SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» MAJA GOAL
Today at 4:08 am by canary-dave

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Today at 2:38 am by oxfordshire

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 9:43 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

» Keith Chegwin dies
Yesterday at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

canary-dave, Nostalgic, sunderpitt

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

Sunderland v Celtic..Match Day Thread

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sunderland v Celtic..Match Day Thread

Post  cyprussyd on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:Cash turnstiles...This is a total recipe for disaster... I have bought tickets, but seriously considering avoiding this game..
I will be there with Dave and don't expect any trouble

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 pm

We move on to our first home game and last friendly when the hoops come to town.

Suddenly from no squad we find ourselves with choices so what do you think the team will be?

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Hopefully not too competitive.

We carry the jinx and we don't want any major injuries prior to Derby..
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am

If Lens and maja are Fit Grayson has some decisions to make on team selection.

In goal, Steele or Ruiter, I think he will give Steele a run out.

Back line of Jones  Kone  Browning  Gallaway
Cattermole and N'Dong.

Now it gets tough with MCgeady, Khazri, Lens, Maja, Vaughan and Grabban, 4 from 6 for me.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:03 am

Looking at the seating plan it looks like we will be outnumbered and out shouted by Celtic.

They have the normal away end plus all of the premier concourse, all the south stand and the south west and south east corners.

Its looking like a poor response from Sunderland fans and TBH that surprises me.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 am

I have heard that we have only sold a few thousand tickets for this game and will be well outnumbered by away fans.. I thought this would be the case..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

MrRAWhite wrote:I have heard that we have only sold a few thousand tickets for this game and will be well outnumbered by away fans.. I thought this would be the case..
A very sad reflection of our fans IMO, maybe we deserve a crap team

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:56 am

cyprussyd wrote:
MrRAWhite wrote:I have heard that we have only sold a few thousand tickets for this game and will be well outnumbered by away fans.. I thought this would be the case..
First week of school summer holidays, plus we still have "factory fortnight" in many workplaces up here and loads of fans will be away on holiday. But no excuses for the old retired folks! Laughing

I would have probably come for this game - especially with Dave coming this weekend as well - but am off to Stanford Hall Fireworks Championships to sit in the rain and have a picnic and watch fireworks with friends tongue
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Hieronymus wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
First week of school summer holidays, plus we still have "factory fortnight" in many workplaces up here and loads of fans will be away on holiday. But no excuses for the old retired folks! Laughing

I would have probably come for this game - especially with Dave coming this weekend as well - but am off to Stanford Hall Fireworks Championships to sit in the rain and have a picnic and watch fireworks with friends tongue
Our new signings have been talking of the stadium, the atmosphere the fans.

They will come out to a sea of green and white with the odd speck of red and white, I just find it all very depressing, very depressing indeed.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:21 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

They will come out to a sea of green and white with the odd speck of red and white, I just find it all very depressing, very depressing indeed.
People have genuine concerns regarding trouble Syd.. I'm doing my best to keep my lads well out of town before and after the game..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:

People have genuine concerns regarding trouble Syd.. I'm doing my best to keep my lads well out of town before and after the game..
you are the only person who has mentioned trouble Allan, we have a bus going from Coxhoe and not once have I heard concerns, I certainly don't expect anything serious.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:29 pm

I agree with R A W

Past history begs caution...

Plus cost .. for a practice match.

Hasn't been a lot to 'celebrate' of late.
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 pm

silvers wrote:I agree with R A W

I can only repeat I expect no trouble, cost really, £10.00 for a 20 year celebration match and its a new manager, new team new start.

Sad by the lack of support.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Celtic fans are set to come up against a derby day style policing operation when they visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for Saturday's friendly clash.
Up to 8,000 Hoops supporters are expected to travel to the North East for the match which is being played to mark 20 years since the Stadium of Light first opened its doors.

Northumbria Police has warned it will not tolerate any disorder inside or outside of the match and that there will be a “highly visible policing presence" at the ground and in Sunderland and Newcastle.
A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said: “Northumbria Police is proud of the fantastic reputation we have for policing football in this region.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sunderland's Stadium of Light (Image: PA)
“However, we will not tolerate disorder inside or outside the stadium and we will have a highly visible policing presence at the Stadium of Light and surrounding cities on the day.
“Disorder at our football matches has fallen in recent years and we trust fans to work together with police and the football clubs to maintain this.
“Metros and trains will be extremely busy and fans are advised to plan their transport to the game in advance, leaving plenty of time for their journey and where possible travel together to avoid congestion.

“Our priority is the safety of the public, we will be speaking with fans and will be available to offer any advice or reassurance they need.”
They added: “The North East is one of the most passionate places in the country when it comes to sport and that is something we want to celebrate.”
Extra Metro trains are on stand-by to cope with large numbers of Hoops fans expected to descend on the region.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] supporters will be among the first to enjoy the newly revamped Stadium of Light Metro station, which has been given a red and white facelift ahead of the new season.

Police presence as Sunderland Fans leave St James Park after the Tyne Wear Derby (Image: Newcastle Chronicle)
A Nexus spokesman said: “We will have extra trains on stand-by on Saturday, if needed, although the vast majority of visiting fans are expected to come direct by coach. We work with the football club and police to plan for high profile football matches in Sunderland.
“Metro gives the Stadium of Light among the most frequent train services for a ground outside London and we will have extra staff to welcome and assist visitors to the region.”

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:46 pm

cyprussyd wrote:

I can only repeat I expect no trouble, cost really, £10.00 for a 20 year celebration match and its a new manager, new team new start.

well, you wondered why.
I was just offering an explanation..
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Celtic to make a £10000 donation to Bradley Lowrey fund.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:11 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Celtic to make a £10000 donation to Bradley Lowrey fund.
clapy clapy clapy clapy clapy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Dare not upset Mrs S so a special shirt for Saturday

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Dave on Saturday

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If anyone going to the Celtic game wishes to have a royal audience with Lord Dave of Weston his throne will be placed in..

East Stand Tier 2 U4 21/378 Celtic FC 

East Stand Tier 2 U4 21/379 Celtic FC 

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 pm

8000 pissed up Glaswegians.
I can see trouble ahead.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Billy D wrote:8000 pissed up Glaswegians.
I can see trouble ahead.
Cash turnstiles as well.. I will be amazed if people are not seriously hurt this weekend..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:
I can see trouble ahead.
Cash turnstiles as well.. I will be amazed if people are not seriously hurt this weekend..
God I want to cut my wrists

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:14 pm

I don't see why there should be trouble really, the police are treating it like a derby match after all. But if people expect trouble and/or go looking for it, it will happen I suppose. Always a few idiots on BOTH sides.

Found this in the Echo tonight which was interesting. Any 'oldies' rememebr the 1960, 1965 or 1973 games? I cannot actually even remember the last two in 2001 and 2009! Embarassed

I had forgotten Craig Gordon plays for Celtic. Make sure he gets a warm round of applause please!

Sunderland v Celtic: Five friendlies between the two sides remembered
Gordon is set for an SoL return    

Ross Gregory

Published: 13:59 Wednesday 28 June 2017  

Sunderland will contest the 'Dafabet Cup' against Scottish champions Celtic on July 29th.

The pre-season friendly is being held to mark the 20th anniversary of the Stadium of Light, which opened with a high-profile friendly against Ajax in 1997. There has been no pre-season game at the ground since the same opposition visited in 2008.

Celtic should provide a stern test for the Black Cats, having already started their pre-season schedule and will travel to Wearside having already played competitive Champions League football.

Season card holders will benefit from special pricing for the game, with tickets £12 for adults and free for juniors.

Here, we remember five other friendlies between the two dating back over half a century.

January 30, 1960
Sunderland 7 Celtic 1
Celtic had been handed a Scottish Cup bye so the game was set up for extra practice, but they recorded one of their heaviest defeats as Sunderland ran riot at Roker Park.
Sunderland's goals came from Ian Lawther (2), John Goodchild, Ambrose Fogarty, Colin Grainger , Alan O'Neill and Stan Anderson.

August 7, 1965
Sunderland 0 Celtic 5
Jim Baxter made his Sunderland bow after a big money move from Rangers, but it was the Scots on the other side that stole the show as Jock Stein's young side gave a masterclass, showing the early promise that would see them go on to win the European Cup two years later.
Goals came from Bobby Lennox, Joe McBride, Bobby Murdoch and a brace from John Hughes completed the whitewash.

August 6, 1973
Celtic 1 Sunderland 2
The FA Cup heroes paraded the trophy before the game, then showed the 21,000-strong crowd their quality with a fine performance.
Billy Hughes, who brother John was playing for Celtic, bagged the winner after Jimmy 'Jinky' Johnstone has cancelled out Denis Tuert's opener.

July 24, 2001
Celtic 1 Sunderland 0
A strong Sunderland side were edged out by a Henrik Larsson goal, the super Swede converting a 68th minute penalty.
Celtic boss Martin O'Neill said: "I thought for the first half Sunderland played very well and it took a lot of time to get to grips with them, but in the second half I thought we did very well."

August 1, 2009
Celtic 1 Sunderland 2
Goals from Kenwyne Jones and Kieran Richardson gave Sunderland the victory over Tony Mowbray's side, who were in the midst of a two-legged Champions League qualifier against Dinamo Moscow. Hoops midfielder Marc Crosas pulled a goal back, but the other main talking point was the way SAFC fans sang Sir Bobby Robson's name in tribute after the former Newcastle United manager's death.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 pm

cyprussyd wrote:

It's a "so what?" game for me. Another pre season friendly. Not sure I'd bother even if I was local but will be at the SoL at the first opportunity when the season starts.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:54 am

MrRAWhite wrote:
I can see trouble ahead.
If I was going to this game, which I'm not, I would avoid the town before & after the match.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum