SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Coleman latest
Today at 12:26 am by Silvers

» Predictions Mid week 13
Yesterday at 11:19 pm by Panther

» Tony Pulis: West Brom sack head coach after Chelsea defeat
Yesterday at 10:23 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» ASTON VILLA V SUNDERLAND
Yesterday at 10:10 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» When will it end
Yesterday at 10:07 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» January recruits
Yesterday at 9:52 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Quiz 73
Yesterday at 9:15 pm by Hieronymus

» Defoe
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 pm by sunderpitt

» Good read from Daniel Taylor
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:54 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Coleman and cash
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:55 pm by Silvers

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

cyprussyd, Silvers

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

(Lancs Post ) Sunderland will be a radically different challenge for Grayson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Lancs Post ) Sunderland will be a radically different challenge for Grayson

Post  Silvers on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lancashire Post

Sunderland will be relieved that they have, in their eyes, found a manager in Grayson who can bring stability

by PHIL SMITH

The biggest compliment you can pay Simon Grayson’s work at Preston North End is the reaction from the Deepdale faithful, where the feeling is of an opportunity missed and a journey cut short. Failing to win in the last six games of the Championship season was a bitterly disappointing end, an 11th-placed finish perhaps not quite doing justice to a campaign that at one point looked like turning into a most unlikely play-off push. Strikers Jermaine Beckford and Eoin Doyle fighting on the pitch in December caught the headlines, but, on the whole, this was an impressively tight-knit squad punching well above their weight. On a shoestring budget, a recruitment record impressively matched low-risk, low-cost acquisitions with some calculated risks. While the football has not perhaps been eye-catching, the likes of Aiden McGeady and Tom Barkhuizen added genuine flair on the flanks. If his Sunderland side can play like his Preston outfit, some fans may be pleasantly surprised by what they see. Grayson is also fondly remembered at Leeds United, where his sacking is seen as a ‘what if’ moment by fans. From the brink of the play-offs, it took four seasons and a plethora of managers before the Elland Road side could even consider the top six again. Grayson may not be the high-profile appointment many at Sunderland were hoping for, and it is certainly true that a Roy Keane-esque arrival to bring wavering fans flooding back to the Stadium of Light would have been most welcome. The collapse in takeover talks put an end to that, however, and the climate now could not be more different to the autumn of 2006. Sunderland will be relieved that they have, in their eyes, found a manager who can bring stability and prevent the kind of plummet that looked increasingly likely as uncertainty continued. Grayson will take a contacts book well suited to recruiting for a Championship season in rapid fashion, and a knowledge of the teams in the league that should help the club recover some of the ground they have lost in the five torturous weeks since David Moyes finally brought an end to his time on Wearside. The big question, to be answered in the coming weeks, is the same as it was for Derek McInnes and every one of the other names mentioned in connection with Sunderland. What money will there be to spend? Grayson will inherit some talented youngsters, and a plethora of players not good enough for the Premier League but who could yet prove effective in the second tier. Some will leave, but some will have to stay with interest in short supply from elsewhere.

Motivating those players, ground down by a difficult and divisive season, yet still well paid and with apsirations to play at a higher, will be one of Grayson’s biggest challenges and one that we have no real guide as to whether he will be able to manage. It will be that task that makes or break his tenure, and defines whether he is able to translate his work at the likes of Preston to a clubs with the expectation and scrutiny of Sunderland. The task ahead is a significant one, and he will make a brave call in leaving the security of Preston for it. The rewards, as he will know, have the potential to be vast.
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Re: (Lancs Post ) Sunderland will be a radically different challenge for Grayson

Post  cyprussyd on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 am

It seems that like many a period of a less glamourous manger and team who want to work hard for us is refreshingly appealing and welcome to me.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: (Lancs Post ) Sunderland will be a radically different challenge for Grayson

Post  talcnturnip on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 am

He's got a helluva job on with us and, if I'm brutally honest this season is all about consolidation and stopping the rot of defeat after defeat and ultimately another relegation rather than a concerted push for an immediate return whether that be promoted or play offs. 
As said on a different thread Short has had a bit of a wake up call about how much the club is actually worth compared to what he wants for it ( maybe not the astute businessman we thought at the beginning?). 
As with our previous managers Short HAS to back him, he HAS to give him a free reign, whether he does that remains to be seen or, will we see the Short of previous seasons re emerge? that is what will see Grayson succeed or fail.  Yes it will cost money but, will make the club more desirable for future owners no matter their nationality. 
The only downside so far for me is the retention of JOS and Seb, two dinosaurs who will struggle in the Fizzy pop with two games a week most weeks and, the more aggressive football and tackling that goes on could (sorry make that will) see both injured or suspended more than playing.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Been on the lash for a week so havent had access to the net or even been capable at times so just catching up now with things.

Was there actually talks with any consortiums at all? Or does this just give ES more time to asset strip? I would have thought any "alleged cosortiums"would have been onto the media by now stating why the "talks broke down".
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 pm

gil t azell wrote:Been on the lash for a week so havent had access to the net or even been capable at times so just catching up now with things.

Was there actually talks with any consortiums at all? Or does this just give ES more time to asset strip? I would have thought any "alleged cosortiums"would have been onto the media by now stating why the "talks broke down".
I heard that it was  the same German consortium that tried to buy Hull. and  they couldn't put enough money up then either. I was certainly hoping for a takeover  but maybe this was  the best thing after all. A solid year this year, and maybe  the club won't look such a basket case and somebody worthwhile might come in with some cash.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum