Yesterday at 6:05 pm by Vincemac

» Possible new striker
Yesterday at 5:32 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 51
Yesterday at 5:26 pm by cyprussyd

» Quiz 52
Yesterday at 5:04 pm by MrRAWhite

Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The Moyes speculation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Moyes speculation

Post  vinkel on 2017-04-28, 7:04 pm

If Short doesn't back Moyes 100% i won't be back to the SOL until he's gone.

National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Moyes speculation

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-28, 7:10 pm

Whyat if

Moyes goes
new man brought in
We start winning and looking like promotion
No grand gestures from me

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-04-28, 7:18 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Whyat if

Moyes goes
new man brought in
How the hell can we have a long term plan with this trigger happy yank cowboy.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-28, 7:19 pm

vinkel wrote:

Moyes goes
new man brought in
where did I say long term plan

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-04-28, 8:03 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
vinkel wrote:

Moyes goes
new man brought in

You didn't, but it's what's needed.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-28, 9:36 pm

vinkel wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
vinkel wrote:

Moyes goes
new man brought in

You didn't, but it's what's needed.
Moyes said the end of the season would be time to talk about his future but continued to assert the important of turning around Sunderland's fortunes in the long-term. He said: "Everyone is aware of the problems at the club. I’ve said today, all decisions will be taken at the end of the season, we’ll look at things, there’s certainly a building programme in place here now and there needs to be.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-04-28, 10:27 pm

I have renewed and although not happy its my club not these short (no pun intended)termers who flit in an out. 

I'm not happy with Moyes but its just possible, unlikely, that this may have been the plan. We have a huge clearout Moyes gets all the bairns in who he wants and starts building a team where we have pace, younguns willing to at least give 100% and a repeat of what he did at Everton. Although not ideal in 2/3 seasons time we come up a lot better prepared.

I can hope anyway.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-04-29, 8:55 am

Sounds like a plan Gil I'll go for that as we won't get rid unless we lose our first few games next season.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-29, 10:36 am

Found this article from Liverpool Echo back in February, to perhaps cheer those who think Moyes is the man to break the cycle of doom here at Sunderland.

My thoughts are that all this wonderful work was done 10-15 years ago now, and the Premier League is a much different place since the mega money came into the game over the last 5 years. And, despite all this praise, he still actually won NOTHING!

Maybe he was the right man for us 10 years ago, but I don't feel he is now, as he does not seem to have developed as a coach and manager, as far as I can see. I accept he had poor players to work with here, and terrible injuries. But I go back to how Sam managed last season with many of these same players. Got enough games out of Cattermole and Kirchoff to make a difference; got Kone motivated, even if it was only with the promise of money; rejuvenated Defoe, who has now lost his mojo under this negative regime; and played Khazri, whose absence until last few games has been a mystery to many of our fans. Moyes also let Kaboul and PVA go, when they may have been the difference between staying up and our relegation. Etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, it's pointless speculating 'what if?' now. I want to believe David Moyes can do all the things this article says he can. But I just cannot see it. I really hope I am proved wrong though, for the sake of the club and the supporters who deserve so much better Crying or Very sad

So what did David Moyes ever do for Everton?

Ahead of his return on Saturday, a look at David Moyes' Everton tenure

By David Prentice

• 05:00, 24 FEB 2017
  • Updated 09:18, 24 FEB 2017

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
So what did David Moyes ever do for us?

“What have The Romans ever done for us?”
John Cleese didn’t receive quite the response he expected when he posed that question in Monty Python’s comedy classic, Life of Brian.
"Better sanitation. And medicine. And education. Irrigation obviously. And public health. Of course the roads. A freshwater system and baths and public order...”
Yes, yes, but apart from all of that, what did the Romans ever really do?
Well, nothing.

David Moyes infamously won nothing during his 12-year spell in charge of Everton - and on the only occasion he returned to Goodison Park, as Manchester United manager in April 2014, he was not warmly received.
But what did David Moyes ever do for Everton?
Before his comeback with Sunderland this afternoon, we take a Romanesque look.

He restored lost pride

Everton’s Premier League positions in the six seasons prior to David Moyes’ arrival as manager had been wretched.
Indeed in the decade before he was appointed Everton manager the Blues had managed one single top half finish, in 1996 under Joe Royle.
In the decade which followed his appointment he reversed that trend spectacularly.
The 17th place finish in 2004 was the only time his teams finished outside of the top 11.
From two skin of the teeth relegation escapes in 1994 and 1998 - and successive finishes of 15th, 17th, 14th, 13th, 16th and 15th - Moyes guided Everton to seventh, 17th, fourth, 11th, sixth, fifth, fifth, eighth, seventh, seventh, sixth and fifth.
He gave a club back its pride.

He introduced a successful transfer policy

Walter Smith had turned to experience in a bid to restore Everton’s fading fortunes in the noughties.
But players like David Ginola, Jesper Blomqvist and Paul Gascoigne were as faded as the club they joined.
Moyes was more imaginative. After mixed experiments with Rodrigo from Brazil and Li Tie and Li Wei Feng from China, he successfully trawled the lower leagues in England, Ireland and Scotland for rough diamonds.
Tim Cahill, Mikel Arteta, Joleon Lescott and Seamus Coleman were inspired deals.
And when he did shop for experienced stars, driven individuals like Nigel Martyn and Phil Neville showed they still had the hunger to prove a point.
Moyes in his first game as Everton manager  

He connected with the fans

Yes really. Fans who mocked and catcalled after his bids to take Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini to Old Trafford on the cheap, had only months earlier given him a rapturous send off in his final Goodison game as Blues boss against West Ham.
At his introductory press conference 12-years earlier he had tapped into Evertonian consciousness - and irritated Liverpudlians - when he referred to his new charges as The People’s Club of Merseyside.
He had red hair but Blues fans didn’t care.

He finished fourth

Before Leicester City the Premier League was described as having a glass ceiling, a barrier that clubs outside of the usual Champions League qualifiers couldn’t crash through.
Until David Moyes guided Everton to fourth place in 2004.
It was his misfortune that the following season’s draw pitted Everton against one of Spain’s fastest rising sides - Villarreal went on to reach the semi-finals - and a referee brought out of retirement for one last hurrah.
But the fact remains, Everton’s only top four finish in almost 30 years was achieved by Moyes.

He got Everton to a Cup final

The defeat of Manchester United at Wembley in 2009 showed that Evertonians hadn’t forgotten how to celebrate - as the Blues reached a first Cup Final for 14 years.
Ultimately they didn’t have the quality to see off Chelsea in the Cup Final, but for 20 minutes at least they dared to dream following Louis Saha’s record-breaking strike.

He was respected by his peers

David Moyes was named Premier League Manager of the Month 10 times and was LMA Manager of the Year three times during his time at Goodison.

He blooded youth

It is a myth that Moyes mistrusted young players.
Of Everton’s five youngest players in history, four were blooded on his watch - Wayne Rooney, Jose Baxter, Jack Rodwell and James Vaughan.
Moyes was also behind the move to bring the first team and youth squads together on one site while in 2009 Everton had five youth academy products in their playing squad. Only Manchester United had more.

He enjoyed Everton’s biggest derby win for half-a-century

Moyes infamously failed to win a single match at Anfield during his time as Everton manager.
But in September 2006, at Goodison Park, the Blues beat their rivals 3-0.
It’s still Everton’s biggest defeat of their fiercest rivals for half-a-century.
So yes, David Moyes did try to snap up Baines and Fellaini on the cheap - and ended up with no silverware in the trophy cabinet. But he did do plenty for Everton Football Club.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-29, 11:11 am

I know Moyes is far from the favorite person at Sunderland right now and its easy to see why, negative, dour, uninspiring are all easy labels to put on him but we need to remember that he has had one season with crippling injuries and next to no financial support, the main criticism seems to be, he plays his old Everton favorites and he does not play Khazri.

Maybe is old Everton favorites are all he could attract to our miss managed relegation hunting club.
And he played Khazri in the last two games, how did we do?

In truth our problems cant be solved by one player.

Fans are calling for Roy Kean, how did he do at Ipswich?

My view is now a simple one, if he stays I will back him 100%.
If he goes I will back the new man 100%

Moyes is not my first choice but when he was appointed he was many fans first choice, maybe with a full transfer window, little cash but his experience of working with little cash. A good pre season and a freshened up squad we will all be calling for him to be given a new contract.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-04-29, 12:32 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I know Moyes is far from the favorite person at Sunderland right now and its easy to see why, negative, dour, uninspiring are all easy labels to put on him but we need to remember that he has had one season with crippling injuries and next to no financial support, the main criticism seems to be, he plays his old Everton favorites and he does not play Khazri.

Maybe is old Everton favorites are all he could attract to our miss managed relegation hunting club.
And he played Khazri in the last two games, how did we do?

In truth our problems cant be solved by one player.

Fans are calling for Roy Kean, how did he do at Ipswich?

My view is now a simple one, if he stays I will back him 100%.
If he goes I will back the new man 100%

Moyes is not my first choice but when he was appointed he was many fans first choice, maybe with a full transfer window, little cash but his experience of working with little cash. A good pre season and a freshened up squad we will all be calling for him to be given a new contract.
Agree totally.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum