SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V LEEDS- Matchday Thread
Today at 12:30 am by lesmac

» Condolences Vince
Yesterday at 10:16 pm by silvers

» Next Carlisle(Tuesday cup) and Barnsley(Saturday) away
Yesterday at 9:55 pm by cyprussyd

» If you read nothing else today you must read this
Yesterday at 9:04 pm by Nostalgic

» Results - Midweek
Yesterday at 4:49 pm by Mackemneil

» Friends, Mackems and Sunderpitt
Yesterday at 3:24 pm by sunderpitt

» Right at the back of your mind
Yesterday at 1:45 pm by The Yakker

» Everton ,,,,, Bradley ,,,,,,
Yesterday at 11:14 am by Hieronymus

» League Table - Midweek
Yesterday at 10:33 am by Billy D

»  ‘Click & Collect’
Yesterday at 12:42 am by Nostalgic

Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

General Election

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Election

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-29, 9:51 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:On the ballot paper underneath all the candidates there should be "none of the above."
It would give them a clear indication of the apathy the public has towards the politicians.
I agree this would be a good thing and if we make voting compulsory too then we would soon know if our politicians are doing what we citizens expect and need.
Sadly in our first past the post system many are left voting for what they see as the lesser of two evils rather than who they really want.

I have no doubt about my vote for Labour and many more have no doubt about their Tory vote but we wont decide the outcome, the undecided will.

Cant remember if we have ever  had a government that over 50% of the electorate wanted.
H, if they made it compulsory without including that on the paper I think there would be a lot spoilt.
Turn out is not really an indication to me but I totally understand why folk don't bother & abstain.
Syd, I think Thatcher & Bliar had two massive landslide victories each.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-29, 10:12 am

Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:
Billy D wrote:On the ballot paper underneath all the candidates there should be "none of the above."
It would give them a clear indication of the apathy the public has towards the politicians.
I agree this would be a good thing and if we make voting compulsory too then we would soon know if our politicians are doing what we citizens expect and need.
Sadly in our first past the post system many are left voting for what they see as the lesser of two evils rather than who they really want.

I have no doubt about my vote for Labour and many more have no doubt about their Tory vote but we wont decide the outcome, the undecided will.

Cant remember if we have ever  had a government that over 50% of the electorate wanted.
H, if they made it compulsory without including that on the paper I think there would be a lot spoilt.
Turn out is not really an indication to me but I totally understand why folk don't bother & abstain.
They did but did either have over 50% of the vote?

Blair victory had 42.3% of vote
Best I can find is the 1959 election and a Tory win with 49.3%

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-29, 10:16 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:

They did but did either have over 50% of the vote?
Well without looking it up I couldn't say for certain but I'd have thought so.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-29, 10:17 am

Blair victory had 42.3% of vote

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-29, 10:21 am

cyprussyd wrote:Blair victory had 42.3% of vote

Yes you're right.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-05-29, 10:49 am

Time for the mud slinging and economical with the truth promises to hot up, oh happy days as they say.

National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-05-29, 11:38 am

There is a very simple and totally accurate way of telling when a politician is lying!

Their lips move!  Twisted Evil

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-05-29, 12:30 pm

The polls indicate that the Labour Party is favoured more than the Tories but May is favoured more than Corbyn

My guess atm is that the Tories will still win but not by that much as first envisaged.

As for the dementia tax...iirc over a decade or so ago? there was an all party committee that said old age care would be paid retrospectively by selling the recipient's house. The Tories slyly pulled out of the agreement and how care for us old folks will be paid for has become a political football ever since
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-29, 4:29 pm

I think tonight's Sky debate could well be a game changer with May cracking under pressure.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-29, 6:29 pm

Why was this never widely reported? It is IMPOSSIBLE for a terrorist sympathiser in any form to win this Peace Prize.... IMPOSSIBLE because the board scrutinise nominees forensically and are 100% sure that their actions and background are free from bias or intent with which to condone War or aggression. In his speech Corbyn says that ALL extremism and acts of terrorism are WRONG! He also says how the UK involvement in wars in Iraq and Syria will bring reprisal to British Mainland. How is it that a man if peace is twisted by the media to represent a man of war and terror?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Gandhi Foundation International Peace Award 2013
The Gandhi Foundation International Peace Award for 2013 was awarded to Jeremy Corbyn, MP Islington North on 26th November 2013 at Portcullis House. Thank you to all who attended You can read Jerem…
GANDHIFOUNDATION.ORG

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-05-29, 8:32 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Why was this never widely reported? It is IMPOSSIBLE for a terrorist sympathiser in any form to win this Peace Prize.... IMPOSSIBLE because the board scrutinise nominees forensically and are 100% sure that their actions and background are free from bias or intent with which to condone War or aggression. In his speech Corbyn says that ALL extremism and acts of terrorism are WRONG! He also says how the UK involvement in wars in Iraq and Syria will bring reprisal to British Mainland. How is it that a man if peace is twisted by the media to represent a man of war and terror?

The Gandhi Foundation International Peace Award 2013
The Gandhi Foundation International Peace Award for 2013 was awarded to Jeremy Corbyn, MP Islington North on 26th November 2013 at Portcullis House. Thank you to all who attended You can read Jerem…
GANDHIFOUNDATION.ORG
Blair took us into Iraq against the advice of his top security advisers.  After that, 9/11 killed off the IRA support in 
America as part of the joint deal deal was that all terrorism would be tackled so that the NI problem wzs no longer a little local matter.  Deals done at the highest level.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-29, 10:22 pm

Well I just watched that q&a session on C4 tonight & thought they both did ok.
I'm still no further forward.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-30, 12:29 am

Billy D wrote:Well I just watched that q&a session on C4 tonight & thought they both did ok.
One thing was reinforced, two very different politicians with very different views.
I thought Corbyn was best in Q&A but May best with Paxman.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-30, 12:36 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Billy D wrote:Well I just watched that q&a session on C4 tonight & thought they both did ok.
One thing was reinforced, two very different politicians with very different views.
I thought Corbyn was best in Q&A but May best with Paxman.
Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you.
Still undecided though.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-05-30, 9:27 am

I am sure things are getting too americanised here, shouldnt we be voting for a party that suits our needs, policies closest to our beliefs. And not on a PM. This isn't a presidential election or in our case Prime Minister. Ok you dont like Corbyn so you vote tory and get a load of changes you abhor, your fault. Vote for the party that will serve you best.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-05-30, 9:54 am

vinkel wrote:I am sure things are getting too americanised here, shouldnt we be voting for a party that suits our needs, policies closest to our beliefs. And not on a PM. This isn't a presidential election or in our case Prime Minister. Ok you dont like Corbyn so you vote tory and get a load of changes you abhor, your fault. Vote for the party that will serve you best.
Hear hear. If, in general, the policies in one mamifesto reflect what you want fir the future that is the party to vote for. Even if certain individuals are not your cup of tea, I always think people will not be around forever, so it's the policies that count.

One thing that came across loud and clear last night was that Corbyn will always seek the views of interested parties when addressing an issue before agreeing a consensual decision that all can live with. Hence his personal views on Trident and the monarchy fir exampke, are not reflected in the latest manifesto. So he does listen and he was right to emphasise this because not listening is something politicians are often accused of.

May on the other hand came across as a leader with dictatorial tendencies. She does not listen hence the u turns in the recent budgets and even in the latest manifesto. If she does not listen to advice then this implies she thinks she knows it all. The reactions of the police office, teacher and nurse said it all for me. Their expressions said May wasn't listening to their real concerns and not accepting responsibility for addressing them.

It was interesting last night but felt Paxman was poor, interrupting for the sake of it, and not moving on to get more questions in, in an effort to trap both Corbyn and May, which I don't think helped anyone.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-05-30, 11:23 am

Hear hear. If, in general, the policies in one mamifesto reflect what you want fir the future that is the party to vote for. Even if certain individuals are not your cup of tea, I always think people will not be around forever, so it's the policies that count.

Can't stand Theresa May and I don't really like Jeremy Corbyn.....unfortunately it's going to be one or the other we have as Prime minister.....

I see things pretty simply,over the years I see the country going back to Victorian times.You're either rich or you break your back working to make the rich richer as you struggle just to survive and provide for your family.The only pay rises you see in the company that I work for is if you're on minimum wage and the government raises it.Ask for a pay rise and they plead poverty (no money/austerity) or say no and tell you if you don't like it leave.Meanwhile they brag about how the company has grown turning over x millions more over the past few years and their cars have gone from ordinary to Porche and Maserati's.
Over the years I have seen schools asking for money toward school trips etc (sometimes the only time disadvantaged children get to go anywhere) Some schools are now so hard up they're asking for money just to provide books! It's hard to find enough teachers for schools,pupils are leaving with poor exam results...but hey, the solution is to build more grammer schools?
The NHS is on the brink of collapse because of lack of funds.Some beds are clogged up with people who should have been released into care but there's a lack of that because of cuts.There's a lack of nurses because of low pay and even longer hours needed to work because of shortages.We need more nurses, but the bursary that trainee nurses used to get that helped them through their training (when they don't get paid) have been taken away.I was taken into hospital and have seen the great work our Doctors and nurses do despite the lack of funds.Indeed, if the NHS had been privatised like they say they want to do, I'm afraid I could possibly have been dead by now as I doubt I could have found the money for my operation and care. If the NHS is privatised,can I claim all the National Insurance I have paid over the years?
Brexit shouldn't be an issue in this election,Theresa May saying if you vote for her she'll conduct the negotiations better than Corbyn...why call an election she would have been doing the negotiation anyway would she not?
I could go on and on...foodbanks,zero hour contracts, cuts to benefits,bedroom tax,dementia tax,pensions,hard weather payments cuts to services (like police, firemen,army).More and more things taken away from the less well off and the working class, yet they are expected to pay for more and more things themselves.
Voting for a different party other than the Tories or Labour will leave the Tories in control,so although I don't agree  with Corbyn on immigration or nuclear weapons or whether he's a man of peace or an IRA sympathiser, the Labour policy's offer the best choice in my opinion,therefore,rightly or wrongly  I have decided to vote for him...... 
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-05-30, 5:57 pm

We have 9 days to change the face of the UK and bring fairness back to the many.
It seems so long ago since David Cameron mocked Corbyn and his dress sense but oh how Corbyn has changed in appearance and confidence. He now looks every inch a PM.

If labour win don't be surprised to see a reshuffle with some far left out and moderates back because just has a bad defeat could split Labour victory will unite it.
2 massive mistakes IMO from the Tories.
1. Going hard on Corbyn's IRA links and opposition to trident.
Many have IRA fatigue and are now looking forward rather than back.
2. Pitching the election on the strong and stable Theresa May against the week and inept Corbyn. The more we see of both the less inept Corbyn looks and the less strong and stable May seems.
I honestly believe a better future is just days away.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-05-30, 8:04 pm

I love Denis Skinner!  Very Happy Very Happy

Denis Skinner‏ [ltr]@BolsoverBeast[/ltr]  May 29
[size=1]More
[/size]
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and Theresa May's evasions.

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-05-30, 8:35 pm

canary-dave wrote:I love Denis Skinner!  Very Happy Very Happy

Denis Skinner‏ 

[ltr]@BolsoverBeast[/ltr]

May 29
[size=1]More
[/size]
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and Theresa May's evasions.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2017-05-31, 10:12 am

Regional variations and seat by seat analysis shows that:
The Conservative Party could be in line to lose 20 seats and Labour gain nearly 30 in next week’s general election, according to new modelling by one of the country’s leading pollsters.
YouGov’s first constituency-by- constituency estimate of the election result predicts that the Tories would fall short of an overall majority by 16 seats, leading to a hung parliament.
The central projection of the model, which allows for a wide margin of error, would be a catastrophic outcome for Theresa May, who called the election when polls pointed to a landslide result. Her support appears to have plunged after the poor reception of the party manifesto, including plans to make more elderly voters pay for home care.

YouGov’s model puts the Tories on course to win 310 seats, down from the 330 they held when the election was called. Labour would get 257 seats, up from 229, the Liberal Democrats ten, up from nine, the SNP 50, down from 54, the Greens one and Plaid Cymru three. This would leave the Tories 16 seats short of the 326 they need for an overall majority in the Commons.
The projection allows for big variations, however, and suggests that the Tories could get as many as 345 seats on a good night, 15 more than at present, and as few as 274 seats on a bad night.
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 10:51 am

Well I've googled all four of my candidates & I think they're all shit.
Makes no difference anyhow as Jones will win it.
I've took an interest in politics since I was 11 years old.
I'm 50 now & Labour have always won Durham North with ease.
I don't think it's ever been anything else, that's why I'm so apathetic to it all.
I just don't care anymore as my vote means nothing.
Maybe I'll just spoil the paper as voting for any of them would leave a nasty taste in my mouth.
I'd feel dirty & need a shower afterwards.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2017-05-31, 11:23 am

I think it was the 1951 election where labour lost the general election despite getting 49% of the vote which was higher than the winning Tories.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-05-31, 11:35 am

MrRAWhite wrote:I think it was the 1951 election where labour lost the general election despite getting 49% of the vote which was higher than the winning Tories.
In 1951 Labour got 48.8% while the Tories got 48,0%.
The Tories however won 321 seats as opposed to Labour's 295.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2017-05-31, 12:08 pm

Billy D wrote:
MrRAWhite wrote:I think it was the 1951 election where labour lost the general election despite getting 49% of the vote which was higher than the winning Tories.
In 1951 Labour got 48.8% while the Tories got 48,0%.
The Tories however won 321 seats as opposed to Labour's 295.
Well I was pretty damned close marra.. Laughing

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum