SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 1 Bot

cyprussyd, talcnturnip, vinkel

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The big Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The big Question

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-04-17, 9:19 am

Just thinking of our plight at constantly fighting relegation, everyone pointing blaming fingers everywhere, but is it the simple answer that SAFC cant attract top quality to the north east? we can only get average players at best who cant find a southern team. I read SAFC are considering a London training base that would allow players to be located in London as this it seems they want to do. Paying silly money to tempt top players to relocate to the North East would be the only way but we cant do that and never could, we are already in dire straights money wise. So is Short to blame? Gut feeling is no. Unless we do a Man City and get a mega rich owner and even then i think our location would be a hurdle. Maybe that training base in London could be the answer.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: The big Question

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-17, 10:39 am

We certainly seem to struggle, manager after manager have failed to pull off that big signing. And when we do its Johnson, Rodwell, players with big reputations but who no one else wants.
Or it's a Defoe or Bent who again are not in big demand but succeed with us.

But Newcastle dont seem to have the same problem and like it or not the City and club are seen as far bigger and better than us.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-04-17, 12:10 pm

The Nags have attracted good players for years, even Boro had a period where they got hold of good players so it's not the area. SAFC won't pay the wages of good players so they won't come it is that simple. As for the training base in London to me anyway a totally pointless and potentially very costly thing to do. For example for home games they will need to be here at least the day before and at least the day after so that leaves 4 days when they will be in London, take out one of those days for travel and you have a massive three days of training, nowhere near enough, a money pit that would put the academy to shame.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-04-17, 1:29 pm

We have brought some good players through our youth 
They seem to want to move on we have bought some good players and the seem to want to move on .
If any player appears to show any good skills we sell them for profit.
Even if we attracted a up and coming young player and he turns out to be good we will sell him.
We just don't seem to want to be a top club.
Let's see what happens in the immediate future.
See if we can build a team to stay and compete.
We should be aiming for Europe not struggling each year
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  silvers on 2017-04-17, 1:31 pm

Burton is in Europe  ..
silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-04-17, 9:13 pm

Wages aside, I honestly it is a case of selling the club's future vision that is key to making any signing.  Tell a player that we also have players X Y  or Z lined up as well and it helps.

It took Alan Brown nine months to sell Sunderland to Charlie Hurley and he had a team built around him.  We had a much better history back then though.  Convincing a player we are the club of the future would take some doing.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-04-18, 8:56 am

Nostalgic wrote:Wages aside, I honestly it is a case of selling the club's future vision that is key to making any signing.  Tell a player that we also have players X Y  or Z lined up as well and it helps.

It took Alan Brown nine months to sell Sunderland to Charlie Hurley and he had a team built around him.  We had a much better history back then though.  Convincing a player we are the club of the future would take some doing.
But we never moved on 
Are we just going to be a second class club for ever 
Oxfords
Wolves
Watford
Coventry
Leeds 
Notts Forrest 
Just to mention a few.
They've all had there moments in the top flight where's ours.
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-04-18, 9:54 am

i dont think the north east has attracted top players for some time now, the premiership has evolved and the north east is getting left behind. Apart from the power house teams in the north west the premiership is going more and more southern based. Players just dont want to relocate up here. They like the bright lights warmer temperatures or whatever their reasons are unfortunately this is where we are.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-04-18, 10:03 am

Yeh everything's moved on 
Except us
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-18, 10:09 am

I watched a bit on Sky last night and Garry Neviell made some good points.
With Brighten coming up and possibly Reading and us and Boro probably going down Yorkshire and the northeast were just about gone in the premiership.

Scary times.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-04-18, 10:32 am

These southern clubs seem to handle the premiership much better
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-18, 11:28 am

Vincemac wrote:These southern clubs seem to handle the premiership much better
Nearer to London and the 'lifestyle' professional footballers seem to want these days IMO.

Even the Manchester and Liverpool clubs struggle to keep their 'best' players happy these days.

Don't know what the answer is except for the Premier League to realise that competition is essential to having a good 'competition' and making it easier somehow to ensure good players are spread around the country and clubs in the league (a la USA style possibly?) But cannot see it as they seem generally happy that more and more money and top players are being concentrated in fewer and fewer clubs.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-04-18, 12:15 pm

IMHO it is all about money!
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  silvers on 2017-04-18, 2:01 pm

Or in OUR case..... the lack of it....
silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-04-18, 9:00 pm

Vincemac wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Wages aside, I honestly it is a case of selling the club's future vision that is key to making any signing.  Tell a player that we also have players X Y  or Z lined up as well and it helps.

But we never moved on 
Oxfords
Wolves
Watford
Coventry
Leeds 
Notts Forrest 
Just to mention a few.
Exactly my point Vince, at the time they had manager's who mainly built teams of selected players and not big buys. Leeds are a classic example of overstretch in finance via Ridsdale.  The rest mainly went into decline when managers went for big buys, Clough included, and then  tried to maintain their status via finance.  By the way a more recent case was QPR.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2017-04-19, 9:43 am

Nostalgic wrote:
Vincemac wrote:

But we never moved on 
Oxfords
Wolves
Watford
Coventry
Leeds 
Notts Forrest 
Just to mention a few.
Exactly my point Vince, at the time they had manager's who mainly built teams of selected players and not big buys. Leeds are a classic example of overstretch in finance via Ridsdale.  The rest mainly went into decline when managers went for big buys, Clough included, and then  tried to maintain their status via finance.  By the way a more recent case was QPR.
Let's just hope the future has more to offer
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum