SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Wolverhampton Wanderers V Sunderland AFC Match Day Thread
Yesterday at 10:49 pm by Kipper

» Walking Fottball
Yesterday at 6:09 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» I know we should be the last to call anyone
Yesterday at 8:58 am by oldblackcat

» Jermain Defoe World Class Goal for Bournemouth Against Palace .
Yesterday at 8:49 am by oldblackcat

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM
Yesterday at 8:43 am by sunderpitt

» January target ?
Yesterday at 8:33 am by cretanmakem

» Quiz 75
2017-12-09, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» It's bloody cold
2017-12-09, 8:35 pm by Billy D

» The Ashes Down Under
2017-12-09, 7:43 pm by Billy D

» Predicitons Week 16
2017-12-09, 6:51 am by gil t azell

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Sunderland v Manchester United..Match Day Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sunderland v Manchester United..Match Day Thread

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-05, 8:45 am

Sunderland v Manchester United
Sunday April 9th
KO 13.30
Live on Sky Sports

With 8 games to go and the future looking bleak I'm sure many will opt to stay at home or visit the pub to watch the first of Sky Sports Super Sunday games, hopefully that will mean a quicker journey home for me after the game.

Hopefully the combination of a game we are expected to lose plus relegation becoming a lot more of a certainty we will see the pressure lifted and a better outcome for us.

My predicted team..

PICKFORD
JONES KONE DENAYER OVIEDO
N'DONG  CATTERMOLE  RODWELL KHAZRI
ANCHEBE DEFOE

Will he start Khazri, I hope so.

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2017-04-09, 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland v Manchester United..Match Day Thread

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-06, 1:47 pm

David Moyes has tasked his side with upsetting the applecart and defeating Manchester United this weekend at the Stadium of Light.
The Sunderland boss was left frustrated following successive defeats against Watford and Leicester City, with the Scot now targeting victories against some of the Premier League’s elite sides.
The Black Cats still have to face United, Arsenal and Chelsea, but, crucially, they will also take on Middlesbrough, Hull City and Swansea City – the three teams directly above them – before the end of the season.
And speaking ahead of Saturday's game against the Red Devils, Moyes challenged his side to repeat the feat of seasons gone by.
“The players have been here before and we will keep going, it’s still within our hands to stay up and we’ll make sure that we do that.
“At the moment we’re struggling to find those goals, and I really believed that to give us a real chance we needed to win one of these away games."
He added: “I think the boys have given a good go at it, so there’s no faulting them and I think they’ve done everything they can.
“What I hadn’t put down was a win against a Manchester United – or an Arsenal or Chelsea – in our remaining fixtures, so we now have to win at least one of those games.
“It’s Manchester United next, so let’s see if we can win that one.”

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-04-07, 7:40 am

Defeatist Moyes still has a chance against Manchester United

A succession of ludicrous events has befallen the world since the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson but none quite so ludicrous as when he decided that David Moyes should succeed him. In order to earn the job himself, Ferguson had overtaken the Old Firm and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], at a time when United were struggling. Moyes, however, was somehow presented with the league champions, a decision still intensifying in peculiarity four years on – all the more so following [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] earlier this week. On the pitch it is not that Sunderland are going to go down but that they will do so without ever threatening to stay up, without ever appearing to make an effort. There has been no defiant run – at no point this season have they gone more than two games without defeat – which reflects Moyes’ defeatist attitude, and the institutional inertia for which he is such an obliging frontman. Although he inherited a young, shallow squad, he also has a reliable scorer, the single most important ingredient for relegation-avoidance: if Jermain Defoe played for any of their rivals, they would already be safe. However, Sunderland have hope against Manchester United, who are playing without confidence and verve, are regularly criticised by their manager and frequently informed that they are tired and lacking confidence. This does not seem like the best way to resolve these putative problems and, if Sunderland can start quickly and well, they might find some success; United’s 20-game unbeaten run says more about their opponents than it does about them. DH
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-07, 8:27 am

I know I'm going against the grain, again, but I really think Moyes is getting a very unfair bad time off everyone, in particular the media.

All the clever buggers are telling us what a disaster it was making him Man U manager, I cant remember any of them saying it at the time.

I know I'm getting on but my memory is still OK and I well remember him being the top target for many when he was at Everton, many Sunderland fans dreamt of him coming here.

I dont accept for one minute that any of our competitors would now be safe with Defoe, our problems are not Defoe and we all know it.

On Sunday I will be there doing what I can to support the team, it is, IMO, what supporters do.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2017-04-07, 8:35 am

cyprussyd wrote:I know I'm going against the grain, again, but I really think Moyes is getting a very unfair bad time off everyone, in particular the media.

All the clever buggers are telling us what a disaster it was making him Man U manager, I cant remember any of them saying it at the time.

I know I'm getting on but my memory is still OK and I well remember him being the top target for many when he was at Everton, many Sunderland fans dreamt of him coming here.

I dont accept for one minute that any of our competitors would now be safe with Defoe, our problems are not Defoe and we all know it.

On Sunday I will be there doing what I can to support the team, it is, IMO, what supporters do.
Well said that man, and with a bit of luck it will be a happy bus home  finger cross

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-04-07, 9:26 am

cyprussyd wrote:I know I'm going against the grain, again, but I really think Moyes is getting a very unfair bad time off everyone, in particular the media.

Moyes may turn out to be not the man for the job but imo needs a fair chance which he hasn't had imo. Saying that I really like the Bournemouth manager and would love him at SAFC at some point.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-07, 10:21 am

Moyes was never my choice to start with but I was prepared to give him a chance. But sadly for me he has failed. I appreciate the injuries and lack of money to buy players haven't helped but of the playes he has bought/loaned I only rate Oviedo and N'Dong. And M'Vila would have been the better option there.

Being married to an Everton fan I knew that by time he left them the fans were fed up with his negativity, inabiity to put the right team out, make game changing subs and penchant for falling out with players. Sound familiar?

When we are relegated (inevitable now I believe) I think he will leave or be sacked and I hope we bring in a new young manager, like Eddie Howe (not that he would come of course as Bournemouth are doing so well), to bring some life and soul back to the club. Crying or Very sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-07, 10:40 am

Well lets sack Moyes, bring in another manager, we have tried old, young, experienced and all have failed then next season when he is failing because we dont support him financially we can do it all over again.

BTW, Moyes was never my choice but I dont see anyone succeeding right now.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-07, 11:37 am

In 10 full seasons at Everton, Moyes has guided Everton to an impressive eight top half finishes. An improvement on where the club was when he took over, narrowly above the drop zone before steering them to 15th position and safety at the end of the 2001/02 season.
Of those top half finishes, only four have resulted in competing in Europe the following season. His best season was arguably 2004/05 where he guided the Toffees to a 4th-place finish and a Champions League berth. However, qualification proved too tough for David Moyes’ side who lost both legs to Spanish side Villarreal in the playoffs and had to settle for another UEFA Cup experience. That competition only lasted two games too, being thrashed 5-2 on aggregate by Dinamo Bucharest.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-04-07, 12:21 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Well lets sack Moyes, bring in another manager, we have tried old, young, experienced and all have failed then next season when he is failing because we dont support him financially we can do it all over again.

you could get Jesus in to replace Moyes and nothing would change. We all know our problems are at board level and until its addressed we will carry on the same.
Go into administration clear the decks start again, yes its a big risk but hey we cant go on year after year like this. Doing that though and Short will have a very poor asset to flog so cant see that happening. Getting the debt down will be the paramount thing to do before anything else.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-04-07, 12:46 pm

barrowmackem wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:Well lets sack Moyes, bring in another manager, we have tried old, young, experienced and all have failed then next season when he is failing because we dont support him financially we can do it all over again.

you could get Jesus in to replace Moyes and nothing would change. We all know our problems are at board level and until its addressed we will carry on the same.
Go into administration clear the decks start again, yes its a big risk but hey we cant go on year after year like this. Doing that though and Short will have a very poor asset to flog so cant see that happening. Getting the debt down will be the paramount thing to do before anything else.

Time for Niall Quinn to find another owner - third time lucky?

Oh, and apologies for my earlier post - I think this thread was supposed to be about a football match.

So anybody think they know how we can beat Man U?
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-04-07, 3:50 pm

It's going to be a sunny day Sunday, I could go and see if after several games Sunderland can score a goal....or I could play golf or see my mother... Wink
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2017-04-07, 9:49 pm

Anything less than a total twatting would be good.
We're f*cked anyway so who cares.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-07, 9:53 pm

Billy D wrote:Anything less than a total twatting would be good.
We're f*cked anyway so who cares.
Many of us care

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-04-08, 7:19 am

We always play better against the "bigger" teams...and the only thing certain about football...is that nothing is certain Laughing
We haven't beaten Man utd at home for billions of years now but there's always a first/next time
Things look bleak....but you've still got to believe,otherwise what's the point?....if the players give 100% anything could happen
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-04-08, 9:58 am

oldblackcat wrote:We always play better against the "bigger" teams...and the only thing certain about football...is that nothing is certain Laughing
We haven't beaten Man utd at home for billions of years now but there's always a first/next time
Things look bleak....but you've still got to believe,otherwise what's the point?....if the players give 100% anything could happen
big kiss
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-08, 3:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-04-08, 4:23 pm

Man U are sh*te. We are even sh*ttier but we will win. A Borini hat trick.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-08, 4:31 pm

gil t azell wrote:Man U are sh*te. We are even sh*ttier but we will win. A Borini hat trick.
The fight back starts, only 7 points behind with a game in hand

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-08, 4:55 pm

Well results have gone for us so far this weekend, its not over till its over

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-08, 7:06 pm

TEAM NEWS

John O'Shea is at home in Ireland after the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], having also missed the defeat to Leicester.
Victor Anichebe is pushing for a recall but on-loan winger Adnan Januzaj is ineligible to face his parent club.
Antonio Valencia will return at right-back after being rested, with Paul Pogba also likely to start.
Ashley Young is out after picking up a knock against Everton and Wayne Rooney is also sidelined with an ankle injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: "In response to criticism of his Stoke side, then-manager Alan Durban was misquoted as once saying: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (He may actually have said 'watch a bunch of clowns').
"The relevance? Mr Durban moved on to Sunderland, where he was responsible for the last time they went more games without scoring than currently.
"With Sunderland, the circus reference sometimes feels far too apt as well. But entertainment is way down the list of priorities for both teams.
"If United fail to win at the Stadium of Light then it really might be all about the Europa League.
"For Sunderland, it's long felt about a return to the English Football League they left a decade ago. A drawn out, sorry saga."
Twitter: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Sunderland manager David Moyes: "The players have been here before and we will keep going; it's still within our hands to stay up and we'll make sure that we do that.
"I think the boys have given a good go at it, so there's no faulting them and I think they've done everything they can.
"What I hadn't put down was a win against a Manchester United - or an Arsenal or Chelsea - in our remaining fixtures, so we now have to win at least one of those games."
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "It's good to know that we have a fantastic run of 20 unbeaten matches in the Premier League.
"In terms of looking to the future, I prefer to look at 10 matches with 10 draws, you have something that is not easy to have. You are quite solid mentally, difficult to beat, fighting
against difficult circumstances."
And Mourinho on Moyes: "I have sympathy with every manager that is fighting hard to reach their objectives.
"Some of us, we are sacked in the middle of the season. It's difficult for everyone, so of course I have sympathy."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Sunderland have not scored in any of their past six matches and I think they know the game is up. Another great escape is not going to happen now.
I am not expecting Manchester United to just brush the Black Cats aside, though.
Sunderland may well start with a defensive outlook, but they need to win and ultimately they will give United more room.
Prediction: 0-2
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

• Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jermain Defoe is one of only six Sunderland players to score in the Premier League this season.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Sunderland have won just three games against Manchester United in 31 Premier League meetings (D6, L22).

• However, Manchester United haven't won in their last three visits to the Stadium of Light (D1, L2).

Sunderland

• Sunderland have failed to score in six consecutive top-flight matches for the first time since a run of eight games in October 1981.

• Their only victory in the last 13 Premier League matches came at Crystal Palace on 4 February (D3, L9).

• The Black Cats have 20 points from 30 Premier League games this season - no side has survived with as few points at this stage of the season.

• Jermain Defoe has gone six league games without a goal and has never scored against a side managed by Jose Mourinho in 13 attempts.

• David Moyes has lost 15 Premier League matches against Manchester United (W3, D5).

Manchester United

• The Red Devils are undefeated in 20 Premier League games (W10, D10).

• They are also on their longest unbeaten away run in the league since August 2013, winning six of their last eight away games (D2).

• However, Manchester United have drawn 12 league games this season, the most since they drew 13 matches in 1998-99.

• Jose Mourinho has amassed 54 points in his first 29 Premier League games as Manchester United manager, two fewer than Louis van Gaal.

• Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored eight goals in his last seven Premier League away games.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  canary-dave on 2017-04-08, 7:55 pm

Try and scrape a win like we did v Reading!   Laughing

canary-dave
Admin Spammer Swatter

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-08, 7:56 pm

canary-dave wrote:Try and scrape a win like we did v Reading!   Laughing
like like like like like like like

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-04-09, 7:11 am

Well its match day again and I still get that happy feeling of expectation, playing Man U only adds to that.

For me there is still nothing to beat being in the stadium for a live game, don't do pubs and Sky is OK but not anything like watching live for me.

I know many will not agree but I still expect around 40,000 to join me and what a gorgeous day for it, no layers today.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-04-09, 8:13 am

Yep I agree Syd....nothing beats being in the stadium for a live game...especially when its good weather Smile
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum