Yesterday at 6:05 pm by Vincemac

» Possible new striker
Yesterday at 5:32 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 51
Yesterday at 5:26 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 52
Yesterday at 5:04 pm by MrRAWhite

Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

ermain Defoe confirms Sunderland exit this summer; makes a promise to Black Cats supporters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ermain Defoe confirms Sunderland exit this summer; makes a promise to Black Cats supporters

Post  silvers on 2017-05-10, 9:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jermain Defoe has confirmed that he is now a free agent following Sunderland's relegation from the Premier League, but insisted that he will do everything he can to help the Black Cats end the campaign on a high, the Shields Gazette reports.
Defoe has arguably been Sunderland's best performer since he arrived at the Stadium of Light, and it is surely fair to say that without his goals, they would have probably been relegated last season or would have gone down a lot sooner this year.
Unfortunately however, his 15 goals have not been enough for David Moyes' men this year as they will definitely be playing Championship football next term, leaving the path clear for Defoe to leave on a free transfer (via Shields Gazette).
And he has now confirmed what has appeared inevitable since their relegation, but promised to try and give supporters something to smile about during the final weeks of the campaign.
We don’t know exactly what is going in but I think it’s well documented, I’m a free agent. It is a difficult situation, it is going to be emotional. You never know in football, I remember when I left Tottenham, it was hard because of the relationship I had with the fans, it was a decision I had to make for football reasons," he said, as reported by the Shields Gazette.
“I went and I came back. For the next three games I’m going to give everything I can and if turns out to be my last home game, I want to show the fans that I appreciate them, every song they’ve sung, every minute they’ve supported the team, all the lads."
While supporters would have enjoyed watching their side win at Hull last time out, there was bound to also be plenty of frustration given that it was only after relegation was confirmed that they managed to register their first win since February.
And for that reason, as well as the fact that the squad seems likely to undergo major surgery in the summer - so few of the players' form is likely to benefit Sunderland beyond this term - it would hardly be a surprise if the Sunderland fans are extremely keen to see this campaign brought to an end as soon as possible - even if that does bring an end to Defoe's spell with the club.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Re: ermain Defoe confirms Sunderland exit this summer; makes a promise to Black Cats supporters

Post  silvers on 2017-05-10, 1:35 pm

It would have been excellent for us if he had given us another year.. but que sera...

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Re: ermain Defoe confirms Sunderland exit this summer; makes a promise to Black Cats supporters

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-05-10, 4:35 pm

silvers wrote:It would have been excellent for us if he had given us another year.. but que sera...

He has a chance albeit a slim chance of getting to the World Cup so he we ts to give it a go....would be good if he stayed but I cannot blame him
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-05-10, 5:00 pm

Good luck to him for me can't and wouldn't blame him when he goes.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-05-10, 10:09 pm

Shame to see him go but he could not find an English club three years ago and ended up in Canada but we could do with him for the fight back.  He has been well rewarded but will he find the wage packet we provided?  Hoping for another WC is unrealistic I reckon as he was a fill in for injured players.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2017-05-11, 12:09 am

sunderpitt wrote:
silvers wrote:It would have been excellent for us if he had given us another year.. but que sera...

He has a chance albeit a slim chance of getting to the World Cup so he we ts to give it a go....would be good if he stayed but I cannot blame him
he has no chance, he only got in through injuries
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum