SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 7:12 am by cretanmakem

» I had a dream
Today at 6:46 am by cyprussyd

» The way forward
Yesterday at 10:14 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 68
Yesterday at 9:34 pm by Nostalgic

» Quiz 69
Yesterday at 9:32 pm by Nostalgic

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Yesterday at 9:30 pm by cyprussyd

» Déjà vu
Yesterday at 9:29 pm by Nostalgic

» Welcome to Norwich!
Yesterday at 8:06 pm by Silvers

» 4.50 Saturday and then
Yesterday at 5:11 pm by sunderpitt

» Grayson out
Yesterday at 2:00 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

canary-dave

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Moyes Old School Ways Dragged Sunderland Over The Edge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moyes Old School Ways Dragged Sunderland Over The Edge

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-30, 12:58 pm

Louise offers a fairly damning verdict on Moyes. Sorry to say I agree with her (although I think its a typo that we regularly get crowds of over 45000) Crying or Very sad

David Moyes’ old-school ways helped to drag ailing Sunderland over the edge
The manager’s strangely dated mindset and transfer failures are in large part to blame for Sunderland’s relegation and there will be few tears if he leaves the job
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
          [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
David Moyes feels let down by his transfer budget at Sunderland but Hull’s recruitment and form under Marco Silva have painted him in a negative light. Photograph: Lee Smith/Reuters  

Sunday 30 April 2017 11.59 BST   Last modified on Sunday 30 April 2017 12.00 BST 

Within hours of becoming Sunderland’s manager last July [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] boarded a privately chartered plane. He and the team were bound for a French training camp but an ominous grinding noise from the engines and slightly tense looks exchanged among the cabin crew soon confirmed they would be making a detour.
Engine failure had prompted an awkward emergency landing. With the benefit of hindsight, it seemed an ominously emblematic portent of an impending season destined to conclude with the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Moyes’s carefully burnished reputation in ruins.

The harbingers of trouble ahead did not end there. About to touch down at a small Austrian airport before a pre-season friendly, Sunderland’s plane subsequently endured a further drama. With a safe landing deemed impossible, the engines throttled ferociously, the aircraft’s noise pitched violently upwards and a shaken Moyes realised they were, in aviation parlance, “going round”, in other words taking off again.
Although it set lights flashing and alarms buzzing while briefly electrifying the atmosphere in the air traffic control tower, the pilot landed at the second attempt and always seemed to have a potentially high-risk situation under control. In sharp contrast, Sunderland’s manager never really had a grip on a toxic Wearside inheritance.
With relegation confirmed by Saturday’s [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Moyes has dropped [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with the club and, if so, there will be few tears. The former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad manager may be only 54 but his strangely dated mindset has arguably exacerbated Sunderland’s long-standing stasis.
If, off the pitch, his observations that two of his African players, Papy Djilobodji and Didier Ndong, required more “Britishness” in their football jarred, on it, Sunderland’s tactics have frequently seemed somewhat binary for a division filled with kaleidoscopic positional rotation and ever shifting systems. Some players reputedly found training slightly old-fashioned.
The impression this may be a man stuck in his ways and reluctant to challenge received wisdoms was reinforced when Moyes claimed teams “don’t win things” with back threes.
Further question marks appeared when a manager who spent £30m last summer set about signing several players he had previously worked with at Everton and Manchester United, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Having failed to properly address the squad’s chronic lack of pace and creativity, Sunderland’s seventh manager in five turbulent years consistently sidelined the gifted Wahbi Khazri, a playmaking success under Sam Allardyce last spring.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] fans cannot comprehend why Allardyce’s successor failed to acquire the former France midfielder Yann M’Vila, outstanding on loan last season, and available for £7m from Rubin Kazan but, Moyes was fast discovering that, to echo Kevin Keegan, the job “wasn’t like it said in the brochure”.
If he possibly did not fight hard enough for M’Vila, Sunderland’s dismal performances in recent months should be assessed in the context of some significant managerial mitigating factors.
Last July Moyes was unaware that Ellis Short, the owner and a man initially [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at the fifth attempt, hoped to sell the club. Neither did he appreciate the scale of the debt - currently £110m with wages representing an alarming 78% of turnover.
The sidelining of Wahbi Khazri has arguably cost Sunderland, who can expect to lose Jermain Defoe, right, for nothing this summer. Photograph: Richard Sellers/PA  
After winning a series of gruelling relegation battles Sunderland were an established bottom-five Premier League club shouldering a top-10 wage bill. Had Allardyce, highly impressive on Wearside last season when his sports science regimen raised fitness levels dramatically, not been lured away to, very briefly, coach England he might conceivably have broken this cycle of struggle. Yet well before his departure, the current Crystal Palace manager’s relationship with Short had become severely strained, with the transfer budget a sore point.
Privately Moyes – who considered resigning last autumn – feels similarly let down. His critics, meanwhile, argue his limitations, particularly in the recruitment sphere, have been horribly exposed by Hull City’s Marco Silva. The Portuguese, after taking over in January and immediately selling his two best players, Robert Snodgrass and Jake Livermore, for a combined £20m, revitalised the club courtesy of seven eclectic imports, five on loan.
Whereas Hull recruited cleverly Sunderland have bought very badly in recent years, with only four of their past 47 signings sold on for a profit. Short has acknowledged this in a written apology to supporters.

Sunderland relegated from Premier League after defeat by Bournemouth

It dictates that, despite crowds frequently in excess of 45,000 and a very well-appointed training facility – Allardyce said it was the best he had worked at – Sunderland and success have long been strangers.
Whoever is in charge next season will preside over radical change in an unforgiving Championship. With nine senior professionals, including Jan Kirchhoff, John O’Shea and Seb Larsson, out of contract in June a squad overhaul beckons.
A clause in Jermain Defoe’s contract permits the England striker to depart for free but Jordan Pickford’s excellent goalkeeping, featuring some brilliant footwork, will prompt a high-price transfer and the centre-half Lamine Koné should also command a decent fee.
Talented as that trio are few disagree with Moyes’s oft-repeated assertion that, collectively, the squad is “limited”. Whether he should have begun prophesying a relegation battle as early as last August is rather more debatable.
The suspicion is that, somewhere between Stretford and San Sebastián, he had lost his old drive, with a certain misplaced complacency filling the gap.
By Saturday evening shock set in as a suddenly chastened manager, his voice barely audible, said “sorry” to Sunderland fans before explaining he would meet with Short and resolve his future in the coming days.
“It’s not nice and I feel worse because I’ve let people down, that’s the disappointment,” said Moyes. “But a lot of good managers have been relegated. I’ll use it as something to motivate myself with.”

Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: Moyes Old School Ways Dragged Sunderland Over The Edge

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-04-30, 1:07 pm

Agree to a certain evtent H but, it has been an accumulation of 5 years of poor investments and even worse decision making from the top. Couple that with managers who IMO were here to get sacked and collect their compo and we were destined to go down.
talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-04-30, 1:40 pm

Yep LT as usual is spot on but Talc has a point too.

Moyes had injuries and a small(ish) transfer budget (which admittedly he did not use well). He also seems very hang dog or dour, perhaps he did motivate the players but it was never very evident on the pitch, as he looked most of the time as if he did not want to be there.

Personally I am not too bothered if he stays or goes. ATM I do not expect us to bounce back straight away...but I live in hope
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-04-30, 10:01 pm

All she has done is put the boot in where it is not needed other than to sell papers.  Khazri a "gifted player", when clearly overweight and possibly unfit. Watmore got the nod ahead of him, but I notice our rolling loss of injured players was not mentioned either.

Let's face it we are now in open season for journalist to write what they want. If Moyes does decide to bail then good luck to him as not many could have done much with us either.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-04-30, 10:29 pm

With such limited resources this year it is debatable whether anyone could have saved us.

But we need a manager with great resolve for next season.

I think DM has been demoralised for months now. It wouldn't surpise me if he did walk.  But if he does walk, hopefully it will be before the season starts !!
Shocked
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-05-01, 12:11 am

silvers wrote:With such limited resources this year it is debatable whether anyone could have saved us.

But we need a manager with great resolve for next season.

I think DM has been demoralised for months now. It wouldn't surpise me if he did walk.  But if he does walk, hopefully it will be before the season starts !!
Shocked

A positive manager installing confidence whose open to ideas such as SA might have just had a better chance possibly?

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-05-01, 7:54 am

Moyes may or may not be the man for the job but imo he has not had a fair crack of the whip, thrust into a job with only three weeks before the transfer deadline and expecting him to find quality premiership standard players to sign was  pathetic.
Injuries have hampered things massively. Short not releasing funds in Jan killed any chance of survival but I don't blame him as our debt (the big killer) will have to be addressed and will hamper a quick return to the prem. Moyes well give him a season and assess, a team of his building and down to him, I don't expect big money spent and hence a mid table finish next season.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-05-01, 10:33 am

I agree, the owner will seek assurances from his manager that all will be well before investing as little as possible..
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum