SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 3:48 am by cretanmakem

» Results of week 9 and fixtures for week10
Yesterday at 11:13 pm by Hieronymus

» Martin Bain on Simon Grayson
Yesterday at 7:55 pm by sunderpitt

» Morrisons Jarrow
Yesterday at 7:52 pm by cyprussyd

» Manager Sacked
Yesterday at 7:35 pm by Nostalgic

» The way forward
Yesterday at 12:15 pm by vinkel

» I had a dream
Yesterday at 6:46 am by cyprussyd

» Quiz 68
2017-10-22, 9:34 pm by Nostalgic

» Quiz 69
2017-10-22, 9:32 pm by Nostalgic

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
2017-10-22, 9:30 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Pickford

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pickford

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-03-05, 9:45 am

Sunderland's David Moyes keen to keep hold of 'exceptional' Jordan Pickford despite growing list of elite admirers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Pickford - likened to Joe Hart by his manager - could be on Manchester City's summer shortlist CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

4 MARCH 2017 • 10:00PM

Jordan Pickford has plenty of admirers after a sensational breakthrough season at Sunderland, but David Moyes has urged him to resist the temptation to leave, even if Manchester City try to sign him as a replacement for Joe Hart in the summer.
City will be looking for a new goalkeeper, with Willy Caballero out of contract and Hart unwanted by manager Pep Guardiola when his loan spell at Torino ends.
With Claudio Bravo’s performances continuing to attract heavy criticism, despite Guardiola’s persistent defence of the Chilean, Pickford is an attractive option, particularly as he will also help City to fill their quota of domestic players.

The 22-year-old has been watched extensively by City scouts and his form this season confirms him as one of the best goalkeeping prospects in Europe.
Sunderland sources have told The Telegraph they anticipate City will be one of the clubs bidding for the most exciting player to have emerged from their Academy since current Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pickford is likely to be in huge demand this summer CREDIT: PA

Henderson was sold for £16 million six years ago, but Pickford could attract even larger offers. Arsenal have also shown a strong interest and might have bid in January if the England Under-21 international had not picked up a knee ligament injury. 
Liverpool are also scouting him regularly, although they are more likely to move for Hart at the end of the season.
Despite the interest from more glamorous rivals, Moyes has warned Pickford his career will suffer if he leaves Sunderland too early.
“He has just started his career and he has done all the right things up to this point,” said Moyes. 

Moyes has no intention of cashing in on his young goalkeeper CREDIT: PA

“It’s a difficult position he plays in and I think the best thing for Jordan is for him to continue his progress at Sunderland. He has shown you can get in the England team playing for a club like Sunderland, because as a goalkeeper, you’re going to get worked and he is playing every week. It’s not a problem for us, at the moment. We have no interest in selling him, but we are braced for bids. We know there is going to be interest.
“I’ve said before, in the process of building a club up, you have to sell people, but I hope it’s not Jordan. He’s been exceptional and most people see him as one of the brightest young talents around.” 
None of that is likely to deter Pickford’s suitors and the Black Cats will find if difficult to persuade the player – and particularly his agent – that he should stay put if they are playing in the Championship next season.
Moyes, though, also mischievously, given Guardiola’s dislike of the player, claimed City would be signing a goalkeeper just like Hart if they do try to lure him to Etihad Stadium.

Claudio Bravo has been unconvincing for Manchester City since he replaced Joe HartCREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“If I had to compare him to anyone, it would be Joe Hart,” added Moyes. “The way they move, their stature, even their attitudes. He can have a really good career, like Joe Hart, but he needs to stay at Sunderland for a few more years.
“There is no rush. He has to get the timing right, there is no point going somewhere where he is not going to be a regular starter.
“For me, Jordan is an old-fashioned goalkeeper, he does the things I like – makes saves, wins you points and he is brave enough to come for crosses. His distribution will improve, it’s very long at the minute, but it’s maybe not as accurate as some would like.” 

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pickford

Post  Kipper on 2017-03-05, 10:02 am

Intereating that Moyes is slightly critical of his distribution. It's far better than I've seen from a Sunderland keeper for long time.
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-03-05, 11:39 am

The one and only thing that will keep Pickford with us next season is staying in the PL, we go down and he will go and for nowhere near what we got for Henderson as we will be desperate for funds and, barring the rest of the squad suddenly turning into Messi he will be our only saleable asset.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-03-05, 12:09 pm

talcnturnip wrote:The one and only thing that will keep Pickford with us next season is staying in the PL, we go down and he will go and for nowhere near what we got for Henderson as we will be desperate for funds and, barring the rest of the squad suddenly turning into Messi he will be our only saleable asset.
Sadly talc I have to agree iwth your slightly depressing assessment. Waaaahhhhhhh! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-03-05, 1:38 pm

Kipper wrote:Intereating that Moyes is slightly critical of his distribution. It's far better than I've seen from a Sunderland keeper for   long time.

Pickford has the best distribution I can recall from ANY Sunderland goalie.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-03-05, 1:38 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
talcnturnip wrote:The one and only thing that will keep Pickford with us next season is staying in the PL, we go down and he will go and for nowhere near what we got for Henderson as we will be desperate for funds and, barring the rest of the squad suddenly turning into Messi he will be our only saleable asset.
Sadly talc I have to agree iwth your slightly depressing assessment. Waaaahhhhhhh! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
So do I.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2017-03-05, 2:06 pm

agree talc, no prem and it will hold Pickford back playing in the championship. That wont happen he will be on his way when we go down  Wink

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-03-05, 7:06 pm

We wont go down so all is well.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-03-05, 7:13 pm

Local lad at his boyhood club.  I believe that he will have such a degree of loyalty to get us back up if we go down  that he will stay. It will also be better for his development in a team where he gets more practice than joining another club.

Two or three seasons he will be the finished product as well.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-03-05, 7:54 pm

cyprussyd wrote:We wont go down so all is well.

We admire your resolve....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2017-03-10, 5:29 pm

If City's interest in Pickford is legit it surprises me.  I know Pep is desperate to get youth and home grown players into the team but we already have a good 21 year old goalie called Angus Gunn.  He came from Norwich about 6 years ago and has been doing very well.  I think he's Pickfords understudy in the under 21s.

Pickford's clearly has a big future in football and being a goalie he has a long shelf life. He needs first team football and I'm not sure he would get that at City for a while.  I strongly suspect City be be in for an older more experienced goalie in the Summer.

Also city seem to be following Chelsea's business plan of scooping up young talent, developing them and selling them on for a profit.  Now if that works for both parties fair enough but the club should be honest with the lads about their chances of eventually getting into the first team.  I'm a little annoyed about a great lad called Patrick Roberts who we bought from Fulham and then loaned him to Celtic for 18 months.  During that time we've brought other players in that are going to be hard for Roberts to shift.

Anyway, rant over.  Hope you keep him.
Sid MCFC
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-03-10, 7:18 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:If City's interest in Pickford is legit it surprises me.  I know Pep is desperate to get youth and home grown players into the team but we already have a good 21 year old goalie called Angus Gunn.  He came from Norwich about 6 years ago and has been doing very well.  I think he's Pickfords understudy in the under 21s.

Pickford's clearly has a big future in football and being a goalie he has a long shelf life. He needs first team football and I'm not sure he would get that at City for a while.  I strongly suspect City be be in for an older more experienced goalie in the Summer.

Also city seem to be following Chelsea's business plan of scooping up young talent, developing them and selling them on for a profit.  Now if that works for both parties fair enough but the club should be honest with the lads about their chances of eventually getting into the first team.  I'm a little annoyed about a great lad called Patrick Roberts who we bought from Fulham and then loaned him to Celtic for 18 months.  During that time we've brought other players in that are going to be hard for Roberts to shift.

I think you have given us a good insight into the way local talent is not given a fair shake by the elite clubs.  I absolutely hate the loan system as all it does is ensure that the big clubs keep control of some good British talent that could be blossoming within British football and maybe even improving thre national team. Another sign football has sold its sole. 

Ship in a talent from abroad and he is given a mythical twelve months to "get used the our game" whereas a youngster is judged after half a dozen games.  One like about ManC so far this season is Pep standing by Stones, something a few other clubs could practice.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2017-03-10, 7:36 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:If City's interest in Pickford is legit it surprises me.  I know Pep is desperate to get youth and home grown players into the team but we already have a good 21 year old goalie called Angus Gunn.  He came from Norwich about 6 years ago and has been doing very well.  I think he's Pickfords understudy in the under 21s.

Bryan Gunn's son?

Anyway, I'd see no reason why Pickford wouldn't quickly become ManCity's no.1. He's better than what you've got in my view but I really really really want him to stay (really).
Kipper
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2017-03-12, 12:32 pm

Nostalgic wrote:

I think you have given us a good insight into the way local talent is not given a fair shake by the elite clubs.  I absolutely hate the loan system as all it does is ensure that the big clubs keep control of some good British talent that could be blossoming within British football and maybe even improving thre national team. Another sign football has sold its sole. 

Ship in a talent from abroad and he is given a mythical twelve months to "get used the our game" whereas a youngster is judged after half a dozen games.  One like about ManC so far this season is Pep standing by Stones, something a few other clubs could practice.
That's were I'm coming from.  The loan system can work well for all parties concerned but not when the richer clubs start abusing the situation.  Chelsea have been doing it for years and it looks like City are starting to follow their lead.  Being selfish I don't want my team being classed as pariahs.  

I think it would be better if the loanee was allowed to play against his parent club.  Although I can't stand Eufa they do allow this.  Denayer wasn't allowed to play against us but Patrick Roberts played for Celtic against us in the CL.  No City fan I know thought this was wrong, just the opposite as we wanted to see his progress. (Despite the little bleeder scoring)

Your comment about Stones made me smile.  I suspect Peps loyalty to Stones is more about the rest of our defence being crap. Rolling Eyes
Sid MCFC
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2017-03-12, 1:03 pm

Kipper wrote:

Bryan Gunn's son?

Anyway, I'd see no reason why Pickford wouldn't quickly become ManCity's no.1. He's better than what you've got in my view but I really really really want him to stay (really).
Yes he is Bryan Gunns son but to be honest I hadn't realised that.

I really wasn't doubting Pickfords ability or potential and I agree he's better than Willie or that balloon Bravo.  My Jack Russell is better than Bravo!!

What I was trying to say was that it's not just Pickford that City have been linked with, we've even been linked with Neuer.  City have got a wealth of talent that have come through the academy who aren't getting playing time.  Because of the pressure on Pep for results if he had a choice between Neuer or a younger promising lad he would pick Neuer with the younger lad getting the odd cup game.  Pickfords too good for that.  Bearing that in mind Pep even swopped Hart for Bravo.  What's that about?No

Pickfords got tons of talent, hope you keep him.Very Happy
Sid MCFC
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2017-03-12, 3:46 pm

Hey Sid MUFC....I have spoken to one of Pickfords relations (don't think anyone believes me on here) he wants to play for his hometown team...yes, he is ambitious but will only leave if Sunderland  want to cash in for the money they will get for him....hopefully he stays for at least a season but who knows he could be swayed by money and promises..... only to sit on the bench for a "big" club who sign the best talent (like yourselves) just to prevent him playing/signing for a rival club Crying or Very sad
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-03-12, 4:06 pm

oldblackcat wrote:Hey Sid MUFC....I have spoken to one of Pickfords relations (don't think anyone believes me on here) he wants to play for his hometown team...yes, he is ambitious but will only leave if Sunderland  want to cash in for the money they will get for him....hopefully he stays for at least a season but who knows he could be swayed by money and promises..... only to sit on the bench for a "big" club who sign the best talent (like yourselves) just to prevent him playing/signing for a rival club Crying or Very sad
I certainly believe you OBC and hope that Pickford forms the basis of a very successful SAFC side for years to come.

Sadly I think I will be disappointed Sad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2017-03-12, 6:24 pm

oldblackcat wrote:Hey Sid MUFC....I have spoken to one of Pickfords relations (don't think anyone believes me on here) he wants to play for his hometown team...yes, he is ambitious but will only leave if Sunderland  want to cash in for the money they will get for him....hopefully he stays for at least a season but who knows he could be swayed by money and promises..... only to sit on the bench for a "big" club who sign the best talent (like yourselves) just to prevent him playing/signing for a rival club Crying or Very sad
Never had any reason not to believe you & appreciate you sharing it when it can come back to bite you via the player from "club officials"   silent

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-03-15, 7:06 am

I’ve always wanted to play for Sunderland. The club have been good to me and it’s time to pay them back now.”
Those were the heart felt words of Black Cats stopper Jordan Pickford as he reflected on his affiliation with his local area.

Jordan Pickford reflects on his Washington roots
SAFC.COM

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-03-15, 11:28 am

cyprussyd wrote:I’ve always wanted to play for Sunderland. The club have been good to me and it’s time to pay them back now.”
Those were the heart felt words of Black Cats stopper Jordan Pickford as he reflected on his affiliation with his local area.

Jordan Pickford reflects on his Washington roots
SAFC.COM
Goodness me he will never make it as a professional football player. Feelings of loyalty, remembering his roots and making the region proud - that will never catch on! Laughing

I know he means what he says too. He is self aware, and down to earth enough to understand that he would probably be sitting on the bench if he went to a so called "bigger" club anyway. Stay here Jordan and, hopefully, SAFC can get its act together and make ALL of our dreams come true!big kiss
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum