SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Coleman latest
Today at 12:26 am by Silvers

» Predictions Mid week 13
Yesterday at 11:19 pm by Panther

» Tony Pulis: West Brom sack head coach after Chelsea defeat
Yesterday at 10:23 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» ASTON VILLA V SUNDERLAND
Yesterday at 10:10 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» When will it end
Yesterday at 10:07 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» January recruits
Yesterday at 9:52 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Quiz 73
Yesterday at 9:15 pm by Hieronymus

» Defoe
2017-11-19, 10:34 pm by sunderpitt

» Good read from Daniel Taylor
2017-11-19, 9:54 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Coleman and cash
2017-11-19, 8:55 pm by Silvers

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 2 Bots

cyprussyd, Silvers

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

THE GUARDIAN - 25 years History of the EPL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE GUARDIAN - 25 years History of the EPL

Post  Spuggy on 2017-07-04, 9:36 am

The Guardian have a review of every PL Club over the last 25 years based on a fans opinion. Seems ours was provided by Joshua Hall.

Do you agree with this  ?

Quote :  "Sunderland

Best moment: Over the years Sunderland have been spoilt with brilliantly eccentric and obscure talents gracing the Stadium of Light in the Premier League. The likes of Djibril Cissé, Lilian Laslandes and Teemu Tainio have all come and gone yet their impact may not be remembered by all. However the one foreign talent who will never be forgotten for what he did at the club was not a player but instead, the wackiest manager we will ever have. I’m not talking about Mick McCarthy but instead the man, the myth, the legend that is Paolo Di Canio. During the shortest of tenures, he made every supporter believe. He made each and every player fight every second of every minute of the pitch. He ran a marathon on the touchline every single game and we the fans loved him for that. When first appointed his remit was clear: keep us up. Fast forward to Di Canio’s second game in charge – April 14 2013 – and we are up against Newcastle, who were desperate to relegate us. The pressure was majorly on but Di Canio dancing around on the sidelines like he was at a 1970s disco in downtown Rome inspired not one, not two, but three incredible goals to smash and grab the best derby-day victory in my lifetime. Super Kev’s super strike in 1999 had finally been surpassed by the kneeslide in full suit from Di Canio. The whole city of Sunderland smiled for a long time after that day and the momentum kept us in the league. Sadly Di Canio didn’t last much longer but that moment has ensured his place in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] folklore forever.

Worst moment: There are many moments that have upset me as a Sunderland fan in the Premier League. We have been relegated a wonderful four times after all. However, the whole 2005-06 season was like being punched in the face repeatedly by Mike Tyson. Excruciatingly painful to say the least. Starting the season with five losses in a row set the tone and we never recovered after that. I remember watching us in a bar in Portugal draw 0-0 with Manchester United at Old Trafford during that season and it just showed that the players were putting in the effort, had the ability to go toe to toe with the big dogs yet the unforgiving nature of such a strong league meant too many times we were second best. Being a 12-year-old at the time and being the only football fan who didn’t support Manchester United, Arsenal or Liverpool made life very difficult on the playground as well! But I had been prepared for this by our equally dreadful season in 2002-03, when we got 19 points! A fun few years indeed.

Favourite player: Like most Sunderland fans we love the one-season loan legend that is Yann M’Vila but ultimately no one comes close to Kevin Phillips."  Unquote.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Spuggy
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: THE GUARDIAN - 25 years History of the EPL

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-07-04, 9:41 am

Spuggy wrote:

The Guardian have a review of every PL Club over the last 25 years based on a fans opinion. Seems ours was provided by Joshua Hall.

Do you agree with this  ?

Quote :  "Sunderland

Best moment: Over the years Sunderland have been spoilt with brilliantly eccentric and obscure talents gracing the Stadium of Light in the Premier League. The likes of Djibril Cissé, Lilian Laslandes and Teemu Tainio have all come and gone yet their impact may not be remembered by all. However the one foreign talent who will never be forgotten for what he did at the club was not a player but instead, the wackiest manager we will ever have. I’m not talking about Mick McCarthy but instead the man, the myth, the legend that is Paolo Di Canio. During the shortest of tenures, he made every supporter believe. He made each and every player fight every second of every minute of the pitch. He ran a marathon on the touchline every single game and we the fans loved him for that. When first appointed his remit was clear: keep us up. Fast forward to Di Canio’s second game in charge – April 14 2013 – and we are up against Newcastle, who were desperate to relegate us. The pressure was majorly on but Di Canio dancing around on the sidelines like he was at a 1970s disco in downtown Rome inspired not one, not two, but three incredible goals to smash and grab the best derby-day victory in my lifetime. Super Kev’s super strike in 1999 had finally been surpassed by the kneeslide in full suit from Di Canio. The whole city of Sunderland smiled for a long time after that day and the momentum kept us in the league. Sadly Di Canio didn’t last much longer but that moment has ensured his place in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] folklore forever.

That knee slide is now folklaw

Worst moment: There are many moments that have upset me as a Sunderland fan in the Premier League. We have been relegated a wonderful four times after all. However, the whole 2005-06 season was like being punched in the face repeatedly by Mike Tyson. Excruciatingly painful to say the least. Starting the season with five losses in a row set the tone and we never recovered after that. I remember watching us in a bar in Portugal draw 0-0 with Manchester United at Old Trafford during that season and it just showed that the players were putting in the effort, had the ability to go toe to toe with the big dogs yet the unforgiving nature of such a strong league meant too many times we were second best. Being a 12-year-old at the time and being the only football fan who didn’t support Manchester United, Arsenal or Liverpool made life very difficult on the playground as well! But I had been prepared for this by our equally dreadful season in 2002-03, when we got 19 points! A fun few years indeed.

8-0 at Southampton was dire

Favourite player: Like most Sunderland fans we love the one-season loan legend that is Yann M’Vila but ultimately no one comes close to Kevin Phillips."  Unquote.

I'm fond of Noz

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum