SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:15 am by canary-dave

» MAJA GOAL
Today at 4:44 am by cyprussyd

» Quiz 76
Yesterday at 11:23 pm by Hieronymus

» A heart warming win.. next target?
Yesterday at 7:43 pm by barrowmackem

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 5:18 pm by gil t azell

» Thoroughly ashamed
Yesterday at 5:15 pm by gil t azell

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Yesterday at 2:07 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 1:25 pm by Billy D

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
2017-12-16, 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
2017-12-16, 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 2 Bots

canary-dave, talcnturnip

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Step by step painting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Step by step painting

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-06-04, 7:56 pm

As some of you may know both myself and Mackemneil dabble in a bit of art,so I thought I would post a step by step guide on how I did one of my paintings to see if it could insprie any of you on here to have a bash themselves.If not I hope you find it interesting,I'm sick of politics and bombs, hopefully it'll take your mind off them too Smile Sometimes I have problems with others seeing my photos so I hope these are visible.
First you need a sketch of what you wish to paint (I saw a pic of a nice lass and sketched her face) If you can't sketch you could always cheat and trace Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I prefer to use watercolour pencils to start my paintings.First I shade in with pencil and go over with water to try and get the flesh colour I require.I use a darker colour to get some shade underneath the chin and round the eyes and on the cheeksWhen using watercolour pencils/paint you'll find the colour dries lighter so you may need a couple or more coats to get the colour you require.
Here I have gone over the painting again and added colour to the eyes
You can see the difference in colour when the paint dries in this next pic.I have also added the eyebrows and pink for the lips
I have gone over some of the shading and added the base colour for the hair in the next pic and you can see the painting starting to take shape
As I said earlier sometimes you need to do a few coats using watercolour pencils/paints and this is what I've done here with the hair and some shading and added a bit more shading and the nostrils to the nose
Next I went over the most of the painting again making the hair/cheeks and the eyes darker as I thought the painting looked too light.I also concentrated on the lips and mouth,using acrylic paint to get a darker pink and highlights on the lips.  
To be honest I was about to give up at this stage as I wasn't very happy the way the painting was looking.I decided to have a go at the eyes and then decide whether or not to scrap the painting.I used an ink pen to draw the eyes/eyebrows and eye lashes and darkened the colour of the eye with acrylic paint after going over the shading round the eyes,on the nose and the cheeks.I also tried to separate the face from the shadow underneath the chin using acrylic white paint.
Much happier after adding the eyes I paid attention to the hair.To be honest I struggle painting hair.A while ago I tried painting strands or string hair as I call it.It seemed to work so I tried it again here.Only thing I regret is not getting the base of the hair a darker black as I thought it would have looked better. Sad
I added a bit more colour to the hair with acrylic paint, went over a couple of bits of shading and decided I was happy with the resulting painting.Hopefully it'll inspire at least one of you to have a bash at painting yourselves Very Happy
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: Step by step painting

Post  canary-dave on 2017-06-04, 8:04 pm

Whenever I decorate I end up painting myself, not intentionally you understand!   Embarassed

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-04, 9:02 pm

That's brilliant OBC and what a good idea to do this to lighten the mood a bit. Yes the news is very disheartening right now.  Anyway I admire your talent so much as even with your excellent instructions I could never do this in a million years! I dont have an artistic bone in my body. Mr H dabbles in painting but prefers oils and doing land and seascapes or abstract stuff.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-06-04, 10:24 pm

Never tried oils myself "H" well done to Mr H for using them....I will eventually get round to it,I always fancied airbrush techniques but wouldn't know how to start or where to go to get instructions, anyway maybe you should put a couple of Mr H's efforts on here?
Did a few abstract paintings but focused my efforts on faces (pretty ones usually Very Happy ) as I always struggled with them
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2017-06-05, 5:44 pm

I'm impressed OBC.

I started watercolour painting in January (something I've planned to do for many years but never found the time) and I find it so relaxing.

Certainly not in your league OBC but what I have discovered is that other painters will inevitably offer compliments and suggestions rather than criticism about my work, which is encouraging.

Unfortunately, probably like many others, my interest in painting at school was cut short by uninspiring teachers but I'm glad I've managed to find the time to start again.

The internet - and particularly YouTube - is proving a wonderful source of information on how to paint using watercolours and already I'm being complimented on my work, though I think it's probably more for encouragement than a true reflection of my talent.

Nevertheless, after nearly 5 months I'm becoming more enthusiastic each day in this new interest, something my grammar school education failed to do miserably.

One day I may be brave enough to post a picture, now that would certainly be a big step for me.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-06-05, 7:34 pm

Argus wrote:I'm impressed OBC.

I started watercolour painting in January (something I've planned to do for many years but never found the time) and I find it so relaxing.

Certainly not in your league OBC but what I have discovered is that other painters will inevitably offer compliments and suggestions rather than criticism about my work, which is encouraging.

Unfortunately, probably like many others, my interest in painting at school was cut short by uninspiring teachers but I'm glad I've managed to find the time to start again.

The internet - and particularly YouTube - is proving a wonderful source of information on how to paint using watercolours and already I'm being complimented on my work, though I think it's probably more for encouragement than a true reflection of my talent.

Nevertheless, after nearly 5 months I'm becoming more enthusiastic each day in this new interest, something my grammar school education failed to do miserably.

One day I may be brave enough to post a picture, now that would certainly be a big step for me.
The thing about art/drawing/painting is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....what some find great, others dislike....the more you practice the better you get....Youtube is great,whatever you want to paint you can find demonstrations and advice that will help you try different techniques and develop your own style....when you're happy with one of your paintings take that next step and post a picture mate Very Happy
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-06-05, 8:10 pm

Very impressed by you and a good read.

I struggle with stick drawings, although I can throw a pot
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down