SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
THE CATS NEXT GAME

Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Latest topics
» SIDMCFC
Today at 12:30 pm by canary-dave

» Max Stryjek
Today at 11:54 am by Silvers

» N'Dong
Today at 10:26 am by cyprussyd

» Sunderland AFC v Rochdale
Today at 10:25 am by cyprussyd

» legal action
Today at 10:19 am by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 8
Today at 10:15 am by oldblackcat

» Who would have thought it
Today at 9:34 am by cyprussyd

» League Table Week 7
Today at 8:02 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 7
Today at 7:55 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Quiz 111
Yesterday at 11:44 pm by Hieronymus

Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Sky Bet League 1
FcTables.com

General Election

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Re: General Election

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-06-02, 4:27 am

Just a little sample of the right wing press:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-06-02, 8:25 am

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-02, 8:28 am

I'm looking forward to election night and dreading it at the same time. 

We seem so near but could still be so far and if the Conservatives win and are able to form the next government I will be devastated.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-06-02, 9:00 am

cyprussyd wrote:I'm looking forward to election night and dreading it at the same time. 

We seem so near but could still be so far and if the Conservatives win and are able to form the next government I will be devastated.

Well I have already voted by post as I am away next week. I just hope the polls are right and Corbyn is doing as well as indicated. Who would have thought a month ago that the Maybot would have ran such an awful campaign and Corbyn would be as good in comparison
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-06-02, 10:21 am

Billy D wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:Thought you guys might like a read of this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks Billy, yes very interesting indeed. Particularly the bit about propaganda and the education system. That was something that had not really occurred to me as an explanation why so many people seemed to blindly trot out the stock phrases of the right wing press, like blaming immigrants for everything, Corbyn being weak, and unelectable, and May being strong and stable, for example, despite so much evidence to the contrary. But it makes sense when you realise our schools have largely been turned into exam factories these days, with kids not taught to think for themselves, but just regurgitate what they have been told they need for their exams. So of course some of these kids grow up to know no better and take in those political messages and start believing them!
It's like he says - you keep telling someone the same thing over & over again, they gonna end up believing it no matter how wrong or bad it is.

I think this line might have been used before, “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” 

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT on 2017-06-02, 10:30 am

Doesn't matter who gets in syd the are all after the same thing, lining their pockets with our hard earned.
The Tories will destroy NHS and the working man without pausing for breath. Labour will destroy the country with all these schemes they have but not knowing how they are paying for them.
Is there a credible alternative to these two? probably not.

TNT
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-02, 10:46 am

talcnturnip wrote:Doesn't matter who gets in syd the are all after the same thing, lining their pockets with our hard earned.
The Tories will destroy NHS and the working man without pausing for breath. Labour will destroy the country with all these schemes they have but not knowing how they are paying for them.
Is there a credible alternative to these two? probably not.
And I understand that view but I honestly believe Corbyn can change that for the better.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT on 2017-06-02, 4:16 pm

Fair enough mate but, how is he going to pay for it?
Totally guessing but, tax those who have bothered their arse to get a job
Also this stealth tax on how much garden you have is a definite none starter for me at least, having scrimped and saved and gone without to pay for a half decent home.

TNT
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-02, 4:19 pm

talcnturnip wrote:Fair enough mate but, how is he going to pay for it?
Also this stealth tax on how much garden you have is a definite none starter for me at least, having scrimped and saved and gone without to pay for a half decent home.
He will pay for it and its all worked out but TBH cost is no concern to me. The cash is there and always has been, its about how its spent.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-06-02, 4:48 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
He will pay for it and its all worked out but TBH cost is no concern to me. The cash is there and always has been, its about how its spent.
Making the large multi-nationals like Costa Coffee, Pepsi, Coka Cola, et al pay their dues would be a start.
HMRC are after my sick old mam for £250 while these wankers get away with billions in tax.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-02, 6:22 pm

I understand the concern talc but people like us aren't the target for any potential land value tax.  It's the landed gentry and multiple property owners they are after. People who know how to use trusts and offshore tax havens so they currently pay less tax than most ordinary people on average wages do. 

As Syd says, the money is there and, under Labour, instead of using it to pay dividends to shareholders for privatised public services, and bonuses to bankers who caused the crash, it will go to the NHS, schools, social care and to create jobs, as we invest in national infrastructure and housing. Remember over the last 7 years of Tory government the national debt and borrowing went UP (by an extra £555 billion between 2010 and 2016), despite all the tax cuts and austerity measures that have fallen on the poorest and most vulnerable, and while millionaires have been raking it in!

And, as Billy rightly points out, don't forget the hounding of so called 'benefit fraudsters' and those who are overpaid tax credits or other benefits (through no fault of their own usually) and have to pay it back immediately it is demanded, or the cruel sanctions regime on the unemployed, while all the time the megarich and multinational corporations get away with paying a pittance towards overall UK tax revenues.

I really feel we have nothing to lose by giving Labour the chance to keep their promises, because another 5 years of Tory government will literally see people dying in their hundreds and thousands as the NHS cracks and the social care crisis bites ever deeper. And we all know its not the rich that will suffer when those events come to pass.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-06-02, 6:44 pm

We are getting down to squeaky bum time. I still can't see past a tory victory, to me it's just a matter of by how much. I truly hope I am wrong. But at best they will get back in with no better
a majority than present. Soon find out.

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-02, 6:57 pm

John McDonnell is certain we'll see Labour in government next week. What does everyone think?
[ltr]#VoteLabour[/ltr].

John McDonnell ‘10/10 convinced’ Labour will win the election
John McDonnell has said he is 10 out of 10 “convinced” Labour will emerge victorious at the election.
POLITICSHOME.COM

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-02, 6:58 pm

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-06-02, 7:14 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
I understand the concern talc but people like us aren't the target for any potential land value tax.  It's the landed gentry and multiple property owners they are after. People who know how to use trusts and offshore tax havens so they currently pay less tax than most ordinary people on average wages do. 

As Syd says, the money is there and, under Labour, instead of using it to pay dividends to shareholders for privatised public services, and bonuses to bankers who caused the crash, it will go to the NHS, schools, social care and to create jobs, as we invest in national infrastructure and housing. Remember over the last 7 years of Tory government the national debt and borrowing went UP (by an extra £555 billion between 2010 and 2016), despite all the tax cuts and austerity measures that have fallen on the poorest and most vulnerable, and while millionaires have been raking it in!

And, as Billy rightly points out, don't forget the hounding of so called 'benefit fraudsters' and those who are overpaid tax credits or other benefits (through no fault of their own usually) and have to pay it back immediately it is demanded, or the cruel sanctions regime on the unemployed, while all the time the megarich and multinational corporations get away with paying a pittance towards overall UK tax revenues.

I really feel we have nothing to lose by giving Labour the chance to keep their promises, because another 5 years of Tory government will literally see people dying in their hundreds and thousands as the NHS cracks and the social care crisis bites ever deeper. And we all know its not the rich that will suffer when those events come to pass.
Yes indeed.
Plus I believe in slashing foreign aid to the bare bones.
Only those who are most in need should get it.
Not countries like India who are nuclear armed but let their people starve?
Well I'm sorry but if you can afford a nuclear programme you can afford to feed your own people.
R Souls.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-02, 7:52 pm

Billy D wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:

Yes indeed.
Plus I believe in slashing foreign aid to the bare bones.
Only those who are most in need should get it.
Not countries like India who are nuclear armed but let their people starve?
Well I'm sorry but if you can afford a nuclear programme you can afford to feed your own people.
R Souls.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-03, 8:23 am

This thread will soon be coming to an end when the result is known. Let's hope we can then switch to talking about our new manager, wont hold my breath.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT on 2017-06-03, 8:54 am

The money may well be there H but, that will soon disappear when Labour nationalise everything. Were any of those in charge around when everything was nationalised? It was terrible strikes every 5 mi it's power cuts etc. etc. If or when (take your pick) Labour do win then as ever we will not feel any benefit as Corbyn and his cronies believe anywhere North of Hull is the cursed earth between Scotland and England, that has been the view of every single government that has come to power since I have voted.
I still believe that whoever gets in tax will go up and, I am fine with paying my way let's hope everyone else feels the same way.
Not being racist or sexist here but as a white male who works for a living has a car and likes a beer at the weekend I am in a minority no government has given a flying rats arse about people like me as long that is as I keep paying tax on everything.
Reckon our next manager whoever he or she is will be more welcome than any politician knocking on my door.

TNT
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-06-03, 6:15 pm

This is so funny, I bet May is furious that people have seen it!

Sorry I can't post it as a video but it is well worth a watch!   like

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-06-03, 7:19 pm

canary-dave wrote:This is so funny, I bet May is furious that people have seen it!

lol!
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-04, 10:52 pm

canary-dave wrote:This is so funny, I bet May is furious that people have seen it!

Love Mark Steel Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-05, 9:06 am

Well we are now in the final straight of an election that could go any way and the Manchester and London attacks have added even more uncertainty.

I have a dread that the Tories will hang on but hope and pray they dont, Thursday could be a long night and I intend to stay up until the bitter end.

Here in my little Coxhoe bubble I find it totally inconceivable that anyone would vote Conservative because all I see around me is desperation, parents worried about their children and children worried about their parents. The word austerity is not a word around me its every day life.

I see it in my doctor's surgery, when I attend A&E or the local hospital, both sadly needed in recent months. I feel very fortunate to live in a village that still retains many old values from my childhood, respect, honesty, doing the right thing, caring for neighbours, bringing children up the right way, being proud of lifes achievements without bragging or boasting about what we have or looking down at those worse off.

On Thursday I will be voting Labour not because I am a staunch Labour member but because despite all his faults Corbyn's new way is a way I associate with, I identify with in simple terms it seems a common sense honest inclusive way forward.

In my bubble I don't look into the how it will be paid for, the IRA links or the right or left agenda, I just listen and read Corbyn's way and compare it to life around me, we need a new way and only Jeremy Corbyn is offering it.

I hope with every fibre of my body that Friday morning will be a happy one.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-05, 9:20 am

cyprussyd wrote:Well we are now in the final straight of an election that could go any way and the Manchester and London attacks have added even more uncertainty.

I have a dread that the Tories will hang on but hope and pray they dont, Thursday could be a long night and I intend to stay up until the bitter end.

Here in my little Coxhoe bubble I find it totally inconceivable that anyone would vote Conservative because all I see around me is desperation, parents worried about their children and children worried about their parents. The word austerity is not a word around me its every day life.

I see it in my doctor's surgery, when I attend A&E or the local hospital, both sadly needed in recent months. I feel very fortunate to live in a village that still retains many old values from my childhood, respect, honesty, doing the right thing, caring for neighbours, bringing children up the right way, being proud of lifes achievements without bragging or boasting about what we have or looking down at those worse off.

On Thursday I will be voting Labour not because I am a staunch Labour member but because despite all his faults Corbyn's new way is a way I associate with, I identify with in simple terms it seems a common sense honest inclusive way forward.

In my bubble I don't look into the how it will be paid for, the IRA links or the right or left agenda, I just listen and read Corbyn's way and compare it to life around me, we need a new way and only Jeremy Corbyn is offering it.

I hope with every fibre of my body that Friday morning will be a happy one.
Well said Syd. You know I agree with you.
I posted this link on Facebook last night of a blog by Harry Leslie Smith. A veteran of WWII  who voted Labour in the 1945 election to change the country for the better. Hope others on here find it interesting. 
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-06-05, 9:49 pm

Just watched Bernie Saunders on HardTalk with Stephen Sackur.  He came over as an old fashioned Socialist who had the working class people as the backbone of the country.  He opined that the Democrats lost their way over the past thirty years by going more to the centre right and aligning with the banks and corporations to drive trade agreements which has been a big cause of Trump election. 

Had he been around in Maggie's time he would have been deported to Russia.

Whatever happened to firebrand politicians?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-05, 10:15 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Just watched Bernie Saunders on HardTalk with Stephen Sackur.  He came over as an old fashioned Socialist who had the working class people as the backbone of the country.  He opined that the Democrats lost their way over the past thirty years by going more to the centre right and aligning with the banks and corporations to drive trade agreements which has been a big cause of Trump election. 

Had he been around in Maggie's time he would have been deported to Russia.

Whatever happened to firebrand politicians?
When Blair won I was delighted,mind anyone after Thatcher and Major would have delighted me.

But I soon became disillusioned with spin and saying the right thing ended with saying nothing.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum