SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Today at 5:16 am by canary-dave

» MAJA GOAL
Today at 4:08 am by canary-dave

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Today at 2:38 am by oxfordshire

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 9:43 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
Yesterday at 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

» Keith Chegwin dies
Yesterday at 1:08 pm by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
2017-12-15, 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
2017-12-15, 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

gil t azell

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

General Election

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Election

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 12:14 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:
Billy D wrote:
MrRAWhite wrote:I think it was the 1951 election where labour lost the general election despite getting 49% of the vote which was higher than the winning Tories.
In 1951 Labour got 48.8% while the Tories got 48,0%.
The Tories however won 321 seats as opposed to Labour's 295.
Well I was pretty damned close marra.. Laughing
Yep, pretty much bang on.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-05-31, 6:18 pm

Corbyn will appear at the debate tonight from Cambridge but Teresa May will not

Jeremy Corbyn announces he's taking part in TV debate
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says he will take part in a TV election debate.
He'll join Lib Dem leader Tim Farron, UKIP's Paul Nuttall, SNP deputy leader Angus Robertson, Green co-leader Caroline Lucas and Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd will be representing the Tories because Theresa May has refused to take part.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-05-31, 6:22 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Corbyn will appear at the debate tonight from Cambridge but Teresa May will not

He'll join Lib Dem leader Tim Farron, UKIP's Paul Nuttall, SNP deputy leader Angus Robertson, Green co-leader Caroline Lucas and Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd will be representing the Tories because Theresa May has refused to take part.

...because she is...

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 6:39 pm

If Labour do manage to pull this off (and there's a good chance), I can visualise a mass wank in fest going on on here, lol. Wink
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-31, 7:04 pm

Billy D wrote:If Labour do manage to pull this off (and there's a good chance), I can visualise a mass wank in fest going on on here, lol. Wink
Now there is an incentive.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-31, 7:04 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Corbyn will appear at the debate tonight from Cambridge but Teresa May will not

One more nail in the strong womans coffin I think

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 7:17 pm

lol!
cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:If Labour do manage to pull this off (and there's a good chance), I can visualise a mass wank in fest going on on here, lol. Wink
Now there is an incentive.
lol!
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-05-31, 8:30 pm

Not sure about that BD I will however get very very pissed. Let June be the end of May
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 9:38 pm

I just watched that election debate on BBC1 with great interest.
Thought Corbyn did very well but the girl from the Greens & the SNP guy really impressed me.
Thought the Tory bird pissed her knickers.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-31, 10:13 pm

Billy D wrote:I just watched that election debate on BBC1 with great interest.
Thought Corbyn did very well but the girl from the Greens & the SNP guy really impressed me.
Could not have put it better

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-05-31, 10:52 pm

Yeah I thought Corbyn did well, but maybe could have pushed the fact that May didn't also attend a bit more (although the others gave her enough stick about that anyway) Loved his response to Amber Rudd's stupid "magic money tree" mantra, "Have you ever even been to a food bank?"

Angus Robertson is a good speaker, and did well too, not restricting himself to a narrow SNP view, unlike Leanne Wood who was only concerned with Wales (as you might expect to be fair) but I want to see politicians show understanding of the wider context in which they exist.

Paul Nuttall was abject and largely an embarassment but at least he put himself forward, unlike Teresa May.

Tim Farron performed better than I expected and no doubbt he is passionate. Loved his closing statement  "In fact, Bake Off is on BBC Two next. Why not make yourself a brew? You are not worth Theresa May's time, don't give her your time."

Amber Rudd did okay, much better than Teresa May would have done, but honestly anyone that says "Judge us on our record" with no sense of irony is hardly fit to be an MP in my opinion.  The audience definitely agreed with me on that. To be fair to her I heard her father died on Monday so I give her much credit for being willing to do the debate at all.

But for me Caroline Lucas was the star of the show and I would love to see her in a Labour / Green cabinet. She is smart and personable and obviously cares deeply about inequality and the impact of Tory austerity. I find I share her views on many policies but then many of them are crossover with the current Labour manifesto!

Did anyone else think the moderator was not very good? I thought she allowed too much interruption and talking over one another. But I appreciate iwth seven people it is tricky to manage.

In the end I don't think this debate had any real memorable moments, but for anyone who has not made their mind up yet, seeing these politicians speak, unedited by the media, should help people understand what the parties stand for, so it was a useful exercise IMO.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 11:14 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
I'm beginning to be swayed Syd, Labour might just pull this off.
Either that or a hung Parliament.
No way is May gonna get the landslide that she, (and me), thought she would.
Like the LibDem lad said - if she can't be arsed to turn up why give her your time?
But the Green lass & the SNP bloke, never in my life have I heard so much common sense spoken by two politicians in 90 minutes before. I've got time for them two.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-31, 11:30 pm

Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Like the LibDem lad said - if she can't be arsed to turn up why give her your time?
But the Green lass & the SNP bloke, never in my life have I heard so much common sense spoken by two politicians in 90 minutes before. I've got time for them two.
I try and watch PMQs every week and Angus Robertson never lets himself down. I have always loved Caroline Lucas and think she is wasted but if she stood in Coxhoe she would get my vote.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 11:47 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Yeah I thought Corbyn did well, but maybe could have pushed the fact that May didn't also attend a bit more (although the others gave her enough stick about that anyway) Loved his response to Amber Rudd's stupid "magic money tree" mantra, "Have you ever even been to a food bank?"

Angus Robertson is a good speaker, and did well too, not restricting himself to a narrow SNP view, unlike Leanne Wood who was only concerned with Wales (as you might expect to be fair) but I want to see politicians show understanding of the wider context in which they exist.

Paul Nuttall was abject and largely an embarassment but at least he put himself forward, unlike Teresa May.

Tim Farron performed better than I expected and no doubbt he is passionate. Loved his closing statement  "In fact, Bake Off is on BBC Two next. Why not make yourself a brew? You are not worth Theresa May's time, don't give her your time."

Amber Rudd did okay, much better than Teresa May would have done, but honestly anyone that says "Judge us on our record" with no sense of irony is hardly fit to be an MP in my opinion.  The audience definitely agreed with me on that. To be fair to her I heard her father died on Monday so I give her much credit for being willing to do the debate at all.

But for me Caroline Lucas was the star of the show and I would love to see her in a Labour / Green cabinet. She is smart and personable and obviously cares deeply about inequality and the impact of Tory austerity. I find I share her views on many policies but then many of them are crossover with the current Labour manifesto!

Did anyone else think the moderator was not very good? I thought she allowed too much interruption and talking over one another. But I appreciate iwth seven people it is tricky to manage.

In the end I don't think this debate had any real memorable moments, but for anyone who has not made their mind up yet, seeing these politicians speak, unedited by the media, should help people understand what the parties stand for, so it was a useful exercise IMO.
A very good post H.
I like that SNP fella. I wish he was leader instead of wee Jimmy Krankie.
He said a few times how he would press the Westminster government to apply his policies to the whole UK.
The UKIP lad came over as a bit of a knob but at least he's not frightened to say what others are.
He speaks his mind, in a Donald Trump kind of way. I kind of like that in people. Straight talking folk.
But the Greens lass was brilliant, she really stole me that woman. A class act.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 11:58 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
I try and watch PMQs every week and Angus Robertson never lets himself down. I have always loved Caroline Lucas and think she is wasted but if she stood in Coxhoe she would get my vote.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-01, 10:02 am

1 week to go then the talking stops and the result will be near. Gap now 3 points.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-06-01, 10:23 am

cyprussyd wrote:1 week to go then the talking stops and the result will be near. Gap now 3 points.
Just had a look on oddschecker.
Tories still massive favourites with the bookies.
Surprised that hasn't narrowed somewhat tbh.
Not often the bookies are far off but neither are opinion polls.
I'm guessing a slim Tory majority or a hung Parliament.

Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-06-01, 7:51 pm

The Tories are now crying foul about a "biased left wing audience" at the latest Q&A broadcast.  If this balances out the right wing press reporting it will do for me.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-01, 8:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-06-01, 8:09 pm

cyprussyd wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rof rof rof rof rof rof rof rof rof rof rof rof

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-01, 8:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-06-01, 10:38 pm

Thought you guys might like a read of this.

Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-06-01, 10:43 pm

Billy D wrote:Thought you guys might like a read of this.

like like like like like like like

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-06-01, 11:06 pm

Thanks Billy, yes very interesting indeed. Particularly the bit about propaganda and the education system. That was something that had not really occurred to me as an explanation why so many people seemed to blindly trot out the stock phrases of the right wing press, like blaming immigrants for everything, Corbyn being weak, and unelectable, and May being strong and stable, for example, despite so much evidence to the contrary. But it makes sense when you realise our schools have largely been turned into exam factories these days, with kids not taught to think for themselves, but just regurgitate what they have been told they need for their exams. So of course some of these kids grow up to know no better and take in those political messages and start believing them!
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-06-01, 11:38 pm

Hieronymus wrote:

Thanks Billy, yes very interesting indeed. Particularly the bit about propaganda and the education system. That was something that had not really occurred to me as an explanation why so many people seemed to blindly trot out the stock phrases of the right wing press, like blaming immigrants for everything, Corbyn being weak, and unelectable, and May being strong and stable, for example, despite so much evidence to the contrary. But it makes sense when you realise our schools have largely been turned into exam factories these days, with kids not taught to think for themselves, but just regurgitate what they have been told they need for their exams. So of course some of these kids grow up to know no better and take in those political messages and start believing them!
It's like he says - you keep telling someone the same thing over & over again, they gonna end up believing it no matter how wrong or bad it is.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum