SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd, talcnturnip, vinkel

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

Probably why all us crazies still follow the lads.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Probably why all us crazies still follow the lads.

Post  barrowmackem on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

The bottom bit highlighted sums it all up instantly for me.

I am an American, born and raised in the south-eastern United States where soccer is still considered a communist sport by many people. When I latched on to football in my early teens it was a lonely passion for the first few years. Professional soccer clubs did not exist anywhere close to my hometown so I was a bit of a wandering fan looking for a club I could support.
Around 12 years ago the only connection I had to a team was a friend from London who was a Chelsea supporter. In those days, the only matches shown on television where I’m from were Champions League matches, so I began to follow Chelsea. For a few years, Chelsea were one of the very few teams I was able to watch on television, and I was lucky if just one of the matches was televised per month. I watched Chelsea win the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, and come with a John Terry penalty of winning the Champions League. I wanted more though.
I began to search again. I knew my great grandparents had emigrated from England around 100 years ago, so I went to my Mother to find out exactly where my family once lived hoping that it was close to a club I could support. She told me her great grandparents came to the United States from Houghton-le-Spring where my great Grandfather was a coal miner. I immediately looked this town up on the internet to discover it’s just down the road from a city named Sunderland. Well, I knew Sunderland had a club in the Premier League so I did my research and read all I could about the club’s history. Then came one of my favorite memories as a football fan, I found a home.

The Stadium of Light, the Davy lamp outside the ground, the colliery wheel on the badge and even the location where the stadium was built are all tributes to people like my great Grandfather. I had found a team that I have a real connection with, and I am lucky enough that this club is one of the greatest clubs in the history of English football. Reading anything I could find about the history of Sunderland, the Roker Roar and the many league and FA Cup winning sides, became a passionate hobby I still indulge today. I learned that Sunderland is a prestigious club with all the potential in the world to climb to the top again with the history to show for it and I fell in love.
My passion for the game of football grew to become a major part of my life. I have played competitively and recreationally for many years. Eventually, football became a career for me when I was able to work alongside a few individuals to build our own small, professional club in my home state of Alabama, the Birmingham Hammers. I was lucky enough to spend two years working for Orlando City SC during its first two seasons in Major League Soccer where I always had my Sunderland scarf displayed on my desk. Though I have developed new connections to professional clubs I have been a part of over the years, Sunderland has always been my home club.
Over the last eight years I have watched Sunderland have the League Cup in their grasp, miraculously escape certain relegation on more than one occasion, and win six consecutive Tyne-Wear Derbies. While Sunderland have overall struggled to maintain consistent good performances, there have been some spectacular matches that are unforgettable. Ji Dong Won’s late winner at home against Manchester City. Fabio Borini’s belter to beat Newcastle at the death. Beating Chelsea at the Stadium of Light in the quarter-final of the Capital One Cup, and then winning on penalties at Manchester United. The away win at Chelsea during the great escape under Gus Poyet. Jermaine Defoe’s pristine volley to be Newcastle, again. Finally, I will be visiting England for the first time this August, and I hope to see a new stunner like these in person on Wearside.

Sunderland is not always the easiest club to love based purely on results, but results are not why I love Sunderland. I love Sunderland because of what the club represents, it’s where my ancestors lived and worked in the mines, the club’s storied history, the passionate support of its fans, the beautiful Stadium of Light and the legend of the Roker Roar. I love Sunderland AFC because if you have to ask, you just wouldn’t understand.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably why all us crazies still follow the lads.

Post  cyprussyd on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:17 pm

yep, I don't think I could give you a footballing reason why I keep going, I just do and fully accept any of the following..

• INSANE
  • CRAZY
  • MAD
  • DELUDED
  • FOOLISH
  • ADDICTED
  • HOOKED
  • FOOL
  • SILLY
  • EVER HOPEFUL
  • RELIGIOUS SUBSTITUTE
  • ANO

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Great post and so true Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 pm

APPL Good post BM.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm

i just presumed You lived in Barrow in Furness!
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Lovely post and a great summing up.  As a kid the only way to see top football was to go to the ground and me and my late brother did this week in and out at Roker and SJP. I was Sunderland and he was Newcastle when we replayed the action from the games as best we could but we learned more listening to the "old" guys who had their opinions about each game. They were the only pundits around at the time and their match reports gradually turned out to be a sight better than the ones in the papers.

I watch the current bunch analyse the games to death from half a dozen angles, I just wish they would get down to pitch level and see it from that perspective then make up his mind for him.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:11 am

Kipper wrote:i just presumed You lived in Barrow in Furness!
ha ha

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:18 am

well think most have accepted relegation, but we will all be cheering the team on again next season wont we, its just what we do. like

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:14 am

barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha
I think that was serious Very Happy Where did that article come from? I was interested because my ex-husband's great-great-grandparents also emigrated to Alabama to work in the mines (from Camperdown Northumberland) and also lived near Birmingham Alabama. We visited them once in 1983 and they came here to visit and it was fascinating hearing about the family history.

I actually became a Sunderland fan through my ex-husband, who was also born in Camperdown (his family lived there for generations) even though that was north of the Tyne. He became a Sunderland supporter because like many he went to Roker Park one week and SJP the nexta sthat was back in the days when football was only to be found live. He stopped going to Newcastle around 1970, when he was knifed in the face by a thug, when he was innocently standing at a bus stop in the Haymarket trying to get home after a match ! He has never much liked Newcastle ever since, unsurprisingly tongue
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha
I think that was serious Very Happy Where did that article come from? I was interested because my ex-husband's great-great-grandparents also emigrated to Alabama to work in the mines (from Camperdown Northumberland) and also lived near Birmingham Alabama. We visited them once in 1983 and they came here to visit and it was fascinating hearing about the family history.

I actually became a Sunderland fan through my ex-husband, who was also born in Camperdown (his family lived there for generations) even though that was north of the Tyne. He became a Sunderland supporter because like many he went to Roker Park one week and SJP the nexta sthat was back in the days when football was only to be found live. He stopped going to Newcastle around 1970, when he was knifed in the face by a thug, when he was innocently standing at a bus stop in the Haymarket trying to get home after a match ! He has never much liked Newcastle ever since, unsurprisingly tongue
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] like

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha

You're probably related  geek

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha

You're probably related  geek
If you have ever been to Alabama you would soon realise EVERYBODY there is related Laughing
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote: You're probably related  geek
If you have ever been to Alabama you would soon realise EVERYBODY there is related Laughing

Our beach place has the same problem with the locals who tend to be a little feral  Razz

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:29 am

Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha

Yes I was serious. As for me, I'm not entirely sure how i became a Sunderland supporter. I was born and bred in Norfolk but never really got into Norwich. I have family from Sunderland and Newcastle with a dad an grandad who used to go to Newcastle one week then Sunderland the next. Never liked Newcastle though. I've got an Aunt from Sunderland who's an ardent Norwich fan and a season ticket holder of many years. A wife
from Sunderland who doesn't like football but seems to favour Norwich to wind me up. We're a weird family.My first match was Norwich v Sunderland. Just seemed to get into them and have ensured my son continues the passion.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 am

barrowmackem wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] like
Cheers barrowmackem Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:35 am

Kipper wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha

Yes I was serious. As for me, I'm not entirely sure how i became  a Sunderland supporter. I was born and bred in Norfolk but never really got into Norwich. I have family from Sunderland and Newcastle with a dad an  grandad  who used to go to Newcastle one week then Sunderland the next. Never liked Newcastle though. I've got an Aunt from Sunderland who's an ardent Norwich fan and a season ticket holder of many years. A wife
from Sunderland who doesn't like football but seems  to favour Norwich to wind me up. We're a weird family.My first match was Norwich v  Sunderland. Just seemed to get into them and have ensured my son continues the passion.
Interesting that a few posters have links to Norwich with our two clubs sharing a lot of history Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:20 am

Hieronymus wrote:
Kipper wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
barrowmackem wrote:
ha ha

Yes I was serious. As for me, I'm not entirely sure how i became  a Sunderland supporter. I was born and bred in Norfolk but never really got into Norwich. I have family from Sunderland and Newcastle with a dad an  grandad  who used to go to Newcastle one week then Sunderland the next. Never liked Newcastle though. I've got an Aunt from Sunderland who's an ardent Norwich fan and a season ticket holder of many years. A wife
from Sunderland who doesn't like football but seems  to favour Norwich to wind me up. We're a weird family.My first match was Norwich v  Sunderland. Just seemed to get into them and have ensured my son continues the passion.
Interesting that a few posters have links to Norwich with our two clubs sharing a lot of history Very Happy
Hardly surprising with the amount of in breeding down there

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum