Yesterday at 8:20 am by cyprussyd

» Well the deal is done.
2017-06-26, 10:18 pm by silvers

» wHAT IS THE sUNDERLAND CONNECTION ?
2017-06-26, 10:57 am by The Yakker

» No crisis say Short and Baine following meeting
2017-06-26, 10:08 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Interesting article about Big Sam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interesting article about Big Sam

Post  silvers on 2017-05-26, 10:28 am

This is from a year ago...........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Meet Big Sam, new England boss who promised his wife he'd quit football so they could go on a Hawaiian cruise and spend more time with their family 

• Sam Allardyce's wife Lynne might not be entirely pleased about his new job

• Only last year Sunderland boss said he was ready to quit the game for her

• Could then spend more time with their family and enjoy a Hawaiian cruse

• But now Allardyce, 61, has accepted job of England football team manager 

By Mario Ledwith for the Daily Mail
PUBLISHED: 01:08, 21 July 2016 UPDATED: 01:25, 21 July 2016

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It is the job he has dreamt of for years, having overcome near-bankruptcy during his playing career to become one of English football’s fiercest managers.
But when Sam Allardyce takes up his multi-million-pound contract as England manager today, there is one person who might not be entirely pleased – his wife Lynne.
For only last year the Sunderland boss said he was ready to bow to her demands to quit the game for good so they could spend more time with their family and finally enjoy a Hawaiian cruise.
Now, however, Allardyce, 61, has accepted one of the most high-pressured jobs in football despite almost having a heart attack from stress because of life on the football pitch.
Perhaps even more worrying for his wife of 42 years will be the fact that he first detected the problem while watching an England game in 2009. When he went to a doctor shortly afterwards complaining of sharp pains, he was told he had an almost completely blocked artery and had to have a stent fitted.
‘I’ve spent 45 years… completely absorbed in football, with so much time away from the family that if Lynne had her way I would never go back into the game again,’ he said last year.
‘She wants us to enjoy life, go on more holidays, take the cruise to Hawaii she’s always wanted and to spend more time with the grandkids. For the first time in my life I might be starting to agree with her.’
But a few months later, he returned to the sport as manager of Sunderland, and now England has come calling. Allardyce began his playing career in the late 1960s and signed to clubs including Bolton Wanderers, Millwall, Coventry and Sunderland.

His playing was solid if unspectacular, but he enjoyed greater renown as a manager of teams including West Ham, Bolton and Notts County, often outperforming bigger clubs with greater resources.
His new appointment may prove the shake-up required for England’s multi-millionaire flops who were humiliated by Iceland during this summer’s European championship.
Allardyce, called the ‘Big Brute’ by his close friend Sir Alex Ferguson, is known for his no-nonsense approach and fiery rants on the sideline.

He credits his father Bob’s heavy-handed parenting during his childhood on a housing estate in Dudley, West Midlands, for his tough attitude. While the Scottish police sergeant was often absent working or drinking at the local social club, his mother Mary was left in charge of Allardyce and his two siblings.
Allardyce described his parents’ marriage as an ‘empty relationship’ – and it could not be more different from his own to his 61-year-old wife, who he calls his ‘rock’.
They wed at an Anglican church in Bolton when both were still aged 19 and had their first child Craig a year later. The couple, who have two children and four grandchildren, still own a modest family home in Bolton as well as a villa in Spain.
Unlike the mega-rich stars he will now manage, Allardyce nearly went ‘flat broke’ during his days on the pitch. This spurred his decision to become a manager.
He has made no secret of his desire to manage England in the past, having been interviewed for the job in 2006 and losing out to Steve McLaren.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[size=10]on the day he signed for Sunderland as a player

[/size]

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Interesting article about Big Sam

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-26, 10:42 am

I think Sam is doing the right thing, life is short and he has the money to enjoy it so why not.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mackem72 on 2017-05-26, 12:45 pm

Got to agree that life is too short and he and his wife deserve to enjoy whats left of it and I wish him all the best.

Selfishly tho I (and I'm sure im not alone) cant help thinking "What If", where would we be now if the England job hadnt of come up last year, disrupting the whole pre-season and the players stability probably still feeling that our beloved team should be performing better but the rose coloured glasses always tint things dont they Smile

ack ack ack ack ack
mackem72

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-05-26, 2:46 pm

Given the timing I wondered if the events on Monday night finally made his mind up?
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum