SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Who is online?
In total there are 20 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 1 Bot

black fox, SAFA Mackem, sunderpitt

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am

Sunderland AFC is approaching a crossroads in its history

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sunderland AFC is approaching a crossroads in its history

Post  cyprussyd on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Sunderland AFC is approaching a crossroads in its history with a major summer overhaul on the cards 

RICHARD MENNEAR Email 08:24Friday 07 April 2017 0 HAVE YOUR SAY 

Sunderland AFC is rapidly approaching arguably one of the biggest crossroads in the club’s history. 

The club has been a member of the Premier League for a decade, but come August, the Black Cats will be playing Championship football unless there is a great escape of epic proportions. Costly defeats to Watford and Leicester City in the space of four days – two games under-fire manager David Moyes had earmarked to pick up points – coupled with results elsewhere sees Sunderland 10 points adrift with eight games to go. 

Not impossible – victory over Manchester United is a must on Sunday if they are to kick-start a City’s fading hopes – but the club’s luck seems to have finally run out. It leaves the club facing a major summer of upheaval and overhaul, although in truth it is clear that is needed even if they do pull off a miracle escape. 

This is the fifth straight season Sunderland have flirted dangerously with the drop. Patience has worn very thin on Wearside. Should the worst happen and the club be relegated to the second tier for the first time in 10-years then the decisions this summer will dictate the future of the club for the next 10 years. With mounting debt, will the finances be there to mount a promotion push? 

Will Ellis Short still be in charge or will the club be under new ownership? Which players will need to be sold to help balance the books? The 2016-17 campaign has been a remarkably miserable one from a Sunderland point of view. Putting the seemingly endless off-field problems to one side for a moment, on the pitch, results have been appalling. 
Fans have had just five league wins in eight months to cheer. Twenty defeats in the 30 games played so far. 20. Incredible. With just 24 goals to celebrate all season too. Injuries have crippled Sunderland at key points of the season but a points tally of 20 from 30 games is still well below par, especially when you consider Sunderland have one of the best goalkeepers in Jordan Pickford and strikers in Jermain Defoe in the league. No blame can be attached to those two. And whichever league Sunderland are playing in, the chances of either staying would seem remote. 

Pickford is a Washington lad, he loves the club he grew up supporting. It was a dream of his to become Sunderland’s number one. But bigger clubs are circling with plenty of interest in the England Under-21 international, surely destined to be number one for his country too one day. Defoe, we know, has a clause which allows the 34-year-old to move for free should the worst happen and the club be relegated. Nobody could begrudge him a move given all he has done in his two-and-a-bit-years on Wearside. 

Could Sunderland keep hold of him even if they stayed up? Sunderland would command a big fee for Pickford, they would also hope to attract big money for Lamine Kone too despite his dip in form. Kone was a powerhouse when he arrived from Lorient. His performances this season haven’t matched that level but there will be plenty of interest in him. Elsewhere, Sunderland have several players up for grabs on a free this summer, should they not be offered new deals. Skipper John O’Shea, Seb Larsson, Victor Anichebe, Steven Pienaar, Joleon Lescott, Jan Kirchhoff and George Honeyman are all in the final months of their current deals. Rightly, the club are not in any negotiations over possible new deals until their fate is known. It remains to be seen which are offered deals and whether they would stay. Meanwhile, loanees Javier Manquillo will return to Atletico Madrid, Jason Denayer to Manchester City and Adnan Januzaj to Manchester United. Other players may also agitate for a move, those wanting to stay in the top flight or move abroad. Given how little Moyes has used him it would be no surprise to see Wahbi Khazri depart. Sunderland will need the cash. Jeremain Lens, out on loan, will move too. And there will be decisions to make over the likes of Vito Mannone, Didier Ndong, Fabio Borini and Jack Rodwell. A core group will remain but a major summer overhaul is inevitable. And the decisions at the top will shape the future of the club for a decade to come.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland AFC is approaching a crossroads in its history

Post  gil t azell on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm hoping this is a masterplan.

Im hoping Martin Bain is going to be our saviour.

I'm hoping that the rotten core at this club will finally be gone this summer.

I'm hoping the club has already been sold.

Hoping new owners want a more attack minded less stubborn manager although I can accept Moysy staying. Alt: we could be daft and offer SKP the job.

Theres a lot of hope there but I'm afraid we are gonna be building from the championship. Me one of the most optimistic fans is finally starting to accept the EPL is over for now.

PS, watch SAFC win on Sunday just to prolong the agony. Its what we do.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 pm

I would keep N'dong if we can. Starting to look a decent player and is young. I would keep Denayer if poss. Not the finished article but is good imo.

Picks will only leave SAFC in desperation and I would admit if the worst happens he will have a release clause stating we get 1st option to buy him back. Given a choice he will stay.

I also think Love n McNair will be very good acquisitions for the Chumpionship.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:08 am

Supposedly the players take a 30-50% wage cut if we are relegated (which looks likely)
If we are relegated I'm guessing players who think they're better than they think they are i.e Kone and Borini will be away anyway 
Lens and I guess Khazri will be sold...Mannone is supposedly wanting a return to Italy
All of this will free up money on the wages side and bring in a little cash to enable a re-build
Keep O'Shea for another season and Cattermole and their experience will help the youngsters (who I guess will be the mainstay of our team next year) and the fortunes of the team may start to change

One conflicting thing that bothers me is that earlier this season Moyes said we may have to sell Pickford (like he did with Rooney) to fund a re-build and yet in the same breath says he wants him to stay 

Imo the biggest mistake would be to force a player that loves and wants to play for the club and would be one of the main pieces needed to build a good team next year out the door for a wad of cash....if it's true and Mannone leaves and we also sell Pickford...we would be in a stupid position where we would have to splash the cash to buy a decent keeper and they don't come cheap!....dosen't make sense to me

Cloughie believed getting the spine of the team strong and building around it....I would like to see our spine being Pickford O'Shea (for one season) Cattermole and a good forward (who know who this could be, the hardest place to fill!) with the rest made up of who's left...ie Jones Djilibodji Watmore and hungry youngsters like Gooch Honeyman etc....experience and youth could be a good blend?

I still hang on to the last few straws that all of these things won't need to happen but unfortunately it's looking more likely Sad

Who knows what the future brings??
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:32 am

David Moyes has warned Sunderland need big investment in the summer to stop their slide.
The Black Cats boss admits there will be a huge turnover of players, no matter what division they end up in.

Moyes says he was left short at the start of this season after taking over from Sam Allardyce – and says he could find himself in the same situation come August.
He has yet to have a conversation with owner Ellis Short and MD Martin Bain to plan for next term, because he is still not giving up the slim hope of a late survival bid.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Defoe could depart in the summer (Photo: Getty Images Europe)
Around 12 players are likely to be shown the door in the summer, with star men like Jermain Defoe, Lamine Kone and Jordan Pickford likely to leave, the veteran striker on a free and the other two for up to £30million.
Moyes will turn to British players with connections to the north when rebuilding, and he said: “We were short of players last summer, again in January, and will be again at the end of the season, because a lot of players are out of contract.
“Whatever league we are in, that will be the case. We will have to work really hard on recruiting and some of that will need finance. Some of that will be boys on free transfers.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Black Cats must rebuild, says Moyes (Photo: REUTERS)
READ MORE

• David Moyes under the spotlight following remarks to female reporter

“It’s part of the rebuilding and, hopefully, we are in the Premier League to do it. That has to be the first priority. But if we are not, we have to find a way of getting things picked up.”
Sunderland will not go for cheap foreign imports any more, because Moyes believes they don’t settle as well, and often don’t provide the dressing-room leadership needed.
He said: “I would like players who understand this region and this part of the world. I would love to say I could actually fulfil that but I cannot promise.

“This region is more suited to British-type players. That should be the starting point – to get back to those roots.”

CLICK TO PLAY

WATCH NEXTGareth Bale and Real Madrid train ahead of clash 

[size=36]JOSE MOURINHO ADMITS HE HAS SYMPATHY WITH STRUGGLING SUNDERLAND BOSS DAVID MOYES  [/size]

READ MORE

• David Moyes to avoid reunion with Vicki Sparks this weekend

Moyes insists he has kept fully focused during a week in which he has been at the centre of a storm over his “slap” comment.
He added: “It has just been normal. I have done the work I have had to do with the players. You have hard weeks. If we were winning, everything would be much easier.”

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 am

Not sure we are approaching a crossroads more like hurtling at full pelt with no brakes.
Our saleable assets will go no matter where they are from or how much they love the club. Get rid of all the old and injury prone as that is one of the reasons we are in this mess. I think Moyes will be gone by season end if not sooner, whether that's a good or bad thing is for individuals to decide on.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 am

oldblackcat wrote:Supposedly the players take a 30-50% wage cut if we are relegated (which looks likely)
If we are relegated I'm guessing players who think they're better than they think they are i.e Kone and Borini will be away anyway 
Lens and I guess Khazri will be sold...Mannone is supposedly wanting a return to Italy
All of this will free up money on the wages side and bring in a little cash to enable a re-build
Keep O'Shea for another season and Cattermole and their experience will help the youngsters (who I guess will be the mainstay of our team next year) and the fortunes of the team may start to change

One conflicting thing that bothers me is that earlier this season Moyes said we may have to sell Pickford (like he did with Rooney) to fund a re-build and yet in the same breath says he wants him to stay 

Imo the biggest mistake would be to force a player that loves and wants to play for the club and would be one of the main pieces needed to build a good team next year out the door for a wad of cash....if it's true and Mannone leaves and we also sell Pickford...we would be in a stupid position where we would have to splash the cash to buy a decent keeper and they don't come cheap!....dosen't make sense to me

Cloughie believed getting the spine of the team strong and building around it....I would like to see our spine being Pickford O'Shea (for one season) Cattermole and a good forward (who know who this could be, the hardest place to fill!) with the rest made up of who's left...ie Jones Djilibodji Watmore and hungry youngsters like Gooch Honeyman etc....experience and youth could be a good blend?

I still hang on to the last few straws that all of these things won't need to happen but unfortunately it's looking more likely Sad

Just posted something similar on another thread - should read them all before posting eh? Very Happy

I still think Pickford will be sold, not for the rebuild money but for the fact he knows he dserves to play in the Premier league. But like you I imagine the boost to the supporters if he said I want to stay and get us promoted. He would become a legend! Very Happy

And you never know maybe Defoe will think you know where else am I going to get what I have here? Quality of life, adoring fans and probably scoring goals for fun in the Championship. I have not given up hope that he will decide to stay on either,

See no matter how sad and angry we are at our plight, we all look for the rays of comfort, the light at the end of the tunnel. we cannot help ourselves Laughing
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Some positive noises about the youngsters we have and how they could do in the Championship. Pretty positive myself about this but please stop with Cattermole crap. He's a rubbish player who can't pass for toffee. He's been a massive part of a rubbish team for a long time. Just because he seemingly malkes an effort by fouling whoever he can doesn't make him any use.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:10 am

Kipper wrote:Some positive noises about the youngsters we have and how they could do in the Championship. Pretty positive  myself about this but please stop with  Cattermole crap. He's a rubbish player  who can't pass for toffee. He's been a massive part of a rubbish team for a long time. Just because he seemingly malkes an effort by fouling whoever  he can doesn't make him any use.

I've said before Cattermole isn't the fantastic player some of our fans think he is,however say what you like about him,he's been missed this season.The point is until we can get someone better we'll have to work with the players we have left.For all of his faults I think he's the ideal player to sit in front of the back four and his experience (along with O'Shea's) will help bring on our youngsters
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
oldblackcat wrote:Supposedly the players take a 30-50% wage cut if we are relegated (which looks likely)

Just posted something similar on another thread - should read them all before posting eh? Very Happy

I still think Pickford will be sold, not for the rebuild money but for the fact he knows he dserves to play in the Premier league. But like you I imagine the boost to the supporters if he said I want to stay and get us promoted. He would become a legend! Very Happy

And you never know maybe Defoe will think you know where else am I going to get what I have here? Quality of life, adoring fans and probably scoring goals for fun in the Championship. I have not given up hope that he will decide to stay on either,

See no matter how sad and angry we are at our plight, we all look for the rays of comfort, the light at the end of the tunnel. we cannot help ourselves Laughing
the lure of a one last hurrah for England in the 2018 world cup finals will be to much for JD to stay alas H

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum