quinn leave SAFC not long after Short got his feet under the table? Why does he rarely come back? Was it because he was horrified and embarassed when he found out he had naively introduced said mercenary to the club? Quinn thought he was saving us, but when he saw what was happening he realised he had been taken for a mug. So him and Short fell out.

Yes, Short had a plan and it worked for years. Net spend on players relatively small vs income generated from being in the Premier League, and large interest payments on loans, to keep Mr and Mrs Short in the manner in which they have become accustomed. Mad

As for Bain. if he is such a great CEO, what happened to all the 'support' and talk about 'building' and 'winning' and aiming to 'strenghten the team' that was promised to Moyes last season? Was it all hot air? Here is an article from SAFC.com to remind us:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Martin Bain and David Moyes are forging a partnership which they believe will shape the long-term future of Sunderland AFC.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], CEO Bain spoke about Sunderland’s results on and off the pitch, while outlining his vision for stability over the coming years.

From finances to free-kicks, Bain revealed how the club will build to provide Moyes with the best possible support for long-term success as the club continues to cement its place in the Premier League.

“When you come to a new football club you need to look, listen and learn, walk the boards and get to know the people,” said the club’s CEO. “Experience and character [are what stood out to me about David Moyes] – he is one of the top four most experienced managers in Premier League history – and fundamentally that experience, coupled with David’s longer term approach to life, are what stood out.

“I think he’s a builder and I think he’s a guy who absolutely understands the need to win first and foremost, but in parallel understands that the job he’s come here to do, and I’ve come here to do, is to build and almost rebuild.”

He continued: “I think it’s apparent to everyone that we have a journey to embark upon here, so when I first met David we obviously had to discuss a little bit about the past, but together, working as a partnership, it’s very much about how we can’t change the past but we can certainly change the future.

“We now have to look forward and from both our perspectives its very much about rebuilding and getting the basics right, and, as the CEO of the football club, I think that’s the biggest the message I want to get across to people that work here and indeed to our fans.

“We want to get back to basics and we have a football club here that has to be very synonymous with its north-east identity, and I think the fans want that because – this isn’t to be disparaging to anything that’s gone before – I think it’s probably lost its identity, so therefore let’s do the basics correctly, build and take a long-term approach.

“Winning [is my main focus for the next few months]. I have to do everything in my power to help strengthen the squad, and what I mean by that is that my daily task, with David, is to strengthen the team.

“He’s the football manager and he’s out there on the pitch every day – he also has recruitment and everything else to deal with – but I need to ensure that our overall objective is to give him every possible opportunity to succeed.”

See what he was saying? All the buzz words: "vision', (god help us) "stability", "journey", "working as a partnershp", "back to basics", "identity" but all I read there was spin, what normal people call lying to your face  Evil or Very Mad

Does anyone here really think Moyes got all the 'support' he was promised? When Moyes was taking all the flak for poor performances where were the articles and interviews with Bain and Short defending him, explaining why there was no money for team strengthening? No, despite Bains protestation about engaging with supporters, there was nothing, the club's leadership went missing and just hung Moyes out to dry. So no, sorry but I don't trust Bain and don't think he is good for our club.

But it is all about opinions and we can only hope in the fullness of time we will find out the truth.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-25, 11:50 am

Very good reply, "H".

I think the writing was on the wall for Quinn when he was moved to some strange international job but we can only speculate on what happened. I don't think there is any doubt that he and Short had very different agendas and the end of the Bruce years played a big part.

I remember being at the stadium reading about Bruce and Gyan meeting on the Friday evening and shaking hands, Gyan was committed and staying. Then suddenly Barnes announced on radio Newcastle that he was gone. I think the message was that Bruce was being undermined with the first sign of cashing in on a player and this was not acceptable to Quinn. But just like with Kean if there is to be a battle between the owner and anyone there can only ever be one winner.

I have a slightly different view on Moyes, he came in late and was  backed but backed in a last minute panic, N'Dong.
By the time of the next window in January Moyes had already sealed his fate with his negativity and results.

All manger seem to have been liked to, all said they had met the owner and were given assurances, none materialised. Under previous CeO's Short I feel was simply allowed to rule, I honestly think that Baines is made of sterner stuff and will be a very good CeO for us.

Like you rightly point out H it's all about opinions, we fans rarely have facts to judge on, we are mere plebs who support the team so are not worthy of facts and truth.

And whenever you have a group of football fans together opinions will always vary quite a lot.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-08-25, 1:17 pm

Some top quality posts here. I just wish the Echo would ask some of the same questions and particularly address this

"OK then, keep the debt, use large chunks of cash raised on player sales to reduce the debt but, give some to Grayson and dig into your large pockets before we sell and help him out, we can only speculate on why he wont do that."

An interview with Bain explaining the finances and approach would be most welcome.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum