SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Corbyn in Brussels.
Today at 1:11 pm by cyprussyd

» Big pants
Today at 1:02 pm by gil t azell

» I bet they didn't envisage this start
Today at 10:45 am by Hieronymus

» Tina anybody?
Today at 10:42 am by Hieronymus

» Aberfan 21-10-66
Today at 10:39 am by Hieronymus

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Today at 10:31 am by cyprussyd

» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 10:27 am by Hieronymus

» Predictions Week 10
Today at 7:50 am by oldblackcat

» Mr H wont be happy
Yesterday at 10:13 pm by cyprussyd

» Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong
Yesterday at 6:37 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 2 Bots

canary-dave, cyprussyd, gil t azell

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The London disaster

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What a sad country.

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-14, 3:57 pm

Today I find it hard to talk football, two terrorist attacks in Manchester then London and today a tragedy that even at this early stage seems to leave some big questions unanswered.

The London fire brought back memories of the twin towers in human suffering with poor souls trapped in a high rise block with no escape.

Over the coming days and weeks the questions will be answered and I have a feeling we wont like some of the answers.

The one bright light shining is again the reaction of the community in supporting and offering help along with the emergency services, underpaid and understaffed but never under rated by most of us.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The London disaster

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-14, 10:58 pm

Been out all day but have followed news online and listened to radio when I could and am horrified, shocked and heartbroken at what unfolded in the early hours of this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this horrific event.

And yes, a big thank you and sincere respect to all the emergency services and NHS staff who have had to face another shocking incident and again showed how magnificent they are when dealing with such unimaginable horror.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-06-15, 12:25 am

I'm in the middle of moving house and not kept with much lately, but this incident is desperately agonising to say the least. The story of the baby being dropped to safety from the ninth floor and being caught is top of my list of survival events.

Thoughts and prayers with all those affected, including the first responders.

Last edited by Nostalgic on 2017-06-15, 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-15, 9:09 am

It seems that Corbyn is determined to stop any cover up with accusations of reports being sat on and corners cut. I will be surprised if heads don't roll and prison terms given.

Of course it will be someone at the bottom of the heap who will carry the can.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-06-15, 10:30 am

cyprussyd wrote:It seems that Corbyn is determined to stop any cover up with accusations of reports being sat on and corners cut. I will be surprised if heads don't roll and prison terms given.

Of course it will be someone at the bottom of the heap who will carry the can.

Amber Rudd?  Twisted Evil

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-15, 10:48 am

Chloe and Liam's funeral is about to start.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mourners are expected to pack out a South Shields church today for the…
SUNDERLANDECHO.COM

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-06-16, 8:46 am

The Durham Fire service has my golf club as its home course..

I was chatting with some firefighters yesterday about the effort the London Fire service has put in in the past few days and praising them. A couple of them made the point that following the cuts that even after putting in more than a lawful shift, the firefighters had to go home grab some sleep then get back on shift rather than having a break of  day to recover, cos of the cuts they had to go straight back out.

if somebody get get this link to work you might see what BoJo thought of cuts to the fire service
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-16, 10:22 am

sunderpitt wrote:The Durham Fire service has my golf club as its home course..

I was chatting with some firefighters yesterday about the effort the London Fire service has put in in the past few days and praising them. A couple of them made the point that following the cuts that even after putting in more than a lawful shift, the firefighters had to go home grab some sleep then get back on shift rather than having a break of  day to recover, cos of the cuts they had to go straight back out.

if somebody get get this link to work you might see what BoJo thought of cuts to the fire service
Yes, "get stuffed" was the upshot to someone querying the wisdom of more fire servce cuts.. Disgraceful behaviour but what do you expect from Boris the Buffoon.

What this government has never understood is that there is a reason for 'redundancy' i.e. more staff than needed for immediate needs. Because they are called 'emergency services'! Same as police cuts, and hospital bed and ward closures. No service should be running above 85% capacity because you need slack in the system to cope with emergencies, which by their very nature cannot be planned for! Despite what the Tory and neo-liberal ideology tells them, services running at 99% efficiency are actually inefficient. Staff in these services need proper breaks and proper rest time, and if they do not get that they are less productive and morale suffers. As we have witnessed recently.

I can barely watch the news today. I am so angry at the political belief that poor people's lives weren't worth the same as those richer residents living in adjacent mansion blocks, that no doubt have working fire alarms, sprinklers and more than one fire escape.

I am furious that  it takes a true catastrophe on this scale for the government to begin to realise what their cuts have done to public services.

I am devastated for the families, and all who were there that night. Fire fighters, police, ambulance, doctors and nurses, and the ordinary people who stood and watched their neighbours, friends and families die a horrifying death in front of their eyes, and they were almost totally helpless. These people will never recover from what they experienced.

I am heartbroken because all of these deaths, and all of this pain and suffering was avoidable, and should never have happened.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-06-16, 12:40 pm

Well said H. I must confess it's anger and grief that has kept me off this subject and I'm still too upset to talk in depth!  Sad

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

The London disaster

Post  vinkel on 2017-06-16, 1:24 pm

Has distracted from the turmoil in government, obviously action has to be taken over what has happened and urgently. But has this lost Corbyn the ground he was making recently. May could still fall in june.

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-16, 6:13 pm

As London Tower Smolders, Outrage Spreads in Divided Society

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]© Getty
Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s, as published by our content partner, and do not represent the views of MSN or Microsoft.

The black, smoldering shell of a London apartment block is the harrowing symbol of everything locals say has gone wrong in their city.

The inferno that ripped through the 24-story tower in the small hours of Wednesday morning left at least 17 people dead, dozens in the hospital and many more missing. For devastated locals, some still searching for loved ones, it was emblematic of how they have been abandoned by an uncaring government that spent the last seven years slashing spending on vital services.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]© PA
“Austerity went up in those flames,” said Sarah, a retiree who was born and brought up in London and was going past the area on the tube when she decided to stop and help. “We’re not looking at a building, we’re looking at a graveyard,” added Siobhan, who works with children. The two women, who had just met on Thursday, didn’t want to give their surnames.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]© Getty
Britain was already a nation divided, with parts of the population seething with anger at growing inequality in living standards and prepared to lash out at the establishment. Brexit was as much a rejection of the elite as it was a vote to leave the European Union. Prime Minister Theresa May misread the mood of the country and last week voters punished her for it.

Watch: Resident on fire: We expected disaster (Sky News)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[size=14]Resident on fire: We 'expected' disaster

[/size]

An election on June 8 saw May lose ground to an anti-austerity opponent. Then, horrifically, people were burned to death in a tower block sitting in one of the most affluent areas in the world, after residents had complained about safety.

Political Misstep

For Soran Karimi, 31, who lives in the block opposite, it was nothing short of “murder” and “people should be prosecuted for this,” he said. The residential tower of social housing was refurbished last year, but only so it didn’t look out of place in one of the capital’s richest neighborhoods, he said.

“They didn’t do it for the benefit of the residents,” said Karimi. “They’re making it look nice outside because it’s right on their doorstep.”

May ordered an investigation into the blaze, which she called “ferocious and unexpected.” Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the opposition Labour Party, told a meeting of lawmakers that “it cannot be right that a fire like this takes so many lives in the 21st century in Britain."

Corbyn’s Compassion

Both visited the site of the disaster on Thursday, with contrasting reactions from locals. May spoke with the authorities and immediately faced criticism for not engaging with survivors and other local residents.

Built in 1974, the 120-unit building was home to roughly 500 people. London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton earlier Thursday said the number of unaccounted for residents was unknown. Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said of the toll, “I’d like to hope that it isn’t going to be triple figures.”

Corbyn, whose party unseated May’s Conservatives in the district for the first time ever in the election, arrived an hour later. He was seen speaking to people on the street and at St. Clement’s Church, and promised to “speak for all of you” in Parliament.

A picture posted on Twitter showed him with his arms around a teary woman clutching posters of a missing girl. Instead, May wasn’t seen engaging.

[ltr]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/ltr]

[ltr]Optics mean a lot in politics, particularly at times like this. Theresa May didn’t meet [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] residents. Corbyn did.[/ltr]

[ltr]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/ltr]

“A lot of locals said it was a waste that she came,” said Parvez, who has been helping out at his local mosque. Declining to give his family name, he said he saw May come to the area earlier in the day.

"It’s all good paying a visit, but she did appear to just go speak to the firefighters,” he said. “Jeremy Corbyn, he was more within the community. It just shows the difference between them.”

May’s personal ratings have plunged while Corbyn’s popularity has gone up in the week since the election that saw the prime minister lose her majority, according to a poll by YouGov, which conducted interviews June 11-12.

Cheek by Jowl

London is full of juxtaposed social groups. The City of London financial district sits adjacent to an area that’s among the poorest and with the highest proportion of social housing. But nowhere is that division more stark than around Grenfell Tower.

[ltr]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/ltr]

[ltr]From the higher floors, residents were able to look over to streets with some of the most expensive housing in the world. Celebrities, Russian billionaires and sports stars have homes or apartments, not all of them in use.[/ltr]

David Lammy, a Labour lawmaker for another part of London, said on Twitter that the government should seize homes left vacant by overseas investors to rehouse victims.

As the search for missing people enters its third day, fire chiefs say it would be a miracle if there were more survivors and the police have begun a criminal investigation into the fire.

Emerging from the Underground subway station, it’s clear there’s a community in mourning. A poster asks “Have you seen Jessica Urbano?” above the picture of a smiling dark-haired 12-year-old girl. On the way to the underpass, more posters are taped along fences, on walls and even on one man’s chest. Smoke and ash are everywhere.

The pavement under the underpass is bursting with people, food and bags of clothing which are being packed into vans by volunteers. Turning up the road towards the blaze, the crowd grows larger. Some sit on the wall opposite the building, which is still emitting smoke, and just stare in silence. Others mill around, turning to neighbors, friends and strangers to express their despair at what they feel was an avoidable tragedy.

Politicians “are showing their face on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. But that’s about it,” said Nelima Miah, a friend of Parvez who lives two streets away. “It’s the community that’s been leading, not the council or government.”

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-18, 3:53 pm

Where are all the people, my figures may not be that accurate but.
I was told, heard, read that around 700 people lived in Grenfell Tower.
I think there are about 30 still in hospital.
The police are saying that 58 are dead.

Now even if my numbers are out it still leaves a few hundred unaccounted for, where are they?
Why do we appear to be being told lies?
Who is it that is organizing those lies?
What sort of country are we now living in?
Honestly I am not trying to be party political, Tory, Labour, LibDem must all know the numbers don't add up so why is no one asking the question?
Can anyone explain please?

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum