SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Predictions Week 17
Today at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 6:15 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» In plain English please
Today at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Today at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Today at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
Yesterday at 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
Yesterday at 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
Yesterday at 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
Yesterday at 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 16
Yesterday at 1:34 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 1 Bot

canary-dave

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Sunderland inform staff of redundancies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-02-21, 11:55 am

Sunderland AFC have told staff there will be redundancies at the Stadium of Light. Chief Executive Martin Bain informed personnel of the news this morning.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][size=13]Photo by Jamie McDonald/Getty Images[/size]
The announcement comes as Sunderland face unparalleled financial pressures posting consistently significant debts and embarking on various cost cutting programmes to stem the tide.
With the club facing an uncertain immediate future sitting at the foot of the Premier League table, Sunderland are presumably embarking on a three month consultation period with staff by the end of which Sunderland may know which league they will be playing in next season.
Relegation would certainly impact further on the club's financial position and a prolonged period in the Championship could be hugely damaging for a club which has debts of around £140m.

The threat of job losses has loomed large at the club for several years with relegation looking almost certain at various times in the past five seasons. Sam Allardyce spoke of his relief at securing staff posts along with Premier League survival in the last campaign but the most recent major redundancies came the last time the club was relegated from the top tier in 2003.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunderland inform staff of redundancies

Post  talcnturnip on 2017-02-21, 12:24 pm

Well done SAFC just as I was thinking you couldn't stoop any lower you manage it. A couple of days after taking the squad on an all expenses paid trip to New York, can't see this going down well with the fans.

talcnturnip
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-02-21, 12:49 pm

So the general forecast is that we are relegated this season 

I bet it is staff on low wages who are but a fraction of directors and players
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-02-21, 12:54 pm

sunderpitt wrote:So the general forecast is that we are relegated this season 

I bet it is staff on low wages who are but a fraction of directors and pla
Sadly Sunders it looks like the job losses are if we stay up, go down and it will be worse.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2017-02-21, 3:40 pm

talcnturnip wrote:Well done SAFC just as I was thinking you couldn't stoop any lower you manage it. A couple of days after taking the squad on an all expenses paid trip to New York, can't see this going down well with the fans.

Shocked

timing is atrocious...
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2017-02-21, 4:55 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:So the general forecast is that we are relegated this season 

I bet it is staff on low wages who are but a fraction of directors and pla
Sadly Sunders it looks like the job losses are if we stay up, go down and it will be worse.

We certainly will not be starting with revamped team ready for the grind of the chumpamship
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-02-21, 6:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-02-21, 6:55 pm

I think were jumping to conclusions here.

We know the club is in bother and regardless as to how it has happened we need to listen to see what the accountants say and why before making any rash decisions. Its definitely not good but I thought we could have seen this out until the end of the season prior to embarking on cost cutting measures.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2017-02-21, 6:57 pm

Wasn't this trotted out about the same time last year as well.  If it is a genuine statement by the club then it is lousy, or is just rumour mongering?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-02-21, 7:03 pm

Sunderland redundancies: Here's why Black Cats are cutting jobs as they restructure

Sunderland chief executive Martin Bain has told admin staff that jobs will go, as the club concentrates on its core business after years of drift

BY[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• 16:17, 21 FEB 2017
  • UPDATED16:32, 21 FEB 2017

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Sunderland Chief Executive Martin Bain (Photo: Sunderland AFC)

That redundancies are on their way at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] comes as no surprise, but it is still a bitter pill to swallow for the 90 staff who have been told their jobs are at risk.
Chief executive Martin Bain informed admin and support staff at Black Cat House and the Academy of Light in a series of meetings today that the club would shed jobs as part of what was described in a statement as a ‘realignment of its organisational structure’.

Affected departments include the club’s ticket office, accounts, and media relations divisions.
While no firm figure has been put on the number of staff who are likely to depart, it is thought that it could be in the region of 40 roles - around half the number of jobs that went when Sunderland were relegated from the Premier League in 2003.
Bain joined Sunderland last summer and made it very clear that he had been brought in by owner Ellis Short to review all aspects of the club.
Years of poor management from boardroom level downwards had left the club with a bloated infrastructure that concentrated far too much on fringe projects such as concerts and overseas partnerships, rather than on the core business of football.
With losses of around £25m last year, a £140m debt millstone around its neck, every last penny needed to be diverted towards turning around the on-field fortunes of a club that finds itself fighting relegation for a fifth successive season.

Of course, the salary savings made by this round of redundancies are a drop in the ocean as far as the club’s losses and debt are concerned.
But they mark the latest stage in Bain’s ongoing re-evaluation of a club that had been allowed to run out of control.
Bain had already made a number of off-field changes.
Commerical director Gary Hutchinson - who was instrumental in bringing concerts to the Stadium of Light - left at the end of December, academy manager Ged McNamee and his assistant Danny Philpott also departed before Christmas, as did the club’s human resources manager Mandy Goulden, and two members of admin staff at the training ground.

At the beginning of January, the club also announced that its Sunderland Ladies’ team would revert to part-time status after three years as a full-time operation.

Sunderland’s new-found focus on football will be welcomed by fans however they will also be conscious that it comes at a cost, with club staff paying the price with their jobs.
And the timing of the announcement could not be worse, coming just days after the highly-paid but under-performing first-team squad returned from a week-long visit to New York - a trip about which many supporters already had deep misgivings.
There is no direct link between the events, but the juxtaposition is a public relations nightmare.

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2017-02-21, 7:43 pm

The PR team should be the 1st out of the door for the timing of this.
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  paddocklad on 2017-02-21, 7:56 pm

The cynical part of me thinks open training meet the fans feel good factor was done as a bit of a masking exercise for today's announcement
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum