SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Mr H will be delighted
Today at 8:23 am by talcnturnip

» Grayson out
Today at 8:02 am by cyprussyd

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Today at 7:33 am by cyprussyd

» Some good news
Yesterday at 7:42 pm by cyprussyd

» Universal Credit
Yesterday at 7:30 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland v Bristol City/Bolton
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by sunderpitt

» word is
Yesterday at 6:51 pm by talcnturnip

» Corbyn in Brussels.
Yesterday at 6:18 pm by Silvers

» Tina anybody?
Yesterday at 2:16 pm by cyprussyd

» Big pants
Yesterday at 1:49 pm by gil t azell

Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 2 Bots

cyprussyd, Jerry the Jinx

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

General Election

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Election

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-22, 10:48 pm

Corbyn with his comrades.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

I really don't know how any British citizen could vote for this piece of shit.

Scruffy filth.
Good thing is, in that top photo, a ginger c**t is now dead.
And so is a fat fenian bitch, took out by my old unit. Go on 2 Para.
Just sorry I wasn't part of it. Slag.
NULL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-23, 5:14 pm

FROM SKY?? 
Dozens of UK economists - including a former Bank of England adviser - have indicated they are publicly backing the policies of Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn.
In a significant boost to Mr Corbyn's campaign, more than 40 economists have reportedly added their signatures to a letter in the Observer dismissing claims the Islington North MP is "extreme".
Instead, they argue that Mr Corbyn's opposition to austerity is "actually mainstream economics".

An ex-BoE adviser is among the signatories to a letter dismissing claims Jeremy Corbyn is on the extreme left of economic policy.
NEWS.SKY.COM
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-23, 5:31 pm

cyprussyd wrote:FROM SKY?? 
Dozens of UK economists - including a former Bank of England adviser - have indicated they are publicly backing the policies of Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn.
In a significant boost to Mr Corbyn's campaign, more than 40 economists have reportedly added their signatures to a letter in the Observer dismissing claims the Islington North MP is "extreme".
Instead, they argue that Mr Corbyn's opposition to austerity is "actually mainstream economics".

An ex-BoE adviser is among the signatories to a letter dismissing claims Jeremy Corbyn is on the extreme left of economic policy.
NEWS.SKY.COM
This was published before his first leadership election, but all quietly forgotten by the MSM as it does not fit the right wing narrative of Corbyn being the next worst thing to Stalin. I mean why let facts get in the way of good old establishment prejudices eh? Mad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-23, 7:23 pm

Wor Jezza seems to have a liking for terrorist groups.
Let's see what the country thinks.
He'll not win.
The Sun newspaper will see to it like they did with Kinnock.
Effing maggot, don't want to be accused of being foul mouthed you know.

And not a single one of you have answered my question.
Because you can't, there isn't a single example.
Heads in the sand, ignore the truth.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-24, 10:27 am

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-24, 10:37 am

cyprussyd wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Still cant answer the question can you?
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-24, 2:23 pm

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-04-24, 3:12 pm

So tis the Tories fault eh ?

I thought our Govt were just EU puppets ??

Cool
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-24, 3:31 pm

Billy D wrote:
Billy it is quite difficult to define what a 'successful' council is, but I have a spare hour so here goes!

I call it successful if: bins get emptied; recycling is encouraged; children have decent local schools to go to; social services keep the vulnerable old and young safe; parks, libraries and leisure centres are open aand well used; commercial and industrial enterprises are incentivised to trade and employ people from local towns and villages; births, marriages and deaths get registered; visitors are attracted and keep coming back; and your local roads have streetlights, get swept and the gulleys cleaned out, amongst many other things.

Are you saying your town does not have all of that? If not maybe it's not all the councils fault. Council tax receipts go to central government and they dole out what they feel your council needs to deliver services. The "local government finance settlements' have on average reduced by 40% since 2010, and local Labour councils have worked hard to mitigate the effects of Tory cuts over the last 7 years, as these have fallen hardest on post-industrial towns and citiies, and rural and coastal areas, like we have here in the North East.

Yes there are always a few councillors (as in all walks of life) that take the p***, having worked in local government I have seen them and they made my skin crawl. But the voters have the opportunity every few years to turf them out and in my experience, most councillors I came across were hard working and committed to doing the best they could for their communities.

So, not all of the recent decline is down to incompetent councils but, yes much more should have been done during the New Labour years, so I understand the feelings of abandonment and anger against Labour by many like yourself. I feel it too! 1997 gave Labour a huge mandate to be radical - to build council houses, to renationaise rail, water and energy, to invest in renewables and repay the faith of those of us in the North who suffered most under Thatcher. But they didn't, preferring to kowtow to the media barons, the banks and global corporations, and following the path set by Thatcher herself.

I was so angry and disillusioned that I left the Labour party after Iraq was invaded, and only rejoined when Blair was gone, but I could never, not for one minute, have ever voted Tory in protest.

At least now Labour are offering a genuine choice, and actively looking to repair the damage done by New Labour and the Tories. They are far from perfect, no one can see that more clearly than me, but when the alternative is more Tory austerity, hitting the poor, the old, the young, the sick, the homeless, the vulnerable as well as millions of ordinary wokring men and women and their families, why is that not enough for so many? I really can't understand it, why cut your nose off to spite your face?
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-04-24, 6:02 pm

sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-24, 6:11 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:
Billy it is quite difficult to define what a 'successful' council is, but I have a spare hour so here goes!

I call it successful if: bins get emptied; recycling is encouraged; children have decent local schools to go to; social services keep the vulnerable old and young safe; parks, libraries and leisure centres are open aand well used; commercial and industrial enterprises are incentivised to trade and employ people from local towns and villages; births, marriages and deaths get registered; visitors are attracted and keep coming back; and your local roads have streetlights, get swept and the gulleys cleaned out, amongst many other things.

Are you saying your town does not have all of that? If not maybe it's not all the councils fault. Council tax receipts go to central government and they dole out what they feel your council needs to deliver services. The "local government finance settlements' have on average reduced by 40% since 2010, and local Labour councils have worked hard to mitigate the effects of Tory cuts over the last 7 years, as these have fallen hardest on post-industrial towns and citiies, and rural and coastal areas, like we have here in the North East.

Yes there are always a few councillors (as in all walks of life) that take the p***, having worked in local government I have seen them and they made my skin crawl. But the voters have the opportunity every few years to turf them out and in my experience, most councillors I came across were hard working and committed to doing the best they could for their communities.

So, not all of the recent decline is down to incompetent councils but, yes much more should have been done during the New Labour years, so I understand the feelings of abandonment and anger against Labour by many like yourself. I feel it too! 1997 gave Labour a huge mandate to be radical - to build council houses, to renationaise rail, water and energy, to invest in renewables and repay the faith of those of us in the North who suffered most under Thatcher. But they didn't, preferring to kowtow to the media barons, the banks and global corporations, and following the path set by Thatcher herself.

I was so angry and disillusioned that I left the Labour party after Iraq was invaded, and only rejoined when Blair was gone, but I could never, not for one minute, have ever voted Tory in protest.

At least now Labour are offering a genuine choice, and actively looking to repair the damage done by New Labour and the Tories. They are far from perfect, no one can see that more clearly than me, but when the alternative is more Tory austerity, hitting the poor, the old, the young, the sick, the homeless, the vulnerable as well as millions of ordinary wokring men and women and their families, why is that not enough for so many? I really can't understand it, why cut your nose off to spite your face?
Aye, ok.
What about his penchant for terrorists then?
Do you agree with that?
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-04-24, 6:22 pm

Billy, he does NOT have a penchant for terrorists, you are listening to the biased right media of Murdoch and Co. instead of listening to Corbyn.

Corbyn prefers "jaw jaw" to "war war!" A sentiment shared by Winston Churchill, would you call HIM a terrorist lover?

Listen to what Corbyn says, not what Murdoch and his cronies will have you believe he said!

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-24, 6:28 pm

canary-dave wrote:Billy, he does NOT have a penchant for terrorists, you are listening to the biased right media of Murdoch and Co. instead of listening to Corbyn.

Corbyn prefers "jaw jaw" to "war war!" A sentiment shared by Winston Churchill, would you call HIM a terrorist lover?

Listen to what Corbyn says, not what Murdoch and his cronies will have you believe he said!
Well I think he does & imo he's a cnut.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-24, 9:38 pm

Children Are Being Poisoned Now!’ Fury As Tories Delay Publishing Air Quality Plan

The Government had five months to produce the plan

24/04/2017 17:12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Deputy Political Editor[/size]

PA WIRE/PA IMAGES

Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom

[size=14]The Tories were today accused of allowing children and pregnant women to be poisoned by toxic fumes by refusing to publish a long-awaited plan to improve air quality.

Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom this afternoon told MPs her proposals for tackling nitrogen dioxide levels would not released until after the election – despite the Government being ordered by the High Court to publish it by 4pm this afternoon.
Leadsom claimed the plan has been written, but was being held back as it would breach rules on Government activity – known as purdah – in the run up to the local and general election.
[/size]

The High Court ruled in November the Government’s plan for tackling air pollution – which is believed to be responsible for 40,000 unexplained deaths a year – was so bad it was actually illegal.
Despite being ordered to draft a new plan five months ago, the Government left it until last Friday to lodge a request for an extension until June 30 with the High Court.
Speaking in the Commons this afternoon in response to an urgent question from Labour, Leadsom said: “In accordance with the guidance covering both the local and general elections, the propriety and ethics team in the Cabinet Office have told us it would not be appropriate to launch the consultation and launch the air quality plan during this time.”

Labour MP for Huddersfield, Barry Sheerman

Labour MP Barry Sheerman was furious with the delay, and said: “Children are being poisoned now…pregnant women are being poisoned now, pedestrians and cyclists are being poisoned and she is bringing some obscure mention about purdah to stop us doing something about it.”
Fellow Labour MP Fiona Mactaggart was equally angry, and said: “At the present rate there will be seven more dead people in [my constituency of] Slough by the date that she publishes this air quality plan.
“The whole point of purdah is that you shouldn’t make announcements unless they are significant in terms of urgent health issues.
“Isn’t this an urgent health issue? And what is she going to say to the families of those seven people who will die before she even publishes?”
Before Leadsom could answer, Environment Minister Therese Coffey shouted in response: “You’re embarrassing yourself now, dear.”

Therese Coffey (Left) and Andrea Leadsom

Leadsom agreed that poor air quality “is a public health issue” and added: “We will ensure a short delay to the timetable will not result in a delay in the implementation of the plan.”
Environmental law group ClientEarth, who took the Government to the High Court in December, today said it was considering its next move in response to the delay.
Chief Executive James Thornton said: “This is a question of public health and not of politics and for that reason we believe that the plans should be put in place without delay.
“Whichever party ends up in power after the June the 8th will need this Air Quality Plan to begin finally to tackle our illegal levels of pollution and prevent further illness and early deaths from poisonous toxins in the air we breathe. The government has had five months to draft this plan and it should be published.”
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Research published by Greenpeace earlier this month revealed more than 2,000 schools and nurseries are near roads with damaging levels of diesel fumes.
The upper legal limit for nitrogen dioxide is 40 micrograms per cubic metre, but a nursery in Tower Hamlets, East London, had a reading of 118.19mcg/m3 – almost three times the limit.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-24, 11:05 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Children Are Being Poisoned Now!’ Fury As Tories Delay Publishing Air Quality Plan

The Government had five months to produce the plan

24/04/2017 17:12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Deputy Political Editor[/size]

PA WIRE/PA IMAGES

Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom

[size=14]The Tories were today accused of allowing children and pregnant women to be poisoned by toxic fumes by refusing to publish a long-awaited plan to improve air quality.

Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom this afternoon told MPs her proposals for tackling nitrogen dioxide levels would not released until after the election – despite the Government being ordered by the High Court to publish it by 4pm this afternoon.
Leadsom claimed the plan has been written, but was being held back as it would breach rules on Government activity – known as purdah – in the run up to the local and general election.
[/size]

The High Court ruled in November the Government’s plan for tackling air pollution – which is believed to be responsible for 40,000 unexplained deaths a year – was so bad it was actually illegal.
Despite being ordered to draft a new plan five months ago, the Government left it until last Friday to lodge a request for an extension until June 30 with the High Court.
Speaking in the Commons this afternoon in response to an urgent question from Labour, Leadsom said: “In accordance with the guidance covering both the local and general elections, the propriety and ethics team in the Cabinet Office have told us it would not be appropriate to launch the consultation and launch the air quality plan during this time.”

Labour MP for Huddersfield, Barry Sheerman

Labour MP Barry Sheerman was furious with the delay, and said: “Children are being poisoned now…pregnant women are being poisoned now, pedestrians and cyclists are being poisoned and she is bringing some obscure mention about purdah to stop us doing something about it.”
Fellow Labour MP Fiona Mactaggart was equally angry, and said: “At the present rate there will be seven more dead people in [my constituency of] Slough by the date that she publishes this air quality plan.
“The whole point of purdah is that you shouldn’t make announcements unless they are significant in terms of urgent health issues.
“Isn’t this an urgent health issue? And what is she going to say to the families of those seven people who will die before she even publishes?”
Before Leadsom could answer, Environment Minister Therese Coffey shouted in response: “You’re embarrassing yourself now, dear.”

Therese Coffey (Left) and Andrea Leadsom

Leadsom agreed that poor air quality “is a public health issue” and added: “We will ensure a short delay to the timetable will not result in a delay in the implementation of the plan.”
Environmental law group ClientEarth, who took the Government to the High Court in December, today said it was considering its next move in response to the delay.
Chief Executive James Thornton said: “This is a question of public health and not of politics and for that reason we believe that the plans should be put in place without delay.
“Whichever party ends up in power after the June the 8th will need this Air Quality Plan to begin finally to tackle our illegal levels of pollution and prevent further illness and early deaths from poisonous toxins in the air we breathe. The government has had five months to draft this plan and it should be published.”
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Research published by Greenpeace earlier this month revealed more than 2,000 schools and nurseries are near roads with damaging levels of diesel fumes.
The upper legal limit for nitrogen dioxide is 40 micrograms per cubic metre, but a nursery in Tower Hamlets, East London, had a reading of 118.19mcg/m3 – almost three times the limit.
Lord have fcukin mercy.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-25, 1:22 pm

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-25, 3:25 pm

Theresa May voted to block an investigation into Food Poverty. Today, we learned it has hit a record high. 

Lib Dem leader Tim Farron also voted to block it.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-25, 3:33 pm

Theresa May voted to block an investigation into Food Poverty. Today, we learned it has hit a record high. 

Lib Dem leader Tim Farron also voted to block it.
Shameful. But Tories and Lib Dems know no shame Evil or Very Mad

10 million meals given out by foodbanks in just a year - and Universal Credit causing even more hunger

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell called them a 'national disgrace' and said they show ordinary families are bearing the brunt of Tory cuts

By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• 00:00, 25 APR 2017
  • Updated 00:14, 25 APR 2017

The Trussell Trust showed a 6.64% surge in packages given out (Photo: Getty Images Europe)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] handed out more than 10 million meals last year as Tory austerity battered society’s most vulnerable.
Figures from the Trussell Trust showed a 6.64% surge in its packages to families struggling with low wages, high living costs and welfare cuts.
A separate report by MPs found up to three million children are going hungry during the school holidays with some losing “a significant” amount of weight.
Labour’s John McDonnell said the figures were a “national disgrace.”
Trussell Trust food banks provided 1,182,954 emergency food supplies between April 1, 2016 and March 31 this year, compared to 1,109,309 in 2015-16.
Each package contains enough food for three meals a day for three days – meaning volunteers provided the equivalent of 10,646,586 meals..
A heartbreaking 436,938 aid parcels went to children – meaning nearly four million food bank meals were served to hungry kids in 21st Century Britain in just one year.
Charity officials warn the Tories’ flagship shake-up of the welfare system is having a big impact on demand for food.
The roll-out of Universal Credit, which combines six working-age benefits that will be merged into a single payment, has triggered a spike in hunger as cash-strapped claimants struggle to afford food, the Trussell Trust revealed.
Food banks in parts of the country where UC has started have seen a 16.85% hike in referrals – about two-and-a-half times the national average.

Two thirds of food banks said the six-week wait for the first universal Credit payment has led to more people needing help with putting food on the table, according to its Early Warnings report published today(TUES).
“Food banks reported seeing their resources stretched, particularly in areas of full Universal Credit service rollout,” says the study.
“Food stock donations have been put under pressure and at least one food bank in the network has recently needed to request donations from other food banks to respond to the increased need in their area.”
Among four recommendations in its report is a cut in the six week waiting period.
The move “would make a significant difference to people’s ability to cope with no income and would mitigate some of the more serious effects of this, such as debt, mental health issues, and homelessness”, the report adds.
Data also reveals that benefit delays and changes remain the biggest cause of referral to a food bank, accounting for 43% of all referrals - a slight rise on last year’s 42%.

John McDonnell said the figures revealed the 'real truth' of our country  (Photo: PA)

Mr McDonnell, the shadow Chancellor, said: “These figures reveal the real truth about our country under the Tories, while they won’t rule out raising taxes on low and middle earners they are content that foodbank usage on their watch has shot up.
“It’s a national disgrace that they are ploughing ahead with £70 billion worth of tax giveaways for the super-rich and big corporations, while others are left to rely on foodbanks.
“Only Labour will stand up for the many, while the Tories will only look after a wealthy few.”
A report by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hunger today (TUES) said as many as three million children were at risk of going hungry during the school holidays.
It found that some children have vomited or had to drop out of holiday football tournaments “because their bodies simply give up on them” though lack of food.
And it said that poor parents were having to stave off hunger by making meals of flavoured water or cereal.
The group of MPs and peers said children were returning to school “malnourished, sluggish and dreary with some having lost ‘significant’ amounts of weight.
The Group’s chair, Labour MP Frank Field, said: "The evidence presented in this report is staggering.
"It shows us that not only are there children in this country who are exposed to hunger when they are not at school, but also that this exposure risks damaging their prospects of gaining a good education and living a healthy life.
“People of goodwill in a number of communities are showing how holiday hunger can be overcome. They are transforming children’s and parents’ lives for the better.
"It is from this collective strength of churches, community groups, businesses, schools and public bodies that a national effort to eliminate holiday hunger can, and must, be initiated."

Trussell Trust Chief Executive David McAuley said: “The move to simplify an often complex welfare system is a welcome one but any large reform can have unforeseen consequences.
“Food banks see first-hand how changes to the welfare system affect people on the ground, and so can offer an early warning to decision-makers.
“We are sharing our early observations with the Department for Work and Pensions to ensure any adverse side effects Universal Credit can have on people are addressed before full rollout is completed.
“To stop UK hunger we must make sure the welfare system really does work for everyone.”
Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary Debbie Abrahams said: “Ordinary families are bearing the brunt of Tory failures.
“That 10 million meals are now needed by families who can no longer put food on the table is a damning condemnation of the Tories’ economic failure.
“This the direct result of the Tories failing to grow the economy so that all parts of the country benefit, average wages below 2007 levels and cuts to in-work support for families on low incomes; the rampant use of punitive sanctions have also had a devastating impact.”

Last edited by Hieronymus on 2017-04-25, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-25, 3:41 pm

Tory VAT hike will cost the average family £2,500 - and poor will be hit hardest

Tories are planning to smash poorer families with the devastating tax hike

By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• 22:14, 24 APR 2017
  • Updated 09:42, 25 APR 2017

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] VAT bombshell will blast a £2,500 hole in the average family’s budget, hitting poorer families hardest.
The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] considered by Chancellor Philip Hammond would cost a two-child family at least £450 a year over the next Parliament.
Theresa May and her slippery ministers have dodged questions on whether they will increase VAT or other taxes after Mr Hammond admitted he wants the “flexibility” to do so after the June 8 election.
But every Tory Prime Minister has increased VAT since it was first introduced by Ted Heath in 1973. (thought it was worth making that bold in case anyone is in doubt of Tory intentions!)

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell said: “Everyone knows that VAT is the tax Tory Chancellors can’t resist hiking up. It’s the tax bombshell that the Tories are planning for low and middle earners if they are re-elected in June.”
Unite contrasted the raid with plans for a £70billion tax cut for corporations and rich individuals.
Assistant general secretary Steve Turner said: "A Tory VAT rise would clobber pensioners, the worst-off and working people who have suffered years of real pay cuts, while the Tories' super-rich mates and corporations enjoy tax giveaways of £70billion."
Labour MP Wes Streeting, a member of the Commons treasury committee, added:
“A Tory government will hammer families with a VAT rise like every Tory PM has done since 1973. “They don’t care that it clobbers the poorest hardest, that it hits people on middle incomes struggling to make ends meet, so long as they can keep on cutting taxes for the very wealthiest."
“Theresa May is the same old Tory Prime Minister with the same old Tory agenda.”
VAT first came in at a flat rate of 10%. It was cut to 8% by Labour but almost doubled to 15% after Margaret Thatcher got into No10.
It rose again under John Major to 17.5%, and again to its current rate of 20% under [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in 2011 – despite his claims before the 2010 election that he had “no plans” to increase it.

Treasury figures at the time suggested a 2.5% hike would cost a two-child family around £450 a year.
It means another hike would cost families at least £2,250 over the next five-year Parliament – with inflation meaning the true figure is likely to be even higher.
Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon backed Mr Hammond’s plan to abandon the Tories’ 2015 pledge not to increase VAT, income tax or national insurance contributions.
He told ITV’s Good Morning Britain yesterday: “He doesn’t want too many targets inside the manifesto that are too prescriptive, that don’t allow you, as the situation develops over the lifetime of the Parliament, the flexibility.”
Yesterday a Tory campaign source told the Mirror to “wait for the manifesto” to see what the Tories plan now.
Lib Dem MP Greg Mulholland said: “The Tories are plotting a tax bombshell on hard-working Brits to pay for their hard [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .
“Hammond must come clean on what taxes he plans to raise before the election.”

Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-25, 3:50 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Tory VAT hike will cost the average family £2,500 - and poor will be hit hardest

Tories are planning to smash poorer families with the devastating tax hike

By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• 22:14, 24 APR 2017
  • Updated 09:42, 25 APR 2017

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] VAT bombshell will blast a £2,500 hole in the average family’s budget, hitting poorer families hardest.
The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] considered by Chancellor Philip Hammond would cost a two-child family at least £450 a year over the next Parliament.
Theresa May and her slippery ministers have dodged questions on whether they will increase VAT or other taxes after Mr Hammond admitted he wants the “flexibility” to do so after the June 8 election.
But every Tory Prime Minister has increased VAT since it was first introduced by Ted Heath in 1973. (thought it was worth making that bold in case anyone is in doubt of Tory intentions!)

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell said: “Everyone knows that VAT is the tax Tory Chancellors can’t resist hiking up. It’s the tax bombshell that the Tories are planning for low and middle earners if they are re-elected in June.”
Unite contrasted the raid with plans for a £70billion tax cut for corporations and rich individuals.
Assistant general secretary Steve Turner said: "A Tory VAT rise would clobber pensioners, the worst-off and working people who have suffered years of real pay cuts, while the Tories' super-rich mates and corporations enjoy tax giveaways of £70billion."
Labour MP Wes Streeting, a member of the Commons treasury committee, added:
“A Tory government will hammer families with a VAT rise like every Tory PM has done since 1973. “They don’t care that it clobbers the poorest hardest, that it hits people on middle incomes struggling to make ends meet, so long as they can keep on cutting taxes for the very wealthiest."
“Theresa May is the same old Tory Prime Minister with the same old Tory agenda.”
VAT first came in at a flat rate of 10%. It was cut to 8% by Labour but almost doubled to 15% after Margaret Thatcher got into No10.
It rose again under John Major to 17.5%, and again to its current rate of 20% under [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in 2011 – despite his claims before the 2010 election that he had “no plans” to increase it.

Treasury figures at the time suggested a 2.5% hike would cost a two-child family around £450 a year.
It means another hike would cost families at least £2,250 over the next five-year Parliament – with inflation meaning the true figure is likely to be even higher.
Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon backed Mr Hammond’s plan to abandon the Tories’ 2015 pledge not to increase VAT, income tax or national insurance contributions.
He told ITV’s Good Morning Britain yesterday: “He doesn’t want too many targets inside the manifesto that are too prescriptive, that don’t allow you, as the situation develops over the lifetime of the Parliament, the flexibility.”
Yesterday a Tory campaign source told the Mirror to “wait for the manifesto” to see what the Tories plan now.
Lib Dem MP Greg Mulholland said: “The Tories are plotting a tax bombshell on hard-working Brits to pay for their hard [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .
“Hammond must come clean on what taxes he plans to raise before the election.”

I'm absolutely amazed and shocked that anyone could even consider voting for the most uncaring cruel government I can remember.
They look like out Thatchering Thatcher.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-25, 3:56 pm

Council spending on 'neighbourhood' services falls by £3bn since 2011

Cuts to services such as bin collection, planning and pothole repair amount to dismantling of core functions of local government, says report

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]There were wide variations across England, with some councils cutting neighbourhood services by 40% while others have increased these budgets by 20%. Photograph: Matt 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Social policy editor
Tuesday 25 April 2017 08.36 BSTFirst published on Tuesday 25 April 2017 00.01 BST
English councils’ spending on neighbourhood services, such as bins, planning, potholes and leisure, has fallen by more than £3bn in the past five years, research has found.
A report, published by the benchmarking group, the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Apse), says the huge cuts to funding and the wide variations between authorities in funding services were “changing the very nature of local government.”
The reductions amount to a dismantling of universal services that are the most high-profile, core functions of local government, the report says. “These services need defending in their own right as part of wider defence of local government as a whole.”
The most deprived council areas have seen the biggest falls in spending in these services – up to 22% on average over five years among the most deprived fifth of authorities, compared with just 5% among the wealthiest, research shows.

Hundreds of children's playgrounds in England close due to cuts

The poorest areas had an especially sharp spending fall in, for example, food and water safety inspection, road safety and school crossings, community centres and services aimed at cutting crime – such as CCTV – and support for local bus services.
There were wide variations across the country, with some councils cutting neighbourhood services by 40% while others have increased these budgets by 20%.
The cuts to neighbourhood services have taken place against a backdrop of unprecedented [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as a share of the economy. In 2010-11, it accounted for 8.4% of the economy, falling to 6.7% by 2015-16. By 2020-21, it will be down to 5.7%, a 60-year low, the report says.
Although much of the political focus of local government cuts has been on social care services, the impact on neighbourhood services, which include highways and transport, cultural services, environmental services and planning, has been far greater, the report says.
Spending on neighbourhood services in England fell £3.1bn, or 13%, between 2010-11 and 2015-16 at a time when social care spending increased by £2.3bn.
“Neighbourhood services should be on an equal footing to other public services and not viewed as a painless option for more cuts in local spending,” the report says.

Council tax bills to rise in nine out of 10 English local authorities

Council managers interviewed for the report said there was a perception that funding for local government services was a “zero sum game” in which neighbourhood services had become collateral damage as councils sought to protect social care services.
“One member expressed his dismay that he no longer had the staff to maintain some verges in his area, which had become overgrown, but that within the context of austerity these overgrown verges were the price to pay for ensuring that a vulnerable person in the area would receive the support they required,” it says.
Apse chief executive Paul O’Brien said: “While many are terming the forthcoming general election as the ‘Brexit election’, we can’t afford to ignore the bread and butter neighbourhood issues.
“In eight years, local government spending will have dropped from two thirds of that of central government’s to half. There is a slow but very harmful dismantling of neighbourhood services that marks a profound change in what local public services our communities can expect to receive.
“From emptying bins to running swimming pools to providing high quality local parks, spending on these services which communities really value has been cut harder and faster than any other area of public service spend. Centrally driven austerity has fallen hardest on local shoulders. ”

How have you been affected by council cuts to 'neighbourhood' spending?
Sarah Marsh

However, there appears to be little recognition from the public that councils have tried hard to maintain neighbourhood services of acceptable standard, with 41% believing local services have declined in their local areas in recent years, according to an Apse survey. Just a quarter held central government responsible for declining services at local level.
The report calls for the reestablishment of need-based grant within council funding to rebalance resources between poorer and wealthy councils.
“Since the deepest cuts have been in the most deprived parts of the country, some needs-based system of central grant that addresses this is unavoidable,” it says.
“This is not a challenge to localism but to the idea that localism means that central government can wash its hands of responsibility.”

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-25, 6:01 pm

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-25, 7:01 pm

Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-26, 7:12 am

A woman using food banks breaks down on live TV: ‘I need to let the nation know what it’s like’

APRIL 25TH, 2017 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tracey Culham broke down on national television on 25 April. Speaking about using food banks on Victoria Derbyshire, she said “I need to let the nation know what it’s like”:

[ltr]"It's degrading, especially when you've worked all your life" 

Tracey had to use food banks because her Universal Credit was delayed.[/ltr]

Culham said using food banks is “the most degrading thing”, especially when “you’ve worked all your life”. Her intervention on national television is a glimpse of the reality for many under the Conservative austerity programme.

Food poverty has skyrocketed under the Conservatives

The Conservative government is directly responsible for pushing ordinary people into food poverty. The number of three-day food packages sent out by the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] alone [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from 40,898 to 1,182,954 between 2010 and 2016-17. That’s a record-breaking increase of 2,792% since the Conservatives came to power.

But it’s worse than that. A report by the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Hunger [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]estimates that over half the emergency food issued comes from organisations independent from the Trussell Trust’s figures. This means the real numbers are much higher.
The government tries to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]downplay the connection between its policies and food bank use, saying that it’s “complex”. But, as common sense suggests, an Oxford University study confirms a “robust link” [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]between the stripping down of the welfare state and food bank use.
Recently, the government’s flagship welfare overhaul to Universal Credit has only added to the chaos, leading to an even greater [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]spike in food bank use.
And the public spending cuts are only deepening under May’s premiership. Her Chancellor, Philip Hammond, recommitted to austerity in his budget [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]speech [10:20]. The worst of that austerity is coming through under May, with cuts of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]£51.4bn between 2015 and 2019.

A breakdown of the top reasons for food banks

The Trussell Trust also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a breakdown of the top reasons people are using food banks:

Responding to the chart, Jeremy Corbyn [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

Number one cause of people using foodbanks is low-income. Labour’s real Living Wage of £10/hour will eradicate poverty wages

Labour is also committed to ending austerity and transitioning to an investment-based economy. The impact of such an economic approach would go beyond helping vulnerable people like Culham. The returns on investment would [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] public debt and facilitate economic activity. But on top of that, the new economy would be civilised. People wouldn’t be breaking down over a lack of food on live television.
Get Involved!
– [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to vote in the 8 June general election. People can call 0300 200 3500 if they don’t already have a national insurance number.
– Discuss the key policy issues with family members, colleagues and neighbours. And organise! Join (and participate in the activities of) a union, an activist group, and/or a political party.
– Also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] more Canary articles on the 2017 general election.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-26, 10:12 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Council spending on 'neighbourhood' services falls by £3bn since 2011

Cuts to services such as bin collection, planning and pothole repair amount to dismantling of core functions of local government, says report

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]There were wide variations across England, with some councils cutting neighbourhood services by 40% while others have increased these budgets by 20%. Photograph: Matt 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Social policy editor
Tuesday 25 April 2017 08.36 BSTFirst published on Tuesday 25 April 2017 00.01 BST
English councils’ spending on neighbourhood services, such as bins, planning, potholes and leisure, has fallen by more than £3bn in the past five years, research has found.
A report, published by the benchmarking group, the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Apse), says the huge cuts to funding and the wide variations between authorities in funding services were “changing the very nature of local government.”
The reductions amount to a dismantling of universal services that are the most high-profile, core functions of local government, the report says. “These services need defending in their own right as part of wider defence of local government as a whole.”
The most deprived council areas have seen the biggest falls in spending in these services – up to 22% on average over five years among the most deprived fifth of authorities, compared with just 5% among the wealthiest, research shows.

Hundreds of children's playgrounds in England close due to cuts

The poorest areas had an especially sharp spending fall in, for example, food and water safety inspection, road safety and school crossings, community centres and services aimed at cutting crime – such as CCTV – and support for local bus services.
There were wide variations across the country, with some councils cutting neighbourhood services by 40% while others have increased these budgets by 20%.
The cuts to neighbourhood services have taken place against a backdrop of unprecedented [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as a share of the economy. In 2010-11, it accounted for 8.4% of the economy, falling to 6.7% by 2015-16. By 2020-21, it will be down to 5.7%, a 60-year low, the report says.
Although much of the political focus of local government cuts has been on social care services, the impact on neighbourhood services, which include highways and transport, cultural services, environmental services and planning, has been far greater, the report says.
Spending on neighbourhood services in England fell £3.1bn, or 13%, between 2010-11 and 2015-16 at a time when social care spending increased by £2.3bn.
“Neighbourhood services should be on an equal footing to other public services and not viewed as a painless option for more cuts in local spending,” the report says.

Council tax bills to rise in nine out of 10 English local authorities

Council managers interviewed for the report said there was a perception that funding for local government services was a “zero sum game” in which neighbourhood services had become collateral damage as councils sought to protect social care services.
“One member expressed his dismay that he no longer had the staff to maintain some verges in his area, which had become overgrown, but that within the context of austerity these overgrown verges were the price to pay for ensuring that a vulnerable person in the area would receive the support they required,” it says.
Apse chief executive Paul O’Brien said: “While many are terming the forthcoming general election as the ‘Brexit election’, we can’t afford to ignore the bread and butter neighbourhood issues.
“In eight years, local government spending will have dropped from two thirds of that of central government’s to half. There is a slow but very harmful dismantling of neighbourhood services that marks a profound change in what local public services our communities can expect to receive.
“From emptying bins to running swimming pools to providing high quality local parks, spending on these services which communities really value has been cut harder and faster than any other area of public service spend. Centrally driven austerity has fallen hardest on local shoulders. ”

How have you been affected by council cuts to 'neighbourhood' spending?
Sarah Marsh

However, there appears to be little recognition from the public that councils have tried hard to maintain neighbourhood services of acceptable standard, with 41% believing local services have declined in their local areas in recent years, according to an Apse survey. Just a quarter held central government responsible for declining services at local level.
The report calls for the reestablishment of need-based grant within council funding to rebalance resources between poorer and wealthy councils.
“Since the deepest cuts have been in the most deprived parts of the country, some needs-based system of central grant that addresses this is unavoidable,” it says.
“This is not a challenge to localism but to the idea that localism means that central government can wash its hands of responsibility.”
Yes, and it is deliberate by the Tories, because people blame 'the council' when it is compleetly out of their hands and is a national policy to squeeze local communities dry. In fact Councils' have been doing heroics to mitigate the worst damage from the cuts but many are having to use reserves that they need for emergencies, like flooding, or severe winters, or a large employer closing down, etc. Those reserves will soon be gone and then people really will see the full effects of Tory austerity in communities. Twisted Evil
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum