SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Predictions Week 8
Today at 12:06 pm by silvers

» Predicitons Mid week 7
Today at 12:01 pm by silvers

» Watmore and Maja
Today at 9:42 am by talcnturnip

» Report: Sunderland want to sign Brentford’s Ryan Woods in January
Today at 9:06 am by talcnturnip

» Labour Party Conference
Today at 7:47 am by Billy D

» Quiz 65
Today at 6:54 am by Nostalgic

» Bradley Lowery Foundation
Today at 4:06 am by canary-dave

» Wow...just wow.
Today at 12:51 am by Roker roar

» The clever money...
Today at 12:37 am by Roker roar

» Thank you Brighton
Today at 12:24 am by Roker roar

Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd, Hieronymus

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Life in the Premier League

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Life in the Premier League

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-07-07, 9:35 am

When I look at the transfer fees being paid, even by the lower teams, it makes the blood drain from me if I think of a great escape last year.

We are struggling to compete in the championship so we would have seen a season even worse than the last one if we had survived.

Expectation this year is to simply stabilize and be competitive and somehow that is a more exciting thought than the annual battle, it begs the question, do I even want promotion this season?

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Life in the Premier League

Post  Argus on 2017-07-07, 10:52 am

I couldn't agree more Syd.

Only a year ago, the thought of a £100 million windfall was seen by many clubs as the route to Utopia but when I look at the fees being paid today - for what I call 'average at best ' footballers - then all of a sudden £100 million no longer provides the financial cushion for many clubs in the lower half of the Premiership, it's simply a necessity to compete in this new era of inflated transfer fees.

I've always seen Burnley as the sensible way to run a club - not getting involved in stupid fees or wages (or so I believe) when they achieve promotion - just maintaining a sensible financial balance to ensure they don't implode later, so it will be interesting to see how they respond to this explosion in transfer fees.

Given the current transfer market, relegation may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise for us, in more ways than one.

Had we managed yet another escape in May and given our already woeful financial situation, we would now surely be the odds-on favourites to go down next year.

At least our supporters can now enjoy a degree of optimism about our prospects over the next 10 months.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  silvers on 2017-07-07, 11:45 am

Yes, shades of 57-58

It took a couple of seasons to steady the shaky financial ship and then it was lift off..... for  awhile at any rate...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: