SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 3:31 pm by Hieronymus

» Keith Chegwin dies
Today at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Yesterday at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Yesterday at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Yesterday at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
2017-12-14, 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
2017-12-14, 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
2017-12-14, 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests

Hieronymus, Mackemneil

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Football Pools

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Football Pools

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-11, 9:29 am

Does anyone still do them?

All the rage when I was young, Vernons and Littlewoods the two I remember and every street and workplace had a collector, the pools man.

Saturday evening or Sunday morning checking to see if you had become rich overnight.

The days before Sky, Lotto and on line betting, it was the pools that you relied on for instant wealth.

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 43246
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Silvers on 2017-08-11, 9:58 am

Have done an 8 from 10 for years.
Just kept it going.
Got one win last year £120

I rarely do the lottery..

Very Happy
avatar
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Posts : 15006
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : NE16

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Vincemac on 2017-08-11, 10:05 am

Did them direct debit from 1990 until last may 
Won £18 and £27 in all those years
avatar
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 6723
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 65

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-08-11, 10:08 am

Yes, exactly as you say Syd, everyone's mum and dad did the pools and listened for the results on Saturday evening hoping for the magic 8 score draws. Needless to say we never won Sad I have never done the pools but do the lottery occasionally when there is a big rollover. Just to keep the dream alive you know! Very Happy

This is an interesting article about the Pools I just found. First for the amount it sold for when it was worth millions more in its heyday and secondly for the picture of the women (it says workers but all women!) working at Littlewoods in 1947. It looks like any call centre today without the technology!



Football Pools owner sells out for nearly £100m
Sportech sells venerable football lottery game for £97.3m to management team
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
          [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
British comedian Bruce Forsyth (right) presents a cheque for £152,319 in 1961 to perhaps its most famous winners – Yorkshire miner Keith Howard Nicholson and his wife, Vivian, famed for her vow to ‘spend, spend, spend’ the jackpot. Photograph: Ron Case/Getty Images



[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tuesday 13 September 2016 18.09 BST   First published on Tuesday 13 September 2016 09.08 BST 

The Football Pools, once a staple of the British Saturday teatime as families crowded around TVs and radios with fingers crossed for eight score draws, is to change hands in a near £100m deal.
The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] came close to killing off the pools, but 300,000 people still spend an average of just over £3 a week in the hope of scooping the maximum prize of £3m.
The three big pools operators, Littlewoods, Vernons and Zetters merged between 2000 and 2007. The owners, Sportech, after many years of dwindling profits, have now agreed to sell to a new company run by the existing management for £97.3m.
The buyers are pinning their hopes on an online revival, with players still able to “perm eight from ten” football matches – but rather than resting on the result from Bury v Workington, online punters are offered Barcelona v Celtic or Paris St Germain v Arsenal. Spot the Ball, the game on the reverse of the paper coupons, can also be played online.
At its peak in the 1970s and 1980s the pools had 15 million regular punters, helped by an army of door-to-door coupon collectors.
When Leeds factory worker Viv Nicholson and husband Keith promised to “spend, spend, spend” after bagging £152,319 in a 1961 pools win – equal to around £3m today – they captured the spirit of the new consumer age, and prompted atabloid frenzy.
But Keith Nicholson died in 1965 and by the end of the 60s the fortune was gone after Viv spent compulsively. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Football pools started in 1923 when Littlewoods sold them outside Manchester United’s Old Trafford ground. Its success drew criticism from politicians and religious leaders, with the then [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], calling it “a disease which spread downwards to the industrious poor from the idle rich”.
The game allowed players to place small stakes on football results with the chance of winning a big prize from the pooled money. The pools says it has paid out £3.2bn in prize money to more than 61 million people.
Players, often in workplace syndicates, filled in paper coupons that they submitted by post or through an agent. The aim of the main game was, and still is, to predict eight score draws, although the pools now has various add-on games.
After the harsh winter of 1963, when football matches were scrapped for three weeks running, the ‘Pools Panel’ was created to predict scores, and such was the intense interest they were broadcast live on BBC television.
Robert James, senior lecturer in history at Portsmouth University, said: “The pools was significant because it gave the working class a sense of identity and community and of aspiration to something better by winning something.
“Football was seen as the working class game and the pools helped give people a sense of community through leisure. They didn’t have to be at the game to debate about it. The pools also helped legitimise gambling because initially gambling was illegal and was done through the bookie’s runner and it was secretive and underhand.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
      [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    
Workers check football pools coupons at the Littlewood’s site in Liverpool in 1947. Photograph: Popperfoto/Getty Images/Popperfoto Creative 

Rival operations such as Vernons and Zetters sprang up and by the 1980s around one-in-four of the British population were doing the pools. In 1986, Littlewoods paid out the first £1m jackpot when £1,017,890 was shared by 11 nurses from Devizes in Wiltshire.
Sportech bought Littlewoods Gaming, which included the pools, in 2000 and in 2007 it acquired Vernons and Zetters. Combining the three pools was meant to strengthen the game against the National Lottery, which launched in 1994.
But the pools struggled against the might of the lottery. It still had 10 million players in 1994, but this fell to 700,000 by 2007 and has halved again since. Sportech said it stabilised earnings in the first half of this year and decided the time was right to sell and focus on its US gaming businesses.
Sportech said: “The board of Sportech believes that the proposed disposal represents an attractive opportunity to realise the value of The Football Pools following the implementation of its modernisation programme.”
A new company will float on the stock market after raising funds from investors. It will be run by Conleth Byrne, managing director of the Football Pools, and Carl Lynn, its finance director.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Posts : 8661
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-11, 10:18 am

Hieronymus wrote:Yes, exactly as you say Syd, everyone's mum and dad did the pools and listened for the results on Saturday evening hoping for the magic 8 score draws. Needless to say we never won Sad I have never done the pools but do the lottery occasionally when there is a big rollover. Just to keep the dream alive you know! Very Happy

This is an interesting article about the Pools I just found. First for the amount it sold for when it was worth millions more in its heyday and secondly for the picture of the women (it says workers but all women!) working at Littlewoods in 1947. It looks like any call centre today without the technology!



Football Pools owner sells out for nearly £100m
Sportech sells venerable football lottery game for £97.3m to management team
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
          [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
British comedian Bruce Forsyth (right) presents a cheque for £152,319 in 1961 to perhaps its most famous winners – Yorkshire miner Keith Howard Nicholson and his wife, Vivian, famed for her vow to ‘spend, spend, spend’ the jackpot. Photograph: Ron Case/Getty Images



[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tuesday 13 September 2016 18.09 BST   First published on Tuesday 13 September 2016 09.08 BST 

The Football Pools, once a staple of the British Saturday teatime as families crowded around TVs and radios with fingers crossed for eight score draws, is to change hands in a near £100m deal.
The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] came close to killing off the pools, but 300,000 people still spend an average of just over £3 a week in the hope of scooping the maximum prize of £3m.
The three big pools operators, Littlewoods, Vernons and Zetters merged between 2000 and 2007. The owners, Sportech, after many years of dwindling profits, have now agreed to sell to a new company run by the existing management for £97.3m.
The buyers are pinning their hopes on an online revival, with players still able to “perm eight from ten” football matches – but rather than resting on the result from Bury v Workington, online punters are offered Barcelona v Celtic or Paris St Germain v Arsenal. Spot the Ball, the game on the reverse of the paper coupons, can also be played online.
At its peak in the 1970s and 1980s the pools had 15 million regular punters, helped by an army of door-to-door coupon collectors.
When Leeds factory worker Viv Nicholson and husband Keith promised to “spend, spend, spend” after bagging £152,319 in a 1961 pools win – equal to around £3m today – they captured the spirit of the new consumer age, and prompted atabloid frenzy.
But Keith Nicholson died in 1965 and by the end of the 60s the fortune was gone after Viv spent compulsively. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Football pools started in 1923 when Littlewoods sold them outside Manchester United’s Old Trafford ground. Its success drew criticism from politicians and religious leaders, with the then [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], calling it “a disease which spread downwards to the industrious poor from the idle rich”.
The game allowed players to place small stakes on football results with the chance of winning a big prize from the pooled money. The pools says it has paid out £3.2bn in prize money to more than 61 million people.
Players, often in workplace syndicates, filled in paper coupons that they submitted by post or through an agent. The aim of the main game was, and still is, to predict eight score draws, although the pools now has various add-on games.
After the harsh winter of 1963, when football matches were scrapped for three weeks running, the ‘Pools Panel’ was created to predict scores, and such was the intense interest they were broadcast live on BBC television.
Robert James, senior lecturer in history at Portsmouth University, said: “The pools was significant because it gave the working class a sense of identity and community and of aspiration to something better by winning something.
“Football was seen as the working class game and the pools helped give people a sense of community through leisure. They didn’t have to be at the game to debate about it. The pools also helped legitimise gambling because initially gambling was illegal and was done through the bookie’s runner and it was secretive and underhand.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
      [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    
Workers check football pools coupons at the Littlewood’s site in Liverpool in 1947. Photograph: Popperfoto/Getty Images/Popperfoto Creative 

Rival operations such as Vernons and Zetters sprang up and by the 1980s around one-in-four of the British population were doing the pools. In 1986, Littlewoods paid out the first £1m jackpot when £1,017,890 was shared by 11 nurses from Devizes in Wiltshire.
Sportech bought Littlewoods Gaming, which included the pools, in 2000 and in 2007 it acquired Vernons and Zetters. Combining the three pools was meant to strengthen the game against the National Lottery, which launched in 1994.
But the pools struggled against the might of the lottery. It still had 10 million players in 1994, but this fell to 700,000 by 2007 and has halved again since. Sportech said it stabilised earnings in the first half of this year and decided the time was right to sell and focus on its US gaming businesses.
Sportech said: “The board of Sportech believes that the proposed disposal represents an attractive opportunity to realise the value of The Football Pools following the implementation of its modernisation programme.”
A new company will float on the stock market after raising funds from investors. It will be run by Conleth Byrne, managing director of the Football Pools, and Carl Lynn, its finance director.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Viv is probably the best known winner ever

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 43246
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Lever Malone on 2017-08-11, 11:11 am

The best known pools winner to me was my dad. He won over £5000 in 1950 which now would be equivalent to around £160,000 but please don't send me any begging letters. The money has long since been spent.  Smile
avatar
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 791
Join date : 2012-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-11, 11:23 am

Lever Malone wrote:The best known pools winner to me was my dad. He won over £5000 in 1950 which now would be equivalent to around £160,000 but please don't send me any begging letters. The money has long since been spent.  Smile
Is it OK for me to brag that I know you

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 43246
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-08-11, 12:15 pm

used to do a long time ago, remember i did a forecast one time by guessing 10 results correctly home win draw or away win. I got nine out of ten correct, who let me down? yes you have guessed it Sunderland. Can you remember the game? it was against Bristol Rovers at home when we lost 0-1 in the cup, but the previous week Sunderland had beaten them at home in the league 5-0!!! so if any game out of the ten you would think would have been a banker its this one. Funny old game is football. Bet that result cost many a punter that week.


Last edited by barrowmackem on 2017-08-11, 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

________________________________________________________
Sunderland AFC fans, (The Special Ones)
avatar
barrowmackem
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 2328
Join date : 2014-09-29
Age : 59
Location : Barrow-in-Furness

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Vincemac on 2017-08-11, 12:28 pm

barrowmackem wrote:used to do a long time ago, remember i did a forecast one time by guessing 10 results correctly home win draw or away win. I got nine out of ten correct, who let me down? yes you have guessed it Sunderland. Can you remember the game? it was against Bristol Rovers at home when we lost 0-1 in the cup, but the previous week Sunderland had beaten them at home in the league 5-0!!! so if any game out of the ten you would think would have been a banker its this one. Funny old game is football. Bet that result cost many a pundit that week.
That reminds me 
1953 motherwell  6 Dumbarton 6
Me dad had them down as a home win 
While feeding our Michael the radio gave off the score 
He says he nearly dropped him.
My dad had some great stories.
avatar
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 6723
Join date : 2012-08-07
Age : 65

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Lever Malone on 2017-08-11, 10:19 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Lever Malone wrote:The best known pools winner to me was my dad. He won over £5000 in 1950 which now would be equivalent to around £160,000 but please don't send me any begging letters. The money has long since been spent.  Smile
Is it OK for me to brag that I know you

You can brag all you want. All I will say is 'Never heard of him!'
avatar
Lever Malone
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 791
Join date : 2012-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-08-11, 10:24 pm

Lever Malone wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Lever Malone wrote:The best known pools winner to me was my dad. He won over £5000 in 1950 which now would be equivalent to around £160,000 but please don't send me any begging letters. The money has long since been spent.  Smile
Is it OK for me to brag that I know you

You can brag all you want. All I will say is 'Never heard of him!'
Evil or Very Mad

________________________________________________________
          My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Posts : 43246
Join date : 2012-07-31
Age : 69
Location : Durham

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Pools

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum