SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd, Vincemac, vinkel

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on Fri 14 Sep - 11:57

Sunderland v FC Porto. Match Day Thread.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sunderland v FC Porto. Match Day Thread.

Post  Kipper on Wed 17 May - 10:32

Good to see a decent amount of support for next year's team - 20,000 got tickets for tonight according to the Echo.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed 17 May - 13:24

TRAVEL ADVICE AHEAD OF PREMIER LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL CUP FINAL
South stand turnstiles will be in operation this evening for the Premier League International Cup final at the Stadium of Light, for fans who have not secured advance tickets. Turnstiles will open from 5.30pm ahead of the 7pm kick off, with food and bar outlets available. Over 20,000 spectators are expected to attend Sunderland under-23’s showcase final against Portuguese giants Porto, and entry points and surrounding roads are expected to be very busy. Car parking at the stadium is available in the blue and green car parks, with spaces allocated on a first come, first served basis.
The Sheepfolds area will also be open as an overflow and accessible parking bays are available to blue badge holders.
Supporters are kindly asked to be mindful of residents if parking in the areas surrounding the stadium.
St Peter’s and the Stadium of Light Metro stations afford easy access and are only a short walk from the stadium. Normal timetables will be operating and further details are available at https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/timetables-stations.
Please note tickets are no longer available online. Fans can collect their ticket from the ticket office at Black Cat House which will be open until 5pm tonight or via the turnstiles from 5.30pm.
Fans securing tickets in advance will also receive a special voucher entitling them to £5 off any purchase of 2016-17 adidas replica kit and training wear in club stores at the Stadium of Light and The Galleries, Washington and online before May 31, 2017*.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nexus
For all public transport information in Tyne and Wear
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed 17 May - 13:57

Our  bus is not leaving until 6, we do actually have some people young enough to still work.

I expect to be in my seat around 6.45 in the west stand, U22, row 21, seat 313.

If you see me, a rather handsome elegant man, just wave.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed 17 May - 13:58

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed 17 May - 14:05

Sunderland under-23s lock horns with Portuguese giants Porto at the Stadium of Light this evening in the club’s first EVER European final (kick-off 7pm).
Last Monday saw the Black Cats end their Premier League 2 campaign in defeat at Reading, however, a late rally from second-year scholars Elliot Embleton and Josh Maja set-up a grandstand finish at the Madjeski Stadium.
Three quick-fire goals from the league’s bottom side handed The Royals full control of the domestic fixture, but spirit, determination and grit from starlets Embleton and Maja gave the Lads more than a just a platform to take into tonight’s showdown.
While last season saw Sunderland push Manchester United all the way for the Premier League 2 title, this campaign has seen Elliott Dickman’s side fair better in the International Cup.
Defeating heavyweights Benfica and PSV Eindhoven in their group, victory over Athletic Club set-up a last four clash at Norwich City, and Joel Asoro applied the match-winning strike to send Sunderland into their first EVER European final.
Tonight’s opponents, meanwhile, Porto have been as impressive, in not even more so in this competition, than Sunderland – conceding just one goal on their way to the final.
A slow start against Liverpool was put to bed when back-to-back victories over German side Wolfsburg and Leicester City saw them advance to the knockout stages.
The Portuguese club made light work of their quarter-final against Manchester United before they held their nerve to defeat Swansea City and reach their second International Cup final, courtesy of Galeno’s strike.
If the match is level after 90 minutes then extra-time and potentially penalties will determine the outcome of the match.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Wed 17 May - 14:17

cyprussyd wrote:Our  bus is not leaving until 6, we do actually have some people young enough to still work.

I expect to be in my seat around 6.45 in the west stand, U22, row 21, seat 313.

If you see me, a rather handsome elegant man, just wave.
I will try and get over to see you, before KO or at half time. We are in the SW corner unfortunately, Row 12 seats 98-99 Block L14 if anyone is close by. Shame the seating plan for tickets only opened up one section at a time, as would have prefered elesewhere!
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on Wed 17 May - 19:33

Meant to be there but finished work late. Bugger.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on Wed 17 May - 20:24

gil t azell wrote:Meant to be there but finished work late. Bugger.
You're missing nowy.
0-5
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on Wed 17 May - 21:51

well done getting to the final, alas outclassed on the night. Best way to lose imo.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed 17 May - 22:00

Porto are some team and in a strange way it was an enjoyable evening.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on Wed 17 May - 22:16

Maybe the difference on how player development features at the two clubs is summed up in this extract of when Eric Dier went through their youth development system:

That notion of keeping the ball, being patient and waiting for your chance, would have been foreign to most English players of a similar age. In Portugal, however, it was as natural as breathing.
“The surfaces that he played on during his younger years also had a tremendous impact on the way he now plays the game,” said the source. “A lot of Sporting’s youth team matches were played on dirt pitches, the sort of surfaces where you would rip half your leg off if you were brave (or stupid) enough to attempt a slide tackle.”
They were the sort of pitches that would doubtlessly elicit an incredulous, and probably expletive-laden response from any Premier League academy youngster. For Dier, though, this was simply the way things were – and it was an environment he thrived in.

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Wed 17 May - 22:40

Nostalgic wrote:Maybe the difference on how player development features at the two clubs is summed up in this extract of when Eric Dier went through their youth development system:

That notion of keeping the ball, being patient and waiting for your chance, would have been foreign to most English players of a similar age. In Portugal, however, it was as natural as breathing.
“The surfaces that he played on during his younger years also had a tremendous impact on the way he now plays the game,” said the source. “A lot of Sporting’s youth team matches were played on dirt pitches, the sort of surfaces where you would rip half your leg off if you were brave (or stupid) enough to attempt a slide tackle.”
They were the sort of pitches that would doubtlessly elicit an incredulous, and probably expletive-laden response from any Premier League academy youngster. For Dier, though, this was simply the way things were – and it was an environment he thrived in.

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yes I read that a while back and it was really interesting.

Mr H and I went tonight and, despite the score, we had a very pleasant evening, with some nice fish and chips at Downeys beforehand and a nice chat to Syd and Jerry and Terrapinic in the ground.

As for the game it was obvious very quickly our lads are miles behind Porto in technical skills but it was great to see so many turn out, including lots of kids, so it was really disappointing to see some idiots trying to start a fight with the dozen Porto supporters. Honestly some people! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Anyway it was good to see most of the crowd applauding the Porto goals, their good play, and their substitutions, showing our sense of fair play has not completely disappeared.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Wed 17 May - 23:05

Elliott Dickman has urged his players to use the disappointment of Wednesday’s Premier League International Cup final defeat to propel themselves to the next level.
20,000 supporters turned out at the Stadium of Light as cup fever gripped Wearside, but an early strike from Galeno set the tone as FC Porto went on to run riot.
By 55 minutes the Portuguese side had secured a 5-0 advantage and despite a battling performance there was no way back for the young Black Cats, as their European adventure ended in disappointment.
And although Dickman admitted his side were outclassed, he hailed his players and the red and white army following an outstanding showing in the Premier League’s elite youth competition.
“The lads have to remember tonight and use it to propel themselves forward in whatever team they play in next season, whether it be with us, with the first team or at another club.
“The fans were great and for us to have what we had here tonight is very unique; the lads need to treasure that and it’s something that will stick with me for the rest of my life, and to have the support we were given is something that we will never forget.
“I thought we started okay in the first few minutes but the first goal sort of killed us, but that said they’re a good side,” continued Dickman.
“Without the ball we need to improve as a team and the lads need to show a better understanding of that, while also learning to love that side of the game.
“With the ball most the of the lads can handle it but to try and progress up the footballing ladder you need to be very good without it as well, but unfortunately tonight we had too many players who weren’t.
“It’s tough to lose as heavily as we have but to be fair to the lads they kept going to the end, so I’m not going to rain on their parade too much because it’s fantastic that they’ve got to a final.”

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on Wed 17 May - 23:18

cyprussyd wrote:Porto are some team and in a strange way it was an enjoyable evening.
yipeee

Good to hear. 
I actually watch the next level down & not the pro team here. Far more enjoyable watching players try knowing they might do it rather than those whom think they can. That said I do get to games when traveling overseas, massive crowds etc with crazy fans particularly in Sth America & Italy/Spain....mad buggers but we love them for the atmosphere....kids letting flares off ON the metro going to San Siro, priceless  lol!

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Wed 17 May - 23:51

hmm travelled a fair way to see that with my kids. Didn't enjoy it that much I must say. I worry for the future although there are some decent players in there and Assoro has lots of skill. I think he can move up to first team level I just worry he'll get knocked about alot in the championship.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu 18 May - 5:25

It was enjoyable to me in a few ways.

The crowd, a few numpties apart, applauding the Porto goals and substitutes.
The relaxed feeling after a stressful season.
The crowd appreciating that the Sunderland team tried, its all we ask.
Enjoying watching a very good Porto team who were a class above Sunderland.
The company of nice people who I had never met before but enjoyed our evening together with a  Very Happy
Hopefully your kids kipper will have learned that not everyone can win but everyone can try.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on Thu 18 May - 5:29

cyprussyd wrote:It was enjoyable to me in a few ways.

The company of nice people who I had never met before but enjoyed our evening together with a  Very Happy
Hopefully your kids kipper will have learned that not everyone can win but everyone can try.

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on Thu 18 May - 7:58

canary-dave wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:It was enjoyable to me in a few ways.

like like .....sorry I had to be a copy cat  Embarassed

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on Thu 18 May - 8:02

I went to the game last night expecting a different brand of football from SAFC but alas it was like watching the first team.
Poor kids got a lesson in passing, hanging on to the ball and movement off the ball.
Man of the match for me was their left wing number 37 black lad with dreds,one to watch out for.
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Thu 18 May - 8:36

I think I'd bigged up some of our young'uns a bit too much to my son but Porto were just better - although my son's claim is that they went down at every opportunity and the ref fell for it.

Yes - their left winger was very good.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Thu 18 May - 11:45

I thought last night this was men vs boys, and in fact it was! The Porto team were basically their B team, who play in the lower leagues in Portugal, whereas ours just play in the 'made up' U23 league in England. The difference was stark and clear.

But one thing that may have come out of last night, apart from how much our coaching and academy system in England needs to be shaken up, was those Porto players were impressed with our crowd and how sporting we were (apart from a few stupid kids), applauding their very good play and when players were substituted. That goodwill will stick, and might come in handy at some point in the future for getting a couple of their players on loan maybe? Or even sending a couple of ours there, which would be fantastic for them.

I had a good night overall, despite the score. Because football is about more than winning, as the pressures of the Premier League sometimes make us forget Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  qxp on Thu 18 May - 13:25

Hi, i'm a Porto fan and my english is NOT that good, but i would like to tell you in the last season we won the 2nd Portuguese league with some of that players, we  have a few good players that your club should at least scout them.

Here's a list (some of them would be really pricy, so you wouldnt probably be able to buy them but, a loan would be great, no?):

Gudiño (Goalkeeper)*
Diogo Costa (Goalkeeper)*
João Costa (Goalkeeper)
Fernando Fonseca (Right Back)*
Diogo Dalot (Right Back)*
Musa Yahaya (Right Back)*
Chidozie (Center Back)*
Diogo Verdasca (Center Back)*
Inácio Santos (Left Back)*
Rui Moreira (Defensive Midfielder)*
Rui Pires (Defensive midfielder)*
Tomás Podstawski (Defensive midfielder)
Omar Govea (Central/Defensive Midfielder)*
Francisco Ramos (Central Midfielder)
João Graça (Central/Attacking Midfielder)
Fede Varela (Central/Attacking Midfielder)*
João Cardoso (Offensive Midfielder)
Kayembe (Right/Left Midfielder)*
Ismael Diaz (Left Midfielder)*
Galeno (Left Midfielder)*
Rui Pedro (Strikers)*

Who has the * in front of them is because they are really good prospects and FC Porto will only sell for high price, but it would loan them and specially to the Premier League I think, the others might be cheaper but they are good as well. All of them are young i think the oldest got 22 years old (Kayembe).

Now here's a list of players that FC Porto would sell quite cheaply, and you should look at them as a excellent market oportunity.

Fabiano (Goalkeeper)
Andrés Fernandes (Goalkeeper)
Abdoulaye Ba (Centre Back)
Martins Indi (Centre Back) I'm not sure if Stoke already bought him.
Diego Reyes (Centre Back) One of the best centre backs in La Liga.
José Angel (Left Back)
Sérgio Oliveira (Central Midfielder)
Juan Quintero (Attacking Midfielder) This is the most influent player in the CONMEBOL LIBERTADORES. Really good prospect
Josué (Attacking Midfielder)
Kélvin (Right Winger)
Hernani (Right Winger)
Moussa Marega (Right Winger)
Zé Manuel (Right Winger)
Sami (Right Winger)
Alberto Bueno (Secondary Striker)
Adrián Lopez (Secondary Striker)
Vincent Aboubakar (Striker)
Suk Hyun-Jun (Striker)
Walter (Striker)

PS : Change the name of your stadium from "Stadium of Lights" to something else, it reminds us of Benfica's Stadium. 
       Good luck going back to the Premier League Very Happy
qxp

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Thu 18 May - 15:37

qxp wrote:Hi, i'm a Porto fan and my english is NOT that good, but i would like to tell you in the last season we won the 2nd Portuguese league with some of that players, we  have a few good players that your club should at least scout them.

Here's a list (some of them would be really pricy, so you wouldnt probably be able to buy them but, a loan would be great, no?):

Gudiño (Goalkeeper)*
João Costa (Goalkeeper)
Chidozie (Center Back)*
Rui Pedro (Strikers)*

Who has the * in front of them is because they are really good prospects and FC Porto will only sell for high price, but it would loan them and specially to the Premier League I think, the others might be cheaper but they are good as well. All of them are young i think the oldest got 22 years old (Kayembe).

Now here's a list of players that FC Porto would sell quite cheaply, and you should look at them as a excellent market oportunity.

Fabiano (Goalkeeper)
José Angel (Left Back)
Juan Quintero (Attacking Midfielder) This is the most influent player in the CONMEBOL LIBERTADORES. Really good prospect
Kélvin (Right Winger)
Hernani (Right Winger)
Zé Manuel (Right Winger)
Sami (Right Winger)
Suk Hyun-Jun (Striker)
Walter (Striker)

PS : Change the name of your stadium from "Stadium of Lights" to something else, it reminds us of Benfica's Stadium. 
QXP - Obrigado... believe me your English is very good and much better than the Portuguese that anyone on here speaks!

Yes I saw this team won the Portuguese second division and you do indeed have some excellent young players. We would be very happy to have some of them here,  but unfortunately I expect they could only come on loan as our club has a lot of debt and not much money to spend.

I hope your players and the supporters who came along enjoyed their time on Wearside and we look forward to playing you one day in the Champions League perhaps (in our wildest dreams!)

Sorry about the Stadium name - it actually refers to the miners lamp, that miners used in the Wearmouth Colliery that used to be where the stadium was built, or maybe also referring to the light above ground that the miners saw when they finished their shift. Actually not many of us liked it when we heard it originally but most of us have got used to it now.

Tenha um bom dia (... with thanks to Google translate!) Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Thu 18 May - 16:03

Hieronymus wrote:
qxp wrote:Hi, i'm a Porto fan and my english is NOT that good, but i would like to tell you in the last season we won the 2nd Portuguese league with some of that players, we  have a few good players that your club should at least scout them.

Gudiño (Goalkeeper)*
João Costa (Goalkeeper)
Chidozie (Center Back)*
Rui Pedro (Strikers)*

Fabiano (Goalkeeper)
José Angel (Left Back)
Kélvin (Right Winger)
Hernani (Right Winger)
Zé Manuel (Right Winger)
Sami (Right Winger)
Suk Hyun-Jun (Striker)
Walter (Striker)

QXP - Obrigado... believe me your English is very good and much better than the Portuguese that anyone on here speaks!

Yes I saw this team won the Portuguese second division and you do indeed have some excellent young players. We would be very happy to have some of them here,  but unfortunately I expect they could only come on loan as our club has a lot of debt and not much money to spend.

I hope your players and the supporters who came along enjoyed their time on Wearside and we look forward to playing you one day in the Champions League perhaps (in our wildest dreams!)

Sorry about the Stadium name - it actually refers to the miners lamp, that miners used in the Wearmouth Colliery that used to be where the stadium was built, or maybe also referring to the light above ground that the miners saw when they finished their shift. Actually not many of us liked it when we heard it originally but most of us have got used to it now.

Olá e bem-vindo

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  qxp on Thu 18 May - 16:45

Hieronymus wrote:

Gudiño (Goalkeeper)*
João Costa (Goalkeeper)
Chidozie (Center Back)*
Rui Pedro (Strikers)*

Fabiano (Goalkeeper)
José Angel (Left Back)
Kélvin (Right Winger)
Hernani (Right Winger)
Zé Manuel (Right Winger)
Sami (Right Winger)
Suk Hyun-Jun (Striker)
Walter (Striker)

Then if you know someone from the staff or a director or even the chairman.

Tell them to scout, and maybe try a loan:
Gudiño
Fernando Fonseca (not sure if he will be promoted to the first team)
Verdasca (not sure if he will be promoted to the first team)
Chidozie (not sure if he will be promoted to the first team)
Rui Moreira
Fede Varela
Omar Govea
Ismael Diaz (he was injured this season, but he is a beast)
Galeno (He will be in the pre-season in the first team)
Kayembe (He will be in the pre-season in the first team)

I am sure if you got them all in your squad you would be promoted, you need a good manager as well, if Carvalhal got fired from Sheffield it would be my tip, or Nuno Manta from Feirense, Pedro Martins from Vitoria Sport Clube.

Nuno Manta is a sensation here in Portugal, he was the Goalkeeper coach, and in mid-season he took charge as Manager because bad results, and he went from last place to 9th with the worst squad in portuguese league with an attacking actractive football.
qxp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum